The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

An Entrepreneur Builds a Multimillion Dollar Business with Lego Pieces

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
I love this idea. Simple, solves needs, has a win/win in it. Boom

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
I'm impressed by his turnaround time of 2.5 minutes to sanitize and replace parts. That's some heavy and EXTREMELY high profit automation that he's had his team develop. This is a fantastic example of why you should hire experts instead of trying to figure it all out yourself.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lawrence Barse

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Mar 8, 2014
Fantastic Idea!! and a wise move to he recruited former Netflix COO Tom Dillon to his board and several Netflix employees to help him build a technology infrastructure.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
I think the key take away here is that none of us could've created this business.

Why?

Because it's not in our domain of expertise! This was something he was interested in and knew the market, not just a random idea!

Take away: Build off what you know, not what you don't know.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
I think the key take away here is that none of us could've created this business.

Why?

Because it's not in our domain of expertise! This was something he was interested in and knew the market, not just a random idea!

I don't quite get that. I think any of us here could've started that business.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
I don't quite get that. I think any of us here could've started that business.
Because you're not understanding what I said, read it Again without ego.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Why do you assume ego had any part in my post? If that's what you took out of it, I'm sorry, I must've said that wrong.What I mean is, I don't understand what you said. Why couldn't any of us start that business, even if it was a random idea?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

Why?

I think that you miss-read the article. I disagree that none of us could have done it. I believe that few of us could have done it. Why, because of the process that he had to create and implement. It took real work to create his business. Challenging but not impossible.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Why do you assume ego had any part in my post? If that's what you took out of it, I'm sorry, I must've said that wrong.What I mean is, I don't understand what you said. Why couldn't any of us start that business, even if it was a random idea?
I think that you miss-read the article. I disagree that none of us could have done it. I believe that few of us could have done it. Why, because of the process that he had to create and implement. It took real work to create his business. Challenging but not impossible.

Sorry, clearly i'm being unclear and I take back that comment Tiago.

What i'm saying is none of us could've created it because none of us would've came up with the idea in the first place. This guy got the idea because it was directly related to what was happening in his life.

Same with Facebook - Z didn't just go out on a tangent creating a website and hoped people joined, he was a college kid who created it for himself directly from his college experience.

Just to be even more clear - I'm not saying you can't create something successful that's outside of your experience. Just that it's easier when creating from something that you KNOW i.e. MJ's limo business didn't come up out of thin air - it came from him driving around limos all day.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
I'm very much thinking of doing this model in Brazil. Huge market, nothing like this yet. Requires a lot of capital to start, but raising capital will be fairly easy.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
Brilliant idea.

In fact I am going to take a serious look at this, because I recently shipped my first LEGO box to a customer.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
I am intrigued this work, there was a shark tank episode where a team of moms tried the Netflix of toys.

They went bankrupt due to many returns, cleanliness, stuff breaking etc.

Wonder how he avoided those same issues (instead of breaking legos, losing many pieces etc.)

I would have to find the article (on my phone...)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
I would love to see that episode @Joe Cassandra !
Took some finding!
Here's the episode: They are the first ones, called Toygaroo

Just google Toygaroo bankruptcy and you'll see a ton of issues they had. Here's one:
http://sharktankblog.com/toygaroo-bankruptcy-update-from-former-cto/

Some of it was logistics it sounded like, they got overwhelmed with the shipping costs and put too low a price point.

Edit: As a note, this was the most public failure of Shark Tank ever

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
"The numbers of sets that come in incomplete is not insignificant, but we have propriety technology and equipment in place to identify the missing pieces using sophisticated and patented weight algorithm and replacing the pieces the recreate the set. We are taking this one step further and ensuring that all the sets leaving our facilities are 100% complete." - http://www.collaborativeconsumption.com/2014/03/22/collaborative-pioneer-an-inside-interview-with-elina-furman-founder-of-pley/

This is a patented process. Does anyone know a way to work around this?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
"The numbers of sets that come in incomplete is not insignificant, but we have propriety technology and equipment in place to identify the missing pieces using sophisticated and patented weight algorithm and replacing the pieces the recreate the set. We are taking this one step further and ensuring that all the sets leaving our facilities are 100% complete." - http://www.collaborativeconsumption.com/2014/03/22/collaborative-pioneer-an-inside-interview-with-elina-furman-founder-of-pley/

This is a patented process. Does anyone know a way to work around this?

Just come up with your own process and algorithm. Figure out another way to find out if there are missing pieces.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
They are using weight, use optical recognition instead.
Yeah I was thinking about that. Have every piece of every set scanned and let a laser eye do the work and see if there are pieces missing.I've contacted LEGO to see if they have wholesale and if so, which themes and what the MOQ is.

sbinnc

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
May 27, 2014
Good for him

I've thought about similar ideas years back over renting carious things but at the time even there were a fair share of compediators and most are out of business now, renting things can be a nightmare

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Everyone loves Lego's. You can't go wrong!

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Original post's link is now dead, but the link to the bankruptcy news still works.

I saw some videos on youtube, and some companion blog posts, from someone who built an automated recognizer/sorter for lego pieces. But I think that was after this company's bankruptcy, and not for a lego business. Was it related? Was this company the one with the rig where you could dump in a pile of random legos and get neatly sorted legos out?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.