The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

9 months since I launched my clothing brand and so far sold $250,000!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Hey everyone,

As I promised earlier today, I am going to write up my progress or Journey report of the Urban wear brand that I launched earlier last year.

So, it started off horribly, we funded and produced huge inventory (oh, just so you didn't know, we own factories in Asia, also me and my dad can design stuff too), I am talking about 10 containers of products, that' about $1.2 million dollar worth of items. The reason behind that was, we had a partner in USA, it turned out he was just a con man and lied to us. The people or clients that he brought were all just his friends or people who were not even in fashion!!

We were new in US at that time, so believed everything that he said blindly, and then things started to sink in when he literally sold nothing for 2 months!! I still can't believe how that is possible, but he managed to do it.

Any way, I moved to USA, knew no one and didn't even know which department store or boutiques to approach, I was fresh off the boat. But I knew how to use Uncle Google :D So started to looking for leads, first started to look for wholesalers, as we had so much inventory we needed to sell in volumes.

Also, because he didn't sell anything that dried our cash flow. It was so bad, our electric company was about to shut off our electric!! :eek:

So I needed money urgently just to stay alive. I started to sell things at loss price. It was hard, really killing me selling things at such a loss, but I had no options, the fact that we are paying the bills and staying alive, that was the only gratification I was getting.

Then we had another major problem, he was meant to sell and pay the customs charge to discharge the 4-5 containers which were coming, obviously nothing was sold and there was no money to pay, those containers were sitting in the port for 2-3 months!! In the end we had to pay $60,000 penalty!!! Yeah had to sell one of my car in UK to get the fund for the penalty, office rent, employees salarty etc, it was probably one of the saddest moment of my life, I had to sell that Bentley off. Yeah the Bentley that you see in my avatar, that WAS mine as I sold it off now.

I was really going through hard time emotionally. Despression, anxiety, panic attack everything was coming at the same time, you can see why, no money, no sales, selling off loved posessions just to stay alive, it was getting just too much.

But, I always knew I just have to weather the storm now. Sunny days are ahead. You see those Never give up videos, well I was watching them a lot, can't give up now, not after all these hard work, sacrifice and tears.

Any way, back to the sales part, most of the wholesalers were trying to low ball, I mean some of them were offering $1 to buy off 20-30,000 units!! I mean $1 f..king dollar?? Bloody Starbucks coffee costs more than that. But hey, they had the cash to pay and they will say any number they feel like.

So I had to stop looking for wholesalers online. Luckily I knew a guy in NY, he was director of a major clothing brand, the only problem is, he is simply crazy, if any one can put up with him then that person definitely have a lot of patience. I had no choice, I had to put up with a certified mental patient, he was forgetting things every hour, I had to keep sending him the same email 7 times a day, he doesn't know how to open up a PDF file so I had to take screen shot of all the 50 pages and message him on whatsapp!! Oh yeah, I did them alright. Because, he knew people and people trusts him.

Thats one of the biggest lesson I learned in USA, this big corporations, they don't give newbies a chance, its very very hard to break in as a newbie in USA. You need to go via some one who knows, people simply don't trust any one. That's why I was having trouble reaching the ideal wholesalers or companies who can pay be at least break even price.

Any way, I had to pay him in advance, he did introduce me various people, they were offering better price than those other low ballers, so we sold fair amount of units around end of last year, I think just in December we did about $100,000 sales.

Oh, in the mean time, that useless partner of ours sued us, apparently we were not consulting with him and making business decisions without him!! Yeah, he had the nerve to do that, it did dent us a bit as we had court injunction, so we couldn't sell goods for a month and half during christmas time, the busiest time of the year!!! It was really hard to take, we were just about to stand on our own feet and he had to kick us hard. Any way, we won the case in the court, so we got rid of him from the company, me and my manager was running the show from that time onwards.

Then we went to a small trade show in Atlanta, we found some sales people from there and also sold our items to some boutiques, those sales reps didn't perform much in the end, so kept looking for new sales reps, doing job advert, asking the stores about the reps that they know etc. I am still actively working on getting the right sales rep, but its really hard to find the right sales reps to represent your line.

I was visiting some stores around where I am in Philly and managed to get some sales. Now I am planning to hit all the Urban wear boutiques in NY, as thats where there are 100's of stores who can represent our line.

Earlier this year, we went to the trade show again, but this time the organisers really messed it up, they put us with discounted or off price items, we should have been with other urban wear brand, so that really effected our sales in that show, we literally got only one sales!! Yeah only one sales, but it was from a major Urban wear chain stores, so that was a lucky break.

Now, I am doing networking really hard and trying to find people who are representing similar lines as us or who worked for top brands like True religion, Affliction. Its hard to find them and when you find them you need bowl them over, as they are used to work with top players, so if you are not a top player or doesn't have the potential to be top player then they will not want any thing from you.

I have an commerce website that I built on shopify, honestly speaking, been so busy with everything else, I couldn't do any marketing whatsoever. So get 1-2 sales a month from it, which is really nothing, So I am looking to get some one or partner up with some one who is good at online marketing, so that we can grow the online sales, this will be really a game changer as I will be getting the maximum price for our goods, and I got 16,000 sqr feet full of products, thats over $5million worth of products at retail value!! If any one in here is in online marketing and wants to work together then let me know, will see how we can do something, as the potential is there.

In order to grow this brand and make it even bigger, I will need some major funds, mainly for marketing, trade shows etc. So I am actually creating a sales pitch for investors, as we have tractions, our sales are improving, but if we had funds then we could definitely boost up the sales even more. :greedy:

I will be on the road a lot in up coming months, doing door to door sales in those boutiques, at the same time working rigorously to get appointments with buyers from the chain stores, don't get much email from them as they probably get 1000/s of emails a day, but I won't stop trying. Also approaching more sales reps that I can find online, multi line show rooms etc so that they can carry our line.

Looking back at it, if last year I knew all the people that I know in fashion now, we would have been in such an amazing place right now, we could have easily done $1 Million in sales. But there is no point speculating about what if, but etc. It is what it is. Life doesn't always gives you everything straight away, you have to fight and grind for it, thats what I had to do and still doing. Whatever doesn't kills you makes you stronger. And I am certainly much stronger that what I was last year.

In fact I am already thinking about opening a new brand which will offer goods at cheap price, as now I know the buyers of lot of discounted stores, know the sales reps of those discounted products etc. But I am concentrating fully on expanding my brand. Trying new ideas, new paths, new channels. One of them will hit the Bulls eye, so the Journey continues. :hurray:

Thanks for reading. :tiphat:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Wow.

You have been through some serious shit. I get anxious when one box is delayed in customs a couple of days, and I cannot even fathom having multiple containers tied up for months.

I love the grind, hustle, and action-taking. You will be successful, just keep at it. Don't give up.

There are lots of expert ecommerce marketers here, hopefully someone is willing to step up and help you out.

This thread is a breath of fresh air to the majority of mediocre progress threads started here

Salvador8907

1 AU
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 15, 2016
1 AU
Also, because he didn't sell anything that dried our cash flow. It was so bad, our electric company was about to shut off our electric!! :eek:

So I needed money urgently just to stay alive. I started to sell things at loss price.
/QUOTE]

That's a great story! Really motivated me!
I'd love to follow your progress.

And wow, that quote ^
You learned to swim by being thrown in the water! I hope to do the same!

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
I love the positivity regardless of your shortcomings and struggles. It seems that you have broken through a lot of hurdles that many will quit at the thought of going through. Impressive story. Keep it up, I'm sure you'll do big things soon!

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015
Had to sell the Bentley? Have $5 million in unsold inventory? Own factories in Asia? Yet have no money and need USA contacts? Just seems really odd ball.

Are you a lottery winner? Did you get a big inheritence? Just seems someone who could build the wealth necessary to purchase a Bently and who owns factories would not be having these problems with inventory and con whole salers and asking strangers on the internet to be partners.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015
Instead of creating a sales pitch to investors, how about creating one for customers?

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Wow.

You have been through some serious shit. I get anxious when one box is delayed in customs a couple of days, and I cannot even fathom having multiple containers tied up for months.

I love the grind, hustle, and action-taking. You will be successful, just keep at it. Don't give up.

There are lots of expert ecommerce marketers here, hopefully someone is willing to step up and help you out.

This thread is a breath of fresh air to the majority of mediocre progress threads started here

Yeah, its no fun when customs clearance is not smooth.

One major TIP for every one who is here, if you are bringing containers then go for big boys of customs clearance like Fedex, UPS etc, DO NOT USE SMALLER CUSTOMS CLEARANCE people. I made that mistake for first 8 containers and they were simply HORRIBLE. Go with the big boys, they are good, professional, they knows all the laws and regulation and everything will be really easy.

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA

@Salvador8907
Honestly, if I were to do it everything back again, I will learn to swim first before jumping in the water. Its horrible trying to learn swimming when you are in the water and drowning. Its things like these that's make people to go on drugs and other addiction.

I started to drink for the first time in my life, I stopped after couple of weeks, I am a health and fitness freak, so by my standard that was really bad, but I had to do it to forget about all the pressure and stress.

So learn to swim first, it will make your life so much easy. I couldn't do it because we have been lied to and I had to step in to save the day. I hope none of you have to go through the same phrase as me.

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Had to sell the Bentley? Have $5 million in unsold inventory? Own factories in Asia? Yet have no money and need USA contacts? Just seems really odd ball.

Are you a lottery winner? Did you get a big inheritence? Just seems someone who could build the wealth necessary to purchase a Bently and who owns factories would not be having these problems with inventory and con whole salers and asking strangers on the internet to be partners.

Well its pretty simple.

I invested my money in a venture which I thought would give me good return, it turns out the partner that I chose is just a bad partner, now all my moneys are stuck in a new country and I am doing the things that my partner was to do. Why will it be odd ball?

No I am not lottery winner, I have various businesses, I will also inherit, but all my moneys are from the business and investments in properties.

You are forgetting, I am not from USA, tried to open a brand here, just because I have factories in Asia doesn't means I will know the US market, thats why you get distributors or partners in foreign countries, and in my case partner turned out to be a BAD one.

As for asking people in here to do marketing or doing joint venture, why not, I have met some really nice people from here, with some I am very good friends with, there are lot of talented and nice people in the forum, so I am just getting the word out, may be I will find may be I wont, but as they say, if you don't ask then you don't get.

Instead of creating a sales pitch to investors, how about creating one for customers?

What sales pitch for customer? I need traffic in the site first then conversion, and haven't had time for doing online marketing, so looking to take online marketing people or may be do JV with some who does online marketing.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
good luck OP, im interested as I buy those types of clothes. shall we expect to see you on karmaloop someday? :D

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
good luck OP, im interested as I buy those types of clothes. shall we expect to see you on karmaloop someday? :D

Ok, I sent you message about my brand, since you are from here I will give you 25% discount on whatever you want to purchase. You know, Karma, giving something positive out, hopefully positive things will happen to me as well.

As for SOMEDAY, ha, for me some day was yesterday and I am already late. Didn't hear about Karmaloop, just heard it now from you, already searched for the buyers of Karmaloop in Linkedin and added them, once they accept my invitation then I am messaging them about my brand. On top I will message them via their sites.

Mind you, its a hit and miss when you try to email the buyer of store groups, 90% no reply. That's why its really good to meet them in person, if I can meet some one face to face then there is a good 80% chance that I will close or do some deals.

Any way, thanks for that hint, never heard of them before today, checked them out and they sell embellish jeans and ours are similar to that, so they are definitely a HOT prospect.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Ok, I sent you message about my brand, since you are from here I will give you 25% discount on whatever you want to purchase. You know, Karma, giving something positive out, hopefully positive things will happen to me as well.

As for SOMEDAY, ha, for me some day was yesterday and I am already late. Didn't hear about Karmaloop, just heard it now from you, already searched for the buyers of Karmaloop in Linkedin and added them, once they accept my invitation then I am messaging them about my brand. On top I will message them via their sites.

Mind you, its a hit and miss when you try to email the buyer of store groups, 90% no reply. That's why its really good to meet them in person, if I can meet some one face to face then there is a good 80% chance that I will close or do some deals.

Any way, thanks for that hint, never heard of them before today, checked them out and they sell embellish jeans and ours are similar to that, so they are definitely a HOT prospect.

Karmaloop has a subsection that you can apply to: Kazbah -- http://www.karmaloop.com/cm/kazbah-brand-submission.

You won't get onto Karmaloop without being established first. Kazbah is where you start. Then work your way onto Karmaloop.

And MAGIC is the tradeshow that you want to go to: http://www.magiconline.com/. Get a good display. Get some good sales people. Get some cute girls. Get your best products.

Feel free to message me with a link to your brand. I'll take a look and see if there's a good fit that I can think of.

Also, out of curiosity, what country in Asia? China, Indonesia, India, other ... ?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Another note: The typical business model in this space involves opening a boutique in New York, LA, or other large market. Then stocking other people's inventory on top of your flagship brand. In exchange, it's a lot easier to network and have your inventory in other people's stores.

Is this an option that you've considered? Opening a store on Fairfax in LA?

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014

karmaloop is the main fashion page I believe, but other sites are linked on their website in the banners and whatnot.

thanks for the info on the brand i will check it out :)

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Karmaloop has a subsection that you can apply to: Kazbah -- http://www.karmaloop.com/cm/kazbah-brand-submission.

You won't get onto Karmaloop without being established first. Kazbah is where you start. Then work your way onto Karmaloop.

And MAGIC is the tradeshow that you want to go to: http://www.magiconline.com/. Get a good display. Get some good sales people. Get some cute girls. Get your best products.

Feel free to message me with a link to your brand. I'll take a look and see if there's a good fit that I can think of.

Also, out of curiosity, what country in Asia? China, Indonesia, India, other ... ?

That Kazbah looks interesting, I am definitely doing it.

Oh yeah, I know about Magic, I will attend the August one, keeping the budget for it as it's going to cost at least 10-12K including travelling, accommodation, booths etc. But I guess it will give a big dividend.

I am sending you the PM now with my details.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Along with karmaloop, you should see what you can do to be featured on hypebeast. Major traffic goes through there for your target demographic.

"
For PRESS AND EDITORIAL, please contact
info@hypebeast.com.

For ADVERTISING, please contact
advertise@hypebeast.com.

"

Brian C.

Rolling Thunder
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
339%
Apr 13, 2016
Massachusetts, USA
@lovecharm
I work a bit in this field and would like to share some of my opinions. I think you are on to something, and it is only a matter of time before you breakthrough. You may think you should have swam before jumping, but I think jumping provided the quickest way to learn how to swim.

Logistics
- You are right to go with the big logistics companies. My father is an executive at a major player, and their rates me a bit more expensive, but you absolutely get what you pay for.

Karmaloop
- Karmaloop is interesting. The founder, Greg Selkoe, is a great guy, but I do not believe he is associated with the company any more. Last time I checked, although I could be wrong, he was in the process of creating new ventures. The site is fast fashion and is a perfect fit for some brands, and not for others. Can be great if that's what you are going for.

Marketing & Sales
- There are millions of ways to market your product on sales platforms. This may be a bit basic, but have you considered opening your own store on eBay? It's extremely easy to operate, and it provides an international audience. You can also market your website through that channel. It will give you sales with minimal work. Also, I think you could make some sales through Grailed.com. You will get an idea of how your target customers view your product. At the bare minimum, these options will get your name out there. Hypebeast, on the other hand, can be a definitive game changer. No PR is bad PR, but if you don't have a culture behind your line, the Hypebeast users will see right through it.

Shopify
- I also run my own store on Shopify as a side hobby, albeit a profitable side hobby. I personally haven't mastered it yet, especially SEO, but if you know what you are doing, it can be essentially all you need. What's the website name? I'd like to see it and get an idea of your style.

This really isn't expert advice or anything you haven't heard before, I am sure. I'd like to see what type of clothing you produce. It's a bit difficult to help you with your plight without actually seeing the product. If your line is good, it will essentially sell itself (with a little help of course). Interested to hear more about your brand, man. Keep up the good work.

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Along with karmaloop, you should see what you can do to be featured on hypebeast. Major traffic goes through there for your target demographic.

"
For PRESS AND EDITORIAL, please contact
info@hypebeast.com.

For ADVERTISING, please contact
advertise@hypebeast.com.

"

I did hear about them, I think I did get a quote from them too, but it was about 20-30K or somthing!! But I will double check again.

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
@lovecharm

Marketing & Sales
- There are millions of ways to market your product on sales platforms. This may be a bit basic, but have you considered opening your own store on eBay? It's extremely easy to operate, and it provides an international audience. You can also market your website through that channel. It will give you sales with minimal work. Also, I think you could make some sales through Grailed.com. You will get an idea of how your target customers view your product. At the bare minimum, these options will get your name out there. Hypebeast, on the other hand, can be a definitive game changer. No PR is bad PR, but if you don't have a culture behind your line, the Hypebeast users will see right through it.

For ebay, I must say, I procrastinated. Or should I say I have been over thinking. I made a template and still didn't list anything. I was thinking whether any one will pay the full price eg 100 or 130 for the jeans. I can reduce the price down, but if I do then people won't pay full price in my online store, also boutique stores will be angry because their clients won't pay more as they can buy directly from us for cheaper.

I guess I just list them with my full price for now, lets see what happens and then we can tweak things.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
For ebay, I must say, I procrastinated. Or should I say I have been over thinking. I made a template and still didn't list anything. I was thinking whether any one will pay the full price eg 100 or 130 for the jeans. I can reduce the price down, but if I do then people won't pay full price in my online store, also boutique stores will be angry because their clients won't pay more as they can buy directly from us for cheaper.

You self financed a million dollars in inventory and you're procrastinating. Having that much inventory parked should be like a five alarm fire emergency, you should be snorting lines of five hour energy and making calls from the crack of dawn until it gets so late that potential buyers say "WTF" when they pick up. I start sweating when I've got over 50K worth of "inventory" parked and not making money, and you've got 20 times that much. If you put that much out, it might be worth it to hire an advertising agency or branding expert (a real one, not a self-proclaimed one). Even if it eats up $100K of your profits, it's a whole lot better than blowing out a million bucks worth of stuff for pennies on the dollar.

Ebay is going to eat you alive. Their fees are insane. In. Sane. Like 14% straight up on any item you sell except an RV or a Car. Assuming you sell your items for cost, eBay will skim $120,000 from you. You need to get traffic to your own store and sell this stuff, you need to do it fast, and it seems like you're lacking the motivation and know-how to do either.

You need to figure out how to get back in touch with whatever juices were flowing when you made the $1.2M you bought the inventory with and unlock that drive and determination. Or, if that money came from your Dad (only saying this because you mentioned him above), I would actually recommend that after you hire someone and sell this inventory, you self-finance your next gig and start small. The kind of a$$ kicking you need to learn how to dish out before you take the reins of that kind of money and multiply it has to be learned in the trenches. You can't figure it out by reading a forum or blogs, and it's extremely rare to "inherit" it just from watching someone else. You need to become it.

Last edited:

f0reclone

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Sep 18, 2014
Hello @lovecharm great Journey. Keep up the good work. I'm an Internet Marketer with experience in Programming, different Shopsystems and Saleschannels, SEO and Advertising. I will write you a PM to discuss your Online Store.

Regards

Andreas

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
You self financed a million dollars in inventory and you're procrastinating. Having that much inventory parked should be like a five alarm fire emergency, you should be snorting lines of five hour energy and making calls from the crack of dawn until it gets so late that potential buyers say "WTF" when they pick up. I start sweating when I've got over 50K worth of "inventory" parked and not making money, and you've got 20 times that much. If you put that much out, it might be worth it to hire an advertising agency or branding expert (a real one, not a self-proclaimed one). Even if it eats up $100K of your profits, it's a whole lot better than blowing out a million bucks worth of stuff for pennies on the dollar.

Ebay is going to eat you alive. Their fees are insane. In. Sane. Like 14% straight up on any item you sell except an RV or a Car. Assuming you sell your items for cost, eBay will skim $120,000 from you. You need to get traffic to your own store and sell this stuff, you need to do it fast, and it seems like you're lacking the motivation and know-how to do either.

You need to figure out how to get back in touch with whatever juices were flowing when you made the $1.2M you bought the inventory with and unlock that drive and determination. Or, if that money came from your Dad (only saying this because you mentioned him above), I would actually recommend that after you hire someone and sell this inventory, you self-finance your next gig and start small. The kind of a$$ kicking you need to learn how to dish out before you take the reins of that kind of money and multiply it has to be learned in the trenches. You can't figure it out by reading a forum or blogs, and it's extremely rare to "inherit" it just from watching someone else. You need to become it.

Well, Yes and no.

Yes I am grinding and calling clients and opening new doors, but I am not trying to figure things out by reading forums, I know what needs to be done. I am good in offline sales and thats what I am doing, which is also taking up lot of my time.

So was curious if people who does online marketing would like to partner up or do joint venture, in a way its like drop shipping.

I just posted here because it will make lot of people realise what sort of things goes on in clothing industry, as lot of people are talking about it, since I am in that industry so thought why not give them a sneak peak of the fashion world.

And oh, I certainly HAVE NOT LOST any drive or determination, if I did then I would have liquidated everything and would have gone back to London.

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Become the hustle.

Lol'd at "snorting 5hr energy"

Actually, I am a biosignature modulation practitioner, which is like functional medicine. DON'T do red bulls, 5 hour energy etc for energy. They are addictive. All of them have an ingredient called TAURINE in them, and taurine is usually taken to calm down and sleep before bed. So Caffeine boosts you up then taurine kicks in and you start to calm down and slow down, then you get one more.

I have my own cocktails, ranging from caffeine supplements to various brain boosting supplements to keep the focus and reduce the stress. They are definitely helping me to keep on running.

JonnyC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
463%
Jan 23, 2014
Canada
Actually, I am a biosignature modulation practitioner, which is like functional medicine. DON'T do red bulls, 5 hour energy etc for energy. They are addictive. All of them have an ingredient called TAURINE in them, and taurine is usually taken to calm down and sleep before bed. So Caffeine boosts you up then taurine kicks in and you start to calm down and slow down, then you get one more.

I have my own cocktails, ranging from caffeine supplements to various brain boosting supplements to keep the focus and reduce the stress. They are definitely helping me to keep on running.

animal-memes-well-excuse-me-bear.jpg

;)

matteoboni

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Mar 31, 2016
Hey everyone,

As I promised earlier today, I am going to write up my progress or Journey report of the Urban wear brand that I launched earlier last year.

So, it started off horribly, we funded and produced huge inventory (oh, just so you didn't know, we own factories in Asia, also me and my dad can design stuff too), I am talking about 10 containers of products, that' about $1.2 million dollar worth of items. The reason behind that was, we had a partner in USA, it turned out he was just a con man and lied to us. The people or clients that he brought were all just his friends or people who were not even in fashion!!

We were new in US at that time, so believed everything that he said blindly, and then things started to sink in when he literally sold nothing for 2 months!! I still can't believe how that is possible, but he managed to do it.

Any way, I moved to USA, knew no one and didn't even know which department store or boutiques to approach, I was fresh off the boat. But I knew how to use Uncle Google :D So started to looking for leads, first started to look for wholesalers, as we had so much inventory we needed to sell in volumes.

So I needed money urgently just to stay alive. I started to sell things at loss price. It was hard, really killing me selling things at such a loss, but I had no options, the fact that we are paying the bills and staying alive, that was the only gratification I was getting.

Then we had another major problem, he was meant to sell and pay the customs charge to discharge the 4-5 containers which were coming, obviously nothing was sold and there was no money to pay, those containers were sitting in the port for 2-3 months!! In the end we had to pay $60,000 penalty!!! Yeah had to sell one of my car in UK to get the fund for the penalty, office rent, employees salarty etc, it was probably one of the saddest moment of my life, I had to sell that Bentley off. Yeah the Bentley that you see in my avatar, that WAS mine as I sold it off now.

I was really going through hard time emotionally. Despression, anxiety, panic attack everything was coming at the same time, you can see why, no money, no sales, selling off loved posessions just to stay alive, it was getting just too much.

But, I always knew I just have to weather the storm now. Sunny days are ahead. You see those Never give up videos, well I was watching them a lot, can't give up now, not after all these hard work, sacrifice and tears.

Any way, back to the sales part, most of the wholesalers were trying to low ball, I mean some of them were offering $1 to buy off 20-30,000 units!! I mean $1 f..king dollar?? Bloody Starbucks coffee costs more than that. But hey, they had the cash to pay and they will say any number they feel like.

So I had to stop looking for wholesalers online. Luckily I knew a guy in NY, he was director of a major clothing brand, the only problem is, he is simply crazy, if any one can put up with him then that person definitely have a lot of patience. I had no choice, I had to put up with a certified mental patient, he was forgetting things every hour, I had to keep sending him the same email 7 times a day, he doesn't know how to open up a PDF file so I had to take screen shot of all the 50 pages and message him on whatsapp!! Oh yeah, I did them alright. Because, he knew people and people trusts him.

Thats one of the biggest lesson I learned in USA, this big corporations, they don't give newbies a chance, its very very hard to break in as a newbie in USA. You need to go via some one who knows, people simply don't trust any one. That's why I was having trouble reaching the ideal wholesalers or companies who can pay be at least break even price.

Any way, I had to pay him in advance, he did introduce me various people, they were offering better price than those other low ballers, so we sold fair amount of units around end of last year, I think just in December we did about $100,000 sales.

Oh, in the mean time, that useless partner of ours sued us, apparently we were not consulting with him and making business decisions without him!! Yeah, he had the nerve to do that, it did dent us a bit as we had court injunction, so we couldn't sell goods for a month and half during christmas time, the busiest time of the year!!! It was really hard to take, we were just about to stand on our own feet and he had to kick us hard. Any way, we won the case in the court, so we got rid of him from the company, me and my manager was running the show from that time onwards.

Then we went to a small trade show in Atlanta, we found some sales people from there and also sold our items to some boutiques, those sales reps didn't perform much in the end, so kept looking for new sales reps, doing job advert, asking the stores about the reps that they know etc. I am still actively working on getting the right sales rep, but its really hard to find the right sales reps to represent your line.

I was visiting some stores around where I am in Philly and managed to get some sales. Now I am planning to hit all the Urban wear boutiques in NY, as thats where there are 100's of stores who can represent our line.

Earlier this year, we went to the trade show again, but this time the organisers really messed it up, they put us with discounted or off price items, we should have been with other urban wear brand, so that really effected our sales in that show, we literally got only one sales!! Yeah only one sales, but it was from a major Urban wear chain stores, so that was a lucky break.

Now, I am doing networking really hard and trying to find people who are representing similar lines as us or who worked for top brands like True religion, Affliction. Its hard to find them and when you find them you need bowl them over, as they are used to work with top players, so if you are not a top player or doesn't have the potential to be top player then they will not want any thing from you.

I have an commerce website that I built on shopify, honestly speaking, been so busy with everything else, I couldn't do any marketing whatsoever. So get 1-2 sales a month from it, which is really nothing, So I am looking to get some one or partner up with some one who is good at online marketing, so that we can grow the online sales, this will be really a game changer as I will be getting the maximum price for our goods, and I got 16,000 sqr feet full of products, thats over $5million worth of products at retail value!! If any one in here is in online marketing and wants to work together then let me know, will see how we can do something, as the potential is there.

In order to grow this brand and make it even bigger, I will need some major funds, mainly for marketing, trade shows etc. So I am actually creating a sales pitch for investors, as we have tractions, our sales are improving, but if we had funds then we could definitely boost up the sales even more. :greedy:

I will be on the road a lot in up coming months, doing door to door sales in those boutiques, at the same time working rigorously to get appointments with buyers from the chain stores, don't get much email from them as they probably get 1000/s of emails a day, but I won't stop trying. Also approaching more sales reps that I can find online, multi line show rooms etc so that they can carry our line.

Looking back at it, if last year I knew all the people that I know in fashion now, we would have been in such an amazing place right now, we could have easily done $1 Million in sales. But there is no point speculating about what if, but etc. It is what it is. Life doesn't always gives you everything straight away, you have to fight and grind for it, thats what I had to do and still doing. Whatever doesn't kills you makes you stronger. And I am certainly much stronger that what I was last year.

In fact I am already thinking about opening a new brand which will offer goods at cheap price, as now I know the buyers of lot of discounted stores, know the sales reps of those discounted products etc. But I am concentrating fully on expanding my brand. Trying new ideas, new paths, new channels. One of them will hit the Bulls eye, so the Journey continues. :hurray:

Thanks for reading. :tiphat:

I lovecharm, i have skills with performance marketing , i m work with mobile advertising , native ads and social media . i m very happy of work with this project

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.