The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Am I sitting on a goldmine?

D

Deleted70138

Nearby where I live, every family has apple, pear and plum trees in their gardens, by due to low domestic price owners don't even pick them, just letting them rot on the tree and on the ground. I personally have the same thing going on, my apples are just rotting on the ground, a lot of them.

The only minus of those fruits are, that they look ugly, compared to other fertilized, chemically induced ones.
Could this asset be utilized?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Nearby where I live, every family has apple, pear and plum trees in their gardens, by due to low domestic price owners don't even pick them, just letting them rot on the tree and on the ground. I personally have the same thing going on, my apples are just rotting on the ground, a lot of them.

The only minus of those fruits are, that they look ugly, compared to other fertilized, chemically induced ones.

You have already identified the problem, the cost you can sell them for will not cover the cost of picking, packing and shipping them. Perhaps you can make juice from them? Or perhaps there is a cosmetic product that uses these ingriedients?

Friends of mine a while back had lots of avocado trees and the cosmetic industry buys avocados by the tonne.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

You could make a rough calculation and Im 99.999% sure that the cost will be more than you can get on the market, even you see it.
Taking care of fruit trees is a very labor intensive business which requires some knowledge in botany, otherwise you get subpar fruit which you cant sell, juice, bottle or make alcohol out of. Not to mention the logistics of picking the fruit and the short window you have when the fruit is ripe.

IMO a better option to monetize this is a service which clears the lawn of people from rotting fruit which you can then compost and sell that way.

BUT, this asset is utilized already ;)
By birds, small rodents, insects , worms, fungus etc.
This contributes to the quality of the soil and a helthy local eco system.
Let them have their fall feast, we dont have to turn everything into a business ;)

D

Deleted70138

Taking care of fruit trees is a very labor intensive business which requires some knowledge in botany, otherwise you get subpar fruit which you cant sell, juice, bottle or make alcohol out of.
1) Nobody does pruning, watering, or any other botanical staff. Those apples just grow by themselves and a lot of them.
2) Taste is 10x better than anything I could buy in the city, plus much healthier.
3) Making alcohol is possible and I have not thought about that previously.

Perhaps you can make juice from them?
IMG_20211104_112910.jpg
I've just fermented a cider for the first time, tastes good and was a pain in the a$$ to bring the juice out of the fruit. Evidently it needs some special enzymes.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
1) Nobody does pruning, watering, or any other botanical staff. Those apples just grow by themselves and a lot of them.
2) Taste is 10x better than anything I could buy in the city, plus much healthier.
3) Making alcohol is possible and I have not thought about that previously.

View attachment 40617
I've just fermented a cider for the first time, tastes good and was a pain in the a$$ to bring the juice out of the fruit. Evidently it needs some special enzymes.
That's pretty cool man! Even if this doesn't turn into a business, I think it's a good process for you to have gone through. Keep it up!

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
The oven or mouth won't care what the fruit looks like. Perfect looking fruit often has the good flavor bred out of it.

Here, we would say it's an heirloom variety and charge more money for it.

Is there a market for homemade food items in Georgia and can you legally make them? An old girlfriend of mine in Venezuela doesn't have much money. She has 5 or 6 hustles though to try to survive and makes food items and sells them to hungry people at the beach. Her stuff is Venezuelan dishes.

If these aren't anything you would sell to restaurants, stores, or average people, you could just make them for yourself and enjoy the fresh local produce in different ways. Or give stuff away.

There are all kinds of things that could be made of the fruit if it's good. Here in the USA, we would make these:

Alcohol as you mentioned and non-alcohol cider as well.

Jam, jelly, preserves, butter, leather. All of those can be made from apples or any of the other fruits you listed in the first post. Pear butter is my favorite. Plum pies are great.

Baked goods like cakes, pies, donuts (apple cider donuts or apple fritters), apple bread, scones, stollen, pancakes with apple sauce or diced and put into the batter, caramel apples with nuts stuck to them, candy apples, and others could all be made.

They're also good as a sauce with cinnamon on vanilla ice cream.

You can use it with pork for example in sausages.

Apple works in oatmeal or muesli.

Also, apple is fantastic on pizza. My friend serves them in his craft beer and pizza place. The ingredients are tomato sauce, candied bacon, apples, gouda & mozzarella cheese. It's a very addictive pizza. Don't put a lot of apple on them and slice them thin. I've talked to several of his customers and they get stuck on that pizza and don't try the rest. It's that good. We always get at least one apple one if we're buying pizzas there.

The apple farms near us make apple cake, donuts and cider as a second little profit center. They generally all make cider donuts since they're making the cider anyway.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I did that many years: I collected apples, where I could. Made apple juice from it. I loved it. For a while. I gave it away and got goods, work and beer for it.
Selling could be possible, but what says the healths department to it?

May be you could overcome that and sell the juice. Just try it!

I ended all that, when my wife came out to be allergic to apples.

Spino

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 26, 2019
  1. Can you put in place like a net or a system to collect the fruits when they fall? Lower the cost of collection/picking and then use it as food or juice for personal use or sell?
  2. Can you get people to pay you to enter the property and pick up the fruits? They can then keep the product? Similar to what many orchards do, they get people/tourists to pay a fee to enter the field and give them a bag or a basket, the people spend some a nice afternoon in the orchards and they leave with some fruits

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

I have family in Eastern Europe and same story. Lots of fruit. My favorite is just going out there and eating it. Second best option is apple pie from them!
I don’t think you are sitting on a financial gold mine. But you are living a good life! When I go visit, it’s a treat to have those perfectly imperfect apples. Love it. Miss it here.
By the way, those apples go bad quick. The ones we get in the store are not only “perfect shape”, they are coated with wax to preserve them.

Agent X

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Mar 20, 2019
Utah
Good fresh fruit is hard to get where I live and it fetches a fine premium over the regular market prices. Fruit in the US is generally terrible in the grocery stores since the fruit is bred to transport long distances and still look nice, so they sacrifice on the taste. My father-in-law has an apple orchard in his backyard and the apples there are soooo much better. We always use an apple press and make cider that we either can or freeze and they are still really good after canning or freezing, so you could potentially do that and sell at a market father away where people will pay you for good cider. It could be a good option if you can find a market to sell that isn't too far away where people pay extra for better fruit. Otherwise like the others, I would say maybe find a way to process them into other foods like jams, pies, pizzas, etc. would work well. Do you have many restaurants that use local, fresh food? You could maybe partner with them or even start your own if there aren't any.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK

Raven S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 19, 2021
Norway
I just love to think about "stuff" nvm what it is =) And yeah, its probably not a gold mine your sitting on. - BUT thinking about it, did give one somewhat usable insight.. of sorts I guess? - you should charge people for collecting their apples. Yeah.. thats right, you read that again and again, until you follow ok? haha. We are living in a temporal thingy - where the time, does make a difference -and what you want to do, is to leverage this peculiar fact. Why WAIT until the apples are on the ground to get payed for removing the apples, if you can prevent the problem from happening? - And seeing how the problem WILL occur - well, you should get payed for preventing the problem in the first place. - Ok, so NOW you GOT apples with a PROFIT - NOW what are you gonna do about it?

Raven S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 19, 2021
Norway
Getting the apples of the trees, in a way thats not costing more than the imaginable ways to profit from the apples THEN becomes the new problem XD

Raven S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 19, 2021
Norway
Getting the apples of the trees, in a way thats not costing more than the imaginable ways to profit from the apples THEN becomes the new problem XD

And yes, if you could figure out "how to do it" - that is - "how to remove apples form a tree" with a profit - that is - you got Payed MORE from the JOB than for what the apples worth - you are all good to go, on figuring out what to do next=) Of course you could make a profit -from getting apples - in a way that cost you money to aquire them, and then you make up for that , with the clever usage of the apples/plums etc. But my point is - its fun to imagine ways to make money even before we get to the later stages.

Not long ago, I saw lots of robots plucking apples from trees. ... meaning? YOU are not the one going to make money here... someone like amazon... might =) Because the intitial cost of making the collection of the apples in the first place, could BE possible, but you might need a huge up front investment into robots to collect the stuff your gonna profit from. - just saying =) Some kind of APP where all owners of fruit trees, just payed a little fee, to gett all their trees "pruned" - using robots, in a short amout of time, from a truck, going from house - to house- migh seem a somewhat futuristic, yet feasible idea.

Raven S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 19, 2021
Norway
And yes, if you could figure out "how to do it" - that is - "how to remove apples form a tree" with a profit - that is - you got Payed MORE from the JOB than for what the apples worth - you are all good to go, on figuring out what to do next=) Of course you could make a profit -from getting apples - in a way that cost you money to aquire them, and then you make up for that , with the clever usage of the apples/plums etc. But my point is - its fun to imagine ways to make money even before we get to the later stages.

Not long ago, I saw lots of robots plucking apples from trees. ... meaning? YOU are not the one going to make money here... someone like amazon... might =) Because the intitial cost of making the collection of the apples in the first place, could BE possible, but you might need a huge up front investment into robots to collect the stuff your gonna profit from. - just saying =) Some kind of APP where all owners of fruit trees, just payed a little fee, to gett all their trees "pruned" - using robots, in a short amout of time, from a truck, going from house - to house- migh seem a somewhat futuristic, yet feasible idea.

- Then .. you could get to a point, where the collection "part" would beome so efficient, that paying for the apples would make sense again XD. You would get an apple tree, pretty much like you would get a wall mounted battery pack. I am willing to invest into having this fruit tree in my guarden, just becaue I will profit form doing so. (and I have no better usage of the space) When the "collection" problem is "totally" sovled, you could profit from getting your "problem" removed.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
My aunt and her husband have a ton of apple trees. About 1000 probably. We were having drinks with his sister one day after I built their new house on the property talking about how to monetize them. Her idea was the best I think: packaged apple pie mixes.

Chop fruit, mix with whatever else goes in a pie (butter, brown sugar), freeze in a bag and sell with pie shell for like $10 each. 100% organic, DIY baking without the mess and prep work.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
S

Sure, there's an "ugly food" moment here in the US. What can you do with that excess food? How can it be used? Can your foodbank use it? Can it be canned or processed? There must be a use for it somewhere, somehow...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.