The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

App Developer

hatzil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Nov 29, 2015
Israel
I want my users to be able to:
1.register(usernames,passwords and stuff)
2. be able to generate user content- upload multimedia(pictures,vids,text).
I'm going to use cloud service, but a bit confused. From what I understand there is google firebase, amazon s3 and amazon RDS.
What do you recommend to use?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Talking of Android/iOS, I've just learned to my dismay that I can't run a service with iOS. I want the App to give the user a notification to use the App, but the App has to be open all the time. That's a bummer! Anyone have any idea how to overcome this limitation?
I want my users to be able to:
1.register(usernames,passwords and stuff)
2. be able to generate user content- upload multimedia(pictures,vids,text).
I'm going to use cloud service, but a bit confused. From what I understand there is google firebase, amazon s3 and amazon RDS.
What do you recommend to use?
Love to answer this question for you, first gotta have an answer from you;

How much time and effort do you want to put into the SysOps stuff?
If you find money important, build something with a server from DigitalOcean.

Look into FeathersJS, it's like Google Firebase but open-source.
It will give you a little bit more control (and responsibility), Firebase is simpler but more costly than FeathersJS + DigitalOcean.

I'd like to know what you are building, maybe we can mean something to each other, just PM me if you don't want to talk about it here.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
Talking of Android/iOS, I've just learned to my dismay that I can't run a service with iOS. I want the App to give the user a notification to use the App, but the App has to be open all the time. That's a bummer! Anyone have any idea how to overcome this limitation?

iOS supports local notifications your app does not have to be in foreground mode (ie open) to receive this. Google iOS local notification background mode for information on how to get this to work.

Obiwan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 15, 2016
Durban South Africa
iOS supports local notifications your app does not have to be in foreground mode (ie open) to receive this. Google iOS local notification background mode for information on how to get this to work.
Thanks. Well that's a relief.

KOS2186

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 29, 2016
Massachusetts, USA

Justine

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 9, 2016
How do you decide what app to make? I made my first app recently and I'm struggling with ideas for another one.
I have an idea for an 2 apps, I think they are fantastic. About finding an app to build, shouldn't it be about problem you are trying to solve? If is it about creating value, then it will not be very hard.

Justine

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 9, 2016
About 7months ago, I tried to teach myself how to code and develop an app or a web, but I couldn't break through. What materials do you suggest that I get so that learning can be easy?

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
About 7months ago, I tried to teach myself how to code and develop an app or a web, but I couldn't break through. What materials do you suggest that I get so that learning can be easy?

My advice would be first to become clear on what you want to do. Teach app / web sounds like you just think you need to know how to code but don't really have a reason why. Much easier to get a starting point if you have a clear idea where you are headed. For example, if you have an idea for a future SAAS project then it's easier to narrow down what you should learn and it would be completely different than if you wanted to develop say an iPhone app.

So what is the reason you are gaining the coding knowledge?

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
If I may add to eTox's suggestion, you can take Harvard's Intro to CS course from last year for free on EdX. I was struggling a little bit to learn programming on my own and it really helped some things click for me. It can be found here:
https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x

As someone who has a computer science degree I will tell you that if I was learning coding for a fastlane purpose I would not go this route.

I would offer the same advice as in my previous comment in this thread. What is your reason for gaining this knowledge? What is your long term goal? Once you figure this out then determine the first steps. If it to build an app, do some Udemy courses on building a simple app in your platform of choice. If it's a game, find some Unity courses. If it is a webapp, do some googling into platforms like Rails, Django or whatever the web dev flavour of the month is. Don't get overwhelmed with the possibilities, narrow something down that looks like a fit and get started. Once you build something simple, scale up. You may be able to start building components for your project, or maybe you need some more advanced tutorials, my advice is to keep it practical. I think you will learn faster and gain more relevant knowledge from doing projects (ie tutorials like Udemy courses) than you will with recorded comp sci lectures.

I'm glad I have my degree, but hindsight is 20/20, I was young when I did it and had no real guidance. If you goal is to create a software product, focus on the practical and not academics.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
just get your self Android Studio (for android) or Xcode (for iOS) and go through any of their free tutorials, thats the best way to learn. always has been.

I agree get started. I would advise though.. you get what you pay for and would be wary of free tutorials starting out. I think it's worthwhile to pay for courses. This should ring especially true for the crowd here who values time over money. There are good free tutorials out there, stack overflow is an excellent free resource (for every programming language) as is ray wenderlich for iOS. There are good blogs, etc. But I go to these when I want to learn something specific like implementing push notifications. If I were learning to code from scratch, pay for a Udemy course, it will cost like $50 and you want have to deal with shitty audio and worrying whether or not the "teacher" knows what they are talking about. You'll learn better practices and it will save you a ton of time.

A few years ago I wanted to develop a game in Unity, so I started with the freebies. Youtube videos on Unity, Blender, etc. Painfully going through demos of crappy audio, extremely slow narrators, etc. Then I found CGCookie for $20 a month or something. It was lightyears better and I kept asking wtf I didn't do that sooner.

KOS2186

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 29, 2016
Massachusetts, USA
As someone who has a computer science degree I will tell you that if I was learning coding for a fastlane purpose I would not go this route.

I would offer the same advice as in my previous comment in this thread. What is your reason for gaining this knowledge? What is your long term goal? Once you figure this out then determine the first steps. If it to build an app, do some Udemy courses on building a simple app in your platform of choice. If it's a game, find some Unity courses. If it is a webapp, do some googling into platforms like Rails, Django or whatever the web dev flavour of the month is. Don't get overwhelmed with the possibilities, narrow something down that looks like a fit and get started. Once you build something simple, scale up. You may be able to start building components for your project, or maybe you need some more advanced tutorials, my advice is to keep it practical. I think you will learn faster and gain more relevant knowledge from doing projects (ie tutorials like Udemy courses) than you will with recorded comp sci lectures.

I'm glad I have my degree, but hindsight is 20/20, I was young when I did it and had no real guidance. If you goal is to create a software product, focus on the practical and not academics.

I completely agree with your point, and I wasn't suggesting that one take that class to focus on academics.

I don't have a computer science degree (or any degree, for that matter), and I learned to code for the express purpose of using it in a business.

When I was starting out, I read books and followed tutorials focused on what I wanted to learn: iOS app development.

After a while, I was in a position where I could cobble apps together using things I had learned, but I didn't really understand what I was doing. If something I wanted to make had a feature I hadn't seen already in a tutorial, I generally had trouble implementing it. This was detrimental to the execution of my plan.

In an effort to solve that problem, I took that class. It had no monetary cost, though it did eat up a lot of my free time for about two months. In order to stay focused on what my end game was, I made a simple iOS app as my final project.

Now that I have a better understanding of what's going on when I write code, I'm able to take something from the idea stage to the execution stage, without having to rely on copying code snippets and banging my head against a wall if something doesn't seem to work. That class was a great deal of help in getting me to that point.

Just my experience. I'm sure that minds sharper than mine will have no problem learning everything they need the way you've described.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
I completely agree with your point, and I wasn't suggesting that one take that class to focus on academics.

I don't have a computer science degree (or any degree, for that matter), and I learned to code for the express purpose of using it in a business.

When I was starting out, I read books and followed tutorials focused on what I wanted to learn: iOS app development.

After a while, I was in a position where I could cobble apps together using things I had learned, but I didn't really understand what I was doing. If something I wanted to make had a feature I hadn't seen already in a tutorial, I generally had trouble implementing it. This was detrimental to the execution of my plan.

In an effort to solve that problem, I took that class. It had no monetary cost, though it did eat up a lot of my free time for about two months. In order to stay focused on what my end game was, I made a simple iOS app as my final project.

Now that I have a better understanding of what's going on when I write code, I'm able to take something from the idea stage to the execution stage, without having to rely on copying code snippets and banging my head against a wall if something doesn't seem to work. That class was a great deal of help in getting me to that point.

Just my experience. I'm sure that minds sharper than mine will have no problem learning everything they need the way you've described.

Great point. Obviously my advice is filtered through my own biases, experiences, etc. I guess when I saw the reference to comp sci courses I just assumed (remembered) academia. Truth be told my first year intro classes were pretty practical and may in fact offer a better (read thorough - but as a result more time consuming) fundamental understanding of programming than Udemy or what I would consider more "practical" courses. It's really the later CS courses where it gets to be highly academic and in my opinion probably not relevant for majority of people looking to learn programming to build a product. Glad it worked out for you.

Have you released your app yet?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.