The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Discussion With a 180M Entrepreneur (Part 2)

Anything related to matters of the mind

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
365%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
There are some people walking around who you'd have no idea are ultra-successful entrepreneurs.

Just a few days ago I was at a gym talking to somebody and later found out he is a billionaire who owns 100% of multiple manhattan skyscrapers.

Just looked like a normal guy, working out at the same gym as me.

He's not who this post is about, but it's pretty cool.

This is about an entrepreneur who is very generous to satiate my curiosity on how he came to realize his success, for a second time.

If you haven't read part 1, click here.

-

I came into this next conversation to ask him about the applications of web3 to the clunky world of real estate

At some point in the conversation, I started realizing that asking other entrepreneurs who have nothing to do with your industry, for suggestions about your industry, is not really helpful. You really do just need to figure it out yourself through trial and error.

Here's the secret about asking for advice from someone else about your particular business:

They really have no idea what's going to work for you, man. Gotta suck it up and try stuff.

He knew this and was trying to steer away from it, so it turned into something much deeper, more helpful and interesting..

-

Without further ado, here's 6 incredibly helpful takeaways I had that we can all use and apply in our lives:

1. Your Vision Doesn't Need To Be Big, It Just Needs To Be Clear

Are you a big thinker? Me too.
Does it cause you an insane amount of anxiety to think about your huge vision? Me too.

But stop trying to make your vision so large, and just make it clear.

You might propose some theoretical grand vision as a young entrepreneur, but how can you even attempt to make a grand vision (e.g changing some aspect of an industry) when you don't even know how the industry really works?

How about you make a vision for now, based on what you know right now?

It might feel like this is "thinking small" to some of us big thinkers.

But it's not. Who's to say that when we are more of an expert at what we're trying to accomplish, and we've achieved our other goal, we can't set a higher vision that gets us to a goal of the size we originally had in mind?

Why are we so rushed to create this grand vision? And expect that everything will align with it? Chances are, it won't. You're going to find out that the grand vision you had for that industry is actually not even something that the industry needs, because of a specific way that it works which you had no idea about..!

2. It's 75% Luck. It Happened By Accident

I asked him..

Why do some people like you build massive $180M companies and other people build $2 million companies?

He said..

"It's 75% luck. It happened by accident. That doesn't mean I didn't work hard, or I'm not smart. I am, but opportunities showing up are outside of your control. Sometimes those serendipitous opportunities can have extremely asymmetric payoffs. You just need to be able to see them. But don't beat yourself up wondering why someone's company is bigger than another. Chances are, they just had access to an opportunity (or 10) and took advantage when it showed."

3. Don't Strive To Be Different. Strive To Be The Expert.

I told him that being different trips me up and makes me feel like I'm competing with hundreds of thousands of people.

He said...

"Listen, first of all, there are so many fish in the pond. If you take 1/100's, you're big. Second of all, I used to run a small company selling insurance. One day I saw an opportunity that no one was doing - insurance for uber! That differentiating factor worked so well at the beginning and I was selling a lot. But then, another guy came and and said "Hey what's Henry doing?", and copied my exact idea and marketing, and started making money off of it. You're not going to find some kind of secret thing that fends off competitors forever."

Read what he said next VERY closely, as it's very important:

"But ultimately, I destroyed him and others in that market, because I was the expert. I knew more about it than all of them, therefore I prospered both in marketing and in service. You don't need to be different, you just need to be BETTER. And again that doesn't mean that someone can't be just as good as you. They can be, and they can have the same amount of success as you do. Or maybe you will serendipitously come upon an opportunity that shoots you to the moon even though that person is just as good as you are."

4. You Need To Rest, And You Don't Need To Work As Hard As You Think.

"It's actually not about how hard you work. It's more about aligning yourself every day and doing the RIGHT things, which is ironically about just survival. Not doing the wrong things. Not being stupid. Stop looking for the right things to do actually, and just stop doing the wrong things."

"Our brains have a front burner and a back-burner. If you're constantly keeping everything in your front burner (conscious mind), you're going to burn out. Leisure time actually allows your back-burner (sub-conscious mind) to (sub-consciously) take in the information from your conscious mind and solidify it in your brain. So take rest seriously. Go to the gym, go on a hike, hang with friends.."

5. Stop Reading Self-Help. Read Real, Technical Books.

I told him that in between real estate deals, I have a lot of free time and sometimes I don't know what to do.

He said:

"Read, dude!"

I said

"And I would assume you're not talking about self-help"

He responded

"Self help is garbage. How many times can people say the same thing in different ways? I'm talking about technical stuff. Stuff that's industry-deep. Textbooks. For example you're in real estate. Are you an expert on GP/LP? Loans? Selling properties? Acquiring properties? Due diligence on commercial properties?"

"No.. Not nearly an expert."

"Well spend your free time learning all you can about those things. If you do it that way, it's kind of like doing something painful right now (like the gym) for a benefit in the future. In this case, the knowledge you acquire about an industry now will serve you huge in 5 years."

"This is HOW you get to do what I did in my insurance company. I knew more than most, therefore could serve better than most"

6. You're Not Always Going To Know What's Right To Do, So Guess.

I asked him "So what do you mean by doing the right thing? Did you just guess what to do every day?"

"Yes, kind of..."

It's probably better for us to ACCEPT and APPRECIATE the fact that whatever we choose to work on, we are saying no to something else. We CAN'T say yes to everything, it's fundamentally impossible. So it's probably best to just choose the best thing you can think of, and make a deliberate choice to say NO to everything else that could also be a good thing to spend time on.

-

Hope this was helpful :D

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 26, 2023
.. yes deleted ..

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
331%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
"Self help is garbage. How many times can people say the same thing in different ways? I'm talking about technical stuff. Stuff that's industry-deep. Textbooks. For example you're in real estate. Are you an expert on GP/LP? Loans? Selling properties? Acquiring properties? Due diligence on commercial properties?"

"No.. Not nearly an expert."

"Well spend your free time learning all you can about those things. If you do it that way, it's kind of like doing something painful right now (like the gym) for a benefit in the future. In this case, the knowledge you acquire about an industry now will serve you huge in 5 years."
I don’t have a position on this personally, but I’d say it depends a lot on who you ask.

Guys like Grant Cardone, Jordan Belfort or Andy Elliott, all multi millionaires, would never tell you to read technical books and would preach for self-help over technical books.

Whereas I’d say someone like Elon Musk would preach the exact opposite.

I think what helps you largely has to do with your personality.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 26, 2023

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I wonder how did he get the initial capital to start an insurance company which has a capital requirement of. tens of millions, if not more these days.

Last edited:

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
365%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I wonder how did he get the initial capital to start an insurance company which has a capital requirement if tens of millions, if not more these days.
I think it actually was not his company. He was just selling insurance

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
571%
Apr 17, 2022
The more I look into the minds of "successful people", the more I realize that we're pretty much the same human beings sharing a very similar life experience.

There are no secrets that "the wealthy don't want you to know".

Everything is in plain sight - and it was that way from day 1, you've just chosen to pretend you don't see it:
  • Do the things that you know perfectly well you need to do.
  • Avoid doing the stupid things that you know you should not do.

That's it.

Listen to your own conscience. You already know what the next step is. You already know the things that you can start or stop doing today.

Imagine 2 identical ships sailing in the exact same direction.

One of them steers only 1 degree to the left. At first, they will keep sailing on the same path. But after 3 months they are in different F*cking hemispheres.

The same thing happens with life.

An entrepreneur who is 100 times more successful than you is not 100 times smarter and does not work 100 times harder.

The only difference is that he or she had a 30% better mindset, wisdom, discipline, and 30% better execution on the daily tasks that you deem trivial and unimportant.

That 30% bonus applied daily over the course of 10 years will result in unbelievable differences in outcome.

#math #nerds #exponentialgrowth # @Jon822

awacato

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 1, 2024
I don’t have a position on this personally, but I’d say it depends a lot on who you ask.

Guys like Grant Cardone, Jordan Belfort or Andy Elliott, all multi millionaires, would never tell you to read technical books and would preach for self-help over technical books.

I agree. Some people are just naturally more driven and ambitious. Some people were just born to be curious and action driven, and others not so much. Business is just as much a mental game as it the technical. People who need help to get themselves on their feet, should seek that help. Then after that happens, all the technical stuff becomes a lot easier

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Jordan did say if you need to sell anything you need to become an expert in the field. Because people trust experts.

He does have a good sales structure even though it is somewhat old school.

Grant and Andy’s sale demonstration are like those instant healing churches where crippled people start walking. I would laugh and avoid.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.