The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A genuine MASSIVE coronavirus business idea/need.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I don't get why everyone is talking about building a business based on Corona virus..I think it doesnt make sense..why don't you spend your time and energy identifying genuine painful problems that people/businesses are actually facing and offer the solution. Isn't that make more sense?
COVID isn't a painful problem? Last I checked the entire world was panicking over this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
I don't understand why people are buying them. The point of a surgical mask
is to stop surgeons coughing and sneezing their germs into an open wound. Not much use at all in stemming the virus. You need a proper respirator for that. I guess people are too lazy to do the research and just follow the herd as always.
I heard that but I have not done enough research to see let me inquire with my cousin whom works at the hospital as an anesthesiologist. Get back to u.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
is to stop surgeons coughing and sneezing their germs into an open wound. Not much use at all in stemming the virus. You need a proper respirator for that. I guess people are too lazy to do the research and just follow the herd as always.
I heard that but I have not done enough research to see let me inquire with my cousin whom works at the hospital as an anesthesiologist. Get back to u.
This is correct, but I still wear them. Why? They prevent you from touching your mouth/nose, which is where the virus enters (along with the eyes). I honestly think it's a major way this thing is spreading.

Also it's kind of a funny argument. Doctors wear them so they don't get sick, but apparently they only for for doctors.

Again, I honestly think the CDC just doesn't trust Americans to not horde them (a valid concern.)

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I see face masks as a waste of time and effort business wise.

Everybody and their dog knows they are in short supply. So everybody (hopefully excluding the dog) will be selling them as soon as they can get a supply, as people are opportunistic and will no anything for a quick buck. Plus there is zero barrier to entry. I’m sure there are Chinese entrepreneurs setting up face mask factories as we speak to cash in on this.

In no time at all the market will be awash with them, the virus gone and you won’t be able to give them away.

Face masks will become the new fidget spinner.

315137FABB55C-3DE9-4C5B-9327-CE8DBA66D59B.jpeg

DCDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Dec 3, 2016
Washington DC
Perhaps once this virus is controlled people will start taking sanitization much more seriously? I mean people rushed to the stores and bought up soap and sanitizers among other things. Soaps and sanitizers will eventually run out and people will obviously need to buy more so this is not something that is going away after the virus is contained.

While my fastlane route is in real estate I could see starting a company that is a step above a maid service but a step below full-blown biohazard cleanup. The company would clean and disinfects homes after quarantine or prevent such sicknesses.

Maid services are great for cleaning up the home once a home is messy and cleaning up but I can imagine a maid service would actually work to erratic C0VlD-19, MRSA, H1N1...etc.

Maybe I am wrong though? Thoughts?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Perhaps once this virus is controlled people will start taking sanitization much more seriously? I mean people rushed to the stores and bought up soap and sanitizers among other things. Soaps and sanitizers will eventually run out and people will obviously need to buy more so this is not something that is going away after the virus is contained.

While my fastlane route is in real estate I could see starting a company that is a step above a maid service but a step below full-blown biohazard cleanup. The company would clean and disinfects homes after quarantine or prevent such sicknesses.

Maid services are great for cleaning up the home once a home is messy and cleaning up but I can imagine a maid service would actually work to erratic C0VlD-19, MRSA, H1N1...etc.

Maybe I am wrong though? Thoughts?

My thoughts are that people will have many months worth of soap and sanitizer in their homes where they have been hoarding them (hence no/low stocks in store).

I also think people have short memories and will revert back to their normal routines as soon as they can.

Any change of buying habit will likely be short lived.

I could of course be totally wrong but I’m not going to risk a pile of time and money testing that theory.

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA

Ok my cousin who works with surgeons gave me this answer.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
This is correct, but I still wear them. Why? They prevent you from touching your mouth/nose, which is where the virus enters (along with the eyes). I honestly think it's a major way this thing is spreading.

Also it's kind of a funny argument. Doctors wear them so they don't get sick, but apparently they only for for doctors.

Again, I honestly think the CDC just doesn't trust Americans to not horde them (a valid concern.)

read my post #10. The effectiveness of mask protection is related to comprehensive whole body protection. Wearing a mask but nothing else, you will get contaminated everywhere else on your body. Take off the mask, eat, touch your face, you are highly likely to get infected anyway. That’s why they don’t recommend outside of a health care setting. A mask ‘alone’ is not really effective.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Everybody and their dog knows they are in short supply. So everybody (hopefully excluding the dog) will be selling them as soon as they can get a supply, as people are opportunistic and will no anything for a quick buck. Plus there is zero barrier to entry. I’m sure there are Chinese entrepreneurs setting up face mask factories as we speak to cash in on this.

In no time at all the market will be awash with them, the virus gone and you won’t be able to give them away.

We will see, I just ordered some face masks. :)

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
read my post #10. The effectiveness of mask protection is related to comprehensive whole body protection. Wearing a mask but nothing else, you will get contaminated everywhere else on your body. Take off the mask, eat, touch your face, you are highly likely to get infected anyway. That’s why they don’t recommend outside of a health care setting. A mask ‘alone’ is not really effective.
My cousin who works along side Doctors sent me this: N95 Respirators vs Medical Masks for Preventing Laboratory-Confirmed Influenza in Health Care Personnel

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
full text icon
FULL TEXT

contents icon
CONTENTS

figure icon
FIGURES /
TABLES

multimedia icon
MULTIMEDIA

attach icon
SUPPLEMENTAL
CONTENT

references icon
REFERENCES

related icon
RELATED

Download PDF
Top of Article

Visual Abstract.
N95 Respirators vs Medical Masks for Preventing Influenza in Health Care Personnel
N95 Respirators vs Medical Masks for Preventing Influenza in Health Care Personnel
Figure 1.
Study Site Enrollment, Randomization, Follow-up, and Analysis in a Study of the Effect of N95 Respirators vs Medical Masks for Preventing Laboratory-Confirmed Influenza Among Health Care Personnel
Figure 2.
Primary and Secondary Outcomes of Influenza and Respiratory Illnesses and Adjusted Risk Estimates Among Health Care Personnel in the N95 Respirator Group vs the Medical Mask Group
The adjusted relative risks for the N95 respirator and medical mask groups for both the intention-to-treat (ITT) and per-protocol (PP) groups for the primary outcome and the other predetermined secondary outcomes. Values above 1 indicate higher relative odds or risk in the N95 respirator group compared with the medical mask group.
Table 1.
Health Care Personnel (HCP) Demographic Characteristics, Risk Factors, and Site Enrollment in a Study of the Effect of N95 Respirators vs Medical Masks for Preventing Laboratory-Confirmed Influenza
Table 2.
Primary and Secondary Outcomes in a Study of the Effect of N95 Respirators vs Medical Masks for Preventing Laboratory-Confirmed Influenza Among Health Care Personnel

Clinical Review Audio:
Personal Protective Equipment for Health Care Infection Control

Clinical Review Audio:
The 2020 Influenza Epidemic—More Serious Than Coronavirus in the US

Coronavirus Resource Center
See More About
Infection Control Infectious Diseases Influenza Occupational Health

Others Also Liked
  1. FDA Approves New CDC MDx Panel for Seasonal, Pandemic Flu Strains
    GenomeWeb, 2011
  2. HHS to Fund Development of Diagnostics for Health Emergency Threats
    GenomeWeb, 2015
  1. A retrospective cohort study to compare post-injury admissions for infectious diseases in burn patients, non-burn trauma patients and uninjured people
    Janine M. Duke et. al.. Randall, James H. Boyd, Mark W. Fear, Suzanne Rea, Fiona M. Wood, Burns & Trauma, 2018
Powered by

Select Your Interests

This Issue

Views 209,388

Citations 6

Original Investigation
September 3, 2019
N95 Respirators vs Medical Masks for Preventing Influenza Among Health Care PersonnelA Randomized Clinical Trial
Lewis J. Radonovich Jr, MD1; Michael S. Simberkoff, MD2,3; Mary T. Bessesen, MD4,5

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA

Probably a valid reason.

Jesse D

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Apr 10, 2019
New Jersey
Okay, so pretty morbid idea, but I'd imagine some people would consider. With people dying and gatherings of people being barred in most states, what about an online, digital funeral service.

I honestly feel terrible for people who lose a loved one during this time and cannot hold a formal funeral arrangement. It pains me to even think about it and wish it to no one. An awfully, quiet and lonesome way to go. But maybe there can be a solution to this. Anyone seen funeral alternatives during this time?

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Just as an FYI, one of my China suppliers told me that they can supply me masks. I mentioned to this to a few friends who also import and they said that their China suppliers also told them the same thing.

My guess is that China factories made a ton of masks in the last 2 months. And now they are oversupplied over there and the virus is on the decline.

So I expect that the US market will get flooded with masks in about a month. If me and 2 of my friends got mask offers, it means that there are probably thousands of other importers that received the same offers and probably hundreds that placed orders.

Give them a month to make them and a week to airship them. So let's say around end of April, there will be plenty of masks here.
Same here biophase, I got a couple messages this week from chinese suppliers Im working with or have worked with all trying to flog masks. Although 1 offered to send me some for free for personal use which I thought was really thoughtful.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014

Thats not unexpected. A doctor or staff in an office wearing a mask is no different than the general public. They are only wearing a mask and not all the additional protective layers. Once they take off the mask, they are walking around with the contagion all over their body. Wearing a mask and full body PPE is not 100% effective as it is, but any effectiveness is severely impaired wearing a mask alone.

Im not entirely sure how effective N95 is against corona to begin with. They are 0.12 microns. N95 filters to 0.3 microns. The theory is that even though the virus is 1/3 the size of the mask filtration pores, that it’s usually attached to dust or droplets and will therefore get trapped. But i haven’t seen any study if it’s is effective enough to be protective.

BTW hospitals in the Phoenix area and other localities are now collecting masks after shifts and sterilizing them.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
So everybody (hopefully excluding the dog) will be selling them as soon as they can get a supply, as people are opportunistic and will no anything for a quick buck.
Well it's actually illegal now. They're considered a scarce resource so stockpiling them (for the purpose of selling them at very high prices) is going to be a crime. They basically said if you have a bunch at home, there's no need to worry; but if you're holding a warehouse full of them you're gonna get a knock at your door.

Yea I agree with that.

My technique is: mask and gloves, and I also wear a jacket. As soon as I get home, the mask and gloves come off and my clothes go right in the wash; then I take a shower. Pretty much every time I go out now.

But here's the thing... if you watch that video I posted it really illustrates how often we touch our face without even knowing. I like his comment "your nose and mouth are like the weak point on the [Star Wars] Death Star." The virus enters through our nose and mouth, so I find that having my nose and mouth covered when I'm out helps quite a bit. Then when I get home I take them off, wash my hands, put on fresh clothes, etc. There's a specific technique to taking off the mask and gloves so that you don't just touch the outside of the gloves, which is another mistake people make.

Dignium

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Oct 6, 2017
San Jose, CA Bigg Biz Cluster of Software Fastlane
Post C0VlD-19, I can see some people wanting non-toxic, long lasting, anti-microbial surface coatings. Great anti-microbial surface treatments are out there, just poorly marketed.

If this idea of preventing surfaces from getting germy in the first place gets into the market’s heads it’s going to be a great Fastlane for someone.

DCDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Dec 3, 2016
Washington DC
Post C0VlD-19, I can see some people wanting non-toxic, long lasting, anti-microbial surface coatings. Great anti-microbial surface treatments are out there, just poorly marketed.

If this idea of preventing surfaces from getting germy in the first place gets into the market’s heads it’s going to be a great Fastlane for someone.

This is the exact same idea I had, I think this would make sense as I feel this virus is something that will change our daily lives forever. I don't think to the same extent as the Great Depression, but, I do think it will change us all.

Mckenzie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Aug 25, 2013
Are these legit N95 masks?

These photos are from different suppliers. There must be a glut of them in China for so many suppliers to be offering them to everyone.

Hi

I do not sell the mask, just some of my customers need the help, and they can not get the mask from their countries, so i found some factories who sell the mask. And usually the mask MOQ is about 100,000, But i have a friend who open the mask factory. So i can help our customers.

If you need, please kind check the quotation sheet.

Looking forward to your reply.

Dear Kenric,

I can supply you the KN95 Mask with and without breather valve passed CE and FDA. Enclosed pls. find the pictures together with the CE and FDA certificates. If you like I will quote you.

View attachment 31264View attachment 31265View attachment 31266
Just to rub more salts into the opening wound and 'You may as well have toilet paper over your face' instead: several countries have reported faults (and recalled) with Chinese-made masks & medical equipments:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04...medical-supplies-recalled-regulation/12105110

valuecreator

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Apr 16, 2015
Australia
I've been having quite a few discussions with my crew about that.

I think that the long-term effect of this crisis will generate a lot of needs that were not as obvious before.

The long term effect will be a depression leading to a financial reset. It was always going to happen anyways because that's what the bond market has been screaming for years (and central banks warned us last year). They just gonna blame it on a virus. How useful.

So yeah, lots of pain ahead for a lot of folks. People won't be able to retire. People coming out of retirement to go back to work. Many won't be able to get decent healthcare (way more than now). Rise in crime AND loss of freedom.

Couple that with the wave of automation that's coming in the next 10 years and the opportunities are almost endless. All I see is a shortage of clever operators with integrity that can service these problems. But don't get me started on that.

I'll give you an example: Defi. What is happening to that field is just blowing my mind right now. And it's moving extremely fast.

the not so distant future: The government 1st move is to go fully cashless. Then, as planned, they will start banking holidays and do Bail-ins Greek style.

Defi will go ballistic just by the sheer ability to hold synthetic USD$ in the blockchain. I'm not even talking about the other services, like trading derivatives, crowd-based insurance and banking.

While most people will find out that the law has been changed a few years back and that you're are not a depositor at your bank, but a creditor... only those who have moved their paper assets to the blockchain will be whole.

The opportunity is to bridge the asset-rich baby-boomers to a new technology they don't understand.

Last edited:

scott wisniewsk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Aug 23, 2007
wisconsin

View attachment 31513View attachment 31513
I believe you just hit the nail on the head about that no doubt

JByers210

Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
410%
Apr 14, 2017
United States
Okay, so pretty morbid idea, but I'd imagine some people would consider. With people dying and gatherings of people being barred in most states, what about an online, digital funeral service.

I honestly feel terrible for people who lose a loved one during this time and cannot hold a formal funeral arrangement. It pains me to even think about it and wish it to no one. An awfully, quiet and lonesome way to go. But maybe there can be a solution to this. Anyone seen funeral alternatives during this time?
If someone were to do that they would probably go to Facebook Live. I've noticed funerals being recorded live for family and friends on FB the past couple years. Facebook just makes things too easy with everyone already on it.

BUT I don't think a lot would even do that... we just had a death in the family and a little over ten people went to have a small funeral in person. Probably how it would go most of the time.

Jesse D

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Apr 10, 2019
New Jersey
If someone were to do that they would probably go to Facebook Live. I've noticed funerals being recorded live for family and friends on FB the past couple years. Facebook just makes things too easy with everyone already on it.

BUT I don't think a lot would even do that... we just had a death in the family and a little over ten people went to have a small funeral in person. Probably how it would go most of the time.

Sorry for your loss!

You're probably right, FB makes it easy. I also heard people were hosting them over ZOOM recently. Strange times.

James90

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jul 2, 2019
Hawaii
Ok, this just occurred to me...What is one of the biggest needs right now?

N95 masks and other PPE for medical personal.

But are we being creative in how to solve this problem? Why do they need to be disposable in the first place, could we get 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 20 uses out of a single mask?

Can we come up with a device for hospitals that is easy to build and get online quickly.

My initial thoughts

1) UV light?
2) Vaporized ethanol (alcohol sterilization)?
3) Moderate heat

Obviously a combination of several of these.

There are some questions to be answered. First, does it impact he integrity of the mask to sterilize it? do the masks stop being effective in addition to just becoming contaminate?

All important questions, but drastic times comes up for drastic solutions.

Looks like the FDA recently approved a method that uses vaporized hydrogen peroxide that sanitizes masks for up to 20x reusability.

merlin_171405549_b9319d51-b564-460a-94ca-34e0d88ccf4f-superJumbo.jpg

SkyLake

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Nov 29, 2016
Just as an FYI, one of my China suppliers told me that they can supply me masks. I mentioned to this to a few friends who also import and they said that their China suppliers also told them the same thing.

My guess is that China factories made a ton of masks in the last 2 months. And now they are oversupplied over there and the virus is on the decline.

So I expect that the US market will get flooded with masks in about a month. If me and 2 of my friends got mask offers, it means that there are probably thousands of other importers that received the same offers and probably hundreds that placed orders.

Give them a month to make them and a week to airship them. So let's say around end of April, there will be plenty of masks here.

Yep, masks couldn't be found just a month ago, they're everywhere on eBay now, you can even buy 10,000 right away if you want as an average Joe.

Last edited:

SkyLake

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Nov 29, 2016
My technique is: mask and gloves, and I also wear a jacket. As soon as I get home, the mask and gloves come off and my clothes go right in the wash; then I take a shower. Pretty much every time I go out now.

But here's the thing... if you watch that video I posted it really illustrates how often we touch our face without even knowing. I like his comment "your nose and mouth are like the weak point on the [Star Wars] Death Star." The virus enters through our nose and mouth, so I find that having my nose and mouth covered when I'm out helps quite a bit. Then when I get home I take them off, wash my hands, put on fresh clothes, etc. There's a specific technique to taking off the mask and gloves so that you don't just touch the outside of the gloves, which is another mistake people make.

Completely unnecessary. There is no evidence of someone getting infected after not washing themselves if they were outside or from their clothes. The virus needs to enter your body and it needs to be in high enough quantities from the beginning so that your immune system can't handle it.

The most risky way for you to get sick is by being near an infected person who coughs/sneezes/directly breathes near you. There's no need to wash every time you come from outside unless you were in proximity of many people close to each other. Washing hands is plenty.

What I do is: been to a grocery store? Pharmacy? Had some random person very close to me? I put clothes in the washer and shower.

Been outside for a walk/fresh hair? Maintained at least 2-3m (6-10ft) distance from people? No need to do anything other than washing hands once back home. I also make sure to wear a glove on my left hand to open doors, that hand never touches me or my clothes - then use the right hand to use my phone/touch my face/whatever. Come home, throw away the glove and you're done. Don't even need to wash hands.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.