The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

5 Year Old Girl Fined 150 Pounds for Lemonade Stand

Rawiri

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Oct 26, 2016
Girl, 5, fined £150 for lemonade stand - BBC News

I understand why they have such laws...but things like that really annoy me.

Young kids shouldn't be learning that offering a service is a "bad thing." Good on them for retracting the fine...but the psychological hit on the girl is already done.

I remember when I was a kid similar things happening in school with trading cards. Some of us got in trouble for buying larger packs and selling off the good ones, trading them etc. Banned them and us "given a talking to."

Then a few months later marbles become popular, but no - how dare you actually make money giving the other kids what they want (ok, that one was more understandable, since the winner of the games would get the losers marbles, lol).

A few years ago a friend from Thailand came over on a work visa and wanted to start selling their food (very good at cooking). They did it in Thailand for years. But were very surprised when I told them how much they'd need to (legally) do it here. They'd have to rent a place out, wait for licensing, have premises checked out etc.

They didn't have the money (or time really) so it was off to waiting tables for them.

There are a lot of people I've known who could at least get started doing more in the world - but they'd have to break some law to do it. So instead they keep on with their sad life.

Of course, barrier to entry...good. But some barriers to entry just mean something that could be perfectly doable isn't - because of math.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
SCRIPT shit.....what's so dangerous about a lemonade stall, I wonder???
Or maybe her lemonade is so good that the higher-ups worry she'll make a productocracy monopoly that will put the big guys out of business lol :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Part of me wants to feel sorry for this girl, and say: Damn, this is the last thing we need... our political, cultural and society leaders discouraging entrepreneurial spirit in children.

The other part of me wants to just smile, because I know the power of the human soul, especially when it faces adversity.

I think of @Mattie - and how ugly she might be to all of us, if it weren't for all of the ugly situations that she had to fight and rise through. Her beauty (I'm speaking spiritually here, as I've never actually seen a picture of her) was created by and reflects the fighting spirit that we all seek to tap into.

Personally, I thank The Money Gods that I endured hardship and dark times, when I was unjustifiably criticized. Those were the times that prepared me for glory.

I hope this girl becomes a BEA$T.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Part of me wants to feel sorry for this girl, and say: Damn, this is the last thing we need... our political, cultural and society leaders discouraging entrepreneurial spirit in children.

The other part of me wants to just smile, because I know the power of the human soul, especially when it faces adversity.

I think of @Mattie - and how ugly she might be to all of us, if it weren't for all of the ugly situations that she had to fight and rise through. Her beauty (I'm speaking spiritually here, as I've never actually seen a picture of her) was created by and reflects the fighting spirit that we all seek to tap into.

Personally, I thank The Money Gods that I endured hardship and dark times, when I was unjustifiably criticized. Those were the times that prepared me for glory.

I hope this girl becomes a BEA$T.
I am willing to bet money that the girl's lemonade is MORE original and cleaner than most drinks which are just F*cking sugar-water with colouring.

I read the news and I was horrified.
That kind of shit actually happens in my country too....council officers kicking out food stall folks who just want to make a living.
Here's an article on it. Happened in my town, embarassingly.
Kacang puteh seller may get a second bite - Nation | The Star Online

At least the girl's doing experimental work that will teach her good valuable lessons. But for the folks who have it to get their bread and butter...they are more screwed.

I think I'm F*cked...when I was her age, my parents shoved me into a kindergarten safe space and daycares, forcing me to learn all kinds of gimmicks skills like piano and art which I could pick up later if I wanted to. I was bred to be a snowflake!

She's already a beast that's eating up 100% of wantrapreneurs!

@Ubermensch, let's say some struggles are pretty riddled with bullshit, despite their potential importance. This incident should have happened in an alternate universe.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
This is one of those moments that could shape her future. Her parents can complain and influence her to hate the system, or they can explain to her the harsh truth and motivate her to beat the system. Petty fine, but potentially an important life altering moment.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I remember when I was a kid similar things happening in school with trading cards. Some of us got in trouble for buying larger packs and selling off the good ones, trading them etc. Banned them and us "given a talking to."
Oh, man. It was Dragonball pictures for me. I had the idea of taking Dragonball pics from the internet (which was pretty new back then, and unknown to elementary schoolers), printing them and selling them at a x5 profit. Pretty soon it was a business. Until some parents complained, and it was a whole thing.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Oh, man. It was Dragonball pictures for me. I had the idea of taking Dragonball pics from the internet (which was pretty new back then, and unknown to elementary schoolers), printing them and selling them at a x5 profit. Pretty soon it was a business. Until some parents complained, and it was a whole thing.
From humble beginnings....

Waisec

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Feb 6, 2014
Estonia
Reading that makes me glad I grew up in a different era - Eastern-Europe in the early 90's. No-one gave a shit back then lol.

I remember winning hundreds of chocolate bars in elementary school that I sold most of so I could buy other stuff from cafeteria. Would literally just stand somewhere in the main hallway and sell them to kids like I'd be dealing drugs.
Then moved on to burning pc games onto cd's and selling those. Then cheat codes, cd-keys, walkthrough guides and trainers for said games.

Never ran out lunch money.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
This is one of those moments that could shape her future. Her parents can complain and influence her to hate the system, or they can explain to her the harsh truth and motivate her to beat the system. Petty fine, but potentially an important life altering moment.
I believe in that - setting children down and explaining to them what situations as such are about, which they may incur in life (of course in a language they will understand) - yes it will also encourage them to ask a lot of questions, which is a great thing; it will prepare them for times ahead, where they'll be able to effectively make a difference, without blaming everyone and, they'll figure out how to get ahead no matter what they are faced later on in life, especially when it may be a situation where they'll understand they have to take responsibility for their actions. She's going to be a braveheart - IF her parents sat her down and used this as a valuable lesson to teach her to not allow obstacles to prevent her from being the best no matter what.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
hu214b0421bjpg.jpeg

Yes, I survived the Taron yesterday. My words when it stopped. F###k! I wonder if I have anymore brain cells now. It was weird, because it was kicking in that warrior side, survival of the fittest. I never swear. It wasn't even fear. It was kind of like dang! You put me in this roller coaster at high speed in 70 seconds and not expect my brain to get furious. Was a wonderful experiment yesterday after studying everything about Mental Toughness, placing myself in various rides, and seeing how my body reacted. The black Mamba, it was easy to just visualize and close my eyes, keep track of breathing, etc. The Taron I did the same thing, but was moving so fast that it was just my famous words after trying to control my emotions, thoughts etc. My friends don't know how to do that though, but I thought it would be neat just to experiment with stuff.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHSZMkz24YU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJPwCgm_Apk&t=3s

The one I didn't go on was this one, because I was thinking I'd have no brain cells left possibly! lol I watched some people do this, and they were like totally white when they got off, couldn't smile, and looked like they didn't enjoy themselves. I have no idea why anyone would want to tumble themselves like this.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEmHHqBrnQM&t=131s

I would say I've been through more than most individuals I've ever met. I would say in the end, it's probably my advantage, because after all the heart break, disappointments, survival of the fittest, you naturally learn to be a warrior. You're adaptable to any situation, adjust, learn to problem solve, not afraid of much, and understand most people give zero about you. Many individuals are self-absorbed these days. I keep seeing people ditching family and marriage everywhere. So, I believe lemonade stands are the least of this little girls worries.

I'm sure she'll experience tougher times in life than this, and probably won't even remember the lemonade stand after other things impact her life.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
I am willing to bet money that the girl's lemonade is MORE original and cleaner than most drinks which are just F*cking sugar-water with colouring.

It is a fool's errand to attempt to make sense of the twisted reasoning embedded in western legislation. It's a farce. No sane person would sit around and be a victim to the growing amounts of red tape strangling creativity and profitability.

I read the news and I was horrified.
That kind of shit actually happens in my country too....council officers kicking out food stall folks who just want to make a living.
Here's an article on it. Happened in my town, embarassingly.

Fortunately for forward-thinking entrepreneurs, we can obtain citizenship in a multitude of different foreign nations, and this citizenship equips us with passports in each nation. So, if your country is going down the path that many Western nations are, and are cranking up the size of big brother, doesn't it make sense to diversify your nationality, in much the same way we diversify our projects and investments?

Kacang puteh seller may get a second bite - Nation | The Star Online

At least the girl's doing experimental work that will teach her good valuable lessons. But for the folks who have it to get their bread and butter...they are more screwed.

The girl's story is a microcosm of the business world today. Being successful today requires thinking outside of the box, abandoning the old ways of doing things.

Gone are the days of lemonade stands. The girl should have created a lemonade Facebook page, or a website.

Likewise, entrepreneurs today should obviously take advantage of new, 21st century strategies to get the word out about their ideas. Everyone seems to know and speak about this.

What most people seem to ignore, however, is that not all nations are created equal in regards to friendliness to entrepreneurs.

If your country taxes your foreign-earned income, there are better more competitive countries that allow you to keep the money you earn outside of the home-country's borders.

If your country makes it easy for people to sue you and put your assets at risk, there are better more competitive nations that protect you from such frivolousness.

If your country makes it easy for a female to lay legal claim to your earnings and assets - just because she had your child, or she was married to you - there are better more competitive nations that protect you from being a victim of what I call The Tiger Wood's effect.

If your country arbitrarily sets a "minimum wage" that drastically eats into your profits, then there are better options to hire individuals on foreign nations for pennies on the dollar, relative to the cost in your home country.

The list goes on and on. It is the height of myopic thinking to assume that the best options for all things exist inside of the borders of one's own country. Statistics, logic and even common sense fly in the face of this silly notion.

Making such a mistake is understandable for a five-year old. Shouldn't adults should do their research and make more strategic decisions?

Amon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Jun 29, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Shutting this lemonade stand is likely the best thing that will ever happen to this girl.

If she is a pure bred entrepreneur -- this punch in the face is THE BEST OUTCOME.

At five years old, she has already set herself apart from thousands of people that put "entrepreneur" in their social media biography.

The reality is, if she is ordinary -- she will fit in among those thousands of wannabes. Some of you know on this forum, there's plenty of room there.

If she is EXTRAordinary -- she will rise and crush her enemies.

You can be born to win or born to lose, the choice is yours.

There are people who were born to be kings like me, and there were people who were born to be dipshits. But then again, there is a little thing called knowledge, and a little knowledge can turn a loser into a winner.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Gone are the days of lemonade stands. The girl should have created a lemonade Facebook page, or a website.

silly girl should have read TMFL :rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

sotomo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 25, 2017
U.S.
Geesh, ambition should be rewarded, not punished. Government is acting like thugs. Here in the U.S., government workers usually get pensions paid by the tax payer, whereas those in the "private sector" earn every dollar themselves. That's like winning the lottery -- I mean a pension is worth like $2 million. And then they act like they are in charge, rather than serving the public. That's gotta change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.