The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

18 year old Class of 2013 Graduate!!!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MillionaireWish

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 22, 2013
So I made it , Graduated Highschool welcome to the Real world of the rat race !:eusa_clap: SO i need Advice, what do you regret at 18 ? what do you wish you would have done ? or Did you complete success and start early ? You tell me I need to learn from others :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
I wish I had started a business at 18 and invested my time in that instead of staying up late playing Halo.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
So I made it , Graduated Highschool welcome to the Real world of the rat race !:eusa_clap: SO i need Advice, what do you regret at 18 ? what do you wish you would have done ? or Did you complete success and start early ? You tell me I need to learn from others :)

GREAT QUESTION.

At 18 I was not on an entrepreneur forum, I was getting ready to go to college. I wish I knew or someone had told me that college will not make you rich back then, and I regret wasting a year of my life on it. I attended for a year and everything since has been going beautifully. :D

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
So did you stop your college career in go into business ?

I did.

Spring break of my freshman year, I traveled down to LA to see my uncle. While on Venice beach, I saw a rather homeless looking man selling t-shirts walk over to a brand new Land Rover... so I asked my uncle about it, and he said the guy probably makes around half a million a year doing so because of tourists. I was stunned. I had already been an entrepeneur in my life, but I hadn't taken it seriously into consideration for my life path.

I was already upset that my teachers were so so so incredibly bad and underqualified, that it made the decision really easy. Will staying here make me a millionaire? And can I do it without a degree? What are the requirements to start a business? None.

MillionaireWish

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 22, 2013
I did.

Spring break of my freshman year, I traveled down to LA to see my uncle. While on Venice beach, I saw a rather homeless looking man selling t-shirts walk over to a brand new Land Rover... so I asked my uncle about it, and he said the guy probably makes around half a million a year doing so because of tourists. I was stunned. I had already been an entrepeneur in my life, but I hadn't taken it seriously into consideration for my life path.

I was already upset that my teachers were so so so incredibly bad and underqualified, that it made the decision really easy. Will staying here make me a millionaire? And can I do it without a degree? What are the requirements to start a business? None.
I see wow it is incredible to see how much our society puts into becoming rich, we believe in too many requirements to get where we need to be often times over thinking what it takes..Here you have this homeless looking guy finding a area with great demand and fulfilling a want making over 500k yearly...How much requirement did that take ? haha none at all. Thank you for your response truly helpful..In your opinion do you believe college is any good for a person wanting to be a entrepreneur ?

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I see wow it is incredible to see how much our society puts into becoming rich, we believe in too many requirements to get where we need to be often times over thinking what it takes..Here you have this homeless looking guy finding a area with great demand and fulfilling a want making over 500k yearly...How much requirement did that take ? haha none at all. Thank you for your response truly helpful..In your opinion do you believe college is any good for a person wanting to be a entrepreneur ?

I'm 23 now and know quite a few people who have gone through entrepreneurial programs in college, and not one of them understands economics or business the way they should to build a business. Knowing what program they went through here locally... I know for a fact that not one of the professors teaching there has ever started a business! So WHY are they teaching it?! haha

There definitely are professors in those programs who have started businesses, and are teaching to give back, but I do think they are the vast minority.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
In your opinion do you believe college is any good for a person wanting to be a entrepreneur ?

Yeah but at what cost? Are you going to pay 20k a year? Will you be 100k in dept upon completion? Or will you be going for free?

You can learn a lot in college including spotting needs that you can fill which could help you launch your first entrepreneurial venture. But is it worth it?

If you have to foot the bill maybe not.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
You can learn a lot in college including spotting needs that you can fill which could help you launch your first entrepreneurial venture. But is it worth it?

So can walking around in another country... which that $20k could finance. :D

brycer9

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jan 21, 2013
I started being a full-time entrepreneur this year, at 18. Within a few months, I'm making a decent amount of passive income. Not sustainable yet but getting there

You should get to work on starting a business immediately. Start looking for a need that is unfulfilled, and solve it no matter what you have to do. Here's a good post about validating the need for your idea: How to Create a Million-Dollar Business This Weekend (Examples: AppSumo, Mint, Chihuahuas)

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
So can walking around in another country... which that $20k could finance.

There are many ways to spend 20k, if you want to be an entrepreneur and have to pay for college it likely isnt a good investment for you (as I mentioned in my post). If you have the opportunity to go for free it certainly can be valuable.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
You don't know what you don't know.

So go out and do something.

MillionaireWish

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 22, 2013
Thank all you guys for the answers ad conversation you guy have put on ths thread! I look foward to putting in more questions and learning from this forum, so far we are on good terms.. The-J haha I like your post short and simple your right do something come with a plan also brycer9 I belive your right except one thing think about what business you want and the most effective way to go aout it...Dknise so far good with me and last but not least 1-step One thing college can be a good place to networth also a fall back plan in my opinion..Once agan thank all you guys best of luck!

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
GREAT QUESTION.

At 18 I was not on an entrepreneur forum, I was getting ready to go to college. I wish I knew or someone had told me that college will not make you rich back then, and I regret wasting a year of my life on it. I attended for a year and everything since has been going beautifully. :D

If you don't mind me asking, how did this dropping out of college talk go over with your parents?

I have been thinking more and more that this college deal isn't the option I want to take. The debt is way too stressful, and as shown by the financial state of my family, a piece of paper doesn't mean you will have a financially successful career.

But being as I live with my parents, and need a place to stay until I can fully support myself, I hold back from expressing a lot of these thoughts.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
If you don't mind me asking, how did this dropping out of college talk go over with your parents?

I have been thinking more and more that this college deal isn't the option I want to take. The debt is way too stressful, and as shown by the financial state of my family, a piece of paper doesn't mean you will have a financially successful career.

But being as I live with my parents, and need a place to stay until I can fully support myself, I hold back from expressing a lot of these thoughts.

Let's just say it didn't go very well... haha.

If you personally are getting into debt while in college, then it doesn't matter if your parents are allowing you to live at their place. You'll be $100k in the whole anyway after 4 years. If your gripes about college are legitimate, the teacher's are terrible, the curriculum is awful, and you really aren't getting your money's worth, then by all means let your parents know! I truly believe most schools these days are just profit machines.

Anyways, there's WAY more things to talk about for this awesome thread topic than just college!

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA

I wish I hadn't assumed money was a mystical force in the universe I could master. Business is literally as simple as do something valuable for someone else. That's it. Solve someone's problem and you'll be a very rich person some day.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Anyways, there's WAY more things to talk about for this awesome thread topic than just college!

Absolutely. It's just that it's hard to find like-minded people to ask these questions to in real life (or rather, I need to work harder on surrounding myself with different types of people.)

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.