The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

About to have my first sales meeting

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Gabbe18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 16, 2020
Sweden
So I am about to have my first sales meeting since I started working with web design a few weeks back and I am wondering if any of you record your sales meetings/calls?
Just to clarify, I am talking about audio recording and not video recording . I could see it as really beneficial in the beginning so I don't miss anything and so that I can review the audio afterwards.

Any feedback is appreciated! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
As long as you don't make it public. :)

If you know what you are going to say (ie the steps you take from beginning to end) it is a good idea to maybe have a checklist for every call afterwards and assess your performance.

Example
Did I prepare for the call?
Did I Open Well?
Did I Fact Find Well?
Did I Consolidate Well? (If sold)

or whatever and mark yourself from 1 - 5 with some comments, then as you improve each stage you will hit a set of parameters that broadly results in a sale.

A bit like a Sportsperson would make notes of every training sessions and assess each step.

Good Luck with your call. Have fun and don't beat yourself up if it goes pear-shaped .

Dan

Gabbe18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 16, 2020
Sweden
As long as you don't make it public. :)

If you know what you are going to say (ie the steps you take from beginning to end) it is a good idea to maybe have a checklist for every call afterwards and assess your performance.

Example
Did I prepare for the call?
Did I Open Well?
Did I Fact Find Well?
Did I Consolidate Well? (If sold)

or whatever and mark yourself from 1 - 5 with some comments, then as you improve each stage you will hit a set of parameters that broadly results in a sale.

A bit like a Sportsperson would make notes of every training sessions and assess each step.

Good Luck with your call. Have fun and don't beat yourself up if it goes pear-shaped .

Dan
Thanks for the reply. I have a good feeling this call will go well. Have you ever recorded yourself during a meeting or call and if so what did the interviewee say?

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
No I have not, I just analyze what I have done the moment I have finished

If I did sales calls on the phone I may just click record and not mention it as I would just analyze what went on how I paced and came across, then delete the recording, but if it was face to face I would ask if I were to record it.

Dan

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
So how did it go?

Anything constructive you took from it for next time?

Dan

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I've definitely recorded sales calls. For large projects I wanted to make sure I could record the conversation without having to take notes.

Other times it's was to listen to myself and learn from the experience in the third person.

Gabbe18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 16, 2020
Sweden
So how did it go?

Dan
I haven't had the meeting yet. I have it on Tuesday morning but I will get back with an update then! :)

Gabbe18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 16, 2020
Sweden
So how did it go?

Dan
So, I had the sales call and I achieved my only goal with this meeting which was to close the client and build them a website! However there were a few things that I wish would have happened a bit differently and that I will take into consideration next time.
First, I wanted to build the website with a HTML and CSS template and I tried to convince the client to agree but without success. So I am building the website in wordpress instead and that's fine too since I am familiar wordpress.
Second, I actually never found a problem where I could improve their sales or sales system. Even after asking them repeatedly through different angles. They were just really unhappy with the current set up they had and just wanted a new website.
Apart from that everything pretty much went according to plan. There is definitely a lot of room for improvement in terms of sales skills but it was my first ever sales call and I achieved the most important objective for me which was to build the website for the client.

Jasper S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jul 14, 2020
Chicagoland Area
So, I had the sales call and I achieved my only goal with this meeting which was to close the client and build them a website! However there were a few things that I wish would have happened a bit differently and that I will take into consideration next time.
First, I wanted to build the website with a HTML and CSS template and I tried to convince the client to agree but without success. So I am building the website in wordpress instead and that's fine too since I am familiar wordpress.
Second, I actually never found a problem where I could improve their sales or sales system. Even after asking them repeatedly through different angles. They were just really unhappy with the current set up they had and just wanted a new website.
Apart from that everything pretty much went according to plan. There is definitely a lot of room for improvement in terms of sales skills but it was my first ever sales call and I achieved the most important objective for me which was to build the website for the client.
Congratulations! It's exciting to hear your first sales call went well and you accomplished your goal.

I wouldn't be too upset that you couldn't find a problem to improve their sales system because it sounds like the main pain point for them is actually their current system. Maybe it's difficult to use? Maybe it's difficult to update and change? I would ask them what they like/dislike about their current system and what they need and want in the new system. That way you can build them what they want.

If you are just looking for one specific thing you might not see a different opportunity.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Well done Gabbe! :)

Just bear in mind you can put people off if you try too hard to get them to agree to something they have not brought up.

'So why do you want a new website? What is it you hope to achieve?'

Then take it from there. Deep down it will be about sales directly or indirectly via image. Otherwise they would not want not changed.

You freshening it up in their mind will mean a better current image and therefore anyone who may want to do work with them will maybe just give their site a cursory glance and be satisfied they are legit.

So you are helping them but not the way you were thinking, which was probably some super-duper Direct Marketing thing.

Dan

Gabbe18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 16, 2020
Sweden
Cheers guys!
I appreciate the kind words and feedback.

Maybe it's difficult to use? Maybe it's difficult to update and change? I would ask them what they like/dislike about their current system and what they need and want in the new system. That way you can build them what they want.

If you are just looking for one specific thing you might not see a different opportunity
In terms of their current system, they just dislike that they have to pay a monthly fee to a company that does all the changes for them , instead they want to have full control. Also they had a few ideas/features that they couldn't put on the website with their current system. And the website is pretty old and would definitely benefit from a more modern look. So those are the main things I'll help them with.

I think I went into the sales call convinced that they wanted help with sales when in reality they just wanted an easier way to manage the website and implement changes and new ideas.

Just bear in mind you can put people off if you try too hard to get them to agree to something they have not brought up.
That's a good point. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Good little lesson for you though. :)

I think I went into the sales call convinced that they wanted help with sales when in reality they just wanted an easier way to manage the website and implement changes and new ideas.

If someone is prepared to give you their valuable time there is a reason. Until you ask you have no idea what that reason is and why.

'So why do you want a new website? What is it you hope to achieve?'

Why stress the night before wondering what they will want and rehearsing some hypothetical presentation?

Make life easy for yourself. Ask them why they agreed to speak to you? What is it they want? And Why?

Then like painting by numbers you tell them your proposal.

Dan

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.