The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

23 Year Old Leaving the Slowlane

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

NoRedBMW

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 9, 2015
Hello all!

23 year old here new to the forums after stumbling on The Millionaire Fastlane among a list of books I've been going through. I'll try to make a long story as short as possible and give a cliffnotes background:

• Born into upper-middle class household, dad works 50-70hrs a week as a scientist, mom stays at home to homeschool and raise me

• At age 10 mom gets cancer and is told she has 3 months to live, she pulls through into remission after two years of treatment and I'm left realizing how finite time is

• Dad is gone at work 6 days a week, the 7th he spends the day grumpy and recovering. I decide that being forced to go to a job must be a terrible thing.

• At 18 go to major state school for computer engineering, hate the football, fraternity, and natty ice culture. I transfer after one semester...

• ... to music school for audio engineering on $200,000 of private student loans. 18 year old me disregards the number because with a degree I'll have grammies!

• Move to LA to become a rock star, work a music studio job for 7.25 an hour. 16 hour shifts cleaning toilets and vacuuming carpets quickly dulls the excitement of Billboard chart artists there daily.

• "Someday in you'll be an engineer here, this is all a test to see if you're up to it". I quit after the third time they ask me to work a shift over 24 hours.

• Get a job at a red retail store to stay afloat. While turning cat food cans so they all face forward I wonder what my life has become. It clicks that *I* put myself there and I have the power to change things.

• Move to the east coast, enroll in a certification program at a community college, then leave after I get an internship with a fortune 200 company which turns into a full time 8am-6pm corporate IT job. In less than a year I've turned my life around completely, and am making more money than I've ever seen before. The excitement lasts three months.

• I decide spending 40 years in a cubicle must be the worst way to spend a life. Everyone I work with lives for the weekend, and the only people with (moderate) money have celebrated their 30th anniversary, are overweight, and grey. I decide I have to get out no matter what it takes before I become "the fat man in the red BMW".

• I begin reading books like a madman to learn what I need to know to free myself, and stumble on the success story of Alex Ikonn (Luxy Hair), which leads to 4HWW, then The Millionaire Fastlane . For the first time in my life I believe real wealth is possible for me.

So here I am now beginning my entrepreneurial journey. My goal is to make enough to support myself without a job within a year, and if it means spending all the free time I have outside my 8-6 until then it'll be worth it, because I know there is more to experience in life than trading 5 for 2 for someone else.

Thank you to those who took the time to read my story. I'm looking forward to being part of this community.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Hey, I was homeschooled too. Also went the heavy education route. I was going to welcome you, but then you talked trash on 30-year-olds. o_O
He said 30th anniversary so that's 50+ year olds. Apparently with a midlife crisis flair too, because why else would you get a red beemer at that age. :woot:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NoRedBMW

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 9, 2015
He said 30th anniversary so that's 50+ year olds. Apparently with a midlife crisis flair too, because why else would you get a red beemer at that age. :woot:

Yes haha, I know that number seems too high to be an anniversary, but we even have 40+ year anniversary parking spots which are always full. I think the nicest car I ever saw in one of them was an Audi A7 which gave me a clue as to what 40 years of 9-5 can get you.

NoRedBMW

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 9, 2015
CCNA network engineer. I've been browsing the "should I learn programming" threads on here trying to decide if it would be worth it to learn and freelance as a transition from job to passive income. The freedom sounds great but I'd still be trading time for money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eliG.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Feb 15, 2016
TEXAS
200,000 for audio engineering school, man that's the most I've ever heard. Where did you go to school? I got the same degree going to a local collage I must have only gotten 6k in student loans. I know what you mean about the recording industry tho. They want you to intern and work for cheap before you can even touch to board or work with real talent. In my town those jobs are hard to come by, not a lot of major studios. There's a lot of local ones where the owner is the only one getting enough work to servive. That's why I moved over to the live audio side of it, where I am now. I like my job but a lot of times I'm working boring corporate events or installing systems. Not what I pictured when I decided to go into the music industry.
So recently I've been thinking I gotta get free from the job slavery so that I can get back to doing what I love,music.
I've had the same question tho...Do I raise my intrinsic value to become freelance then have better control over my time. Consequently I would have more time to work on my online business. Or do I just focus on growing my online business to a point where it replaces my jobs income? It's a tough question for me because I want to be the best I can be in my career and if I shift my focus on my online business then I'm not gonna be as effective in my job/career. On the other side I gotta do something different to get different results. So for now I'm gonna continue to grow my business and out in the long hours and hard work.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...