The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A new way to raise capital?

tbsells

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 27, 2007
Ohio
Last edited:

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
http://www.fannation.com/articles/show/1511819

A potential major league baseball player selling shares of his potential future income. This might work for some sharp people with talent, skills, and ideas but no money.
Wow, that's amazing. Brilliant idea in my opinion. If they can sign on some of the blue-chip prospects, they could certainly be onto something here. I'm kinda surprised that Major League Baseball officials haven't seen a problem with this, though.

Great idea. Great find. Thanks tb...rep+++

tbsells

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 27, 2007
Ohio
Yanks,
You are the guy I thought of when making the post. A sharp young guy with a bright future. Who says it has to be a ballplayer. This might be the way you raise your first million in start up capital.

P.S. I'm also suprised MLB hasn't stopped it. The article says it complies with SEC reg's. I thought that was a little suprising also.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
http://www.fannation.com/articles/show/1511819

A potential major league baseball player selling shares of his potential future income. This might work for some sharp people with talent, skills, and ideas but no money.

I was thinking of doing the same for young entrepreneurs. Some guys right here in our forum would be great investments. :smxB:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bigmako

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 25, 2008
California
I love the concept!

One has to ask though...

Is 25 years old "old" to be trying to get in the MLB?

Not sure as I am a football fan mostly!

Great concept though!

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Yanks,
You are the guy I thought of when making the post. A sharp young guy with a bright future. Who says it has to be a ballplayer. This might be the way you raise your first million in start up capital.

P.S. I'm also suprised MLB hasn't stopped it. The article says it complies with SEC reg's. I thought that was a little suprising also.
The main reason that I'm shocked to hear that it hasn't been stopped is because it seems kinda similar to gambling, which as we know, MLB and most other professional sports try very hard to stay away from. IMO, that's what's kept an major sports teams from locating in Vegas.

And that does sound like a pretty cool idea, but I'd probably want to get my feet wet in something else first.
I love the concept!

One has to ask though...

Is 25 years old "old" to be trying to get in the MLB?

Not sure as I am a football fan mostly!

Great concept though!
Baseball players generally lose "prospect" status around 25 or 26, but some guys, especially relief pitchers as the player in the article is, are late-bloomers. He is in Double-A right now I believe. He could be in the Majors by the middle of this season if he performs well. Relievers usually come and go, so he'll most likely get a shot pretty shortly somewhere.

And MJ...that'd be a pretty cool idea.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I haven't read the article yet, but I think its the same approach that this guys are using:

http://www.springwise.com/entertainment/bands_funded_by_their_fans_upd_1/

Last week, SellaBand celebrated their first anniversary with a 'SellaBration' in Amsterdam's pop temple, Paradiso. Our description of the concept when they launched: aiming to empower independent artists, SellaBand has created a platform that enables fans to sponsor bands, and get a piece of the action in return. How it works: fans, dubbed Believers, find an artist they like on SellaBand.com. For USD 10, they can buy a share, or 'Part'. Once the band has sold 5,000 parts, SellaBand arranges a professional recording, including top studios, A&R managers and producers. Believers receive a limited edition cd of the recording.

So—what happened over the past year? Fans have invested over USD 1,000,000 in the bands they believe in. The first band to raise USD 50,000 was Nemesea, which did so in 83 days. Six other bands have also raised 50K. Three of them—Nemesea, Cubworld and Second Person—have produced and launched their first album, and the other four are hard at work in the recording studio. In total, 4,806 artists signed up to SellaBand.

I don't remember if this was already posted too:

http://www.springwise.com/lifestyle_leisure/crowdbuying_a_soccer_team/

I think its a really cool idea!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.