The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

12 Lessons learned from my 1st failed business

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Well, it's actually my 2nd or even 3rd business (if you count my beatmaking & -selling as a business), but I like to call it my 1st one, because it's the first business I started after finishing TMF .

Anyway, it failed.

It would feel kinda selfish to keep the lessons I learnt from that first failed business to myself, especially because I can't add much value yet in terms of a successful business, so at least I can do my best to share my thoughts on a failed one and hopefully help you in some way or another.

1. Commitment. Wow, that one's huge.
I went from shitting my pants by only hearing the words hard work, to engaging into real action and processes for hours every day.​

2. Steps, not miles.
That one goes hand in hand with commitment. It would be easy to get lost while looking at the whole picture all the time. Instead I focused on every single brushstroke painting that picture.
Breaking it down into steps, and those steps into daily tasks helped a lot.​

3. Real work or feel good work?
We probably all know that type of feel good work. Creating a logo, choosing brand colors, creating business cards, thinking about future ideas. While at the same time not one single sale was made. I had everything set up at the launch (a nice logo, awesome website, just everything) but what I didn't have was a single sign up on the site or someone interested in signing up.​

4. Partners. Uhh..
I started this business with a partner, and don't get me wrong he's an awesome guy and definitely knows his shit. But I wouldn't prefer starting a business with a partner again if not necessary. Not saying that it was wrong, but I can only suggest to put more thought into deciding to run it alone or to do it with a partner.​

5. "Do what you love!"
That "do what you love!" sentence? The next time you take the garbage out, please take that sentence with you and throw it away.
After reading more and more on here, I slowly began to realize that I started my business for the wrong reasons based on an assumed need. I can only suggest to throw away that idea of doing what you love and rather focus on what others love and need, to be able to give it to them.​

6. Passion.
There a 2 types of passion for me. The first one is the "follow your passion!" type, please do the same to that one as you should've done to the one above. But there's another type of passion. Contrary to "do what you love" there's "love what you do", and that (in my opinion) is a good type of passion.​

7. Love the hell out of others.
Most on here know where this sentence is from.
I can't really put into words how that changed everything, not just in my entrepreneurial but also in my personal life. Read @IceCreamKid 's Astonishing Secrets thread. Then read Dale Carnegie's book How To Win Friends And Influence People.​

8. Habits.
One of the biggest realizations I made was how powerful the development of habits can be.
Motivation can be a bitch, it's a fleeting emotion. If you rely on motivation to do something it's going to be easy to don't do anything if you don't feel like it. That's where habits come into place. Make it a habit to do something and you won't have to rely on motivation to do it.​

9. Expectations. Yeah.. F*ck that.
Don't expect fast results or that something will be too easy. Things like "Oh, I only need 100 customers to replace my day job" sound so damn easy, that when you realize it's not as easy as you thought, to get 100 customers in the first place, you feel like shit.
I don't think you should limit yourself, but setting realistic expectations, based on your progress, will do more good for you in the long run.​

10. Sharing your excitement with not like-minded people.
My tip? Don't do it.
Seriously, that can F*ck up your whole mood. Having to explain yourself to your family and friends after telling them how you view the world and what you think is possible just takes away your energy. Energy that you should rather put into your journey. Moving in silence felt a lot better than any attempt of convincing my family and friends of my view on things.​

11. Get back up.
There's a cool quote by Gary V that goes "All that looking back is only F*cking with your neck."
I spend 8-9 months on this business, it kinda hurts to end it after that amount of time spent on it and the energy that went into it.
Getting back to the drawing board is really hard after working on a project for so long. Starting with a blank canvas again. Starting as soon as possible to paint that new canvas helped me to avoid slipping back into the "normal life".​

12. Be happy.
That's something I am thankful I never unlearnt: being happy.
I'm thankful that I didn't turn in one of those "responsible" adults while growing up, but instead stayed child-like.
There's nothing to be gained from being a negative person. There's nothing good coming from feeling sorry for yourself. Don't wait until you're successful, to be happy. Be positive. Be happy. Now.
Oh, and don't forget to smile :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
Yeah, #10 is a big one. You'll end up wasting your mental energy thinking about how negative these people are rather than getting any work done. I'm slowly learning to keep it hush-hush. To go with #3 I would say to test your idea with Google AdWords or Facebook Ads first. See if you get any leads, sales, etc... BEFORE investing in the business. Validate the idea first before you make the site, the logo, etc.

Great post!

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
Thanks for sharing!
Definitely feeling #10. The "it'll never work" vibes just get right under your skin. Thankfully my parents are not the ones killing my vibe but actually helping me develop.

Whats next?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
11. Get back up.
There's a cool quote by Gary V that goes "All that looking back is only F*cking with your neck."
I spend 8-9 months on this business, it kinda hurts to end it after that amount of time spent on it and the energy that went into it.
Getting back to the drawing board is really hard after working on a project for so long. Starting with a blank canvas again. Starting as soon as possible to paint that new canvas helped me to avoid slipping back into the "normal life".
Yes this is where I'm at this point. I also think it's a necessary step and part of the process of growth. Breaking down what you've already done and re-inventing yourself. I think also you have to remember all the steps along the way, it's always trial and error, growth, and moving to the next level of the game.
If we stayed in the same place, never let go, we'd never be a success. Everything is upgraded and updated. Even us. The wisdom, knowledge, and experience propels us forward to fly higher and higher. :)

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Whats next?

Currently I am in the process of painting the first brushes on a completely new canvas. Giving a physical product a specific twist to hopefully solve a real need for a lot of people with it.

SSimz

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 21, 2015
Canada
Thanks again for sharing your lessons. #3 definitely hit me the hardest

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Thanks for sharing your lessons learned.

There's nothing to be gained from being a negative person.
This really resonates with me. I used to be one of those negative people. I went through a series of events that changed my outlook and I'm now one of the positive people. (That's not to say that I never lapse or fall back into old patterns.) Now I understand why I had such difficulty working with everyone. As an Engineer and a negative person, I used to look for problems. Now I look for solutions. It may seem like a subtle shift, but it's actually life changing!

***Reader, if you don't know which you are, you might be a negative person. Ask yourself: Are the people around me a bunch of screw-ups? Do you ever wonder how they manage to get through life or keep their jobs? Do you find some satisfaction in discovering the problems around you? If you answered yes to these questions, you might be a negative person and not even realize it. If you choose to change and see the positive, see the opportunities, find the solutions...might that be a more fulfilling existence??? Just think about it. That might be the start.

Akeem

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Feb 4, 2016
United Kingdom
I'm going against the norm here and picking out a particular number, in this case, number 5.

I think it's really important to "do what you love". I would hate to wake up and follow a dream just because people are buying it/using it, sure I would use it to my advantage to gain some extra cash and milk it but to honestly wake up everyday doing something all because people buy it or pay for it and use it is not a business that will be a success in the long term. I guess eventually some people begin to like the work they do which is why their may be some minority of people who become a success through things they do not like doing but on the whole for the majority, I would much rather take a calculated route and "do what I love". I think becoming a success includes having passion and that can only grow if you love what you do.

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
I'm going against the norm here and picking out a particular number, in this case, number 5.

I think it's really important to "do what you love". I would hate to wake up and follow a dream just because people are buying it/using it, sure I would use it to my advantage to gain some extra cash and milk it but to honestly wake up everyday doing something all because people buy it or pay for it and use it is not a business that will be a success in the long term. I guess eventually some people begin to like the work they do which is why their may be some minority of people who become a success through things they do not like doing but on the whole for the majority, I would much rather take a calculated route and "do what I love". I think becoming a success includes having passion and that can only grow if you love what you do.

Can't agree here. Doing what you love, to me, is kinda selfish.

You do something, create something, sell something because YOU love it. But for me it's about doing something for OTHERS, and that makes you love what you do, instead of doing what you love.

Akeem

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Feb 4, 2016
United Kingdom
Can't agree here. Doing what you love, to me, is kinda selfish.

You do something, create something, sell something because YOU love it. But for me it's about doing something for OTHERS, and that makes you love what you do, instead of doing what you love.

Personally, I think passion is what drives a lot of people to increasing their motivation. I'd love to do something for others but that won't always make me love what I do. Say my grandma asked me to take care of her pet dog for about 5$, i'd do it but at the same time, will I really begin to love what I do? You'll turn into a zombie if you just do things for others and then force yourself to love what you do.

Whereas if you love what you do from the beginning, you can niche your market and help others who are looking for things you love doing, this way what you're doing is what you love and it also brings in money.

Supa

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Personally, I think passion is what drives a lot of people to increasing their motivation. I'd love to do something for others but that won't always make me love what I do. Say my grandma asked me to take care of her pet dog for about 5$, i'd do it but at the same time, will I really begin to love what I do? You'll turn into a zombie if you just do things for others and then force yourself to love what you do.

Whereas if you love what you do from the beginning, you can niche your market and help others who are looking for things you love doing, this way what you're doing is what you love and it also brings in money.

You should read MJ's book.

Take yourself out of the picture when creating something for others. Value comes from focusing on others and not yourself.

Akeem

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Feb 4, 2016
United Kingdom
You should read MJ's book.

Take yourself out of the picture when creating something for others. Value comes from focusing on others and not yourself.

MJ's book, for me, is their as a guide. I think it's so much more fun and worthwhile if I were to take some key principles from the book and implement them into my life instead of living by the book as if it's some religious book.

As I said, this is my personal opinion, everyone's different. I'm sure you'll find the success you're longing for with the way you're doing it too.

Good luck with your current business ventures.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.