The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A teenager and a burning question

Rossoneri

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 13, 2020
Virginia
Hello everyone, my name is Jaden and I’m 16 and from Virginia. I’ve been lurking on the forum without an account for awhile and I’ve read Unscripted .

I currently run a small lawn mowing business generating $500 in monthly recurring revenue. I have a few limiting beliefs that hold me back by a ton, and have been trying to solve them for years. (anxiety to take action in terms of sales - door knocking and even taking phone calls - and feeling that people are judging me constantly.) Due to these beliefs I have trouble taking action because I’m anxious/nervous that people are going to judge me and chase me out for putting flyers or posting ads on Nextdoor. Or that I’m going to get screamed at on the phone. Maybe I need more thick skin.

I also wonder if it’s worth grinding my teenage years in order to go into the Fastlane. People say that you should enjoy your time in high school/youth as it’s your best years. I’m very conflicted about this.

Anywho, the reason I joined this forum is because have a burning desire to learn and grow and I want to realize what I’m truly capable of. I feel like I’ve built a 20 ton brick wall and I can’t break through it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hello everyone, my name is Jaden and I’m 16 and from Virginia. I’ve been lurking on the forum without an account for awhile and I’ve read Unscripted .

I currently run a small lawn mowing business generating $500 in monthly recurring revenue. I have a few limiting beliefs that hold me back by a ton, and have been trying to solve them for years. (anxiety to take action in terms of sales - door knocking and even taking phone calls - and feeling that people are judging me constantly.) Due to these beliefs I have trouble taking action because I’m anxious/nervous that people are going to judge me and chase me out for putting flyers or posting ads on Nextdoor. Or that I’m going to get screamed at on the phone. Maybe I need more thick skin.

I also wonder if it’s worth grinding my teenage years in order to go into the Fastlane. People say that you should enjoy your time in high school/youth as it’s your best years. I’m very conflicted about this.

Anywho, the reason I joined this forum is because have a burning desire to learn and grow and I want to realize what I’m truly capable of. I feel like I’ve built a 20 ton brick wall and I can’t break through it.
So what is your burning question?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

@Johnny boy care to take this one?

Rossoneri

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 13, 2020
Virginia
So what is your burning question?

if it’s worth grinding my teenage years to go into the Fastlane in my 20s. People say to me that you should ‘enjoy’ your time in high school and such. I’m conflicting on this issue.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
if it’s worth grinding my teenage years to go into the Fastlane in my 20s. People say to me that you should ‘enjoy’ your time in high school and such. I’m conflicting on this issue.
What do you think the "Fastlane" is?
Describe it in your own words in lets say 5-6 sentences.

Rossoneri

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 13, 2020
Virginia
What do you think the "Fastlane" is?
Describe it in your own words in lets say 5-6 sentences.

That’s a good question. What I think Fastlane is when you have enough freedom/money to quit a normal slow lane job and live the comfortable/wealthy lifestyle for years. To have the freedom to do what you want to do. I can’t really say anything further than that.

Jessica Reid

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 9, 2020
New Jersey

You shouldn't miss out on special moments like going to Prom but my answer is yes. If your desire is to enter the Fastlane, then the earlier the better. Being sixteen (and I'm assuming you still live at home) with no rent, no bills or major responsibilities, and time on your hands, this is the time where you should go after your dreams of becoming a Fastlaner. Don't let your fears get in your way. The worst that can happen is that someone says "no, not interested." Don't attach meaning to their "no." Their no does not mean that you are not capable of creating a business and becoming a successful entrepreneur. Prove the naysayers wrong. Plus, I'd encourage you to spend time learning about other successful teenage entrepreneurs to help with your mindset. The fact that your bringing in $500/month in revenue is amazing! Keep it up!

To you second statement, "People say to me that you should ‘enjoy’ your time in high school and such." I may step on some toes when I say this but I think its just hogwash bull crap coming from someone with a slow lane mentality. They don't think it's possible for you to semi-retire at 18, 20, 21, 25, 30, 35. They're probably saying that because they think you want to start your 50-year workforce sentence early. If they knew that your efforts NOW will result in you retiring at 21 or 25 as a successful entrepreneur, they'd likely have a different opinion about how you're spending your free time as a teenager.

Here is a video by True Stories:
Teen Millionaires | The kids running successful businesses who say you can too
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YCGM7FiCGg&t=551s

I understand your concerns fully...My mom said the same exact thing to me 13 years ago (I was 14) when I wanted to get a job at the grocery store. She said, "no enjoy your teenage years. You'll have plenty of time to work later. Enjoy being a kid." But had I started working a measley 15-20 hours a week, instead of spending that same exact time in front of the T.V., I would have realized sooner that employee life is not for me, entrepreneurship is. Instead of spending all my free time reading fiction novels, I would have spent my time reading entrepreneurship books, chose classes in high school that would have facilitated my learning, taken internships, and saved my money working the grocery job and use it as seed money for my first business. Plus, as MJ DeMarco said in a podcast interview, working jobs is one of the greatest ways we discover problems, potential solutions, and business ideas.

Hope that helps and you got this!!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Jiersk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 3, 2020
Netherlands
Hey Jaden,

I noticed one particular piece in your post that I'd like to focus on:
"I also wonder if it’s worth grinding my teenage years in order to go into the Fastlane. People say that you should enjoy your time in high school/youth as it’s your best years. I’m very conflicted about this. "

I think we should ask ourselves: Why do people refer to high school/youth as their best years?

Many answers may be possible. Going to school can be very fun at times. There's also a bunch of new experiences that many people go through when they are teens and they look back at contently when they are older. Falling in love for the first time may be one example. The novelty effect plays a role here, I reckon.

But, I also think many people refer to one important thing when they recall their best years: freedom and a lack of worrying duties. When most people are young, they are not living the standard 'grind' that many people find themselves in later in life, working a job they don't really enjoy etc.

If you manage to free yourself, what ever that means, your best years may actually be ahead of you. Perhaps you will have the time of your life when you are in your 30s.

I would advise to ask yourself: What would 'best years' mean to me? Are these things inherent to me being a teenager (e.g. just having fun at high school with your buddies)? Or could they also occur later in life (e.g. being financially free)?

If it's the latter, you may want to spent a good time during your teen years working and setting yourself up for your best years to come later.

A small disclaimer is in place here though: I am only 22 myself, still quite young (even though I feel old at times LOL). I might not be the right person to give life advice, but felt interested by your question and wanted to weigh in.

Good luck!

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Hey man I'm 17.
They are telling you that you should enjoy your teenage years.
Look from a different perspective.
Who is telling you that?

Your stupid schoolmate and other older people working 9-5 that hope they could be your age right now to waste it again on drinking, playing video games and other things that eat up your wallet and your health.
We have a massive advantage we can fail many times before even finishing our school while other people stress about their kids and mortgages while still making life changing decisions.

They are telling you that best years of life are 20-30 because. Why? Because after that they get a family and a 80k mortgage that has to be paid every month.

I already hate my job and I'm 17 I can't imagine myself working in a cafe for another 10 years. It gets me sick.

Honestly I know you know what's the right answer to this "burning question"
I hope everyone on this forum does.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Due to these beliefs I have trouble taking action because I’m anxious/nervous that people are going to judge me and chase me out for putting flyers or posting ads on Nextdoor. Or that I’m going to get screamed at on the phone.

If you were a 40 year old man, that wasn't from the neighborhood, maybe they would.

If you start everything you do by saying "I am a 16 year old kid..." everyone immediately thinks "good for you".

Maybe I need more thick skin.

The only way to get thick skin is to do it more.

Why can't you do both?

Next step, flyers like this: Powerwashing Flyers took business from $0 to $13,202 per month

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
spend time on what YOU think about you. your effect on others and how you can help them.
can you help your friends with jobs and teaching them about the business? can you get people who want to talk to people to be your salesforce? how do you get the business to only need you for leadership and not for doing the work?

flip this. you are spending your time enjoying yourself helping others, making money to be able to be free with what you do, and spending time with friends and family creating something. this is an awesome time!!

how can we grow your business? how can we make it where you are no longer needed to run it?

how can you get you to see you and what you do in an awesome light where you are creating the life you want and showing your friends and family by example how to enjoy yourself now?!

proud of you. keep it going!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...