The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Decision to be Made

Vito D

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 22, 2018
Hello everyone!

My name is Vito and I am 22 years old, I live with my parents, I have my associates degree and I’m in absolutely 0 debt with school, I have a car payment and have to pay for my own food and gas and stuff like that, a lot of things are taken care of by parents but they are not wealthy by any means. I am an aspiring entrepreneur and believe my future entails me working for myself and creating the money tree that would change the course of life for my family and I. With that being said I do still need a job in the meantime. Ive been working as a salesman at an Apple Store part time since I was 18 and now I’m ready to take on full time so I can start putting money aside, giving me the capital and opportunity to invest in the future. I have this new opportunity to go full time at a IT company that is based on cyber security. Full time job with benefits AND the potential for uncapped commission, something Apple does not have. So here’s the question...Do I go full time at Apple make 40k a year and do the job ive been doing for 4 years without any new hesitation OR do I take on a new challenge and make 40k a year plus “average” 30k commission at this new IT company? Which one would allow me to work on my side hustle more effectively? The hours at Apple are 9-6 and require me to work weekends. The hours at the IT company are 8-5 Monday through Fridays weekends off. If anyone has an opinion on this I would greatly appreciate the feedback!

Thanks again, Vito

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Benito Alvarez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jul 14, 2018
Marbella, Spain
More commission and less hours certainly makes a tempting offer however temptation might be exact thing you want to avoid. Commissions are incentives, they are incentivizing you to pour everything into making sales. You’ll most likely be surrounded by people competing to see who can make the company most money, bragging about commissions.

The question is, in that environment will you choose to focus on your own project? Go against peer pressure? Comparisons from your manager?

Ultimately you know best the details of your dilemma so I’m just throwing some questions out there.

On a side note great to see you starting at 22!

Vito D

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 22, 2018
More commission and less hours certainly makes a tempting offer however temptation might be exact thing you want to avoid. Commissions are incentives, they are incentivizing you to pour everything into making sales. You’ll most likely be surrounded by people competing to see who can make the company most money, bragging about commissions.

The question is, in that environment will you choose to focus on your own project? Go against peer pressure? Comparisons from your manager?

Ultimately you know best the details of your dilemma so I’m just throwing some questions out there.

On a side note great to see you starting at 22!
Thank you for the Feedback! You’re right a commission environment would put a lot more pressure on me. At the same time getting more experience in another company, especially IT, is always a good thing. There’s so many variables I have to look at before I make this decision. Thanks again

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
What a great start at a young age! Nice work to even have this choice to make at 22.

I recommend you take the commission job with the cyber-security company.

I think you could easily return to Apple if you want. You could tell the manager at the time, "I worked here four years, I left to try something else, didn't like it as much as here, and I'd really like to return when you have an opening." As long as you leave politely with a couple of weeks notice, I think you don't have to feel like a door is slammed shut behind you.

The new company would let you learn about new technology, possibly not just limited to Apple products. The commissions could nearly double your pay. You can count on weekends off for your own thing. You'll discover new sales skills, or else you'll discover you don't like a more pressured sales environment. You'll get to discover if you'd like to specialize in security. You'll get to discover if you miss specializing in Apple products. As you learn these things, you'll get paid well and benefits, too.

I don't really see any downside to the new job.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...