The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Already on the road to success but want to quit because not in line with my values

cieddss

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 15, 2019
It’s weird to post/ share this here, but I felt people here can provide insight.

I’m an artist and at a point in my life where I want to switch my art style to more abstract. I’ve been painting more realistic/ representational styles and have been selling them well in galleries. It is my greatest skill and have been drawing since I was 4 years old.

Striving for realism in paintings is extremely time-consuming. The process is grueling and boring; I hate every moment of it. One painting usually takes me 15-20hours to complete. It doesn’t purely meet MJ’s commandment of Time, but I think if I continue in 3-5 years and have more status, I could just put out a few paintings a year and still earn enough to focus on my lifestyle.

I have recently realized that my greatest virtue is Efficiency (based on Jordan Peterson’s Present Authoring Program), and I think that I can be more efficient by adopting a more abstract style. I feel that I can still succeed with a more abstract style (thinking of abstracted portraits), but I am fearful that if I don’t use my strength, I’ll fail (especially in the arts, where only the best of the best win).

Any insight is appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Currently reading Managing Oneself by Drucker, and this is what he has to say:

* “What one does well-even very well and successfully - may not fit with one's value system. In that case, the work may not appear to be worth devoting one's life to (or even a substantial portion thereof).”

* “If I may, allow me to interject a personal note. Many years ago, I too had to decide between my values and what I was doing successfully. I was doing very well as a young investment banker in London in the mid-1930 ́s, and the work clearly fit my strengths. Yet I did not see myself making a contribution as an asset manager. People, I realized, were what I valued, and I saw no point in being the richest man in the cemetery.”

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
cieddss, do whatever f--- you like :) Do both for some time, check how your surrealism works from a money perspective.

IMO - You need to do whatever you love, not because of some esoteric bullshit, that we all meant to do what we love (which is probably right anyways), but because in order to succeed and compete you need to spend a lot of time and it's hard to spend a lot of time on something you hate.

This beeing said, sometimes we need to do what we need to do in order to pay the bills, till we figure the shit out :) So from the side - doing both looks like a best option.

Also, you have to decide if you are an artist or businessman because I don't think C.E.N.T.S works equally well for both.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
I think that I can be more efficient by adopting a more abstract style. I feel that I can still succeed with a more abstract style (thinking of abstracted portraits), but I am fearful that if I don’t use my strength, I’ll fail (especially in the arts, where only the best of the best win).
I mean, Picasso made a similar shift, and it worked out pretty well for him.

Won't hurt to try.

cieddss

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 15, 2019
cieddss, do whatever f--- you like :) Do both for some time, check how your surrealism works from a money perspective.

IMO - You need to do whatever you love, not because of some esoteric bullshit, that we all meant to do what we love (which is probably right anyways), but because in order to succeed and compete you need to spend a lot of time and it's hard to spend a lot of time on something you hate.

This beeing said, sometimes we need to do what we need to do in order to pay the bills, till we figure the shit out :) So from the side - doing both looks like a best option.

Also, you have to decide if you are an artist or businessman because I don't think C.E.N.T.S works equally well for both.

Yeah, probably the sensible option is test out the waters first before diving in. I definitely started this with the goal of making “enough” money. Thanks for your insight.

cieddss

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 15, 2019
I mean, Picasso made a similar shift, and it worked out pretty well for him.

Won't hurt to try.

Hmm, didn’t know of that. But yeah I guess I’d have to change at some point, but the most secure way would probably be to be established enough first to be able to sell any artwork I churn out. Thanks!

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
To alleviate the problem of having your income directly tied to time, maybe there is some what you could license or rent out your art, eventually. Turn it into an asset that gives you revenue over time.

cieddss

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 15, 2019
To alleviate the problem of having your income directly tied to time, maybe there is some what you could license or rent out your art, eventually. Turn it into an asset that gives you revenue over time.

Definitely. Also thinking of doing some art prints, but my main distribution channel (gallery) doesn’t make that option accessible right now. Selling online is an option, which will require more work, but definitely worth it. Thanks for the ideas.

MichaelCash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Apr 7, 2013
New York
I think abstract style is lots easier to sell. The reason is it targets broader audience. Let me explain this. Imagine, you draw cats, then you target audience is pets lovers which is pretty small. Now, imagine you draw a view of New York, your target audience only people who have been in New York, which is even smaller.

Now imagine, you draw something abstract - you target audience is pretty much everyone!

Also, abstract paintings are better fit for offices or for decoration purposes. People would likely use and abstract painting rather then a picture of a cat in the office.

If you are afraid of loosing your skills, you can come try some other styles, which are closer to abstract, e.g. Folk Art. I admire artists who were able to find their style and became successful from business point of view. For example, look at LAUREL BURCH and see her sales.

cieddss

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 15, 2019
I think abstract style is lots easier to sell. The reason is it targets broader audience. Let me explain this. Imagine, you draw cats, then you target audience is pets lovers which is pretty small. Now, imagine you draw a view of New York, your target audience only people who have been in New York, which is even smaller.

Now imagine, you draw something abstract - you target audience is pretty much everyone!

Also, abstract paintings are better fit for offices or for decoration purposes. People would likely use and abstract painting rather then a picture of a cat in the office.

If you are afraid of loosing your skills, you can come try some other styles, which are closer to abstract, e.g. Folk Art. I admire artists who were able to find their style and became successful from business point of view. For example, look at LAUREL BURCH and see her sales.

Good perspective thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.