This thought process came up while talking via PM with another member here on the forum. I'm curious if any other members have had the same situation, and if so, how they dealt with it.
I've realized my biggest fear of becoming an entrepreneur is that fact that I have become very successful at the slow lane. A little back story on myself. My parents were un-educated business owners who became very successful through hard work and doing the right thing for the right reasons. I remember my Mother saving $2,000 one dollar bills from tips as a waitress to start the business. Her message was always, if your getting paid $10 hour, work like your getting $20 hour and someone will notice and pay you $15.
I went to trade school for welding and took a job right after school. After two years, I had been promoted from welder to shift leader, asst - supervisor, to supervisor. Within 10 years I had become a department manager with 4 supervisors and 87 direct reports under me. I am currently a plant manager with complete day to day operations control and P&L responsibilty for a 11M / year company. We live in a nice house in a great neiborhood, my wife drives a bmw (used 3 series, lol, nothing to fancy) and I have a brand new truck. We have a lot of toys and take great vacations every year. I am very proud of what I have accomplished but............I spend every minute of every day looking for a way out but never do it, never pull the trigger. It hit me while talking to PatrickP (Thank you!) that I feer losing what I have worked so hard to get. I wonder if I was worse off so to speak, would taking the risk of business ownership be easier?
Maybe this is a common reason or fear for many on this forum but it just hit me like a ton of bricks this morning. I always thought the reason I never moved forward was timing, business idea, did I have what it takes, etc. I'm just afraid of giving up the comfort I have created and putting myself to the test.
Have others been in simular situations and if successful, how did you do it?
I've realized my biggest fear of becoming an entrepreneur is that fact that I have become very successful at the slow lane. A little back story on myself. My parents were un-educated business owners who became very successful through hard work and doing the right thing for the right reasons. I remember my Mother saving $2,000 one dollar bills from tips as a waitress to start the business. Her message was always, if your getting paid $10 hour, work like your getting $20 hour and someone will notice and pay you $15.
I went to trade school for welding and took a job right after school. After two years, I had been promoted from welder to shift leader, asst - supervisor, to supervisor. Within 10 years I had become a department manager with 4 supervisors and 87 direct reports under me. I am currently a plant manager with complete day to day operations control and P&L responsibilty for a 11M / year company. We live in a nice house in a great neiborhood, my wife drives a bmw (used 3 series, lol, nothing to fancy) and I have a brand new truck. We have a lot of toys and take great vacations every year. I am very proud of what I have accomplished but............I spend every minute of every day looking for a way out but never do it, never pull the trigger. It hit me while talking to PatrickP (Thank you!) that I feer losing what I have worked so hard to get. I wonder if I was worse off so to speak, would taking the risk of business ownership be easier?
Maybe this is a common reason or fear for many on this forum but it just hit me like a ton of bricks this morning. I always thought the reason I never moved forward was timing, business idea, did I have what it takes, etc. I'm just afraid of giving up the comfort I have created and putting myself to the test.
Have others been in simular situations and if successful, how did you do it?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
