The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone learning something useful in quarantine?

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I always try to learn something new, but nothing special at this moment. I continue work normally, so I don't have a lot of time like other people that spend his valuable time watching Netflix or news (how can they waste 3 hours of a day watching a report about a one person who broke the quarentine?). That doesn't mean that I can't read a lot like always do, specially finance, business and self-improvement.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
@ARMAT

It is really true. The easiest pivot or re-focus for alot of us is what we have been doing for quite some time. Work from home. We have some leverage.

I feel for the touchy feely niches and markets like Massage, big gathering type of businesses, Some Fitness trainers etc..I know many are devastated.

But also I am excited because I am going to help alot of people learn to pivot to Online Marketing. :)

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 7, 2015
I want to learn Vietnamese and I need to get off my a$$ and choose a course. Leaning toward Pimsleur at the moment.

Any recommendations?

Swift

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
May 10, 2019
USA
All that restless energy is begging for an outlet. If you're already doing as much as you can/should/need-to do in a day for your business, how about courses? Or learning a new skill? There are lots of free courses on EdX. I'm interested in more sophisticated financing, and biotech, so I'm doing this one at the moment:

Daughter is taking a critical thinking course after she finishes her school stuff. Also on EdX.

Well, have fun out there.
Jordan Belfort StraightLine Sales certification has been the best course/learning investment I've made this year

jwhanke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Mar 26, 2018
Akron, OH
The things I'm doing during the Pandemic
  • Cyber Security Course on Udemy
  • Rereading Millionare Fastlane, Factfulness, the Righteous Mind. Reading the Lord of the Rings.
  • Had a quadplex contract fall through last week, so now allocating bandwidth to find cash flowing stocks to dollar cost average into this spring/summer/next year.
  • Catching up with friends through video chat and texting
  • Watching Tiger King and playing animal crossing/cod ;)

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Everyone seems to be learning or stretching their minds in some way during this window of time. The elephant in the room is -- Can we each make this a regular habit? If we can each spend a few minutes every day to learn or do something new, we'll all be better for the experience!

VoraciousReader

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
May 31, 2017
UK
Yes actually, this has been an awesome time to learn

At the moment it's

- Bulgarian language
- Growth Marketing from an awesome course I got from my work
- building apps with bubble

Making great progress

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
I've been binging on Master Class under all the culinary arts. Having access to Michelin Star chefs like Thomas Keller and Gordon Ramsay along with BBQ expertise from Aaron Franklin makes my quarantine cuisine well worth it.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Everyone seems to be learning or stretching their minds in some way during this window of time. The elephant in the room is -- Can we each make this a regular habit? If we can each spend a few minutes every day to learn or do something new, we'll all be better for the experience!

I started this in the very beginning of the year, but added a few things due to all those educational sites being on sale. Bought discounted memberships at Linux academy and data camp, and going through a CISSP course online and an interactive Python course already.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Taking a break from the usual courses and using the time off to get a better mindset.

Wim hof has been a game changer. Looking back now it was like I wasn't breathing before. It's the only type of meditation that's worked for me.

Also doing JP's self authoring suite.

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
Master Gardener course, completed: I knew 95% of it already; free
RE Wholesale course, completed: very stupid, common sense stuff; formerly $997, currently free, worth maybe $5
Writing for Dollars course, in process since last fall; reworking it from the beginning, as writing seems to be all I'm good at; hopefully worth the $150/mo fee
Forensic Archeology and Anthropology, just started; beginner level stuff, but solid; free

I'm also building a raised bed garden and full chicken coop, which counts as exercise. Also, trying to figure out how to use one of NASA's free patents to manufacture something in my field, and get back on the Fastlane.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Master Gardener course, completed: I knew 95% of it already; free
RE Wholesale course, completed: very stupid, common sense stuff; formerly $997, currently free, worth maybe $5
Writing for Dollars course, in process since last fall; reworking it from the beginning, as writing seems to be all I'm good at; hopefully worth the $150/mo fee
Forensic Archeology and Anthropology, just started; beginner level stuff, but solid; free

I'm also building a raised bed garden and full chicken coop, which counts as exercise. Also, trying to figure out how to use one of NASA's free patents to manufacture something in my field, and get back on the Fastlane.

Which RE wholesaling course? I took one that was actually good. It was in person though.

Also, as a fellow chicken owner, how many chickens do you plan to have? Are their raccoons in your area? If so, they are chaotic evil and will reach their little hands through chicken wire and pull the poor b'gock's lil heads off :`( PSA.

Meerten

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jan 31, 2016
Hell yea
I'm learning C++ and Git.
And everything and anything about protein folding.
Autodidactical, as always. I don't do classes.

I am now at "job-ready" level with Java/Android and C++ pretty close to it.
Not that it means much, because naturally I will do everything in my power not to get (stuck in) one lol.
Because if I start doing this stuff non-stop, my passion for it sort of dies.
Happened before, really don't want it to happen again.

Now, the real challenge would be to find a good substitute for myself for in the biz.
With the experience that I now have it's going to be way easier to judge another's work.
That's how I'd like my SaaS: boss *could* do pretty much anything but not everything.
Then you can really have both hands on the steering wheel.

Dianne Cohen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Sep 7, 2018
-Spanish
-Computer Competency (Which basically means new computer stuff. With my level of competency, anything is progress)
-Figuring out what is next

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Hell yea
I'm learning C++ and Git.
And everything and anything about protein folding.
Autodidactical, as always. I don't do classes.

I am now at "job-ready" level with Java/Android and C++ pretty close to it.
Not that it means much, because naturally I will do everything in my power not to get (stuck in) one lol.
Because if I start doing this stuff non-stop, my passion for it sort of dies.
Happened before, really don't want it to happen again.

Now, the real challenge would be to find a good substitute for myself for in the biz.
With the experience that I now have it's going to be way easier to judge another's work.
That's how I'd like my SaaS: boss *could* do pretty much anything but not everything.
Then you can really have both hands on the steering wheel.

Protein folding! Cool! Plan to design a protein simulator? That stuff is useful for drug development, research, etc.

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
Which RE wholesaling course? I took one that was actually good. It was in person though.

Also, as a fellow chicken owner, how many chickens do you plan to have? Are their raccoons in your area? If so, they are chaotic evil and will reach their little hands through chicken wire and pull the poor b'gock's lil heads off :`( PSA.

I am building the Fort Knox of chicken coops. One of the top 5 most horrifying and disgusting times in my life was helping a friend after a pack of raccoons devastated her coop and left 32 carcasses in various degrees of dismembered bloody pieces. Horror movies got nothing on that mess. So, yes, a double wall, with the outside wall electrified. Plus a dog, and a teenager with a .22. I hate raccoons.

Meerten

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jan 31, 2016
Protein folding! Cool! Plan to design a protein simulator? That stuff is useful for drug development, research, etc.
Ya. I want to study it enough to be able to manually fold for coronavirus on fold.it.
They're still looking for more brains there. Although I'm not sure if mine's exceptional enough.
Being a programmer soon enough you'll figure out there are smarter people than you out there lol.

Protein simulator? You hit the nail on the head.
I'm actually working on F@H's Viewer right now: https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-viewer/pull/21
And soon may go to take a dive into the core itself. I'm pretty excited.

Last edited:

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
JavaScript - React / Redux/Node.js/PostgreSQL

3 to 6 hours a day, every day.

Highly recommend this guy - $11 on Udemy:

If this keeps up for two to three months I could be a half-decent full-stack developer when all is said and done.

JHZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 24, 2017
México
I’ve been learning to code in freecodecamp. I strongly recommend this site to anybody that desires to learn to code/web design/etc. Plus is free!

XxThelionxX

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 26, 2017
Texas
Reading, reading, reading. I have books for days.

Started a fitness journey. Freeletics. It was a bundle. Great deal!

...and pushing towards a growth mindset.

SJuan9

Patrón
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Nov 22, 2017
USA
Been learning a lot about business structures, S-corps, tax filings, loans, bookeeping and general business finances. It's amazing the amount of deductions you can get if you structure your business right and in-line with your lifestyle and living conditions.

Faithlaine

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Aug 28, 2013
Listening news in French, English, and Spanish to either learn or improve pronunciation and vocabulary. I'm learning Blender. Writing in French, translating my books in Spanish. Plus taking care of my school-age boy.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Today I learned to play ZORK over telnet. Didn't last long, but it was nerd-fun. My eyes needed a break. Actually, this didn't give my eyes a break at all. I should go outside more.

Also, I learned that browser plugins are... multipurpose. There are some delightful plugins for inspecting headers / requests over https. They show you everything, including url, routes, usernames, passwords, etc.

Of course, one hopes such things are used for fun and good. But a malicious browser plugin/exploit would so easily own someone, good lord. You probably should't log into your bank from that adware-infected computer there.

On the (bright?) side, the same https-looking functionality be used for fun reverse engineering APIs. That's what I did for most of the day. You can find out all sorts of things about unpublished / undocumented APIs. Imagine that!

It's good news if you want to reverse engineer APIs.

It's bad news if you don't want people reverse engineering your APIs.

aeden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Feb 28, 2020
Melbourne, FL
vanilla java script, I want to master it before the frame works.

I've been doing the same. I'm curious about how far I can go with just modern vanilla JS. So far I'm impressed with what is possible without frameworks.

I also started working on something new in Erlang since it's been a couple years since I've started a fresh Erlang project. Progress was made. :)

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018
The most frustrating thing for me is reading through and seeing just how many different courses and things you can learn, so I get stuck and don't know which to do.

Plus I know you are supposed to pursue something that I have skills in now, which is why it's so daunting to look at all these courses and feel like I'm starting over again. I don't want to start over, I wish I had enough experience in something now to move forward. I've "dabbled" a lot and that's about it.

Last edited:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
The most frustrating thing for me is reading through and seeing just how many different courses and things you can learn, so I get stuck and don't know which to do.

Plus I know you are supposed to pursue something that I have skills in now, which is why it's so daunting to look at all these courses and feel like I'm starting over again. I don't want to start over, I wish I had enough experience in something now to move forward. I've "dabbled" a lot and that's about it.

I like to enroll in 5 with the plan to keep 1-2. When I get to the point in one of them where I think "this is terrible! Useless!" then I abondon that one. One or two will likely be good choices.

Just dive in :playful:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.