Hello,
I am coming to a cross roads in my life and am looking for thoughts from other people on the forum. My three paths are below:
1) Stay with my Company - I work at a multi-national company where I help structure large transactions, build systems, and resolve accounting issues. They take very good care of me, it is stable, and I have a relatively bright future. The problem is that I'm only doing about 20% of what I'm capable of. I'm lucky to have a job like this and most people would trade places with me in a heartbeat, but it pains me because I am not very patient. The business I work for is being sold and I'll get a nice retention package in a few months. I'll have a job with the buyer at least for another year and then anything could happen. The work/life balance is good and my quality of life is high.
2) Go to a Startup - I have had several opportunities to join startups as an executive (CFO, Corporate Controller, etc.). I would get a big chunk of equity and meet lots of interesting people. More risk, but a good chance of a seven figure payout in a few years. I would have to work like crazy and it would probably ruin my marriage, but there is a ton of upside potential...
3) Do my own thing - I get ideas for businesses constantly (to the point where they keep me up at night). The day job keeps getting in the way of me focusing on my ideas. My latest idea I actually started trying to execute and have a lot of the code written and I think if I spend a few more months working on it I'll have an Android app ready that could be pretty cool. This path scares me the most because I know it would completely consume me. Without the certainty of a regular paycheck I don't think I would be able to do anything but think about work (I have this problem already, but I am scared it will get much worse).
I know MJ would say to quit the damn job. Most people would say I'd be nuts to walk away from something like this. These are good problems to have, but other perspectives would be much appreciated.
-R
I am coming to a cross roads in my life and am looking for thoughts from other people on the forum. My three paths are below:
1) Stay with my Company - I work at a multi-national company where I help structure large transactions, build systems, and resolve accounting issues. They take very good care of me, it is stable, and I have a relatively bright future. The problem is that I'm only doing about 20% of what I'm capable of. I'm lucky to have a job like this and most people would trade places with me in a heartbeat, but it pains me because I am not very patient. The business I work for is being sold and I'll get a nice retention package in a few months. I'll have a job with the buyer at least for another year and then anything could happen. The work/life balance is good and my quality of life is high.
2) Go to a Startup - I have had several opportunities to join startups as an executive (CFO, Corporate Controller, etc.). I would get a big chunk of equity and meet lots of interesting people. More risk, but a good chance of a seven figure payout in a few years. I would have to work like crazy and it would probably ruin my marriage, but there is a ton of upside potential...
3) Do my own thing - I get ideas for businesses constantly (to the point where they keep me up at night). The day job keeps getting in the way of me focusing on my ideas. My latest idea I actually started trying to execute and have a lot of the code written and I think if I spend a few more months working on it I'll have an Android app ready that could be pretty cool. This path scares me the most because I know it would completely consume me. Without the certainty of a regular paycheck I don't think I would be able to do anything but think about work (I have this problem already, but I am scared it will get much worse).
I know MJ would say to quit the damn job. Most people would say I'd be nuts to walk away from something like this. These are good problems to have, but other perspectives would be much appreciated.
-R
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
