The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Acceptance is the First Step to Recovery

Ray Richardson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Sep 3, 2018
People's Republic of NJ
Hi Everyone,

My name is Ray and I’m a slow lane pedestrian. Not sure why, but I somehow ended up reading TMF during my family vacation a few weeks ago. Reading the book was an “aha moment” as every description of the slow lane applied to me.

Background: I am in my mid 30’s and happily married with a kid. I live very modestly and have always maxed out my 401k, IRA, and enjoy maintaining my home and my income property. My 12-year career has been for the same blue-chip company while trading 5 for 2 (got a free MBA out of the deal at least). I always find the time to meet my family obligations and a get a few hours of fly fishing on the weekends. I have always thought of myself as a happy person, but TMF has showed me that there are ways I could increase my happiness.

Honestly, it is not the money I am chasing. It is the lifestyle and the control that my current situation does not provide me. Life would be much more enjoyable if I could spend more time at a local trout stream and if I did not have to put my child in aftercare for the few hours between when school ends and I get home from work. The freedom of not having to worry about bs like government intervention in my industry (currently a political hot-topic), c-suite directive to run the company leaner, or even working for a complete shithead while running the rat race is a very appealing proposition. This is what has brought me to the Fastlane community and to spill my personal reflection during my introduction.

I honestly do not know what the future holds for me except that my goal for the next year is to grow a set, figure something out, and take a plunge. I am a very passionate person about any job I have had because my top strengths are restorative (problem solving), responsibility, includer, arranger, and positivity. There are always problems to fix and people to collaborate with. This is the passion I take with me day in and day out regardless of the job. Now I just need to uncover a problem that I can help people solve to help me get started.

I have read the TMF, ordered Unscripted , and spent plenty of time reading the golden and notable threads. I will continue to educate myself on business before I get something off the ground. I am very excited about trying to make one dollar because that shows that I can use my strengths to get somebody to pay me for the value that I contributed to their life. That is the first step in the right direction because it proves to me that I can do this.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I look forward to personal growth and learning from everybody in the community during this journey. Another thanks to @MJ DeMarco for creating the platform to do so.

-Ray

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
images

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Everyone,

My name is Ray and I’m a slow lane pedestrian. Not sure why, but I somehow ended up reading TMF during my family vacation a few weeks ago. Reading the book was an “aha moment” as every description of the slow lane applied to me.

Background: I am in my mid 30’s and happily married with a kid. I live very modestly and have always maxed out my 401k, IRA, and enjoy maintaining my home and my income property. My 12-year career has been for the same blue-chip company while trading 5 for 2 (got a free MBA out of the deal at least). I always find the time to meet my family obligations and a get a few hours of fly fishing on the weekends. I have always thought of myself as a happy person, but TMF has showed me that there are ways I could increase my happiness.

Honestly, it is not the money I am chasing. It is the lifestyle and the control that my current situation does not provide me. Life would be much more enjoyable if I could spend more time at a local trout stream and if I did not have to put my child in aftercare for the few hours between when school ends and I get home from work. The freedom of not having to worry about bs like government intervention in my industry (currently a political hot-topic), c-suite directive to run the company leaner, or even working for a complete shithead while running the rat race is a very appealing proposition. This is what has brought me to the Fastlane community and to spill my personal reflection during my introduction.

I honestly do not know what the future holds for me except that my goal for the next year is to grow a set, figure something out, and take a plunge. I am a very passionate person about any job I have had because my top strengths are restorative (problem solving), responsibility, includer, arranger, and positivity. There are always problems to fix and people to collaborate with. This is the passion I take with me day in and day out regardless of the job. Now I just need to uncover a problem that I can help people solve to help me get started.

I have read the TMF, ordered Unscripted , and spent plenty of time reading the golden and notable threads. I will continue to educate myself on business before I get something off the ground. I am very excited about trying to make one dollar because that shows that I can use my strengths to get somebody to pay me for the value that I contributed to their life. That is the first step in the right direction because it proves to me that I can do this.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I look forward to personal growth and learning from everybody in the community during this journey. Another thanks to @MJ DeMarco for creating the platform to do so.

-Ray
Welcome to the forum.

G

Guest58302

Welcome to the forum, Ray!
This was honestly refreshing to read. Your mind is definitely in the right place. You have a strong meaning and purpose to propel you forward on your journey.
I will continue to educate myself on business before I get something off the ground.
Here's a tip I can give you: the most important thing for you to do is to take action. If you wait until you fully know the ins and outs of business, you'll find yourself never achieving anything concrete. Choose a Fastlane focus and learn all you can about it, while taking action on what you have learned. You already seem to have your senses tuned to finding needs. I'm sure you'll find a problem that you can solve! I can't wait to hear your success story!

On a side note: Do you know any good resources for learning how to fly fish? My father recently has shown interest in learning. He's always jealous at how you fly fishers seem to magically catch a fish with every cast!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ray Richardson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Sep 3, 2018
People's Republic of NJ
On a side note: Do you know any good resources for learning how to fly fish? My father recently has shown interest in learning. He's always jealous at how you fly fishers seem to magically catch a fish with every cast!

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I just picked up the hobby this past spring but was always into hunting and fishing. The best advice I can give is to watch youtube videos on the proper techniques of casting, practice in the yard, read forums / websites, and stop by the fly shops that are local to where you are fishing. Those guys should know the local rivers and what is working better than anybody. He can also book a guide to show him the ropes if money is not an issue.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...