The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Great DOFOLLOW List

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey

Kfleming

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 29, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Just be careful, after the most recent search update, Google is giving a lot less weight to low quality backlinks, and more weight to links from authoritative sites like NYTimes etc.. Time to get those press releases rolling!

ihenman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Apr 18, 2011
Kfleming

Just to play devils advocate here... there is no proof at all about what google has or hasn't devalued. From my large network (100+) test sites I've seen sites that took a nose dive that had no "grey" or "black" hat techniques used on them and sites that only used automated backlink building techniques not take a dive.

Sites like those in the list can be of use if used correctly (i.e. create an account and add to the conversation). A link cached in Googles Index is a link that counts. Just don't load up on one kind of link and you should be OK.

Disclaimer: I have not ability to know what the Google Gods will do next so take that last statement with a grain of salt. ;)

Kfleming

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 29, 2011
Philadelphia PA
@ihenman - you're right there isn't any hard data to support many of the claims being made by these "SEO experts" (too many ads above the fold - which is bs btw.. etc) I actually wrote a post calling many of these guys out a few weeks ago - Seriously Google WTF is a Content Farm?

However we do have some compelling internal data that clearly shows sites with many authoritative links from news sites were not hit, where as many blogs that were ranking well because of links from other non authoritative blogs saw a serious drop in traffic. Low quality links won't hurt you, but they won't help you as much as they used to either. Here is a great example of a site that was a victim of this effect - moneyning.com - Quantcast Audience Profile

At the end of the day, SEO is like everything else in business - it's all about looking for where you are going to get the greatest return on your investment, the investment being the time you put into link building. Getting a link from Bloomberg, CNBC or the New York Times is going to have a much greater impact on increasing the authority and credibility of your site which in the long run will lead to better rankings, regardless of how changes to the Google algorithm play out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
@ihenman - you're right there isn't any hard data to support many of the claims being made by these "SEO experts" (too many ads above the fold - which is bs btw.. etc) I actually wrote a post calling many of these guys out a few weeks ago - Seriously Google WTF is a Content Farm?

However we do have some compelling internal data that clearly shows sites with many authoritative links from news sites were not hit, where as many blogs that were ranking well because of links from other non authoritative blogs saw a serious drop in traffic. Low quality links won't hurt you, but they won't help you as much as they used to either. Here is a great example of a site that was a victim of this effect - moneyning.com - Quantcast Audience Profile

At the end of the day, SEO is like everything else in business - it's all about looking for where you are going to get the greatest return on your investment, the investment being the time you put into link building. Getting a link from Bloomberg, CNBC or the New York Times is going to have a much greater impact on increasing the authority and credibility of your site which in the long run will lead to better rankings, regardless of how changes to the Google algorithm play out.

So what are some good ways to get the links from CNBC, Bloomberg, etc.?

Kfleming

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 29, 2011
Philadelphia PA
That could be a whole thread on it's own but basically you need to be seen as an "expert" in your niche by the press which sounds hard, but it's actually easier than you would think if you get some good press releases and find the right people to send them to. Then every time one of these sites writes about something relating to your niche they end up contacting you for a quote or your opinion and give a link to your site.

You can even become a contributor for some of these sites (like the Huffington Post), write your own articles with your own links - as long as you can get them past editorial.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
That could be a whole thread on it's own but basically you need to be seen as an "expert" in your niche by the press which sounds hard, but it's actually easier than you would think if you get some good press releases and find the right people to send them to. Then every time one of these sites writes about something relating to your niche they end up contacting you for a quote or your opinion and give a link to your site.

You can even become a contributor for some of these sites (like the Huffington Post), write your own articles with your own links - as long as you can get them past editorial.

I think I now understand how some stuff gets published by Huffington Post. lol Hmmm, I may need to look into this for both my projects.

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota
I'm really sure that the people who own those sites want your link spam.

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota
Do you have anything helpful to say here?

Do you? Or do you think that spamming your sites on other peoples' sites is okay? Are you that hard up for traffic? Do you have any idea how many man hours goes into cleaning up crap like that?

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't those DOFOLLOW sites only count if they were relevant to your site and/or keywords?

wallstreet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 17, 2010
I'm going to assume no. Its always surprising how many people will pop up to complain and offer no better alternative.

I would ignore him Knowledge, thanks for the helpful info.

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota
I'm going to assume no. Its always surprising how many people will pop up to complain and offer no better alternative.

I would ignore him Knowledge, thanks for the helpful info.

My guess is that you've never had to delete hundreds of fake posts in a single day, have you? I would also bet that you've never had to manually sort through thousands of new fake nicknames so you could delete the spammers on a messageboard either. That's what happens when people post lists like this. Suddenly people who are just trying to run a site or two are flooded with garbage.

The better alternative you seek is this: Build quality sites that people will naturally find and link to. In time, you will get traffic. Or, buy ad spots or try out PPC. Google AdSense can be very profitable if you experiment a bit. Perhaps you could hand out flyers or buy a newspaper ad. If you really want to get crazy you could make some YouTube videos or start a Podcast. There is NO need to pollute forums and blogs etc. with your sites.

wallstreet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 17, 2010
My guess is that you've never had to delete hundreds of fake posts in a single day, have you? I would also bet that you've never had to manually sort through thousands of new fake nicknames so you could delete the spammers on a messageboard either. That's what happens when people post lists like this. Suddenly people who are just trying to run a site or two are flooded with garbage.

The better alternative you seek is this: Build quality sites that people will naturally find and link to. In time, you will get traffic. Or, buy ad spots or try out PPC. Google AdSense can be very profitable if you experiment a bit. Perhaps you could hand out flyers or buy a newspaper ad. If you really want to get crazy you could make some YouTube videos or start a Podcast. There is NO need to pollute forums and blogs etc. with your sites.

Honestly, I've never run into that problem and never heard anyone complain about "too many comments". Why don't you invest in an automatic spam filter instead? Or simply make all comments on your blog "no follow"?

With all due respect even with your troubles it would still be foolish for any marketer to stop building back links via do follow blogs just because a few website owners don't like it. Don't you think?

I'd even go so far as to argue that "polluting forums and blogs" should be in every markets daily to do list.

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota
Honestly, I've never run into that problem and never heard anyone complain about "too many comments". Why don't you invest in an automatic spam filter instead? Or simply make all comments on your blog "no follow"?

With all due respect even with your troubles it would still be foolish for any marketer to stop building back links via do follow blogs just because a few website owners don't like it. Don't you think?

I'd even go so far as to argue that "polluting forums and blogs" should be in every markets daily to do list.

Because a FEW websites don't like it? What planet are you on?

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
I never said to POLLUTE these sites. All I said was that they were dofollow, quality backlinks. If people on this forum visit these sites and leave valuable, quality feedback then what is the problem? To me that seems like a win-win because you are getting a good backlink while contributing to their site.

If I visit a blog and leave a thoughtful comment just so I can get a backlink, that's fine because I left a thoughtful comment. If I was just going to POLLUTE the site like you suggest then I would be wasting my time too, because I know that popular blogs and forums will just delete whatever I leave.

You're letting your negative past experiences ruin your judgement.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.