The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any experienced inventors of simple objects?

treinjapan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 8, 2012
Hello! :D

I have a couple of ideas for simple household items. I'm trying to figure out what steps to take next, especially since both of the ideas can be easily knocked-off. I've looked around on the web, Google patents, and the US patent office briefly, but haven't found any similar products. I also want to try to make some prototypes, but don't have access to CAD or 3D printers or anything like that....and neither of the objects can easily be made from other things.

I have a small amount of cash available for the projects.

Any ideas where to start? :confused:

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ikke

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 20, 2012
Netherlands
Local universities or schools that have this equipment and skills in house? Or just a local prototyping business, they do exist and are more common than one would think.

I don't know where you are located but I know a few around me if you are interested. And if you really have a hard time I may be able to help you personally as I can CAD, CAM, CNC mill, turn and have stuff 3D printed by a good friend.

Good luck with your search :thumbsup:

Alana

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Nov 16, 2012
In the middle of a national forest (in N. CA)
As a fist step, consider getting a sketch pad (one for each idea). Record detailed notes and sketches (don't worry if you're not an artist....). Include uses for the item, specs for building it and an original and identifiable name. Having a witness sign off on your product sketch book (may) help prevent product theft too (and make sure everything is dated).
You don't necessarily have to make the exact product to start with. Usually I'll just make the general concept of the product out of materials I can buy at a home improvement store and/or craft store. I go home and assemble it best as I can so that I have a real life example (even if it's a very raw one). This gives me a chance to at least have a real life visual aid for it, and usually at this stage I can spot flaws with the concept and tweak it from there.
You might want to consider showing some friends/family the idea at this point (with a preface that this is a very rough concept of the idea) just so that they have a visual aid and can say "Oh, yeah, I see what you're getting at..." instead of just telling them the concept.
As a side note: if your customer is a female homeowner ....then feel free to email me a concept and I'll give my honest feedback

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Look up rapid prototyping. They offer some free engineering advice and can give you a crude prototype for a few hundred bucks.

You can file a provisional patent, attorney's may charge 1500-2000, or do it yourself.

Or, just get to market quickly and sell the hell out of it to create a brand name. Don't let paralysis by analysis set in. You'll notice in life there is something called mass awareness. Chances are since you are thinking of a certain idea, that hundreds/thousands/millions are also doing the same. The winner is the one who takes action.

Look at taking a fleece blanket and cutting some arm holes in it. Call it a Snuggie and sell tens of millions before the knockoffs come, become a multi-millionaire and move on to the next idea.

Read Stephen Keys book One Simple Idea, its a good overview. He also has a thread on here to answer questions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.