The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

And now I shall spin yarns....

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
After reading Held for Ransom's thread, something in me clicked on. And after reading ChickenHawk's thread, I decided that writing fiction and self publishing is what I need to be doing. It's something that has crossed my mind before. I've ghost-written erotica stories, but failed to take the leap for myself. Currently I make a living as a freelance content writer. One of my original fastlane ideas dealt with content marketing, but it would take more funds, resources, and knowledge than I currently have access to. Self publishing, however, I feel much more confident about. Not that I'm under the illusion that it will be easy. But I've been writing stories for as long as I can remember. So let's put this thing to work.

As HFR suggested, I've been doing some research on Amazon to pin down some profitable genres. I'm not thrilled about the idea of going back into erotica because I have memories of a warrior forum WSO that seemed to spur every other internet marketer into publishing erotica on Amazon. However, as HFR also pointed out, self publishing is an endurance race, and consistently putting out good titles sets one apart from one who calls it quits after three. So I just might do erotica again under one pen name, and a couple Fantasy and Science Fiction genres under another. Still playing with ideas.

This is going to be HARD for me. Consistency is not my strong suit. I suffer from major depression, and my productivity really suffers from it. However I still intend to keep working toward my goals whilst I'm seeking treatment.

Tomorrow I'm going to start outlining my plan of action. I have ideas for two stories in my head now. I'm excited and nervous at the same. I'm nervousited! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
Today has been too much of a debacle...it involved my last $25 being frozen in my bank account and having to walk seven miles home (well three miles...it would've been seven if it hadn't been for that merciful taxi driver). I really really hate being broke. Things like this happen to me too often. Ironically this is the day I was to start working on my fastlane. I'll just consider today's fiasco a healthy little fire under my a**, as Ze Frank would put it. :)

So after I got home, I checked my email, then sat down to write out my plan of action in my fastlane notebook (A composition notebook I bought for a dollar). I decided to create two pen names, one for erotica and another for the Sci Fi and Fantasy genres. Does this sound plausible, or am I creating too much work for myself? I figured I could have a better chance at success if I had two irons in the fire.

I have following goals:
  • Create my first novel outline by April 10
  • Finish my first novel by July
  • Publish three titles by January '15
Granted I don't know if it would take me nine months to finish three titles or not, but I figured Parkinson's law would apply here. I once read how Junot Diaz took years to write The Brief and Wonderful Life of Oscar Wao. How he'd put it away for years, then taken it back out again, and how it was such a labor of love for him. I read something similar of Wilson Rawls and his stories. So I've always had it in my mind that novels must be labored over for years. However, reading this section of the forum has given me another perspective altogether. Creating a story can be a methodical process without being heartless and mechanical. Also, thanks Held for Ransome for the link to the Killing the Sacred Cows of Publishing blog post. That helped change my perspectives a lot too.

So I'm going to use the rest of March to research my genres, brainstorm, and get some feedback on my writing. I've been downloading ebooks from Amazon and I'm currently reading A Signal Shattered by Eric S. Nylund (The sequel to Signal to Noise).

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
So after I got home, I checked my email, then sat down to write out my plan of action in my fastlane notebook (A composition notebook I bought for a dollar). I decided to create two pen names, one for erotica and another for the Sci Fi and Fantasy genres. Does this sound plausible, or am I creating too much work for myself? I figured I could have a better chance at success if I had two irons in the fire.

I love pen names. I like that you can work on them how you want, when you want. But, one thing to keep in mind is that unless you're planning to pump out stories at a pace fast enough to maintain two pen names, concentrating on one genre is probably going to yield faster success. Building readership/fans is tough, especially if you're splitting your energy between two completely separate genres and pen names.

Personally, I'd pick the genre you like most, read and research it, and just pound away at it, or at least devote the majority of your energy to it.

1milclub

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jan 27, 2014
US

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
I love pen names. I like that you can work on them how you want, when you want. But, one thing to keep in mind is that unless you're planning to pump out stories at a pace fast enough to maintain two pen names, concentrating on one genre is probably going to yield faster success. Building readership/fans is tough, especially if you're splitting your energy between two completely separate genres and pen names.

Personally, I'd pick the genre you like most, read and research it, and just pound away at it, or at least devote the majority of your energy to it.

That makes perfect sense...I will already have enough on my plate with just one pen name. Thanks for the input. :)

You are on your way to success ... if you can persevere! All the best.

I so appreciate that. :) Thank you!

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I've ghost-written erotica stories, but failed to take the leap for myself. Currently I make a living as a freelance content writer.

You've written before... you have this one in the bag! Just keep your goals in focus... EVERY DAY, and it will happen. Welcome to the party! :)

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
One thing you'll learn if you haunt enough threads in this sub-forum is that the majority of us don't aspire to write great literature, or if we do, we know it isn't that which will pay our bills. @Thriftypreneur alluded to it when he spoke of a fast pace.

You clearly have a command of the language and experience in telling stories. Find a genre that sells well and put those talents to work. You'll succeed financially faster if you approach it as more of a business than a labor of love. If that's what's important to you. Nothing wrong with labors of love, but often they don't pay the bills.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Today has been too much of a debacle...it involved my last $25 being frozen in my bank account and having to walk seven miles home (well three miles...it would've been seven if it hadn't been for that merciful taxi driver). I really really hate being broke. Things like this happen to me too often.

As awful as things like this are, they make for interesting stories. Sometimes, the most compelling fiction characters are those who have the worst luck and yet somehow rise above it. Maybe you can channel some of these experiences into your stories and maybe even profit from them. Either way, here's wishing you lots of success!

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
So I've been doing some research on things like plot and outlining. What I've found so far has been very helpful. I was very gung ho about jumping into sci fi (I am a huge huge space nerd....huge). But after a conversation with a fellow forum member, I decided erotica and/or romance would be the best path to take right now. It's what I have experience with, and I don't feel daunted by huge amounts of required research. Plus the buyer pool is bigger. I'd still like to try my hand at sci fi somewhere down the line. But for now, erotic/romance.

I was surprised to learn that some folks on this board can write a book within one month. Since I am fairly new and make my living aside from writing fiction, I think three months is a fair goal to shoot for. I've written some notes on my first book idea. I love the concept of serendipity, so I'm taking that and my own personal experiences and combining it into a book. I've written the first few paragraphs. I will try not to overthink or self edit as I go (though it's hard). I try to keep this quote in mind:

“Writing is like driving at night in the fog. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.” ― E.L. Doctorow

It seems that early on in my romance career, I might have a publisher to work with. Amazing what doors can open up when you simply put your intention out into the world. :) I'm hoping that works out. Otherwise I will self-pub with Amazon and other outlets.

But let me not put the cart before the horse...for now let me get this book finished.

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
As awful as things like this are, they make for interesting stories. Sometimes, the most compelling fiction characters are those who have the worst luck and yet somehow rise above it. Maybe you can channel some of these experiences into your stories and maybe even profit from them. Either way, here's wishing you lots of success!

That's great advice. I'll definitely take it.

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
One thing you'll learn if you haunt enough threads in this sub-forum is that the majority of us don't aspire to write great literature, or if we do, we know it isn't that which will pay our bills. @Thriftypreneur alluded to it when he spoke of a fast pace.

You clearly have a command of the language and experience in telling stories. Find a genre that sells well and put those talents to work. You'll succeed financially faster if you approach it as more of a business than a labor of love. If that's what's important to you. Nothing wrong with labors of love, but often they don't pay the bills.

This is true. If I approach it from an angle of offering a story that lots of people will like and find valuable, it's more likely to be profitable. It's different if you tell a story that is dear to your heart, but hardly anyone wants to read it. It's rare that someone would write a book simply because they wanted to, and then it becomes a bestseller.

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
Still plugging away at my novel. I have written the outline according to a three-act model I found online, and it works very well. However, the actual writing is a challenge for me. I admit my old insecurities about failed NaNoWriMos past are rearing their ugly heads. My inner perfectionist critic is sitting on my shoulder, sighing and shaking her head at my paragraphs. This isn't easy at all. But I will stay consistent. I will just have to feel the fear and do it anyway.

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I admit my old insecurities about failed NaNoWriMos past are rearing their ugly heads.

When you get bogged down, think of why you are writing. I have a little note on my monitor telling me why I write... just in case I falter! The past is the past. No sense in letting it hold you back from your future!

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
When you get bogged down, think of why you are writing. I have a little note on my monitor telling me why I write... just in case I falter! The past is the past. No sense in letting it hold you back from your future!

Very true...thanks for the reminder. :) Forward ho!

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
Still plugging away at the story. I've been reading some popular titles in the genre, and I'm appreciating the art of building up tension/suspense. Writing a novel is not easy. But then again, if it were easy then everyone would do it. :) I'm just happy I'm making progress. I'm sure I'll be done well within the next two months.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.