The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Accepting payment from International Retailers/Clients

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
I'm at the stage in my business (almost 2 years deep) where I can get my product into stores. But now I have connected with a store in Australia, and they want to sell my product.

I currently accept Check and Paypal for wholesale sales. Are there any other methods of payments that I should have available for non American clients?
I might come off as unprofessional if I were to ask them what forms of payment are they capable of sending.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
International bank transfer. Obviously the fees are way more than paypal, but I've been able to pay chinese wholesalers using this method.
So when you set up the transaction, are they simply giving you their bank Routing #?

Cyberdeth

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jan 10, 2018
Sydney, Australia
So when you set up the transaction, are they simply giving you their bank Routing #?

Not really.
When I buy from Chinese wholesalers, they need to send me the following information:

bank account name
bank account number
SWIFT/BIC (What is a bank Identification Code (BIC) / SWIFT code?) code

Then I'll add the invoice reference number and that's all. You just need to wait a few days for the payment to clear, usually 3-5 business days.

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
Not really.
When I buy from Chinese wholesalers, they need to send me the following information:

bank account name
bank account number
SWIFT/BIC (What is a bank Identification Code (BIC) / SWIFT code?) code

Then I'll add the invoice reference number and that's all. You just need to wait a few days for the payment to clear, usually 3-5 business days.
Ignorant Question: Do international bank transfers follow the same protocols as a transfer between entities in the same nation?

Cyberdeth

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jan 10, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Ignorant Question: Do international bank transfers follow the same protocols as a transfer between entities in the same nation?

What do you mean? Fraud prevention, etc? Yes, but it's best to wait for the funds to clear before you ship the items. However, it depends on where the funds come from. Obviously, use common sense when dealing with overseas businesses. Ie. One of the more common scams are when you send an invoice and they "overpay" you and ask you to refund them the difference. That should raise red flags!

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
Note that, as @Cyberdeth briefly touched on, the wire fee can be substantial.. and you need to decide ahead of time who is paying for this, and clearly communicate it, so there are no surprises and/or delays.

BEN (beneficiary) means the sender does not pay any charges. The amount you receive will be less all transfer fees charged by the sender's bank and any intermediary bank(s).

OUR means the sender pays for all transfer charges. This guarantees that you the will receive the amount you invoiced in full.

SHA (shared) means sender only pays their bank's outgoing transfer charges. You (the receiver/beneficiary) would receive the payment minus any correspondent (intermediary) bank charges.

If you intend to receive the FULL invoiced amount, be sure to make this clear and specifically instruct your partners to wire the funds to you with the "OUR" instruction.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Go to your bank. Talk to a business banker.

Ask them how to accept international transfers into your account.

Write that information down.

Send it to the customer.

Don't overcomplicate it.

You'll have to pay like $60 in fees per transfer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.