The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

409(a) Valuations, doing it by the book, and other IRS pitfalls

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Do any of you guys do 409(A) valuations for your companies? Does anyone know how it works? If I grant equity to new employees do they have to pay an absurd amount of taxes? Why with any accountant or lawyer i've ever had have they *never* mentioned this requirement by the IRS? From what I'm reading online, it is a legal requirement to do this for your business and yet this is the first time i'm hearing about this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Broad-stroking it here: different types of equity grants are taxed in different ways. If you're giving them direct equity, the value of that equity would generally be included in their compensation in the year it is given. If you are granting options to purchase, the taxation is a bit different depending on how the options are structured.

Either way, at particular points you will need to know the fair market value of the company so you know how much to include in their compensation.

In your very early days, it is entirely possible that your value was $0 or even negative, so probably less of an issue then. Now that your business is larger, it's probably a much bigger issue.

A fun example I had recently (numbers made up because it seems inappropriate to look for the specific amounts):
A startup company grants you an option to purchase 10,000 shares in 2 years for a price of $0.10 per share. In the year of the option exercise, the stock is worth $50 per share (based on the independent valuation you reference). You pay 10,000 * $0.10 = $1,000, you receive 10,000 shares of stock, and at the end of the year you receive a 1099/W-2 (depending on your relationship with the company) for 10,000 * ($50 - $0.10) = $499,000 of compensation/income.

Now you probably need to come up with about $499,000 * 30% = ~$150k for taxes, so hopefully you either have cash somewhere else, or there is a market to liquidate some of the stock you just bought.
(note, some companies will allow you to liquidate some stock to pay the withholding at the time of the option exercise. I'm not sure if this is limited to public companies, or if private companies offer this as well)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.