The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

90 Minute Deep Work Sessions [Productivity Hack]

Anything related to matters of the mind

SeeYouAtTheTop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jul 12, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Thought this would be helpful for people who have trouble getting work done. It's been useful for me so thought I would pass it along.

Concept:

Block your work session into 90-minute blocks. From my personal experience, and reading about deep work, this seems to be the limit a person has for working on a task.

Execution:

The question becomes, how do block your time effectively?

The way I've been doing it is by using 2 critical apps:
1. Using a timer to actually time out your work session (I use e.gg Timer - a simple countdown timer)
2. Cold Turkey blocker

Timer - this is straight forward, it provides you with a countdown timer. Anything like it will do.

Cold Turkey - this is the key to success. Use this app to block all the noise. You can schedule blocks if you're very disciplined with your day, or you can just turn the block on, but either way this will actually limit websites from loading on your browser.

Doing a session and have the urge to look at Facebook?

Can't, blocked by Cold Turkey.

Finding yourself ghost typing in zerohedge while writing?

Nope, not anymore.

Implementing this "productivity hack" has helped immensly with just getting the work done.

Hopefully this helps.

For the sake of credit, I got this idea from the Ikario team, but I thought it would be useful for this community too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dominicmarcu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Mar 11, 2023
England
Thought this would be helpful for people who have trouble getting work done. It's been useful for me so thought I would pass it along.

Concept:

Block your work session into 90-minute blocks. From my personal experience, and reading about deep work, this seems to be the limit a person has for working on a task.

Execution:

The question becomes, how do block your time effectively?

The way I've been doing it is by using 2 critical apps:
1. Using a timer to actually time out your work session (I use e.gg Timer - a simple countdown timer)
2. Cold Turkey blocker

Timer - this is straight forward, it provides you with a countdown timer. Anything like it will do.

Cold Turkey - this is the key to success. Use this app to block all the noise. You can schedule blocks if you're very disciplined with your day, or you can just turn the block on, but either way this will actually limit websites from loading on your browser.

Doing a session and have the urge to look at Facebook?

Can't, blocked by Cold Turkey.

Finding yourself ghost typing in zerohedge while writing?

Nope, not anymore.

Implementing this "productivity hack" has helped immensly with just getting the work done.

Hopefully this helps.

For the sake of credit, I got this idea from the Ikario team, but I thought it would be useful for this community too.
Thank you for this! I will use this info!

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
Cold Turkey.
I've heard of this app before, but what's stopping me from going into the settings and unblocking the website to use it? In fact addiction science specifically says the chase of the drug is a potent dopamine rush in itself, so putting roadblocks in front of what we are trying to use actually makes us more motivated to use it, so assuming its an addicting website we are blocking thats unproductive, how does cold turkey prevent us efficiently from accessing it? does it have an iron clad, impossible to get past setting once you commit to lets say, 'block for 1 hr.' etc ?

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
I've heard of this app before, but what's stopping me from going into the settings and unblocking the website to use it? In fact addiction science specifically says the chase of the drug is a potent dopamine rush in itself, so putting roadblocks in front of what we are trying to use actually makes us more motivated to use it, so assuming its an addicting website we are blocking thats unproductive, how does cold turkey prevent us efficiently from accessing it? does it have an iron clad, impossible to get past setting once you commit to lets say, 'block for 1 hr.' etc ?
Nothing. This kind of blocker works great if you're accidentally wasting time by getting distracted, mind wandering, that sort of thing. If you're deliberately trying to go to Facebook, the blocker was never enough to stop you.

Related: I feel like I read somewhere that George RR Martin writes on an old school IBM PC running DOS and like WordStar or WordPerfect or something, to prevent himself from getting distracted. Clearly that's not working out for him.

SeeYouAtTheTop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jul 12, 2017
Fort Lauderdale

Personally, I have it set up to block news and social networks during my work hours which is damn near impossible to break. I haven't been able to stop a scheduled block, but I also don't have a ton of browser programming experience.

I enjoy it because I don't get caught in the task-switching loop that sucks up time.

The point is to keep your environment as clean as possible to get into a deep work state, which includes limiting distractions.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I also like the pause app, it doesn't block, instead a calming green screen comes up with the word "pause". It then gives you 10 seconds to reevaluate your decision.

It's good because a lot of the time we engage in mindless clicking and pause brings your attention back to where it should be.

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
Great method! I am also working by following these rules, but I split my schedule into 50 minutes of deep focus and 10 minutes of rest. I use the Tree app, maybe you have heard about it. There, I turn on the deep focus mode, and I can't enter social media, etc.

For my employees, I use this tool for tracking staff performance. It sends me an automated report with how much time they spend on tasks, converting it into a productivity coefficient. This info helps me to reorganize my workflow process when needed.

NathanN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jul 27, 2022
Vancouver, B.C.
Just came across this thread now. Such great info thanks. Social media and mindless scrolling can always be a killer for me throughout the day so the cold turkey is something im going to implement to my phone for sure.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I use the Freedom app and it works brilliantly! And BrainFM for Focus Music to get into the Flow state! :peace:

michaelasg

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 30, 2023
what I do when I have crazy times and really need to deliver fast something in a very short period of time

45 minutes work followed by 15 minutes power nap. feed time every 6-8 cycles. I can do this pretty much indefinitely. The longest time I followed this type of approach was when I decided to change a schedule for a project that had to be done either in 3 days or at "the end of summer". I decided to pick the short one and have a worry free summer away of anything.

It worked, sounds insane thou...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.