The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Accidentaly Almost Quit My Job For Being 10 Hours EARLY

D

DeletedUser394

I never thought I'd have a personal story to add to the 'Fastlane Forum Funnies' but it has happened.

Starting monday, I've started work at 8:00am to help with breakfast and maid service (I work at a B&B for the time being while I get some things fixed health wise, and to give me income to fund my business).

I need to wake up around 5:30am.

So about 20 minutes ago I wake up and see that it's 7:20am! I had to be at the bus stop 10 minutes ago.

I run downstairs, and make breakfast. On my way to the kitchen I pass my roommate and her boyfriend, and I say to myself, 'Hmm, that's weird, they aren't usually awake this early'.

I make my breakfast and then wolf it down. I realize that there's no chance of me getting to work on time, so I decide to quit my job as I would probably lose it anyway for being over an hour late.

Just as I'm about to start writing an email to my boss, announcing my resignation, I check the clock again and realize that it's 7:20PM!!!!

I worked myself into such a state of exhaustion, that I quite literally passed out any time from 4pm-6pm (I have no memory of any of it) while reading 'Think and Grow Rich'.

There is a serious lesson learned from this story as well. I need to quadruple my business effort, because I don't want a large portion of my energy/effort going towards making someone else more wealthy, while I work for peanuts at the bottom of the totem pole.

My paypal finally went through, so I purchased my domain. Just need to buy my hosting, and I'm ready to get going! :smxF:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

This is why my clocks are on 24hr instead of 12hr. lol

That's wild, I posted a condensed version of this on facebook, and one of my friends said pretty much the identical thing, word for word!

I don't know if it's the same everywhere out west (only been here for about 6 months), but it's impossible to tell the difference between 7am and 7pm-10pm just by looking outside.

Back home it's easy. Day time is light, Night time is dark.... It never gets dark here!! I'll need to be investing in a 24hr clock!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So many things wrong with your post. I realize that you are only 18, but there are a many irresponsible things that you did in this series of events.

Why would you even make breakfast if you are late?
Why didn't you call and tell them that you'd be late? You weren't even late yet.
Why do you just resign because you are late?
Why did you choose to do it via email and not call?

D

DeletedUser2

I totally agree with BIO

If you worked for me, and had any respect for others, you would call, and not quit by email.

someday, when your a boss, you will find younger people working for you. how would you like it if you were running a bzi, and people quit by email,

or text ect....

have the respect to face it directly. it will come back to you when someone comes to quit in your biz.

maybe you will have someone respect you someday, and you will really appreciate it.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
I totally agree with BIO

If you worked for me, and had any respect for others, you would call, and not quit by email.

someday, when your a boss, you will find younger people working for you. how would you like it if you were running a bzi, and people quit by email,

or text ect....

have the respect to face it directly. it will come back to you when someone comes to quit in your biz.

maybe you will have someone respect you someday, and you will really appreciate it.

Also, it's good to leave a job without burning any bridges because you might need to use that employer on a resume and you don't want them being pissed off if your prospective employer calls them.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas

I agree with you guys, but Ryan is not alone in this thinking. I know someone who's had 2 employees quit by sending text messages (although one did follow up with a letter the next day). Both were in their early twenties so I'm thinking it's a generational shift thing. Their boss even told them specifically to use a phone for important matters and not to text. They did it anyway. I think a lot of the under 30 crowd do it because they can't handle confrontation and don't want to be accountable for their decisions (No reflection on Ryan, I'm referring to the younger generation in general).

D

DeletedUser394

So many things wrong with your post. I realize that you are only 18, but there are a many irresponsible things that you did in this series of events.

As mentioned above, I'm relatively young. That being said, I'm always learning. Perhaps I made some mistakes this time, but I've learned from the event.

Why would you even make breakfast if you are late?

It was the first time I ever experienced something like this, and I clearly wasn't thinking properly.

Why didn't you call and tell them that you'd be late? You weren't even late yet.

Same as above.

Why do you just resign because you are late?

Honestly, I was just looking for a reason to get out of the responsibility. I have a tremendous amount of back pain, and it's almost like torture working through it. (I'm getting x rays this week).

I also don't enjoy getting up so early. I guess that's the sacrifice I'm going to have to make until I either find another job, or create enough income to live off of via my business.

Why did you choose to do it via email and not call?

Someone else mentioned it I believe. I tend to avoid confrontation. Emailing was the 'easy way out'.

My answers are in the quote. ^

D

DeletedUser394

or text ect....

I think it somewhat harsh to question my level of respect for other people based off of one simple action. However, for a while now, I've learned to keep my emotions in check, and you are entitled to your opinion. As Sparlin said, it is a generational thing.

For me personally, I have absolutely no issue/problem with people in the future quitting my business via email/text, so long as they at least notify me in some way that they are quitting (rather than just not showing up).

As for my current employer, we have only communicated via email (a dozen or so times), and never once by phone.

Thank you for the feedback.

D

DeletedUser394

Their boss even told them specifically to use a phone for important matters and not to text. They did it anyway.

Had he made any specific request that I call him for anything important, then I would have done so. That isn't rocket science, and I don't understand why those employees would ignore a specific request.

Milenko

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 6, 2011
Cleveland, OH
My answers are in the quote. ^

Good stuff Ryan - very self-aware responses and a great way to handle criticism that could have easily made you shoot back with a defensive attitude. All you can do is honestly evaluate your actions and try to learn what you can from the experience.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Had he made any specific request that I call him for anything important, then I would have done so. That isn't rocket science, and I don't understand why those employees would ignore a specific request.

Being from the same generation as you (21) I want to take a stab at why one method is better than others even without request.

Tone is very easy to misconstrue in text\email\etc. It leaves a huge disconnect between an actual person, and a screen. It's very is to just what is said and take it as is.

We see it on the forum all the time, with people offering constructive criticism, and yet someone takes it the wrong way. It's hard to tell if someone is ripping you a new one, or if they just aren't very tact in text form (which is hard due to tone!).

You can generally tell in person, if a person is being sincere. Do you think the boss would respond differently if you did hustle all the way to work, and out of breathe explain the situation compared to an email? He'll take an email as is, and the in person conversation with emotion.

Maybe being late one time isn't a huge deal to the boss, but a simple message saying you quit, is much different than getting there and explaining.

tl;dr: There is a huge disconnect with the emotional part of in person conversation in comparison with text\email. Heck, you can easily see it in messages between people here who have been to B&P, and with those that haven't. Difficult conversations in person (although frightening) go much better for both sides of it due to an element of emotion involved.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
For those of you who haven't followed Ryan, he's come a long way since he joined this forum.

He's grown a lot during the past 3 years. He used to be one of those hot-headed, know-it-all kids.

I've come to respect him a lot. He makes mistakes, like all of us do from time-to-time. But he tends to learn from them.

The youngest generation tends to live on their smart phones. So it isn't surprising that he thinks that's how you communicate with people -- because that's how he DOES communicate with people.

That said, I agree with Bio's post. His acts were immature. But he'll learn from them.

This reminds me of a young girl I had hired in my office as an office assistant. She'd sit there reading the help wanted ads, sending out resumes (I knew, because she'd leave them in the fax machine). She wasn't the brightest, but she was nice, and did what she was asked (as long as it wasn't too hard).

I called her in one Friday, and told her we were letting her go. I explained why (reading ads and faxing resumes) and said it was obvious that she didn't want to be there. She thanked me, left my office, and went back to her desk.

I went to my boss, and said "I don't think she got it." He and another guy -- a VP -- came up and told her "Sorry things didn't work out." They, too, went through some of the reasons why she was being let go. She said I was mean to her, but she gave them hugs goodbye.

Monday morning, as I was coming in, she was leaving in tears.
She came in to work as usual, and found someone else sitting at her desk. She told me, "I thought you guys were just kidding!"

Communication means different things to different folks.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
For those of you who haven't followed Ryan, he's come a long way since he joined this forum.

He's grown a lot during the past 3 years. He used to be one of those hot-headed, know-it-all kids.

I've come to respect him a lot. He makes mistakes, like all of us do from time-to-time. But he tends to learn from them.

The youngest generation tends to live on their smart phones. So it isn't surprising that he thinks that's how you communicate with people -- because that's how he DOES communicate with people.

That said, I agree with Bio's post. His acts were immature. But he'll learn from them.

This reminds me of a young girl I had hired in my office as an office assistant. She'd sit there reading the help wanted ads, sending out resumes (I knew, because she'd leave them in the fax machine). She wasn't the brightest, but she was nice, and did what she was asked (as long as it wasn't too hard).

I called her in one Friday, and told her we were letting her go. I explained why (reading ads and faxing resumes) and said it was obvious that she didn't want to be there. She thanked me, left my office, and went back to her desk.

I went to my boss, and said "I don't think she got it." He and another guy -- a VP -- came up and told her "Sorry things didn't work out." They, too, went through some of the reasons why she was being let go. She said I was mean to her, but she gave them hugs goodbye.

Monday morning, as I was coming in, she was leaving in tears.
She came in to work as usual, and found someone else sitting at her desk. She told me, "I thought you guys were just kidding!"

Communication means different things to different folks.

As a teacher, I can so see that happening Bob. After all, there is no deadline on homework or test grades and no one fails, and and and everyone gets another chance. Yep, see it everyday.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
After all, there is no deadline on homework or test grades and no one fails, and and and everyone gets another chance.

I hope that's more sarcasm than realistic. If there are no penalties for failed performance, then society is going to have major challenges in the future.

D

DeletedUser394

Seeing how vital communication skills are to business (and life in general), I've decided to join a Toastmasters club to improve my speaking ability. First meeting is tonight :)

D

DeletedUser394

I still get angry... let's call it frustrated, from time to time, but I've learned to deal with it, and dissipate it before it gets out of control.

This means a lot to me. Thank you :)

I'll have to disagree with this statement, because when it comes down to it, I know that to be true. Yet I made/make the choice of avoiding certain interactions.

I lack pretty basic social skills. I'm not a hermit or anything haha, but I'm typically very shy. I know that this comes from the way I was raised (with my mother taking care of everything, ordering for me at restaurants, etc) and now that I'm more or less on my own, it's taken some adjustment.

No excuse though, because I should know that to grow as a person you need to move outside of your comfort zone. Little steps I guess..

For sure.

Replies are in the quotes again :)

Anybid

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 13, 2009
Switzerland
Seems to me like this forum is working just great: older members with more experience giving valuable advice to younger members and they actually LISTEN! Way to go...;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.