The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone read the Art of War?

SirKonstantine

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jun 10, 2011
Heard it was good from several people but haven't gotten to read it yet since I know it is free o Kindle and I'm just waiting for my sister to send me mine that I left at her house.

Did it change your life?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dezzamondo

Indefatigable
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 11, 2012
Worcester, UK
Art of war was a good book to read in general. If you sit and think about each script then you'll probably start looking at things from a different perspective.

Another book I would suggest is the Japanese "Book of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi. Its a more comprehensive set of books as opposed to a series of proverbs and has more to offer from a business point of view. But as with all ancient oriental texts, its all open to interpreation!

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
The art of war never really hit home for me. Read a couple of chapters and put it away. I even gave it away to some stranger the other day. That does not say its a bad book. I think its great. But, like with all books, they need to hit you at a certain time in your life. I would have put the power of now when I was 18, now it's the best book I ever read.

I would try it out. You can always put it away and read it again another time.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
lol I know you from the RSD forums. Nice to see ya.

I've read the Art of War.

It's one of those books that are vague yet useful. Not a cover to cover read but, there is definitely something about reading eastern philosophy that gives you a kind of intuition and extra dimensional perception to many aspects of life including business.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Did it change your life?

Maybe not, but it did influence it.

I'd say a great book and worth reading.

Very much wisdom in it, especially if you have a bit of imagination to use the instructions as metaphor to whatever is your battlefield (business, sport...).

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Read it somewhat. Very conceptual like 48 laws of Power. I would not go so far as to call it life changing but a good book to reference.

Fastlane Millionaire now that's a life changer.

Guest682

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 29, 2012
I've read 48 laws of power, I'd say its similar, these reads do poise you for others who choose to exploit whether it comes consciously to them or not, it does help you identify these traits and minimize damage in your life by those who build using deceit and exploit.

To me strategies born out of these mindsets create much limitation for the operator, while being aware of these traits in others I usually just dismiss the individual from my life. However, sometimes its easy to gain leverage over their engineered limitation, I prefer however to approach any opportunity with love, simply by helping and offering positive & valuable solutions to needs, it makes the conditions of my systems incompatible for the exploitative inherently making my life more positive.

two things that have helped me understand cut throat business people better, body language and NLP. Two good shows to watch "Lie to Me" and "Damages"

Also you might want to watch movie Margin Call, it views as a fly-on-the-wall perspective of a high-profile investment bank and gives the watcher a front row seat to the musings and actions of "Wall Street INSIDERS". Truly eye opening for me.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
I love Damages- I love Patty Hewes! Glenn Close is totally convincing in that role. Sad the series just ended. :(

I hated the ending to Margin Call- and yes it was crazy how for some of the employees salvaging and hoarding all the money trumped everything else- even if it meant intentionally hurting other people.

Halffull

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Oct 25, 2012
There's a lot of unnecessary shit in the art of war, like you'll be reading a lot about which type of soil makes the best defensive position. And some of the passages are so obscure and hard to translate that two different translators can create opposite meanings. I read a variation where they went through all the different translations, which was fascinating, but just made me realize how enigmatic the work really is.

There are a few choice quotes and lessons that I learned, but I think you'd be better off getting a modern book on strategy, such as 48 laws of power, etc.

CTamme

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Sep 27, 2012
QC, Iowa
Another book I would suggest is the Japanese "Book of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi. Its a more comprehensive set of books as opposed to a series of proverbs and has more to offer from a business point of view. But as with all ancient oriental texts, its all open to interpreation!

I have both on my shelf and prefer "Book of Five Rings". Musashi is incredible.

MHolland

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Dec 26, 2013
Heard it was good from several people but haven't gotten to read it yet since I know it is free o Kindle and I'm just waiting for my sister to send me mine that I left at her house.

Did it change your life?

I listened to the audio book version of it. Don't expect fireworks but it is definitely a powerful tool to have in your arsenal. I suggest playing it in the background any time you have a few minutes to spare so you can absorb the material gradually.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.