The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$100k 2017

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
ah, feel down right now. my fb page is not growing at all...posting lots of stuff, re sharing and what not. have scheduled posts running so i can just have it auto post itself which is a lot more convenient, even with paid advertising not pitching products and its been a struggle to grow.... (no unique follows / likes)

feel its very important to drive traffic from fb...

ebay page to trying to sell off a few things dirt cheap and im getting no views even!?

craigslist has proven to be more useful atm, gotta get rid of my lawnmower and ive been answering silly emails for the past hour or so.

just wanted to share my frustration

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
i may have the mower gone tm, have a couple of people potentially buying it..??

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Fun day td!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
think im about to close a sale...
/?????????????????????????????????????

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
well its been quite some time, with no speak able results. staring at my computer for hours on end trying to sell the things i have, uploading a billion pics on my pages and the works, simple basic work.

after a while it gets discouraging a bit but you always need to stick through it, the biggest problem ive been having is enduring my job, i literally am a slave for $ and sold off my soul, on the positive side i am going in the right direction, to quote earl nightingale, '' success is the progression of a worthy ideal ''

why am i working? to feed myself & save cash for investment capital. i always keep this in mind to fight away the misery slaving away.. ive altered my pricing and made some small adjustments in the listing again and again....

ive been receiving a flood of messages after another price drop and started going back and forth with a potential customer, having conflicting schedules as i work 8-4, mon - friday and the prospect works nights finishing at 1am i wasnt sure if this would even work out.

we arranged a meeting spot ironically by the dealerships i walk by basically every day, its a thing i constructed myself to remind me of what a broke bum i am that i cannot afford one of these cars, let alone a tyre change. so as a painful reminder i go by and lust over my desired collection of toys (ferrari & lamborghini of vancouver)

meeting a potential customer at 1:30am was funny enough, and now here i am walking by my babies for the millionth time...
to my relief i saw a car parked in a deserted gas station and i walked across the road to introduce myself. they actually showed up, hmm.. after a quick handshake with the items in the picture below i did it. i made a F*cking sale. F*ck. as you chuckle at an insignificant thing, it means a lot to me. i thought of something to sell, put it online and did a money...*sigh mj* value voucher.... handshake. what is 40 doll......sorry MJ, value vouchers, 40 value vouchers? i get paid around 13 an hour, so the 40 would represent not a value of money, but almost 4 hours of my life. pretty pathetic right?

so, i bought the car in the picture.....just kidding! its a start, as i said i think im heading in the right direction. if i can do 40, why not 400, 4000, 4 million? if theres anything you can take from this. it is as simple as getting started now. everyone on the forum always says, take action NOW! its that simple. why on earth did i not do this months ago? i had a different mindset. anyways sorry for the verbal diarrhea again.. maybe one day i can reread this thread and have a key instead of two peices of paper.

in the current times i am still focusing on just slaving away at my job, luckily the weather has been amazing in vancouver and will be for the rest of the week, was set on leaving after halloween but may delay to mid november (work another couple of weeks and made around an extra 700-900 bucks.

the use of my money will be for sourcing products to import and the whole sha bang of ecommerce, also feeding myself. that seems important just a bit. recently ive just barely escaped paycheck to paycheck and have the ability to go some time without one which is very nice. ah.....the times ive went hungry..

are you struggling to take action? what is stopping you

500 sales would be $20k, or around 1-2 items sold per day for a year. whats $20k? around my ft job pay, perhaps a bit less although 20k is a ''livable wage''.

the most important thing is buying my dam life back. have a good one.

Attachments

• ayee.jpg
    ayee.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 22

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
thought this was cool. made this my desktop! its a house in british properties (west vancouver)
a secluded community for only the 1% near the top of a mountain

Attachments

• faa.jpg
    faa.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 25

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
ive been thinking alot, if i can build something to make a measly 500 a month which is under 100 products a month that alone buys me 1/2 a month of my life back. (could work some shitty part time job rather being fulltime)

''woe is me'' ''why is this happening to me''

on the flip side... the people on this forum that make 5..6...+ figures a month....how about WHY NOT ME!?

StevieB

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 23, 2016
Congrats on the sale.

I think you would benefit a great deal from this progress thread. You aren't lacking effort, but I think you need to channel it into the right thought process. It seems like you're just tossing up a bunch of random things and hoping something sticks. Work smarter not harder. Do research on products and find pain points that people are talking about on them and offer them a solution to that pain point.

For example I posted a thread before about a campfire with no smoke. The product hit over 1 million on kickstarter. That was a pain point that people had around the campfire and someone thought of a way to remove that pain point and market it properly and hit a home run.

Just throwing up products that don't solve any particular paint point or fill a need (something undersold in the market that needs to be filled) you're just competing with thousands and thousands of other "me too" businesses that are out there which is why you're not getting any traction. It's like putting up a tent that sells coke products in the back of a Wal-Mart right next to the other coke products. Your not actually solving problems but just trying to "sell stuff". While this may work if you had a physical store, just because you'd be convenient for some that pass by, it won't sell much online. Mind you, you don't have to come up with something totally new but even just something slightly better than what's out there. At the least research markets and try to find something that's being undersold in your area and fill the gap.

I'll give you another example. I put a home up on AirBnB and almost immediately it's been booked over 80% of the time. Now rentals are usually a good bet but they don't normally start out so well with such a high % booking rate. I realized after a while the reason it's doing so well is because it's filling, even though just a small fill, a need of a gap in the real estate market of affordable short term rentals for large groups. Hotels don't typically offer this unless you book 4-5 rooms which is very expensive for say, 15 people.

Here's the progress thread I mentioned earlier.
Notable! - Dominating Online Ecom. Starting A New Store From 0

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
gonna check that thread out.

for now im just slaving my job, after my move im strongly considering importing some wholesale goods and going full out

will have a measly few grand to play with. if i can earn a few hundred a month and reduce working hours, id be thrilled.

focus on pet supplies, (have products in mind) going to pick up a phone shortly so i can start up instagram, been delaying this to long..

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
tough day at work, slapping 80 pound bags on top of a mixer and hauling cement via wheel barrow > pully 'ing' is that even a word? it to the 3rd floor of the apartment complex im working on. covered in cement, and rain living the good life. ha!

after work had a beer with the builder developer and my boss/crew. interesting convos about chinese lifestyle (so horrible compared to canadian) and general investment topics. vancouver real estate is hilariously overpriced.

few more weeks to go i guess!

Grahamj

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Sep 9, 2012
It seems like your still obsessed with making $500 dollars over creating value and letting the money follow. You should absolutely check out the mindset area of this forum, I think there is tremendous value in there.

There was a good idea to survey some pet owners to discover challenges they have. I would say instead of going door to door, or asking people on the street (which could take months to get a good demographic), go to where dog owners are going to be. Connect with a dog groomer that sees 100's of pets a month and offer them something in exchange for having their customers fill out a survey for you. Maybe give them your dog bed to raffle off in exchange for them helping you out. Could end up being a potential retail outlet for your products too.
When you order some samples you can have them test out your product. My advice would be to get out and create some real value, build some relationships and quit advertising on fb for a brand that is irrelevant at this point.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
It seems like your still obsessed with making $500 dollars over creating value and letting the money follow. You should absolutely check out the mindset area of this forum, I think there is tremendous value in there.

There was a good idea to survey some pet owners to discover challenges they have. I would say instead of going door to door, or asking people on the street (which could take months to get a good demographic), go to where dog owners are going to be. Connect with a dog groomer that sees 100's of pets a month and offer them something in exchange for having their customers fill out a survey for you. Maybe give them your dog bed to raffle off in exchange for them helping you out. Could end up being a potential retail outlet for your products too.
When you order some samples you can have them test out your product. My advice would be to get out and create some real value, build some relationships and quit advertising on fb for a brand that is irrelevant at this point.

hm, actually i have no idea why i havent thought of that, the dog groomer survey thing is actually golden. thanks for that

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
First off, bit kudos for hanging there for so long!

I admit feeling kinda meh when I started reading this thread.

To be honest.. I thought there was alot of big talk and not that much action, but then I saw the 15 pages of progress and I think at least this is one persistent hustler let's see what happens in the end.

You have alot of energy in you, man! You need to put that to good use.

There are already many mentions of you going in too many directions and that is definitely one thing, but I think the thing you really need to work on is your mindset, you need to be more positive.

Not the "I WILL BE A MILLIONAIRE" kind of way you currently seem to be in but more of humbly thinking "I have big dreams, I'm not there yet, WHY, and how can I improve?" kind of way.

You seem to be brushing off the advice given to you by many of the kind folks here.

Every job you took seems to be "crappy".

Every potential "competitor" for your next million dollar business seems to be a retard.

You tried to work with Amazon but their customer service is "shitty".

You tried to work with Facebook and they're "dumb".

You sound like you're too good for whatever job you're doing and "if only" you knew this or that or did this or that you would have been a bajillionaire a long time ago.

You're probably a really smart guy, let your confidence and smarts be a strength, and not a weakness.

Taking a job is not "anti-fastlane" if you have a valid reason going into it, a man gotta do what a man gotta do. If you take the job to sustain yourself WHILE learning how to break free and excelling at your job at the same time, that's much better for everyone in the equation than thinking of your job as a "jail".

Do what you must, but I think you need to be more positive about things in general, strengthen that mindset and make the most of what remains of 2017. Doesn't even matter if you don't make that $100k though it's still really possible if you strike something big.

And 2018 will be even better.

Rooting for you man.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Dog crap bags,..now that's a shitty buisness!

I hate dog crap, everybody does. I had an Amstaff and his crap was enormous. Just cleaning his crap was a workout on its own.

Now while I was hauling this shitload of dog crap back in the day, I thought how great it would be to have a product that lets the dog crap "melt away" or make it super fluid so it disappears. And you can use it also to resolve bird poo on your car (which I hate doing too).

If I would see a product in the shop that makes bird poo disappear without having to touch it, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

There you go, 2 fresh yet challenging ideas.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
First off, bit kudos for hanging there for so long!

I admit feeling kinda meh when I started reading this thread.

To be honest.. I thought there was alot of big talk and not that much action, but then I saw the 15 pages of progress and I think at least this is one persistent hustler let's see what happens in the end.

You have alot of energy in you, man! You need to put that to good use.

There are already many mentions of you going in too many directions and that is definitely one thing, but I think the thing you really need to work on is your mindset, you need to be more positive.

Not the "I WILL BE A MILLIONAIRE" kind of way you currently seem to be in but more of humbly thinking "I have big dreams, I'm not there yet, WHY, and how can I improve?" kind of way.

You seem to be brushing off the advice given to you by many of the kind folks here.

Every job you took seems to be "crappy".

Every potential "competitor" for your next million dollar business seems to be a retard.

You tried to work with Amazon but their customer service is "shitty".

You tried to work with Facebook and they're "dumb".

You sound like you're too good for whatever job you're doing and "if only" you knew this or that or did this or that you would have been a bajillionaire a long time ago.

You're probably a really smart guy, let your confidence and smarts be a strength, and not a weakness.

Taking a job is not "anti-fastlane" if you have a valid reason going into it, a man gotta do what a man gotta do. If you take the job to sustain yourself WHILE learning how to break free and excelling at your job at the same time, that's much better for everyone in the equation than thinking of your job as a "jail".

Do what you must, but I think you need to be more positive about things in general, strengthen that mindset and make the most of what remains of 2017. Doesn't even matter if you don't make that $100k though it's still really possible if you strike something big.

And 2018 will be even better.

Rooting for you man.

ah i read some of the tread from earlier...#yikes thanks to the people that have been sticking around and helping with input. it is very much appreciated aswell as needed.

i would agree im in a negative mindset..hard not to be though. although everything is a by-product of my choices in life and i do not blame anyone but myself.

2018 will certainly be a big year! thank you.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I hate dog crap, everybody does. I had an Amstaff and his crap was enormous. Just cleaning his crap was a workout on its own.

Now while I was hauling this shitload of dog crap back in the day, I thought how great it would be to have a product that lets the dog crap "melt away" or make it super fluid so it disappears. And you can use it also to resolve bird poo on your car (which I hate doing too).

If I would see a product in the shop that makes bird poo disappear without having to touch it, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

There you go, 2 fresh yet challenging ideas.

hmm...melting poo, smells like a good idea, errr sounds...

found something! https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/poop-off-bird-poop-remover

the dog crap thing ive seen some leashes that feature a bag on top, thinking to produce these and sell them with my own design. see way to many people in vancouver holding dog **** in theyre hands. really believe i can sell that.

just tried to find a product about dissolving crap and found a product! The Future Is Here: Your Dog's Poop, Vaporized

one thing ive picked up on is some products that ive thought of (fresh idea i havent heard of) *has already been done*
now ill state something from the book(s) ofc its not about re-inventing the wheel but improving it which is preached on this forum frequently. so! the above links are years old, (found another aswell but website closed down)

its all about executing! what did the previous people do wrong? i could make there product better, i could market it better..yada yada yada

@Longinus so royalty or free product!? =)

thank you for the input!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
alright, this will be a fun goal to achieve, i recently did my first ever entrepreneurial startup with $0 (got a shovel and made $57 in a few hours work clearing snow, its completely alien to me to make money from nothing..i was brainwashed to get jobs and be an employee...anyways i just wanted to make this thread for my dream of making $100k and tracking it every once in a while

i have a few business plans that i will be executing in the spring/summertime (maybe winter time to) and believe i can achieve this magic number...ive been broke all my life, ''rich'' to me was holding a few grand in my hand...will be really nice to hold $100k, ill prolly take a bath in it and go swimming, until then..im just at $55 net so far, guilty of spending $2 for a hot chocolate and peanut butter bar so theres $99.945 to go..there will be multiple streams of income so if i can get some to take off i can hire people to do the work for me whilst i work on other things/enjoy my life...

good luck to everyone on theyre journey to freedom...

[work hard & make people HAPPY] ''some guy in a red ferrari f430''
Cheers! I call those small income streams, my "dribble money." If you can put together some some income streams that come in a regular basis, and SAVE IT, you'll have a winning situation-- you'll have the "strutting money" to go out and do bigger stuff. One of my oldest and dearest friend teases me, that I spin straw into gold. Your business model that you just stumbled onto is also my secret formula for doing just that.

The biggest flaw that I see is your plan is to someday "hire" others to do the work in your absence. While the cat away, the mice will play, and the business will fall apart quickly. Only a very tight business system, that you consistently maintain, will give you the income stream you are yearning for...

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO

found something! https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/poop-off-bird-poop-remover

the dog crap thing ive seen some leashes that feature a bag on top, thinking to produce these and sell them with my own design. see way to many people in vancouver holding dog **** in theyre hands. really believe i can sell that.

just tried to find a product about dissolving crap and found a product! The Future Is Here: Your Dog's Poop, Vaporized

one thing ive picked up on is some products that ive thought of (fresh idea i havent heard of) *has already been done*
now ill state something from the book(s) ofc its not about re-inventing the wheel but improving it which is preached on this forum frequently. so! the above links are years old, (found another aswell but website closed down)

its all about executing! what did the previous people do wrong? i could make there product better, i could market it better..yada yada yada

thank you for the input!

That dog poop vaporizer seems like a pretty piss poor solution to me. I know from my time walking dogs around that in no situation would I ever want to carry around that big, shit-burning stick. Super inconvenient solution and not to mention, would you want to be seen with that thing? I'd probably laugh my a$$ off if I saw someone in the city walking his dog and carrying a vacuum cleaner for crap.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

thank you for the input!

What @Bdenner64 says. For some people even poo bags are too much to carry with them, let alone such poo mixer. On the other hand, melting poo away is way cooler to do than pick that shit up with a way too thin plastic bag.

I knew the bird remover exists. But is this something you would buy to leave in your car for example? This bird shit remover is made for birds in a cage, not to use on a car. Give me a bird shit remover in a small aerosol, specifically made to use on cars, and you will have my money.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
ah, a small portable cleaner you could leave in the car

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
ah brantford, been up there a few times for a poker tournament

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
will be pulling the trigger on importing products within the next couple of months, this will be a big step for me. wont be updating the thread for a while as all i need to do is work on researching etc (the boring parts) so dont think ive disappeared in the script! unless ive been eaten by a bear in the woods...

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
tough day at work, slapping 80 pound bags on top of a mixer and hauling cement via wheel barrow > pully 'ing' is that even a word? it to the 3rd floor of the apartment complex im working on. covered in cement, and rain living the good life. ha!

after work had a beer with the builder developer and my boss/crew. interesting convos about chinese lifestyle (so horrible compared to canadian) and general investment topics. vancouver real estate is hilariously overpriced.

Are there any problems/needs that the developer, boss, crew, or you face in the course of the project? Or just a better (different) way of doing things? Or any waste products/excess materials that are just getting thrown away that could potentially be repurposed?

In my (very) limited experience, 99% of things are done a certain way because that's the way things have always been done.

Always ask "why are things done this way?" and "Can I do it better?"

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
one tiny thing i thought of at work was a tape measure that could have a mini chalkboard type thing to write measurements on it rather than using a piece of paper or wood.

we do waste a little bit of cement, when i dump it in the machine a tiny bit usually falls down on the ground.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Ruh row, can't seem to find a job I want at a ski place, argh this is very bad.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I think the next best thing will be a job in food service, if I can eat at work for free an save money on food and dump 100% of my money from work into my "buisness" that would be the most efficient strategy I believe. Ah having the butterflies!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
If you are moving to Calgary and want a job just look at a warehouse. You can work 4-day shifts and they will pay you better than anywhere else, plus you can get a workout while doing your daily thing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.