The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Anyone read The Sovereign Individual?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

KAIZOS

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
I'm halfway through this book and it amazes me so much. I think it is in my top 5 of the ~100 books I have read the past years.

"Mastering the transition to the Information Age" is a must, and people who are not will be left behind and it won't be pretty.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

guitarguru12

Contributor
Jan 1, 2021
I'm halfway through this book and it amazes me so much. I think it is in my top 5 of the ~100 books I have read the past years.

"Mastering the transition to the Information Age" is a must, and people who are not will be left behind and it won't be pretty.
I just finished it on audiobook.

I hate to use a term that's thrown around all too often these days, but it's an actual game-changer. It's radically altered the way I look at the world.

I'm currently recommending it to just about everyone I know who I think can handle it.

Insane to think it was written in '96. Prescient as hell

KAIZOS

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
I just finished it on audiobook.

I hate to use a term that's thrown around all too often these days, but it's an actual game-changer. It's radically altered the way I look at the world.

I'm currently recommending it to just about everyone I know who I think can handle it.

Insane to think it was written in '96. Prescient as hell

I agree with every word you said.

Also, this book was really hard to get (at least in physical form). I now regard this as a good thing, because the knowledge gives an extreme edge going into the future.

guitarguru12

Contributor
Jan 1, 2021
I agree with every word you said.

Also, this book was really hard to get (at least in physical form). I now regard this as a good thing, because the knowledge gives an extreme edge going into the future.

I respect you for getting through the physical book - it's an absolute tome.

I smashed through it on Audible at the gym. I intend to read the physical copy one day when I have time to cement the ideas.

I would highly recommend The Bitcoin Standard as a companion piece and follow up. It feels like it picks up where Sovereign leaves off in many ways

alexkuzmov

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

What is it about? Can you write a breif summary?

KAIZOS

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
What is it about? Can you write a breif summary?

It is about the changes that microprocessors (and the internet) evoke on the systems that our society is based on.

It reflects on past periods in history where technological revolutions took place, how it shook the way we dealt with violence (by use of government), and how those transitioning periods into new eras looked like. An example would be when the church was government and the printing press radically altered the systems that society was based on.

It extrapolates those past disruptions and the effects on us as how we live as humans into the future to predict how the new era will look like. It was written around 1996-1997 and predicted e-commerce, crypto/blockchain and a rise in nationalism (brexit/trump).

The book predicts that because of the emerging cybereconomy, nation-states will have trouble taxing their citizens and devaluing currency to sustain their bloated expenses as a welfare state. This will ultimately lead to the fall of the nation-state as we know of. After a transition crisis a new era will emerge called the information age, where sovereign individuals will be the norm.

This is a very concise summary, because the book has a lot of depth.

Last edited:

monfii

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 3, 2020
Brussels
It is about the changes that microprocessors (and the internet) evoke on the systems that our society is based on.

It reflects on past periods in history where technological revolutions took place, how it shook the way we dealt with violence (by use of government), and how those transitioning periods into new eras looked like. An example would be when the church was government and the printing press radically altered the systems that society was based on.

It extrapolates those past disruptions and the effects on us as how we live as humans into the future to predict how the new era will look like. It was written around 1996-1997 and predicted e-commerce, crypto/blockchain and a rise in nationalism (brexit/trump).

The book predicts that because of the emerging cybereconomy, nation-states will have trouble taxing their citizens and devaluing currency to sustain their bloated expenses as a welfare state. This will ultimately lead to the fall of the nation-state as we know of. After a transition crisis a new era will emerge called the information age, where sovereign individuals will be the norm.

This is a very concise summary, because the book has a lot of depth.
Weirdly premonitory.

I'll add it to the list, thanks!

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 13, 2020
UK
I was looking for a new book on Audible, thanks!

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE 7 Days To Freedom: From Wantrepreneur/Wage Slave To Freelancer
What time will course be in Hong Kong? It will be very late, at 1:00 AM HK time as the starting...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
I am going to test this for a month and see how it goes... If anyone wants to join using Crypto...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
If you are in IDEA mode, text "IDEA" to the above number. If you are in LAUNCH/START mode, text...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
I have a long weekend off work.. bought your "Start a Freelance Business: Take Back Your...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
If there’s one thread I see repeated over and over again on the forum, it goes like this: “I...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend for those who are still in the process of...

Forum Sponsor

Over 100 Fastlane Students
More Details...

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom