The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

16 year old Music Producer, writer, and lifetime fastlaner

Tronik

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Apr 6, 2012
Washington,D.C
Hey, I recently bought the millionaire's fast lane, and I read about 7 pages before I discovered this site. I bought the book at 2pm, its now almost 9pm and Ive been on this forum and some passive income sites all day. Im planning on finishing the book today. I'm so inspired by the book and all that I've read here.

Here's my background

Age 12: Started writing for Helium, Associated Content, and other article services. This was before the market was over saturated and I managed to make enough to buy a bunch of (mostly useless) domains and hosting. I didn't really care about money when I first started, I just wanted to write. I made about 150 dollars in total from writing, nothing to an adult, but a fortune to a 12 year old lol

Age 13: I started a site about paintballing even though I never played paintball. I used Adsense plus some other ad services and made like 200 dollars.

Age 13 (2): I started making beats for fun, and made a youtube channel, had about two thousand subscribers and I made 15-20 dollars a month from adsense. I sold a beat every once in a while and I spent whatever I made on headphones, music software, etc. For those not familiar with music production, when you sell a beat, you can sell a lease, which allows the buyer to record a song and sell it on itunes, and other music stores, or you can sell an exclusive, which allows the same rights as a lease to a greater extent, plus the beat is exclusively owned by the buyer.

Age 14: Bought a domain and started selling beats via soundclick. Sold 4-5 leases a month at 15 dollars each for about 65 a month, with 10 dollars operating costs monthly, so I made 55 dollars in profit. I also sold an exclusive every now and then for 200 or more. I started taking music more seriously and i promoted heavily, increasing revenue to 140 a month on average.

Age 15: Continued with soundclick, using what I made for music equipment.

Age 16: I realized that music production alone will not get me where I want to be financially and now Im focused on building up my passive income. I found the need for a a site with music production as my niche. I would have original content, ebooks for sale, plus resources for music producers that I could sell such as drumkits (ZIP files of drum sounds that producers use to create beats) and project files of beats to teach others how to make beats. I'm hoping to implement this in a month or so. I also started my own site to sell beat licenses, and I made 45 dollars in the first week of that. There are a few sites in the music production niche, mostly tailored towards marketing, and using old strategies that fail to take into account the sheer number of music producers there are, and my competitors (I use the term loosely as I know most of them personally), do not focus on the actual creation of music. Im going to be selling some of the marketing ebooks made by my competitors as an affiliate.

The years ahead: I hope to make a decent amount of money with my first niche site, and start a second one, tailored to tourism in Sudan, where my parents are from. I've yet to think this idea through. I also want to create other niche sites, and use those to build up my passive income. I would like to expand from that and use what i make to launch a real business, of which I have many ideas.

Skills: Music Production, songwriting, piano, amateur graphic design, writing, wordpress

Please contact me at OfficialTronik@Gmail.com if you need help with anything, and I'll try my best to help you anyway I can, and also add me on skype: itsosman if you are also set on the fastlane.

Thank You,
Tronik

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
:Welcome:
Hey Tronik, welcome to the site! First off, you sound like a smart kid, I didn't even know domain names existed when I was 12 :smx8:, its great to see were getting a lot of people around my age on here in the past few days/weeks! Anyways, I am 16 as well and am developing some websites as well as starting up a local marketing business!

I have always had an interest in music production and licensing (specifically how if Lil Wayne makes $14 mill in a year, imagine how much young money entertainment makes! *estimated $329 Million net worth*) but wasn't planning on exploring that industry much until I was older, so good luck and maybe you can help me with some questions down the road!

Finally, again, welcome to the forums, it will be an amazing resource for your fastlane! If you want to know anything else or want to get in touch in the future, feel free to PM me on here or I will PM you my email! Best of luck!

Side Note: a word of advice, begin to explore what it means to be a minor and run a business, it is not an easy thing to do if you want to do it legally! I have explored the topic a LOT if you have some questions I can try and answer them! :smx1:

Tronik

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Apr 6, 2012
Washington,D.C
Thanks a lot for your reply Mike! We should network, hit me up. And Im thinking of incorporating my music business using LegalZoom if my parents allow me to lol, they aren't very supportive when it comes to business, especially not music

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
Hey Tronik! Welcome aboard!

Really enjoy reading past experiences from very young fastlaners :) Best for you!

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
That's pretty good. I admire your ambition. I remember buying and reading Think and Grow Rich when I was 16. I would also stay locked in a room for 2 days making beats on an emulator sp1200 and ibanez sampling unit. Technology has changed quite a bit but the rule of hard work hasn't. Please stay on the path and you will surprise yourself.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

aBeats

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Feb 9, 2011
What's up man. Congratulations for discovering these things at an early age!

I realized that music production alone will not get me where I want to be financially and now Im focused on building up my passive income.

This depends on how you approach it. There is a difference between a "music producer" and a "beat maker."

The complete picture of being a music "producer" as opposed to just a "beat maker" can definitely be very financially rewarding and build passive income. But most of the guys online who use the "producer" title do not understand the full description.

Everyone who gets a computer and "fruity loops" thinks that automatically makes them a "music producer" as opposed to a "beat maker" (no offense to fruity loops). Once it turns into something where its as easy as buying a piece of software to become something cool, then the "coolness" and money making potential can rub off.

The online beat business at one time was very profitable for me (before 10 million people came in selling beat licenses for $1, lol). But I used it as means to propel myself as a total package music producer.

The term "producer" for hip-hop only requires making the beat, I suppose. But in other more involved music genres, such as pop, r&b, rock, acoustic, orchestral, etc...the "job description" is a bit more involved and goes much deeper.

However, even in the hip hop world, earning yourself a long-term spot as a producer starts with helping an artist elevate their game by challenging them to create better songs.

This takes an understanding of music and its effects on emotions that go beyond the act of clicking buttons with a mouse and listening to the sounds that come out as a result. Since you play piano and write songs, then you already are far ahead of most of the people online who call themselves a producer.

So if "music production" is something that you think you are passionate about, then I'd encourage the continued pursuit of it. All of your skills listed reminds me exactly of myself when I was your age.

The "mistake" (if you'd call it that) I made was to start navigating too far away from my natural talents and abilities, trying to do too many things, etc. I have no regrets about it simply because it helped to solidify my path to the fast lane.

But if you can avoid the years of toiling in too many things that are not in alignment with your natural talents and abilities, then you can get there faster. Then you can find a way to turn your unique talents and abilities into a fast lane business.

Hope this helps ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...