The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Am I the only one? (Physical product invention)

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
I was going to post a thread and hope for some advice on this Fomum? But not used to this media and so unsure of appropriateness.
Go ahead and post a new thread, specific to your question. You'll eventually get some helpful advice. The only challenge is sorting out all the fluff.

Can you talk about your product yet?
Yes, I can, because the barrier to entry is quite high. However, I choose not to mention anything about it in the public sphere because I don't want my current employer to learn that I have any plans of my own...until the time is right.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
We have before had Manufacturers Insurance for another Product which was manufactured in Europe, but my insurance would not cover me for USA & Canada.

Is this the same in reverse for you in USA selling into Europe?
Legal issues and insurance have major problems when they cross borders, so I'm not surprised they wouldn't cover the USA & Canada. We have "Liability Insurance" that companies purchase to pay out in the event they are sued for damages. I don't have any experience with this area, so I'll leave it to those more knowledgeable to provide meaningful input.

Personally, I'm not going to worry about the insurance at all until the business has grown enough to have the 1st employee. My products aren't dangerous or likely to be used in life & death situations.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Talking to, matter of fact, finding manufacturers is probably one of the most hardest things so far. It might be my approach, but being 18, inexperienced, and a bit clueless on how to actually take a product from paper to physical could possibly be another reason. Sent a few emails to local companies (generally looking at plastic and glass manufacturers) and got 0 responses back.
If this is your current challenge, may I present another option? Use the phone.

Do a google search for manufacturers of glass parts and make a list of potentials. Do the same for the plastics. Then call each manufacturer and ask to speak with someone in technical sales. Ask them what their core competency is. Do they make parts of similar shape/size/material? You don't need drawings or specifics for these phone calls, you're just trying to figure out which companies to work with. Mark off those from your list that don't make what you need. Don't be afraid to ask them for a recommendation either. If they aren't able to produce what you need, just ask if they know of other manufacturer's that might. They will know their market and their competitors, and if you're friendly/professional they just might give you a few good pointers.

Remember that just because a company can make your part doesn't mean they are the best ones to do so. Typically, each company has a core competency or specialty. That will be the area of their greatest efficiency and will provide the best pricing. Many other companies will say they can make the part(s). Indeed they might be able to make it...but if it's not what they are good at, then the price or quality might not be good.

LMACK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 25, 2016
i am so glad i found this...i am 25 years old live in hawaii.. work a pointless job. got 2 kids and a gf to take care of...in the automotive repair industry and over the past few years have been fabricating all of my tools to work faster and easier for me...iv also came up with designs from scratch and have methods in repair to cut time in half...i work very well with my hands and can build anything brought forth to me...iv been making money recently finding classic cars with the highest cost for restoration parts and manufacturing them at home and selling kits with custom options online..i have sketches and plans for inventions iv been hoping to patent and sell..however i dont got a clue of where to start or what to do..browsing through the site i stubled across this post and i think what you do is awsome and i hope maybe someone could point me down the same path

Sovereign

Spinning wheels in place
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jul 5, 2015
i have sketches and plans for inventions iv been hoping to patent and sell..however i dont got a clue of where to start or what to do..browsing through the site i stubled across this post and i think what you do is awsome and i hope maybe someone could point me down the same path

Tell as what you need (a bit more specifically) and we might be able to help you.

Ikke

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 20, 2012
Netherlands
I have been designing, producing and selling my own products and tooling for about 7 years now. This has all been lowish volume production. For mass production I quickly opt to go off shore. The chinese have come a very long way and are quite capable.

For me the perfect combination is having the ability to produce low volume and prototypes in house and outsourcing bulk orders. This way I stay flexible, innovative and in control of the delivered product (I can correct bulk orders in a short time frame if needed) while not having the headache that come with manufacturing onshore.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
For me the perfect combination is having the ability to produce low volume and prototypes in house and outsourcing bulk orders. This way I stay flexible, innovative and in control of the delivered product (I can correct bulk orders in a short time frame if needed) while not having the headache that come with manufacturing onshore.
I really appreciate your input, and understand your preference for this structure.

I'd be very interested in reading a thread on your "lessons learned". Do you have a progress thread from your startup phase?

Thank you!

juanalou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 13, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
I started my journey with SaaS and got my a$$ whoped in a very crowded sector (delivery apps like Deliveroo, etc.) I do not blame the industry but my lack of knowledge and poor execution.

I come from an Industrial Engineering background so physical products, mainly consumer, always interested me. My first physical product had a very low MOQ so I decided to go for it, it was a powdered energy/nootropic drink for gamers, a G-Fuel knockoff. I got into the Amazon business train and I am doing alright at best. I drank the Amazon Seller kool-aid. Learned my lesson about low entry barriers.

i have sketches and plans for inventions iv been hoping to patent and sell..however i dont got a clue of where to start or what to do..browsing through the site i stubled across this post and i think what you do is awsome and i hope maybe someone could point me down the same path

I would recommend you read the book ''One Simply Idea'' by Stephen Key.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.