The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

24 Year Old Makes $345,000 in 2 Months..

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Hmm i don't know... i'm not convinced this guy is scum.
Is he scum because he executed a publicly available idea faster than the original guy?
You'd really not let him get INSIDERS subscription MJ? didn't know capitalism was so morally conscious.

Does poaching clients also make one scum?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
The big problem was that it was already on alibaba for easy access. Not gonna lie, I actually searched alibaba when I first saw the fidget cube and it was right there. On amazon too. They can lose it all with the lawsuit for the bed thing. I don't know why the kickstarter original didn't wait till he actually had a patent.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
This is my thought as well.

I realize there is a huge sentiment of "execution is all that matters!" from many people here but personally no matter how good this guy is at executing, he's not someone I would even want to share even the name of my company with.

There's a lot of people I've talked to from this forum and elsewhere who have products I'm passionate about that I think I could either out-execute on, or at least compete very competently with. I've chosen 100% of the time to give those product categories a wide berth. I would much rather be known as the guy you can always trust to talk shop with in confidence rather than the guy who can 'kill you on execution'.

A lot of people have shared a tremendous wealth of information with me over my short few years doing this and I personally find it very important that every single one of them knows I'd never put a knife in their back.

I do realize that every niche under the sun has competitors you are fighting with but I feel there's a huge difference between the type of person who chooses a niche they love or feels they can add value to and competes aggressively in, and the person who decides to look for people who have already put in the time, money, marketing, risk, and just jumping in front of them with a giant "haha I got here first, choose me instead" sign. It's not really commendable.
True that. I think it's healthier that way.

I think a Fastlane business that thrives on goodwill and valuable relationships instead of dominance over competition can not only be made passive easier, but also LONGER.

Lots of 'warrior' businesses that fight to the top are quickly pulled down by their rivals one way or another. Competition never worked for me even in school. The costs of 'war', like stress, rivalry and strained resources, always far outweighed the results.

'The hardest conquest there is, is not of land or country, but of the conquest of hearts of people.'

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Wait, how does a 24 year old have 70K around. Didn't say he loaned it or anything.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
exactly, and what da fuk is big deal about FIDGET CUBE, a plastic cube with buttons, give it to a todler.

Easy as hell to replicate, i applaud for his initiative.

I think people are just salty at how easy he made 300k

Agreed 100%

They put on Kickstarter because they thought they'd create their first batch of customers. The guy went direct to festivals etc so I don't see the problem.

All the butthurts on here talking about reputation etc, you want to look at Warren Buffet's early career....
View: https://youtu.be/w-eX4sZi-Zs?t=1471
specifically Dempster Mill. He also did some dodgy things with insurance, the float from which he used to fund many of his longer term investments.

Damon143

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 23, 2017
US
What the F*ck man is that real? I'm so jealous about it I think even if I work hard this whole year I can't earn as much as that. I want to meet this guy in person and I want to know his secret on how did he do that.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
They are sucking out as much cash as they can from Amazon so they can focus on building a real brand.
That sounds completely ridiculous, and completely delusional

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
That sounds completely ridiculous, and completely delusional
Doesn't apply to all sellers, just like anything else. But there are those there purely for fast cash flow. The three big players I know are doing just that. Building real brands on the side while they make $100k a month on Amazon.

Again, this is another topic of discussion. The reason I mentioned that was because people think making a quick $300k is wrong.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Doesn't apply to all sellers, just like anything else. But there are those there purely for fast cash flow. The three big players I know are doing just that. Building real brands on the side while they make $100k a month on Amazon.

Again, this is another topic of discussion. The reason I mentioned that was because people think making a quick $300k is wrong.
But

In other words, with your logic there's "real businesses" and other cash flows that people use to fund their "real business" and it's totally cool to rip off another person's business because it will fund your own (which may or may not turn into anything).

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
The way i see it is this dude saw the demand and was the first to supply it.
yup. He capitalized on the original creators slow manufacturing. IDK why they got caught up in manufacturing for so long. Inexperience I guess. None of the articles ever mentioned why.

IF the fidget cube had the experience or right ppl on his team, they could have dominated and kicked all these copy cats to the curb. Doesn't really matter in the long term. That guy is a winner. He knows how to build something from scratch and is complete control of his destiny. He doesn't need to wait on other people's successes to leach a living off of. That's what we should all be aiming for. The long term play.

wbrett1027

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Feb 15, 2015
Lesson to be learned here fellas
Patent is a must, if not have a damn good plan on how you will target your competition

Sharks are out to eat the fish!

American manufacturers may be safer with designs, you can even have them sign a discloser saying not to release any information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Have you guys seen the Mokuru Desk Toy on Kickstarter. The stuff is on Alibaba already. Don't know if these guys have a patent, but history could repeat itself again...

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Not to dig up a resting body, but I did see the fidget clicker thingy in JC Penny the other day, and remembered this thread.

I have mixed feelings about whether the German guy in the article is wrong, or if he’s no different than most entrepreneurs, albeit much more aggressive and absolutely without remorse. Props to the guy for being a badass executioner, probably nobody on this forum that has the balls to hunt down a company, race them to a pre-verified market, start binge hiring and reserving warehouse space overseas and publicly berating their staff into performing at insane levels. He’s a Donald Trump. He’s tactless but in the end, he has the resources and wins. He’s doing the same thing that all of you ecommerce folks are doing - finding something proven, taking the junk out of the process and capturing a meaningful market elsewhere. It just sucks to see it as cold as that.

By the article’s description, he seems to have a Hitler like personality, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a mental issue that contributes to that level of intensity. The contention lies in his unapologetic method of directly copying. He’s very dangerous to businesses, he sees creativity as a time waster that other businesses can do for him for free.

Definitely shows the vulnerabilities of crowdfunding. Great place to find awesome ideas by people who don’t have the resources to execute. I had this very talk with an attorney about identifying meaningful markets and protecting yourself in them before you go out with your product.

Last edited:

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
I want to be more assertive and aggressive in business like this, but tbh I have no idea where to start.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.