The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

10 Years of Your Life - How It Should Change

Anything related to matters of the mind

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
My wife and I just had dinner with a fellow Fastlaner that we have known over 10 years. We caught up on on our lives and how our lives have changed over time. It struck me how much we have all changed.

For us, we became empty nesters and looking toward senior years. We have traveled a lot. We have developed several businesses that had different degrees of success. We have helped thousands of people with their own lives. We have updated the house we still live in that we built in 1991.

In 10 years we will have a couple of new ventures. We will have been "retired" for several years but still making a difference in people's lives. We will have visited all 50 states and several other countries. We will have perfected the art of staying comfortable in extreme climates.

Your life will be different in just 10 years. How your life will change will be up to you. How has life changed in the last 10 years? How do you see your life in 10 years?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Dieriba

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 26, 2019
I’m working with all my heart so in 10 years I’ll be able to travel whenever and wherever.
I want to be able to cook a lot recipes and eat all amazing food around the world.
I want to make a huge impact in this world change things that for me is just injustice.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
A quote I like:

Time will pass whether you're using it or not. In 10 years, you can see the results of your hard work, or you can sit there wishing you had started 10 years ago.

Many people (me included) are procrastinating and action faking big time to stay comfortable at the moment.
But this creates moments in the future that suck BIG TIME.
Think about this.

How would your NOW, this moment, be better if yesterday "sucked" because you made all the right choices, because you worked hard and smart on the most important thing and not the least uncomfortable thing, because you ate clean and your worked out?

Chances are you will feel way better NOW that you would have felt NOW if you slacked off yesterday.
Even through it sucked to work hard, to eat clean and to work out yesterday... it makes your NOW that much better.

IT'S WORTH IT!

Now imagine doing it for 10 years.
Truth to be told, you can't even imagine it. Because 10 years of living up to the best of your potential will change your life so radically and fundamentally that you can't predict where you will end up. But it will be a F*cking epic place. That's for sure.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just want to say that 10 years is a great guideline to determine if you're doing life right.

If you're practically the same person you were ten years ago with the same beliefs, same job, same life circumstances, same experience, you're NOT doing life right.

Every ten year version of "me" is different than the prior. From 20, to 30, to 40 to etc.

If you're growing as a person, intellectually, experience, spiritually, etc., your ten-year versions of yourself should be substantially different. Twenty year old me wouldn't recognize thirty year old me, and then forty-year old me. And that's good.

PS: I edited the thread title to be more descriptive about the topic.

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
I've seen people mention and advocate for having a loose 10 year timeline.
Some people like future authoring, I preferred 10 year plan after listening to the Tim Ferris podcast episode Your Ten-Year Plan .
The jist is just to write down what a day of your life exactly ten years from now will look like.

I'm glad to see that a lot of people here can look back on the decades and see a strong amount of growth, it further validates that this is a good path to me.

I can't say for certain what I will be doing in 10 years, but if it's even half as accomplished as what I wrote, I'll be a happy man.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

classichouse

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Feb 1, 2017
Germany
Hello,
I believe there is also the right time for every phase of life. If one says one divides the life into three phases: to 25, to 50, to 75.

Then the phase to 25 stands for me for learning and peaceful interactions with other humans.
The phase to 50 stands for growth in all areas of life and further learning.
The phase to 75 is for passing on and still learning new.

From the age of 75 I have no time left, because then I'm finished and lie comfortably with a good cigar on the beach and looks back happily on my fulfilled life.

One should in my opinion just never give up learning, it is always worthwhile, who knows maybe live from tomorrow the people for 500 years, one did not even imagine 5,000 years ago much older than 30 to become.

A pleasant evening

Classichouse

Gabry_ITA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Feb 28, 2019
Wow, 10 years...I can't answer because I have so many ideas, plans and projects that I don't know where I'll be in ten years from now.
I'm sure that things would be greatly different because this year will be a turning point: I'll leave my job in november (now I'm a common worker) and start my own firm in web development; Also we (me, my spouse and another person) will launch a website for artists.
So, things would be very different.
I only know one thing: if I'll continue to pursue freedom and work hard I'll be a better, smarter and, I hope, free person!
Good luck for all!

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
The younger me used to try to predict how my life would be in only 5 years. I was always way off and incorrect back then. Now I seem to have more control, not sure how though.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
This month, 10 years ago, I resigned from my first full-time job. I was so miserable that I had to quit without a backup plan. It felt like I had the entire weight of the world lifted off my shoulders. I then spent 2 years trying to work things out on my own - living at home with my parents and trying to make a move to California, which failed. I'm now 6 years in to a full-time job in the same field that I quit from earlier and, while I'm not miserable, I feel like I'm wasting my potential, that my dreams are being lost, and that I'm losing control of what I want most in life.

On the other hand, within that same time frame, I got a pilot's license, ran 3 half-marathons and 1 sprint triathlon, bought a house, got married, had my first child, have another on the way, rescued a dog from another country, and probably a few other things I left out. I have a lot to be thankful for and the job I am in today allowed for all of those milestones and memories.

There is just that one burning desire, though, that I want out of a job I don't like to go after what I am most interested in, to try to provide more value to the world. I know there is more out there for me. I just feel so stuck in the job I have and feel so tired all the time. I am so afraid of waking up one day and regretting never trying to make it work, to have a better life where I'm not stressed and tired all the time, to be a better man to my family. I don't want to look back 10 years from now and wish I started 10 years ago, but every day I say, "Someday..."

classichouse

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Feb 1, 2017
Germany
This month, 10 years ago, I resigned from my first full-time job. I was so miserable that I had to quit without a backup plan. It felt like I had the entire weight of the world lifted off my shoulders. I then spent 2 years trying to work things out on my own - living at home with my parents and trying to make a move to California, which failed. I'm now 6 years in to a full-time job in the same field that I quit from earlier and, while I'm not miserable, I feel like I'm wasting my potential, that my dreams are being lost, and that I'm losing control of what I want most in life.

On the other hand, within that same time frame, I got a pilot's license, ran 3 half-marathons and 1 sprint triathlon, bought a house, got married, had my first child, have another on the way, rescued a dog from another country, and probably a few other things I left out. I have a lot to be thankful for and the job I am in today allowed for all of those milestones and memories.

There is just that one burning desire, though, that I want out of a job I don't like to go after what I am most interested in, to try to provide more value to the world. I know there is more out there for me. I just feel so stuck in the job I have and feel so tired all the time. I am so afraid of waking up one day and regretting never trying to make it work, to have a better life where I'm not stressed and tired all the time, to be a better man to my family. I don't want to look back 10 years from now and wish I started 10 years ago, but every day I say, "Someday..."

Being self-employed is not always great. If you can achieve your personal goals with a job, that's no reason to talk badly. So stay calm and work towards the right business. I call that the crocodile strategy. I'd rather wait and see, and then make the big booty. Best regards!

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Cool post.

Just a few weeks ago I sat down for the biggest goal-setting session of my life. I'm moving quickly now so I want to make sure I'm going in the right direction.

I started off isolating myself with a huge whiteboard. I drew a timeline starting from 18 years old to 30, my age now. 13 years.

I included milestones like jobs I had, relationships I was in, and how I felt. Then I stood back and looked at it. A few things stuck out to me:

1. I could break down my growth periods. There seemed to be three. 18-24, 24-28, and 28-30. During these periods I was essentially 3 different people which I think is pretty normal as they kind of line up with the main developmental periods of the male brain... What coincided with testosterone topping out around 28 was discovering TMF and realizing that I didn't need to stick with the slow-lane doctrine that was spoon fed to me by the adults in my life.

2. There were large periods of time where I didn't do anything I was particularly excited about or proud of. Don't get me wrong, I did a lot of cool stuff that I'm grateful to have experienced, but I also wasted a lot of youthful time.

3. I had never thought more than a week or two into the future until I was about 28. Then it started to grow. 1 month, 2 months, 6 months...

Now I'm thinking through the rest of my life.

The next exercise I did was I duplicated the timeline three times:
#2 was 32 to 45
#3 was 46 to 59
#4 was 60 to 73 (I hope I live this long!)

My first thought was "Holy shit I am about 1/3 my way through my adult life!" Talk about a fire under the a$$.

I wrote down some milestones, like when I expect to start having children, soon, and how much $ I want to have to make sure my family is provided for. I included everything very generously. I want to be able to pay for both of my parents full retirements, my retirements, college for 4 kids, emergency health issues, basic necessities.

I started putting things on the board. $ numbers I strive for are large and the goals I set to attain them are huge.

At this point I started breaking it down, all the way to 1/4 years and months. I have an action plan to reach my goals all the way out to my 70's. I've never thought this far ahead but looking behind made me realize that I should. I'm even started looking out beyond my own life. That must be the next stage.

10 years ago I was certainly a different person. 2 Years ago I was a different person. 6 months ago I was a different person. No doubt that in another 10 years I'll look back and see the dramatic changes that have taken place, if I'm lucky enough to still be around.

Insidious

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 3, 2019
Asheville, NC
Funny, I was just thinking about starting a thread called HELP! I've only got 10 Years to make it, what do I do!? as a counterpoint to the rushed/everything now thinking.

I'm a fan of plans, but as the saying goes 'no plan survives first contact', so there's a lot of 'adapt and overcome' these days.

Changes from ten years ago:
I'm now VERY deliberate about self-care (diet, exercise, stress relief) even during crunch time. Also true for SCHEDULING and sticking to social time & rejuvenation time ("vacation"). Too many of the last ten years were endless work (there's always more to do) where I was so in the work zone that I completely forgot to do anything BUT work.

Making this doubly bad, it turns out I was killing it 'running the wrong race'. This one is definitely a MFT lesson. Are you running the Boston Marathon, or did you stumble into your local preschools fun-run in the park by mistake? Are you building something that will benefit you, or turning yourself into an even better/more efficient cog in someone else's machine?

Shifts in the next ten:
- Learning new languages. Want to see what my brain comes up with when it's thinking in other languages.

- Probably going to try living in Europe, which may be a reflection of getting older. =) All the places I've lived overseas have been in the developing world.

- Time for the garden to go with the library (but permaculture for me, not into weeding!). I love nature. More time outside. For the love of god, will someone please start selling transflective laptop screens again, or feel free to invent something better.. but TAKE MY MONEY!

- Shifting to patriarchal pursuits: I've been mentoring for a number of years, that needs to expand. May also get involved in 'community' affairs, though for me that's the 'community of man'. This may also mean more employees. There's a big need for good leaders. Drucker has a lot to say about this in The Effective Executive (HIGHLY recommended). Also there are some great examples on this list by Jim Collins Jim Collins - Articles - The 10 Greatest CEOs of All Time

- Getting even healthier & more 'in shape'. There is no 'upper limit' for health.

- And of course, getting richer financially. Yes, the zombie apocalypse may come, the markets may melt, civilization may fall, but guess what, people will still have needs & desires that have to be met..so ask yourself Who runs bartertown!?

;)

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
but every day I say, "Today...it will happen"
giphy.gif

BLIM

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
May 24, 2018
Singapore
Consistent create habit [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
- And of course, getting richer financially. Yes, the zombie apocalypse may come, the markets may melt, civilization may fall, but guess what, people will still have needs & desires that have to be met..so ask yourself Who runs bartertown!?
Reminds me of the first couple chapters of Black Hawk Down.

The Somali warlords controlled the food and water supply of the region. They caused a famine in the area.

Some Navy Admiral was like , "We need to go after this guy. Let's get the Army's Delta Force to take this guy."

Then last minute the Pentagon was like, "Hey yeah we'll give you everything: 75th Ranger Regiment, 106th SOAR, 10th Mountain Division. But the raid has to be during the day"

Delta was like, "We've been practicing this raid for the past few months at night. Now you switch it to the day. What's up with this?"

During the raid, "Hey man some local guy gave us some bad intel. Our humvee driver turned left at the wrong street."

SOAR Pilot: "Some local guy fired an RPG. Our Black Hawk is going down."

Ranger:"Now we have to fight through this entire city."

The rest of the story is history.

Bramxq

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Oct 24, 2017
Netherlands
Im 23 now, the past 3 to 4 years I become fit, disciplined and working hard. My "friends" are saying: Omg you changed so much, who are you now? First I thought this was wrong, but than I realized I changed for the better and they stuck in the same place and projecting that insecure on me

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.