The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A ridiculous idea

Idea threads

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
I have a boss at my current slow lane job. He has an actual job working with cable companies to dispatch technicians and to basically enter their data basis and fix things. A heavy STEM field using lynix and all those very complex things. He works remotely meaning they can call him at any minute night or day. I know this is very stressful and he is compensated very well. That is about all I know. I also know he is often working at his kids track meets and baseball games.

This week I was watching all these Ted talks on how everyday we are increasingly dependent on technology. Kids from my generation can't seem to shake the screens no matter what they are. Computers, phones, video games. It is ridiculous. It is also sad as social norm are forever erased from our society. Look at my post history and if you know me I am remarkably old fashioned. I was brought up that way. Now in alot of the ted talks people had "detached" themselves from their phones. What if we offered a service to people that let this happen easily. From what I know in shipping this is what it could look like.

They request the service. we send them a prepaid box. The box pre done up so that the phone wouldn't break.

We hold their phone for say 3 days. Call it the "3 day phoneless challenge" or the "connection reset" or what have you. Then after 3 days we ship it back.

Interesting right? Most people this is impossible due to phone related obligations. I am constantly spitting out ideas to my boss and he liked this one. Like an excused way to get away from his phone.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rivertucky

Hard times Kiss my a$$!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Feb 16, 2015
tampa
Neat Idea! I think the only way it would work would be if the parents of the kids did it as punishment. Most kids wont relinquish their phones.
Let alone admit to say their is a problem...

On the adult side of things, I could see them having a hard time admitting that their is a problem as well. haha

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 17, 2014
UK
I know the owner of Calm.com, Alex Tew (the guy who invented the million dollar homepage) made an app that kept track of how many times you check your phone per day and how long you spent using it (it was actually a very basic app and only a way of getting advertising for the calm app.)

I personally think something like that, with targets, badges and achievement levels and a social aspect would be better than sending your phone away.

I only use my phone a few times a day (don't have any apps or anything on it) but need it incase I get stuck somewhere, need a taxi or directions, or incase anyone calls in an emergency. Sending it away for 3 days defeats the point of having a phone, for me.

When I see couples out for a meal with each other and they are both on their phones I actually feel sad for the future.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
I know the owner of Calm.com, Alex Tew (the guy who invented the million dollar homepage) made an app that kept track of how many times you check your phone per day and how long you spent using it (it was actually a very basic app and only a way of getting advertising for the calm app.)

I personally think something like that, with targets, badges and achievement levels and a social aspect would be better than sending your phone away.

I only use my phone a few times a day (don't have any apps or anything on it) but need it incase I get stuck somewhere, need a taxi or directions, or incase anyone calls in an emergency. Sending it away for 3 days defeats the point of having a phone, for me.

When I see couples out for a meal with each other and they are both on their phones I actually feel sad for the future.
that last part is the whole problem. People in their teens and 20's cannot socialized anymore. They go out to eat and enjoy nothing of the other persons conversation or presence. They just stick to the phone. It is very sad

yes that was my biggest concern is that you need your phone. This really would be a test of could you do it? could you live like my parents did? no one remembers addresses, phone numbers, contact info. No one can see their bank balance without it. No one can use a map anymore. Myself included. It would have to be a society effort and it is obviously not happening in my lifetime.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
This isn't meant to shoot down your idea, but merely to provide my perspective as a potential customer.

My cell phone is my landline. I am not alone in this. So you can't have my phone for 3 days. If you want to trade my phone for a dumb one for three days? Perhaps we could talk. Still, would this be a service I'd be willing to pay for? Probably not.

I'm also one of the schlubs that carries two smart phones; one for work and one for personal. Sending you my work phone will not be an option unless you want to seek approval from my employer... so that further limits my potential likelihood of using a service like this. If I'm going to be tethered to work, there will be limited returns in sending you only my personal smart phone...for exchange with a dumb one.

Dumb phones are still available through most providers but low-end smart phones (like the Huawei Valiant, etc) provide more value for the buck even for those would like to limit their connectedness. It's hard to justify $50-$300 for a dumb phone when you can buy a 'simple' smart phone for $80.

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
Interesting idea - maybe think of an app that basically turned your phone 'dumb' for X hours or days? Then there's none of the cumbersome mailing, storing, 'you lost/broke my phone' stuff. I wouldn't want to send a phone anywhere from a privacy/data security POV either (poss. data security legal hoops for you to jump through as well?), and i doubt I'm alone there.

An app based solution could be used by parents as punishment without leaving the kids phoneless in an emergency, and used as a productivity app by the rest of us. I guess you could kinda of achieve this almost just by forcing cell data off/wifi off, that would kill off basically everything bar basic phone/sms.

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
Would be better if your service received their phone, then swapped it out for a phone that only calls. Port over the address book, received/missed/dialed list, and forward incoming calls to their old number over to this phone.

Then you solve the "emergency" problem and still prevent the ceaseless texting, tweeting, instagramming, and other gen-y bullshit that comes with owning a smartphone.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
Would be better if your service received their phone, then swapped it out for a phone that only calls. Port over the address book, received/missed/dialed list, and forward incoming calls to their old number over to this phone.

Then you solve the "emergency" problem and still prevent the ceaseless texting, tweeting, instagramming, and other gen-y bullshit that comes with owning a smartphone.
Yea that is exactly what the product would do. I essence getting rid of the BS associated with phones these days. Maybe this is much better suited with an app. An you would have more scale and control with an app over shipping it. interesting

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
This isn't meant to shoot down your idea, but merely to provide my perspective as a potential customer.

My cell phone is my landline. I am not alone in this. So you can't have my phone for 3 days. If you want to trade my phone for a dumb one for three days? Perhaps we could talk. Still, would this be a service I'd be willing to pay for? Probably not.

I'm also one of the schlubs that carries two smart phones; one for work and one for personal. Sending you my work phone will not be an option unless you want to seek approval from my employer... so that further limits my potential likelihood of using a service like this. If I'm going to be tethered to work, there will be limited returns in sending you only my personal smart phone...for exchange with a dumb one.

Dumb phones are still available through most providers but low-end smart phones (like the Huawei Valiant, etc) provide more value for the buck even for those would like to limit their connectedness. It's hard to justify $50-$300 for a dumb phone when you can buy a 'simple' smart phone for $80.

Yes you certainly wouldn't benefit from this service. We should make it more of a student thing or a "back to basic" thing for people like my parents. People who do and still vividly remember a time before smart phones.

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Ehhh I don't see light phone really going anywhere. The majority of people buy a phone these days to have all of the features that come with it (and not really for voice-to-voice communication). It's convenient having the ability to pull out a phone and take a picture, google something quick, or find directions with a maps app, etc.

They are catering to a very small, and dying market with this device. Smartphones make our lives easier as they are miniature Computers with many different and useful capabilities. They are constantly getting easier to use, more sleek, efficient, versatile. Light Phone is going back in time few decades minus the bulk. Go to the mass majority of the population and ask them what they primarily use their phone for; I guarantee it won't be 'calling'. The younger generations certainly won't be using it to call either.

I'm sure it'll be purchased as a novelty at first, but will end up in some drawer never used eventually as it's such an inconvenient device.

Sure it'll be used by the older folk who just want a phone, but creating a device for the technologically unsavvy demographic isn't going to grow their business. I'd also like to mention that all of the older folk I help with phone issues (in my slowlane job) generally use their phone for calling, but ALSO like to email or use certain apps/games (something the light phone can't do). In terms of entry barrier, any smartphone OS could have a 'simple' mode built-in that does the exact same thing as the light phone (but also has additional features if needed such as google search).

Reminds me of when Vine came out and offered a instagram experience, but with videos. Instagram's response to this? Just allow users to post pictures AND videos. That took a large chunk of Vine users back to Instagram.

Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
648%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Ehhh I don't see light phone really going anywhere. The majority of people buy a phone these days to have all of the features that come with it (and not really for voice-to-voice communication). It's convenient having the ability to pull out a phone and take a picture, google something quick, or find directions with a maps app, etc.

They are catering to a very small, and dying market with this device. Smartphones make our lives easier as they are miniature Computers with many different and useful capabilities. They are constantly getting easier to use, more sleek, efficient, versatile. Light Phone is going back in time few decades minus the bulk. Go to the mass majority of the population and ask them what they primarily use their phone for; I guarantee it won't be 'calling'. The younger generations certainly won't be using it to call either.

I'm sure it'll be purchased as a novelty at first, but will end up in some drawer never used eventually as it's such an inconvenient device.

I don't think you understand the value.

The value of the Light Phone is living in the moment.

The fact that it has no features is the feature that people want. Calling is there for emergencies or if someone really needs to get a hold of them. Other than that, the phone's purpose is to be as much not like a phone as it possibly can be.

Here's a good book on the topic: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Now-Guide-Spiritual-Enlightenment/dp/1577314808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432767624&sr=8-1&keywords=the power of now. A bit "new-age-y" but still highly recommended.

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I understand the 'living in the moment' aspect to it, but I still don't think that it's targeting a growing market. You can 'live in the moment' with or without a light phone.

The power of now is on my 'to read' list; maybe my opinion will change after reading it. However, I get the general concept, and still think light phone will be nothing more than (maybe) a fad.

early riser

Grind Harder
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2014
Both coasts. The west now.
I'm not trying to be a jerk here but why wouldn't I just shut off my phone?
Would do the same thing. Then again I am not very phone dependent.

I guess the benefit with your service is I can't have it no matter how much the temptation.
In that way it makes sense as I do the same with sweets as I know I'd give in.
Therefore I don't have them in the house and in turn can't eat them.

Another angle I think that would benefit you may be if you send out the phone you are also buying some service/product/etc. in turn that replaces the time the phone took from someone.

Like they send in the phone, you send them a book (and maybe a pre-smart phone)
Seeing how they would have to give up a book they are in the middle of to get the smart phone back, might be less tempted?
I don't know, just brainstorming.

Just if you are to take something from someone, they need a benefit in return.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.