The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Dire Need for Resources

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
I've been writing like a madman these past couple of weeks, and I will soon post more information about my writing progress in my progress thread. But this is a different topic entirely. I've realized as I've come close to the finishing of my novel that I am lacking many resources and assets that I can use to perfect and publish my book. For instance:

1. I have no professional editor
  2. I have not decided where is the best place to publish
  3. I have not found an artist that can work on my cover page
These three elements are very important in making a successful book, but because of my age (There are no 18 year old's that want to do either of those three) it is very difficult for me to find a service that can assist me in those three areas that I have not the expertise to make the decision as of yet. It is a learning process for me and until I begin consistently publishing, I need advice on where to start and on who to go to for the editing and cover pages.

Any ideas? I've been looking at editing websites and freelance websites, but my inexperience makes the pricing a mystery, and I honestly don't know whats good for the money and what is overpriced. any suggestions or advice will definitely help me!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I have no professional editor
I have not decided where is the best place to publish
I have not found an artist that can work on my cover page

Hey Greyson -
  1. I have two editors that I can recommend, depending on the length of your story. What is the genre and how many words are you looking at having when completed?
  2. If it's fiction, then Amazon would be your best bet, hands down.
  3. Cover page... you mean book cover?

Joozed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Oct 29, 2013
I have no professional editor

-Post the editing job on Elance a few times. Find the best editor based on proposal, feedback and price

I have not decided where is the best place to publish

-Sell it on absolutely every type of platform you can. Look at a company like bookBaby to even begin to realize your options. There are lots of companies that do this (lots of place you can put and sell for free as well i.e. bookrix, scribid, docs etc.).

I have not found an artist that can work on my cover page

-Fiverr, Elance or 99designs are good places to start.

Best of luck and let us know when you publish! Releasing a new book is exciting. Whats the novel about?

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Google 'pre-made covers', or go to the progress thread of our own @Rainy_TX (who is apparently too modest to toot her own horn-her avatar is one of her own covers as I write this) and find the link for her premade covers. @joanna does developmental editing.

Ebooks are the way to go, although you can also explore the resources in the previous post as well. @AroundTheWorld just started several threads based on topics that are important to self-publishing, you'll find some resources and good advice beginning to populate those threads. Progress threads of @Held for Ransom, @ChickenHawk, @Thriftypreneur , @Hicks and @GiroudJD are excellent sources of knowledge. You'll find a wealth of resources right here, just look for them.

I don't quite understand your reference to your age being a barrier to finding the resources. Are you saying you're only 18? If so, would you only take advice from other 18 year-olds? That's what it seemed you were saying.

If the former, congratulations! Not many 18-year-olds have the focus to finish a novel. However, my husband just read a massive fantasy novel written by a 17-year-old that he pronounced awesome. So, by all means, get your work out into the world. If the latter, I'd think you'd want to listen to the advice of people who have more experience than an 18-year-old is likely to have.

In any case, welcome to the group, and let us know of your progress.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
I have two editors that I can recommend, depending on the length of your story. What is the genre and how many words are you looking at having when completed?
If it's fiction, then Amazon would be your best bet, hands down.
Cover page... you mean book cover?

My story length is going to clock out between 80,000 and 95,000 words!

And yes I'm looking for someone who can create a good book cover, or at least interpret my ideas onto paper.

Google 'pre-made covers', or go to the progress thread of our own @Rainy_TX (who is apparently too modest to toot her own horn-her avatar is one of her own covers as I write this) and find the link for her premade covers. @joanna does developmental editing.
Ebooks are the way to go, although you can also explore the resources in the previous post as well. @AroundTheWorld just started several threads based on topics that are important to self-publishing, you'll find some resources and good advice beginning to populate those threads. Progress threads of @Held for Ransom, @ChickenHawk, @Thriftypreneur , @Hicks and @GiroudJD are excellent sources of knowledge. You'll find a wealth of resources right here, just look for them.
I don't quite understand your reference to your age being a barrier to finding the resources. Are you saying you're only 18? If so, would you only take advice from other 18 year-olds? That's what it seemed you were saying.
If the former, congratulations! Not many 18-year-olds have the focus to finish a novel. However, my husband just read a massive fantasy novel written by a 17-year-old that he pronounced awesome. So, by all means, get your work out into the world. If the latter, I'd think you'd want to listen to the advice of people who have more experience than an 18-year-old is likely to have.
In any case, welcome to the group, and let us know of your progress.

This was a lot of help! I've definitely been using this forum as a resource but haven't been able to find where a good place or person to go to for help. And I meant I am 18, so my connections and networks as an author are very not.

I'll definitely keep everyone updated, I'm nearing the end of my novel completion, with 60,000 words being the word count as of today!

I HAVE heard quite a bit about this Elance... I may just go check it out ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.