The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

27 years led me to this moment

SiuLung

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Aug 13, 2019
France
Hi everyone,

SiuLung here, French guy who turned 27 yesterday (12th of august). I've been lurking for the past few weeks and the urge to join to the community is too strong. I'll try and condence these 27 years that led me to this exact moment:

- Raised by an awesome single mom and loving grand-parents
- A+ student during all my school life (more on that later)
- Growing up, I always pictured myself as filthy rich once being an adult because I wanted to take care of my mother and allow her to retire early (guess I failed that for now)

Allow me to give some details :

Student and working life

I've been an A+ student all my life, devouring books as a kid, always had congratulations from my teachers. I always felt the need and I always loved to learn. Fast forward a few years later, I'm graduating high school and going to college to study computer science as I've already been learning it on my own. I dropped out when I realized I was lagging behind in mathematics and was too lazy to catch up. Plus, parties and nights out put an end to my brief college adventure.

The two years that followed, I worked at various jobs here and there, construction, retail and McDonald's. I was just out there enjoying alcohol and girls with my friends, you could say it was carefree living. Then I decided it was time to get back to studying, so I went back to school and obtained a 2-year diploma in business and sales administration. After that I tried going back to college in order to get an international logistics bachelor's degree, but I was fed up with school so I decided mid-year that I would drop out and try to find an entry-level job from which I could climb up the ladder.

In 2016, the company I'm currently working at hired me as a sales assistant at first. One year later, I was promoted to marketing. I thought this was it, I could finally do something interesting and fulfilling. However, too bad for me, the marketing aspect in this company is practically nonexistent. I tried to bring up some ideas but they were not welcome. I became frustrated, my boss noticed and let me go to sales administration. That was in last january, nothing new since.

I've considered training in a new field, but I've figured out I won't be fulfiled until I'm owning businesses. I want it so bad that it's consuming me from the inside.

Entrepreneurial journey

No need to get fancy here : mostly daydreaming, talking how much I want to be an entrepreneur. A few years back, I used to say and think : "Don't worry, I don't know how but in 2 years I will be rich. I trust what the future holds for me". As a kid, I tried to create things (statues, drawing, ...) in order to sell them on flea markets. Needless to say, I never acted.

My most notable attempt at entrepreneurship started two years ago. I noticed that restaurants and hotels were sometimes unhappy with the service provided by Groupon (lack of flexbility and control, pricing, etc...). I figured that if I made a platform whose strengths would be Groupon's weaknesses, I would have a winning recipe and everybody would want to use it. I learned Ruby on Rails and made a basic website in one year, then made it public, sent some flyers to hotels and restaurant in a 30km radius around my house. Obviously, I had no calls, no emails. I didn't push forward and I gave up this project.

I've tried some other things that some of the internet so-called gurus are teaching like Amazon FBA, dropshipping and affiliate marketing but I never really started since I felt like it was just a quick fix.

Since then, I've been obsessing about finding THE idea that would allow me to execute perfectly and make me rich. Deep down I was slowly giving up my dream, but still clinging to it at the same time, looking online for the spark that would ignite my fire. Reading the forum for the past few weeks, I now know that I'm chasing the wrong thing and my mindset has started to change about that.

What's next?

A few weeks back, I stumbled upon the MFCEO podcast. I realized that the situation I'm currently living is just the result of what I've been doing for the past years. The way I've been living would never allow me to achieve my goals. It really was a kick in the a$$, so I started reading again in order to gain some momentum, something I hadn't done in years.
Prior to that, I've read TMF (amongst other books here and there), but I was looking for a quick fix so I completly went through the book's message. Also, that was an illegaly downloaded copy, so it doesn't count (don't worry @MJ DeMarco, I've just bought both TMF and Unscripted on Amazon to catch up). You'll see the badges near my name soon.

I'm now 27 and I feel like I'm at a crossroads. All my friends around me are either having a baby, buying/building their house or getting married, and I sense they're expecting the same thing from me. I've been in a relationship with my girlfriend for 5 1/2 years or so. I keep telling her that I don't want kids for now, and that I'm not sure if I will ever want kids. She's very supportive, and encouraging me to follow my dreams. However, I feel that if I keep postponing action, she will start to put pressure on me. I feel like it's either going all in now and living my entrepreneurial dream, or surrendering and doing what everybody else is doing (house, mortgage, kids, wedding). For now, I keep pushing back the 2nd choice as hard as I can.
On the positive side, my mother tells me that it's my life and I should live it according to my inner desires.

My biggest problem is figuring out what kind of business I want to start. I've also noticed a reocurring issue throughout my life thus far : I'm giving up when it's becoming difficult instead of pushing through. I wonder how many opportunities I've missed because of that. I have to overcome those two problems or else I'll be doomed to fail. I guess the fear of failing plays a big role, too.

Anyway, if you've made it this far into this intro, congratulations and thank you for reading it! I wish I'll be able to create a progress thread in the following months, one that I could go back to in a few years and say I made progress towards my goals.

SiuLung

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for the intro. Your story sounds quite similar to my own as you look around at your peers who are deeply entrenched in the Slowlane with their cars, marriages, and mortgages.

My biggest problem is figuring out what kind of business I want to start. I've also noticed a reocurring issue throughout my life thus far : I'm giving up when it's becoming difficult instead of pushing through. I wonder how many opportunities I've missed because of that.

Definitely a problem, like swinging at one pitch in a baseball at-bat and giving up. You got stand in there and keep swinging until that "at bat" strikes an echo... a feedback of some sort. Your Groupon venture definitely was one swing and back to the bench. :-(

Hope to see ya around the forum and welcome aboard.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
Happy Birthday! 27 is one of the pivotal years that begin the next stage in your life so you are in the right place! I'm finding a path beginning with meditation and/or prayer each day is essential to moving forward. One of those 'I wish I listened way back when and started sooner type of things.

SiuLung

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Aug 13, 2019
France
Thanks for the intro. Your story sounds quite similar to my own as you look around at your peers who are deeply entrenched in the Slowlane with their cars, marriages, and mortgages.

I do not want to reveal too much about myself for now, but we also have some similarities in our last name :)

Definitely a problem, like swinging at one pitch in a baseball at-bat and giving up. You got stand in there and keep swinging until that "at bat" strikes an echo... a feedback of some sort. Your Groupon venture definitely was one swing and back to the bench. :-(

I really need to get myself out there, but I'm somehow stuck in the idea phase right now. However, my mindset is starting to change after reading the forum. I know I have to look for needs, not ideas. I know I have to figure out what attracts the cat and stop chasing the cat. My job now is to make those two things a habit, and execute.

Happy Birthday! 27 is one of the pivotal years that begin the next stage in your life so you are in the right place! I'm finding a path beginning with meditation and/or prayer each day is essential to moving forward. One of those 'I wish I listened way back when and started sooner type of things.

Thank you :) I've started to implement meditation to my morning routine a couple weeks ago, I totally agree with you on this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...