The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

AMA - Ask me anything on sourcing/importing from Asia..

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.
G

GuestUser140

Hi there,

I'm trying to do the easiest thing, but it's not working.

I want a custom made cardboard box with lid (has logo) made in China. I would order in the UK for peace of mind and clear communication, but tried to contact a couple of suppliers on Alibaba nonetheless - as UK prices are pretty high.

How do I go about this? I contacted the best companies (Gold supplier, On-site checked, verified, etc) on Alibaba but got few replies. Some would quote me a price "later".

I need 500-1000 pcs with a sample.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
That post was unclear to say the least.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
I don't want to over-criticize anyone but I'm seeing too much "low-value" questions here that lacked decent research. If you need to ask lovecharm where to find suppliers, unless it is a really specific and special item, 1. you didn't search otherwise you would already know dhgate, alibaba, madeinchina, etc . 2. You didn't read the questions already made and answered.

This is a gold-thread and an awesome opportunity , use it wisely.

Question for lovecharm:

I'm currently buying my products from one seller at taobao and using a forwarder to get the products shipped to me, I am almost sure they are just middle-man but I am yet to find other taobao seller with the same items and number of different designs/models this one has. Do you have any tip on how to find the manufacturer? I just don't think they will tell me if I ask them.

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
I'm currently buying my products from one seller at taobao and using a forwarder to get the products shipped to me, I am almost sure they are just middle-man but I am yet to find other taobao seller with the same items and number of different designs/models this one has. Do you have any tip on how to find the manufacturer? I just don't think they will tell me if I ask them.

Hey,

Sorry for the little delay, in LA right now, been here since 1st of August and man I am really tired. So many meetings, new ideas, new opportunities.. My head is simply buzzing..

But the good thing is, the view from my flat to the entire LA is awesome and when I look at LA I just get this big push that I have to do something big in LA and make a mark in the city.. Just a battery charger, here it ls:-

photo copy.jpg

Any way, let get back to the question.

You can easily find the manufacturer, however thats the not the problem. The problem will be, whether the manufacturer is willing to sell you in small quantities or manufacture in small quantities.

For example in LA, I am already getting so many small orders to be manufactured, I simply have to decline them because for a big factories like us, its simply not worth it.

However, I am thinking that may be instead of declining them, how about I refer them on to some small factories and may be get a small referral fees and also assist both the parties initially, then it will be a win win situation for all of us.

So, here's what you need to do and think about:-

1:- You can find the factories from the local trade of commerce directory or you can simply google "(your product) factories in (wherever you are getting it from).
2:- Contact the factories and see what they say say.. The more you contact the better chances you have to land a golden one.
3:- Talk to them a lot and see how you feel, if you feel comfortable working with them and if they understand what you need.
4:- Figure out the payment terms, try to come to a mid range conclusion when they also get some advanced money, so they know that you won't mess around but at the same time you also have majority of the money and know that they will not mess around during production.
5:- Keep communicating with them all the time and make sure you are updated in every stage as well.

Good luck.

LC

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Hi there,

I'm trying to do the easiest thing, but it's not working.

I want a custom made cardboard box with lid (has logo) made in China. I would order in the UK for peace of mind and clear communication, but tried to contact a couple of suppliers on Alibaba nonetheless - as UK prices are pretty high.

How do I go about this? I contacted the best companies (Gold supplier, On-site checked, verified, etc) on Alibaba but got few replies. Some would quote me a price "later".

I need 500-1000 pcs with a sample.

Are you trying to ask how to get a supplier who will sell you the goods?

If yes then the answer will be, keep contacting more and may be increase the minimum order quantity a bit more as well. If the MOQ is low then some people simply can't be bothered to even reply.

Hope that helps.

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
Sorry for the little delay, in LA right now, been here since 1st of August and man I am really tired. So many meetings, new ideas, new opportunities.. My head is simply buzzing..

But the good thing is, the view from my flat to the entire LA is awesome and when I look at LA I just get this big push that I have to do something big in LA and make a mark in the city..

Fantastic progress LC, opportunity identified, action taken. Speed+.

For example in LA, I am already getting so many small orders to be manufactured, I simply have to decline them because for a big factories like us, its simply not worth it.

However, I am thinking that may be instead of declining them, how about I refer them on to some small factories and may be get a small referral fees and also assist both the parties initially, then it will be a win win situation for all of us.

Well isn't that what most of the wholesalers on Alibaba are doing - buying in factory size bulk, and then re-selling for a profit. That way smaller guys can get started with higher prices, but smaller MOQ.

You just need to organise a few US affiliates who are happy to buy in bulk off you, and then you can refer the small orders onto them. Everyone's a winner.

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Well isn't that what most of the wholesalers on Alibaba are doing - buying in factory size bulk, and then re-selling for a profit. That way smaller guys can get started with higher prices, but smaller MOQ.

You just need to organise a few US affiliates who are happy to buy in bulk off you, and then you can refer the small orders onto them. Everyone's a winner.

Well, you can't get customised products in Alibaba, you will just get the product.

Thats what we are doing in London, we buy in bulk and then wholesale them to the wholesalers and retailers in UK.

Pretty much same thing that we are trying to do in LA as well, but with some more services as well, one of them is sourcing.

Yeah, you are right, but first thing first, have to get the US wholesalers or bulk buyers to whom we can sell, thats why looking for a sales guy who has connections in clothing industry.

I am also thinking that, may be I should work with smaller companies, but I will need about 4-5 companies who will order a certain amount of items at a certain time frame, then we can fit them in the container, that way all of those companies will get their orders fulfilled. We do have our small sister company who can cater this 3000-4000 smaller orders, so we will just book their factories and cater the smaller vendors, that will bring some cash flow.

But ideally we want our products in the chain stores such as k-mart and other retailers. At the same time, we can also work for new brands who are looking to get things manufactured abroad, getting some big established brands to work with us will be a big mile stone, so thats something I will need achieve very soon, as that will really take the game to the next level.

LeungJan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 8, 2013
Hey Lovecharm,

Thanks for doing this - I was wondering if you could help me out some questions I have:

We are placing a order of 250units of Shoes into the UK. We have had a look at the labelling regulations and they will be coming via ship.
Are there any important things I need to tell the manufacturer to add or do for the products before/when they send them over.

I have researched the labelling for shoes in the UK mentioning that you need the right pictograms and explanations, as well as Made in China labelling - is there anything else you think that I am missing/would be useful

Thanks

Phillipbro

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 10, 2013
Ontario
If this offer is still around in a few months I would love to take you up on this. I am in need of sourcing a product that would fall in the textile category, I think with the right source for it I could turn this into a huge venture.

The only reason I say in a few months is because I am currently going through one start up that will be launching August 7th. Once I get it off the ground I definitely want to jump into this one though, and I have never sourced and imported anything from Asia (aside from clothes for personal use,) so would definitely love some help.

On my end, I made 6 figures last year in online marketing, so I could definitely offer you some assistance in teaching you anything/everything I know in that aspect.

Cheers!

6 figures, teach us your ways dude, I checked out your other thread and your only 21, teach this young chap your ways lol.

OP this thread is a great find.

MyDuckets

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Oct 12, 2012
Dallas
"Be a friend .Act like your success is your responsibility. Or you can be a couch potato, watch Honey Boo Boo and buy lottery tickets"

Pure gold

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Hey Lovecharm,

Thanks for doing this - I was wondering if you could help me out some questions I have:

We are placing a order of 250units of Shoes into the UK. We have had a look at the labelling regulations and they will be coming via ship.
Are there any important things I need to tell the manufacturer to add or do for the products before/when they send them over.

I have researched the labelling for shoes in the UK mentioning that you need the right pictograms and explanations, as well as Made in China labelling - is there anything else you think that I am missing/would be useful

Thanks

Hey

Sorry for the little delay, just was tied up with things in London and was involved in a dangerous car accident situation where I thought I was going to die.. In the end nothing happened. So that incident kind of shook me up a bit and needed to take some time off from everything in life and just revaluate everything...

So I wasn't ignoring any one, its just I took time off from work and everything in life after that near death experience, just needed some time to myself to heal and get my focus back on to everything..

Any way, back to work and back to normal now, so will be logging in to the forum regularly and will be answering every one on here and via PM.

Now, to answer your question, well, what material it is made out of could be nice too, as UK customs can get a bit irritating when you are importing leather goods (I am presuming your shoes are leather shoes here) because of disease etc.

Otherwise, its only 250 pairs, so they shouldn't really do much for that to be honest.. They will come through straight away.

LeungJan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 8, 2013
Hey Lovecharm,

That sucks about the car accident! Hope everything went well and great your taking a bit of a break.

Thanks for your input, I will keep you updated.

LeungJan

kingapparel

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 26, 2013
Yeah, you are right, but first thing first, have to get the US wholesalers or bulk buyers to whom we can sell, thats why looking for a sales guy who has connections in clothing industry.

Can you send me your email? I am looking at ordering some product in bulk, also I am connected in the industry and could lead you to a few clients.

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
Hey

Sorry for the little delay, just was tied up with things in London and was involved in a dangerous car accident situation where I thought I was going to die.. In the end nothing happened. So that incident kind of shook me up a bit and needed to take some time off from everything in life and just revaluate everything...

So I wasn't ignoring any one, its just I took time off from work and everything in life after that near death experience, just needed some time to myself to heal and get my focus back on to everything..

Any way, back to work and back to normal now, so will be logging in to the forum regularly and will be answering every one on here and via PM.

Now, to answer your question, well, what material it is made out of could be nice too, as UK customs can get a bit irritating when you are importing leather goods (I am presuming your shoes are leather shoes here) because of disease etc.

Otherwise, its only 250 pairs, so they shouldn't really do much for that to be honest.. They will come through straight away.

Hi lovecharm, are you still in LA? I am very relieved your ok!!!!

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Hi lovecharm, are you still in LA? I am very relieved your ok!!!!

Hey

I am back in London now, that accident was in London..

But I am getting over it now, so thats good. Been driving all day today and things are getting back to normal...

Thanks for the concern...

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
I'm in the process of establishing a custom bikini suit line in the United States, Australia, and the UK. My projected requirement will be anywhere from 30 to 50 pieces per month within the first 6 months, and higher after that.

I am searching for a company that will be able to produce these suits for my company, made to order (they must be made based on measurements, specified fabric, pattern, design, and rhinestone decoration for EACH order).

The way this works is, when my company receives an order for a suit, I will need a company to make that suit and ship it out to me within 3 weeks of when the order placed.

I have examples of suits I will need to be made (I will provide 100-150 designs/styles which will have to be copied and made using the client's measurements)

I will also need the manufacturer to have the capability to decorate these suits with rhinestones/crystals in different designs (which I will provide). I have examples of this type of rhinestone decoration (it may go from minimal to maximum crystals).

This is important to understand the variety and customization I need my manufacturer to have the ability to make.

I searched alibaba, madeinchine,dhgate and all places I looked into require a minimum order which with my business model is impossible because its all customized to order and MOST if not ALL of those places seem likes scams and never got back to me.

I need to find a place that gives me:
-- price per unit for the suits like the examples included.
-- capabilities for decorating these suits with rhinestones/crystals as requested
-- If they do have these capabilities to decorate the suits, their requested fees for this service.
-- capabilities for making suits to order, one at a time, to customer's measurements.

If all works out, I will want to place an initial order of a single suit in EACH of the designs and patterns I specify (that is one suit in each of the different designs and patterns, so anywhere from 100 to 150 suits), as sample and for my store display. I need to know if it will be possible to get a single suit made in each design and pattern for this purpose.

I plan on getting a minimum of 5000 to 10000 custom pieces per year minimum which I have clients already lined up to purchase these product.

All I can find online are scammers and everyone I speak to tells me the ONLY way to ensure I dont get taken for a ride is going to China and asking 100's of places to make me a sample and staying there for a month or two until someone stands out. They even suggested setting up my own office in the town to have my custom products made.

any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Hey eqttrdr,

It might be a coincident, but luck is definitely on your side. Because my sister got a knit factory and its a new venture for us, we only opened it about 4 years ago, so we are can work 5000 to 10,000 pcs orders. Usually in our woven factories (where we make shorts and denims) if its less than 100,000 pcs then we don't even bother replying.

So yeah, PM me all your details and lets see if we can do the order for you in our factories, if we can't do it then we will give some reliable contacts, so don't worry.

LC.

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Hey everyone,

Just an update. Been getting quite a few request to manufacture clothing in my factories.

First of all thanks for that. Secondly, if the quantity is less than 20,000 then it's really going to be difficult for me to accommodate as our factories are built in grand scale so we the lowest quantities we can do is 20,000 pcs.

However, if you want small quantities then I can introduce you to some of the other smaller factories who can accommodate you and serve you. They can do 100 pcs as well. Since they are small they can afford to do it. We can't as we have huge lines set up along with huge work force. It's like saying, you can get a glass of pepsi in your local cafe and in Hilton, however in Hilton they will have to charge you more to cover up their grand establishment and staff, whereas your local cafe is small so they can charge less as they don't have that many over head expenses.

Thanks.

LC

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
Here's a question: What are some of the biggest PITA's in your workflow that you deal with day to day? What would help your business go more smoothly and free up your time for more productive activities?

Zetta

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 31, 2013
How Asian business man sees a business man who is fully tattooed? Fingers/hands + face/neck?

Does it create a lot of more challenge on finding and making deals in Asia?

What challenges may business mans who look like that get in Asia?

ps: thanks for a great value driven thread!

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
Of all the threads I have ever read, this is by far the most educational and inspiring one.

How straighforward is it to find a manufacturer that will alter their product to fit your needs? There is a simple product I want to import, however I want to change the material thickness and pad locations to improve durability. Is this a difficult proposition for most manufacturers in your experience? Or are some manufactueres willing to prototype your product and once acceptable, mass produce it?

Cheers

bringitnow28329

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 30, 2013
Providence
Asian business men see a person like this as a clown/freakshow, and won't take this person seriously. Honestly covering a person with tattoo's could easily ruin a persons chance of every having a shot.

How Asian business man sees a business man who is fully tattooed? Fingers/hands + face/neck?

Does it create a lot of more challenge on finding and making deals in Asia?

What challenges may business mans who look like that get in Asia?

ps: thanks for a great value driven thread!

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I was in Thailand for 2 years and they take "face" seriously, if you have tatoos then it will be way harder to do business there

Zetta

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 31, 2013
Asian business men see a person like this as a clown/freakshow, and won't take this person seriously. Honestly covering a person with tattoo's could easily ruin a persons chance of every having a shot.

I was in Thailand for 2 years and they take "face" seriously, if you have tatoos then it will be way harder to do business there

Thanks a lot. Than it is better that I don´t take tattoos to my face until everything is builded up but let´s say I take. I still have a chance:

I know now after reading this thread the big deals are made always offline so if I want to do importing business I could use/partner up w an agent/business partner who would attend to the meetings etc. To be my right hand in Asia and do all the stuff that needs to be done in Asia.

I can associate with big manufactories by doing business w people like LoveCharm or I could just manufacture everything that I need in my own factories in Asia.

Zetta

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 31, 2013
Custom Made Products

What about people who need certain type of design in their products? Mostly for small quantities but would love to hear about the process for big quantities as well.

Let´s say we are dealing with furnitures. We figure out the materials that we need for our product. We find supplier? that can sell small quantities (very rare?) and buy the materials from them. We forward the materials to a manufacturer that will build the product. We also provide the design for the manufacturer so he is able to build it just like how we want it to be. How close am I?

I would assume there is severally a manufacturers that do custom work or?
Would you recommend a certain city for somebody who is looking out to manufacture custom made furnitures? I would be importing from Asia and sell them in countries in europa

What would be the process and thinking when considering something like this so I can apply your answer even to another products like clothing's or electronics?

Thanks in advance :)

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Yes i agree it is but where did this guy go?

Well, been busy lately as it was our religious festival, plus came to Asia and I had piles of work waiting for me, all together didn't get much time.

Will answer every one and reply all the PM from later on today.

LC

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.