The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Please Leave the Politics to CNN and FOX.
    Just a reminder that political topics/memes are prohibited, unless discussed within the realm of business and investment, for example, the impact the new Treasury Secretary might have with BTC. Please help keep the forum free of politics. (And I promise to do better myself!)
  • Join 60,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

Advice on bootstrapping an invention?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

bbar97

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 1, 2017
South Carolina
I'm considering moving forward with one of my 70 ideas for inventions/new services, but there are a few roadblocks I need to clear before I decide to go all in with it.

Its a product in the garden/home product industry, and its moderately complex so design and manufacturing costs won't likely be low. Does anyone have advice on bootstrapping a new invention? Most of the bootstrapping advice I've seen is for services, so I'm not sure of all my options with a product.

I believe the things I need to check before I go through with this are:

-Is it feasible in terms of production?
-Can it be produced at a reasonable price-point?
-Is there market need for this solution?
-Will this product adequately solve the problem?
-How will I finance this?

I recently started a job in marketing, but pay is minimal so I won't be rolling in money any time soon. Assuming I want to go through with the idea, is my only option to get a loan for the design, patenting, and manufacturing/inventory?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

bbar97

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 1, 2017
South Carolina
I think you should focus on the above two questions first.

Also read One Simple Idea by Stephen Key

Well, I'm kind of afraid of doing market testing because I'm not sure how much I can disclose about my idea without a provisional patent.

If I describe what my product is to potential customers without disclosing specifics can I still lose my ability to patent it? I'm not sure where the line is for how much I can disclose, and I would definitely need to describe it to get market feedback.

Tourmaline

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Kickstarter seems apt.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Well, I'm kind of afraid of doing market testing because I'm not sure how much I can disclose about my idea without a provisional patent.

You don't need to tell them what your product is because they don't really care about your product. They only care about their problem.

You need to find out if the problem you're solving is really a problem for them.

And if it really is a problem for them:
  • How big a problem is it?
  • Why is it a problem?
  • What goal are they trying to achieve by solving it?
  • Why is that a goal?
  • What solutions have they used to try to solve it in the past?
  • Why didn't those solutions work?
  • Did those solutions completely fail or just partially fail?
  • How much did those solutions cost?
  • What's the pain of not solving the problem?
  • How much are they willing to pay to have it solved?

bbar97

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 1, 2017
South Carolina
You don't need to tell them what your product is because they don't really care about your product. They only care about their problem.

You need to find out if the problem you're solving is really a problem for them.

And if it really is a problem for them:
  • How big a problem is it?
  • Why is it a problem?
  • What goal are they trying to achieve by solving it?
  • Why is that a goal?
  • What solutions have they used to try to solve it in the past?
  • Why didn't those solutions work?
  • Did those solutions completely fail or just partially fail?
  • How much did those solutions cost?
  • What's the pain of not solving the problem?
  • How much are they willing to pay to have it solved?

This is perfect, thank you!

I'll update this thread in the future with what I found out if I discover something worth sharing.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Yeah, your youtube channel is incredible and all the videos I have seen so far are really great...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Finally! I just launched a short story on Kindle (FREE if you have Kindle Unlimited)! After...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
I planned to make a separate post for this video but it is useful here as well for anyone...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Last promo of the year.. Get the training you need now or miss it. Promo Code: FINALHOUR...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
UPDATED POST: Hey Guys! I wanted to give a quick update on what this program has become. In...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom