The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are you giving it your all? Are you sure?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Years ago I was in a room of newly hired employees when a squared-away woman walked-in. Not a hair out of place, steely gaze - just naturally commanding attention. She asked us all to raise our hands as high as we could.

Of course, everyone raised their hands towards the ceiling, straining a bit in our chairs.

"Reach higher" she said. And of course, everyone reached a bit higher, still in their chairs.

"Come on - higher!". And a few people started standing on the tables and chairs until they were literally touching the ceiling.

Point made.

Yes, this was an incredibly simple demonstration but it has stuck with me. When my brain is fried or I'm tired or just totally beat. I ask if I'm really reaching as high as I can.

The funny thing is there should be no end to that question. Short of a life or death situation, it's hard to imagine where I've truly reached down deep and given it everything I've got.

But isn't that what this is? It's life or death. It's 45 years in an economy car, commuting to work, sitting in a cubicle drinking awful coffee BS-ing about the football game last night. It's the gamble MJ has mentioned a hundred times. Hope you don't get fired. Hope you get a raise. Hope the stock market keeps going-up. Hope you don't die a year before retirement.

I keep reaching higher and higher. Getting up earlier, staying-up later. "Sharpening the axe" and chopping more efficiently. I'm actually scared to think about giving it my all because what if it's not enough.

I've got a great life, but did I get it by giving just slightly more than others? Did I realize long ago that most people are slackers and I could get by at a light jog while everyone was walking? Don't let this haunt you. Don't let that be a question.

So how about you? Have you ever given it your all? Are you afraid of what would happen if you did? I am. But I'm learning to get past that.

If you're successful, did it take your "all"? Or maybe just a slight obsession? And what was it like when you totally burst into flames and pursued your goal like a rocket?

Thanks for reading.

-PM

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Logan P

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 6, 2017
New England
Years ago I was in a room of newly hired employees when a squared-away woman walked-in. Not a hair out of place, steely gaze - just naturally commanding attention. She asked us all to raise our hands as high as we could.

Of course, everyone raised their hands towards the ceiling, straining a bit in our chairs.

"Reach higher" she said. And of course, everyone reached a bit higher, still in their chairs.

"Come on - higher!". And a few people started standing on the tables and chairs until they were literally touching the ceiling.

Point made.

Yes, this was an incredibly simple demonstration but it has stuck with me. When my brain is fried or I'm tired or just totally beat. I ask if I'm really reaching as high as I can.

The funny thing is there should be no end to that question. Short of a life or death situation, it's hard to imagine where I've truly reached down deep and given it everything I've got.

But isn't that what this is? It's life or death. It's 45 years in an economy car, commuting to work, sitting in a cubicle drinking awful coffee BS-ing about the football game last night. It's the gamble MJ has mentioned a hundred times. Hope you don't get fired. Hope you get a raise. Hope the stock market keeps going-up. Hope you don't die a year before retirement.

I keep reaching higher and higher. Getting up earlier, staying-up later. "Sharpening the axe" and chopping more efficiently. I'm actually scared to think about giving it my all because what if it's not enough.

I've got a great life, but did I get it by giving just slightly more than others? Did I realize long ago that most people are slackers and I could get by at a light jog while everyone was walking? Don't let this haunt you. Don't let that be a question.

So how about you? Have you ever given it your all? Are you afraid of what would happen if you did? I am. But I'm learning to get past that.

If you're successful, did it take your "all"? Or maybe just a slight obsession? And what was it like when you totally burst into flames and pursued your goal like a rocket?

Thanks for reading.

-PM
I hope I'm posting this properly, if not I'll find out in a minute and delete lol. Anyways, great post! Very simple, but hard-hitting motivational technique! Loved it, thank you!!!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Or maybe just a slight obsession?

I believe you need to be periodically obsessed for the end game; your meaning and purpose. Whatever that is, it must drive you in ways you can't imagine. In the end, nothing matters -- not a football game, not drinking at the club -- only your long-game purpose.

When people lack this, and lack it amidst comfort, the odds of them "Unscripted " is probably less than 1 in a 1000.

My opinion.

Even today, I'm periodically obsessed. And then I wander into balance. And then wander back to obsessed.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Believe it or not, I needed this today. And right now! Thank you!!!!
Glad you enjoyed it! Honestly, there was no technique behind it. Just a brief rough patch and writing those words felt cathartic.

I've said it before but this is a rare place on the internet. Need brutal honesty on an idea? You'll get it. Need to reach-out for help? You'll find that as well. (Just don't waste anybody's time - there's no space for that and the BS-meters are finely tuned).

I like the idea of moving between a balance and obsession. If I get too deep in, I'd lose sight of why I started this journey in the first place. But only wager the ordinary and expect your payment to be ordinary as well.

OK - back to it!

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
I believe you need to be periodically obsessed for the end game; your meaning and purpose. Whatever that is, it must drive you in ways you can't imagine. In the end, nothing matters -- not a football game, not drinking at the club -- only your long-game purpose.

"Periodically obssessed" - man that's exactly the term I was looking for lol.

Me, I'm generally a pretty chill guy cos I'm pretty lucky to have things pretty good in life, and projects are generally smooth and awesome; I have setbacks of course, but perhaps my laidback attitude has kept me from getting too depressed.

I guess it depends on your character and ambitions but to some people (like me, and perhaps you), giving it your all ALL THE FRICKING TIME, perhaps like Gary V is too intense for my liking and since I'm able to accomplish what I want anyway, I'd rather live a life I like and enjoy.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
Dumb question...

How do you know if your "giving it your all"?

John Clancy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Feb 23, 2015
Dumb question...

How do you know if your "giving it your all"?

Not the OP, but here's my perspective on this.

I remember the first "personal development" book I ever read was The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz (nice little book if people are interested... but may be a bit wishy-washy for some).

In it, the author outlined four principles for people to live by, as follows:
qxTEUY3.png

That last one is the one we're concerned with here... and, simply put, all it REALLY means is that you should do what you can.

It doesn't mean you need to grind for 20 hours a day, focusing on one area of your life to the exclusion of everything else.

It doesn't mean that you need to ratchet up the intensity of every workout, slapping yourself in the face and squatting until you pass out.

It doesn't mean that you consistently neglect to sleep, eat or take care of yourself so you can get more important things done.

Nope, nothing like this.

Your "best" is going to change from moment to moment. Some days, things just click: you're performing well, you're solving problems, and you feel like you're ten foot tall...

and then there's other days where it takes ~87.6% of your willpower just to drag yourself out of bed in the morning.

I don't think anyone's immune to this: we all have good days and bad days.

In the words of Theodore Roosevelt... "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

Don't lie to yourself. If you KNOW you can do more, then do more.
Your goals are your own, and ultimately, the only one who knows if you can do more is you.

Be present with your loved ones - don't do less than your best by being distracted by your phone while they're trying to talk to you.

When it's time to work, put in the work - don't let fear or hesitation hold you back. Do what you need to do to succeed.

If you do your best in whatever circumstances yo find yourself in, you'll at least be able to move forward without wondering "What if I had tried harder?"
Whatever else you ask yourself, don't let that be the question on your lips.

Hope this helps.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
Not the OP, but here's my perspective on this.

I remember the first "personal development" book I ever read was The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz (nice little book if people are interested... but may be a bit wishy-washy for some).

In it, the author outlined four principles for people to live by, as follows:
qxTEUY3.png

That last one is the one we're concerned with here... and, simply put, all it REALLY means is that you should do what you can.

It doesn't mean you need to grind for 20 hours a day, focusing on one area of your life to the exclusion of everything else.

It doesn't mean that you need to ratchet up the intensity of every workout, slapping yourself in the face and squatting until you pass out.

It doesn't mean that you consistently neglect to sleep, eat or take care of yourself so you can get more important things done.

Nope, nothing like this.

Your "best" is going to change from moment to moment. Some days, things just click: you're performing well, you're solving problems, and you feel like you're ten foot tall...

and then there's other days where it takes ~87.6% of your willpower just to drag yourself out of bed in the morning.

I don't think anyone's immune to this: we all have good days and bad days.

In the words of Theodore Roosevelt... "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

Don't lie to yourself. If you KNOW you can do more, then do more.
Your goals are your own, and ultimately, the only one who knows if you can do more is you.

Be present with your loved ones - don't do less than your best by being distracted by your phone while they're trying to talk to you.

When it's time to work, put in the work - don't let fear or hesitation hold you back. Do what you need to do to succeed.

If you do your best in whatever circumstances yo find yourself in, you'll at least be able to move forward without wondering "What if I had tried harder?"
Whatever else you ask yourself, don't let that be the question on your lips.

Hope this helps.

Thanks +Rep !

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.