The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

1st Annual “Junk-A-Thon†Challenge

Anything related to matters of the mind

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
1st Annual “Junk-A-Thon†Challenge

I would like to propose a new challenge:

The 1st annual Junk-A-Thon

Staying in theme with part B and step two of Russ's Plan

and the thread I started Life Altering Event

Of reducing our material positions that we do not need, thus freeing up space in our homes. Which intern will free up our minds from the clutter.

For one month let's see who can sell/donate the most unwanted stuff in our homes.

Ebay, Craigslist, Ebid, Bonanzle, yard sale or any other method.

Two champions will be crowned. One for the who makes the most amount of $$$ and one for the person who gets rid of the largest amount of stuff.

Anyone game?

I'll post some rules shortly.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Rules:
Challenge Starts Nov 1st and closes at midnight on Nov 30th. (no reason to delay, plus all auctions will need to be posted prior to Thanksgiving so this will not impact the holiday season)

Items purchased as investments don't count. Your Mickey Mantle rookie card you bought as an investment does not count. The items to be sold is the stuff you have that you no longer need or should have gotten rid of a long time ago. The broken air compressor you uncle gave you because he could not throw it out. The extra rims to the mustang you sold 5 years ago....

The tiffany lamp your grandmother gave you but you hate the look of is game if the only reason you saved it is because you new it was worth something.

The actions for items on ebay or other sites must close prior to the end of the challenge to count. Items on Craigslist or other similar sites must be sold by the end of the challenge. If the item sells after the deadline it does not count

The prize for most items sold/donated is based on number "lots" not number of items in the lot. For example the 4 mustang rims count as one item not 4 items, unless you sold them to 4 different people.

Items donated to charity will count toward “most items” award. 1 standard grocery bag (paper or plastic) filled with stuff counts as one item. So a tall kitchen garbage bag counts towards ~3 items and a large hefty size garbage bag counts towards ~6 items. Other items larger than a garbage bag count as one item (TV’s, couch, kids bike…)

Becouse the goal is to get stuff out of your home items given away count as donations, on freecycle or to your uncle count.

Following this same logic trash can earn you credit. A full kitchen bag of garbage counts as one item (Large hefty bag of trash is worth two items). Normal everyday trash does not count only stuff generated during cleanouts.

Last edited:

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Awesome idea Ralph! :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Nice idea, but I already been playing for most of the year! Anyone else game?

Knightsman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 14, 2009
South Carolina
So, if I sell my old legos at 1 brink per cent...do i automatically win?

fast_track_chaz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Oct 23, 2009
Im game. My wife would be happy if I took this action. Since I am basically a newlywed, she would love it if I got rid of my bachelor stuff.

Great idea! Speed ++

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
We're IN.

This is a fantastic idea.

C'mon fastlaners-- what's holding you back . . . TOO MUCH STUFF!? ;)

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
My Fave take on "STUFF": :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac]YouTube - George Carlin Talks About "Stuff"[/ame]

-Russ H.

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Challenge Starts at 12:01 Tonight!!!(or 1:01 if you didn't set your clocks back already)

I updated the rules to the secound post so you can get credit for throwing stuff out.

I thought some before and after photo's may be fun. Here is the room i'm hoping to clean out during the challenge:

As of Oct 31st:

scout-albums-junk-thon-picture196-target-room-oct-31st.jpg

scout-albums-junk-thon-picture197-target-room-oct-31st.jpg

This room has been the dumping ground for just about anything we don't really use anymore along with all the stuff one collects when the rest of the family knows you have room for it. To give you an idea, in the back corner are the boxes we never unpacked from college 10 years ago (and we moved in 5 years ago) and the layers have just built up.

Please post you before shots, good luck

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Oh I see the plan here...Get rid of stuff now so I can get more stuff for Christmas! :rofl:

We went through this a couple of years ago and got rid of 3 rooms full and a shop full of stuff. I could do a little cleaning again but I don't think I have enough stuff to win this.:cheers:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Actually, Runum, its a BIG, BIG part of the PLAN thread.

So the very least I can promise you is major rep speed for DOING.

(and the most-- well, that's what Part II has been about all along-- we just needed to get critical mass to get to it).

This is about more than getting rid of STUFF.

It's about changing your life-- and getting more fastlane.

You're a racer.

What's the best way to improve a car's speed (besides more horsepower/torque?)

(Hint: Weight reduction)

Same thing works for human beings.

Let's all see what we can do to lighten our loads and GET FASTER!!!

-Russ H.

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Russ, could not agree more. We have found that if we really want to be serous about getting into the fast lane we need to make sure we optimize our Base.

Your home is a big part of your base, along with some others:

Health (physical and mental),
$$$ skills
Relationship with mate and family

Add them up and you can end up with a strong base to succeed:

Home = Your playing field
Health = Energy and Focus
$$$ skills = Positive Cash Flow
+ Relationships = Support
FASTLANE

Each plays a critical role

My wife and I jumped in a few years back and purchased a rental property. First few years we were breaking even, with the economy turn we are faced with a negative cash flow. We need to optimize the property but we are finding we are tripping over our base trying to find time and energy to do it. Our house is a time sink due to the amount of stuff we need to maintain and clean constantly. As we are cleaning it out we are fining more free time and the ability to focus more.

This challenge for me is to avoid the "someday" mentality to strengthen our base.

A streamlined house allows you to operate more effectively and focus on what you really want/need to be doing.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Wow Scout, that's quite the project!

Just a helpful tip--create four piles: one to keep, one for any "maybes" (stuff you aren't sure if you want to keep or get rid of) and one to sell and one to donate.

This way you can quickly do an initial sort. Once you have your donate pile, call the Salvation Army and get them over there. ...Even if you aren't done sorting, go ahead and call them to make a pick up. Just getting rid of a car load of stuff will make it easier to move about and give you the feeling of progress--which helps keep you motivated.

...I just got rid of about 5 boxes of books and 3 sacks of clothes. I love lightening the load! :)

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Good tip, I like the sort it, then deal with it method, saves a bunch of time.

Stats so far:

$$$: $5.27 (loose change I found cleaning) I did get two items listed on ebay we will see if they sell)

Donations: 8 (two large garbage bags of clothes and two boxes of kitchen junk)

Garbage: 2 (two large garbage bags)

Last edited:

CoMp1eX

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 1, 2007
Awesome, I have 350+ items, mostly clothing, shoes, accessories, and even domains that are just waiting to be sold.

I've already taken most of the pictures and descriptions. I just need to take the time to list them.

I'll dedicated a hour or so a day and post the results.

I wish I would've taken before/after pictures after I decided to live more simplistic.

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Anyone have any junk updates?

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Junk-A-Thon Mini-Challenge

I have a mini-challenge for everyone out thier following this thread.

Take out a grocery bag (paper or plastic) tonight when you get home.

Walk through your house/apartment and fill it with anything you have not touched in the last year or two.

One rule: Try NOT touch the object before you make your decision. This may sound hokey but as soon as you touch it you are re-bonding with object and your memmories or sentiment will win.

Other pointers:
Don't linger, if you are struggling just move on.

Look for multiple objects, ditch your least favorite (ex: coffee mugs, t-shirts...)

Come post and tell everyone how you did.

Good Luck!!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
2nd Junk-A-Thon Mini-Challenge

I have another mini-challenge for everyone.

Virtual Junk-A-Thon Challenge: Empty your desktop of Icons.

This is a good one, remove all items from your desktop screen except for the two or three folders and shortcuts you use (should not be more than the first vertical row.

Just create a new folder called "Old Stuff" or "Current files" and move them all their keep this one folder on your desk top.

Only allow the one or two files you are currently working on to be on your desktop.

Also change your background to a simple color or a very simple pattern. Not distracting or complex.

Just try it for a week, if you see no change (better focus, clearer thinking while on the computer) put back your favorite picture and let the files accumulate on the screen.

Want extra credit: Get your inbox below 20 items, each item must be an action item or action item reminder. Everything else file it or delete it. Create a single folder "Current Nov 09" to put all other stuff you get but want to keep.

Last edited:

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Thought I would give a quick update and see how folks are doing.

Just completed my first round of e-bay sold 6 items for ~$175, Good test run, I will start listing more.

Current stats:

$$$: ~$180
Donations: 12 grocery bags worth
Garbage: 3 Large garbage bags

If leaves counted I would be way ahead.

Anyone else have any updates, it is not to late to start....

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
bump.

-Russ H.

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
3rd Junk-A-Thon Mini-Challenge

Doesn't look like we have many folks on the challenge, but for the silent participants hear is another mini challenge:

"Gut a room or corner" Junk-A-Thon Mini Challenge

Basically mentally walk through your house or apartment and identify the room or corner of your apartment you use the least or just store junk in and gut it, remove everything from that area (everything includes furniture and pictures on the wall). Bust a$$, do this in 30 min, don't take extra time here. Take all the crap and move it to a high traffic area in your house (living room floor, dining room table, kitchen floor...)

Then set the room up for one simple purpose. I'll use a reading room or corner for an example. Just set it up for that purpose, a comfortable chair(s), good light, very small book case or a small end table. Only bring in a couple of your current books. Don't load it up with every book you have been wanting to read for the last year, it is not a library. Just your current two or three books (a fiction, current magazine issue and motivation/business book) Make thing cozy as needed, pictures on the wall maybe a vase or something sentimental, motivating or relaxing but NO CLUTTER, NO EXTRA CRAP, NO COLLECTIONS.

After it is all set up, then deal with the crap you pulled out. Only rule none of it is allowed to go back into the new space, NONE. Find new homes for it or THROW IT OUT. It is in a high traffic area so you are forced to deal with it.

My wife and I are doing this with our computer/office area currently. Of course after we pulled everything out we have decided to paint the room :pissed: (I hate painting) But we found all sorts of stuff that has migrated into the area that has no related purpose.

Repeat the challenge to each area in your house until each place has a purpose (exercise area, office, bedroom....)

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
OK folks only a few days left, so clean out what you can and post your final results!

Final Results for myself:

$$$: ~$225
Donations: 25 grocery bags worth
Garbage: 6 Large garbage bags

Basement and Office gutted and cleaned out.

I bit dispointed but I never touched the room above the garage (posted pictures). Always more to be done.

CoMp1eX

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 1, 2007
Here's my final list for the month. Not bad, but still have a long way to go.

Took too long selling them on forums, so I just listed the bottom items on ebay when I had spare time.

Have to subtract shipping/paypal/ebay fees from the final price and I live close to the post office so didn't spend a lot of time on that.

NOVEMBER

+ $91.94 (headphones)

+ $77.38 (claes sz. 12)

+ $38.54 (foams)

+ $145.35 (lv case)

+ $51.26 (ipod)

= $404.47

+ $28.26 (lacoste cardigan)

+ $32.76 (seahawk jacket)

+ $39.77 (lrg night jacket)

+ $48.77 (dunks purple/black)

+ $57.77 (claes)

+ $37.77 (polo flag sweater)

+ $37.77 (adidas tennis jacket)

= $687.34

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Well done CoMp1ex you are the official:

1st Annual Junk-A-Thon Champion!
scout-albums-junk-thon-picture198-junk.jpg

:yourock:​

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
What are the odds going back through the posts and it was almost exactly a year ago that the "First Annual Junk-A-Thon†was launched.

Is anyone up for:

The 2nd Annual Junk-A-Thon

Let me know and we will start it Nov 1st...you can't get in the fastlane if your dragging all your extra uneeded crap behind you...

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Not exactly all junk, but I have been decluttering now since late summer. I am back in the US now at my house in NC and have been clearing out stuff every day. I don't even remember all the stuff.

I have sold 4 motorcycles - I forgot the amount but somewhere around $14k
I have sold hundreds of books to the used book store - the usually only pay about $1/book
I have sold some excess furniture - no idea the amount, my wife sold it
I have given away even more furniture
Took at least 10 trash bags of clothes to goodwill
Took at least 5 bags of toys to goodwill
Taken 4-5 loads of stuff to the dump

It has been absolutely amazing seeing all the stuff go away. Very liberating. When we started the process in September, I kept finding file folders from the '90s!!! I had shoes that had holes in them!

Next up is the house. Anyone want a 4br/4ba on 7ac in a neighborhood in NC?

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
:hurray:GlobalWealth:hurray:

Well Done! That is enough reason for me!

2nd Annual Junk-A-Thon starts tomorow...

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
dam I been needing to do this for a while now. Mostly clothes and just stupid shit cluttering up the house. Im in. Most of it will be donated but I do have a set of track tires for an M5 i had in 2002 that are still laying around. I don't think I will be able to sell them. Hell I might have to pay someone to take them. lol

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Why is that when you declutter your environment, your mind also seems to declutter? When my desk is neat and tidy, I get shit done. When it's messy with folders and crap laying everywhere, nothing gets done.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Why is that when you declutter your environment, your mind also seems to declutter? When my desk is neat and tidy, I get shit done. When it's messy with folders and crap laying everywhere, nothing gets done.

I agree. I noticed that this past week actually. My Girlfriend and I were cleaning house for a Halloween party we were hosting on Saturday night, and it became evident as we started to straighten up that we had definitely been lacking in the housekeeping department the past month or two. We had all sorts of crap everywhere (from stuff piled at the bottom of the stairs that never made its way UP, junk-mail piling up on the kitchen counter, to cluttered end tables and shelves, closets, etc. However, I found when it was all cleared up and looked "show-worthy" again before the party (lol), that it made me want to DO even more. I even contemplated painting our hallway on Sunday morning/afternoon, but opted to do so some reading and researching instead. ;)

Its cool that something as simple as tidying up your home base can free your mind and put you into ACTION mode, and motivate you to get stuff done.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.