The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

10 Ways to Get Rich-Warren Buffett

CardinalsFan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 6, 2008
Charlotte
Sorry I haven't been on in a while, I figured I would post something useful.

The following is my outline and notes from an article I read in Parade Magazine

1) Reinvest your profits

-when you first make money, you may be tempted to spend it. Don't. Roll that money back into your projects or invest it into something else that will make you more money.

2) Be willing to be different

-don't make your decisions based on what everyone else is doing. Look for undervalued, investments. The average is what everybody else is doing, if you want to be average then go ahead and follow the crowd.

3) Never suck you thumb

-gather in advance all the info you need to make a decision, and ask a friend or relative to make sure that you stick to a deadline. Buffett calls any unnecessary sitting and thinking 'thumb sucking'

4) Spell out the deal before you start

-your bargaining leverage is always greatest before you start a job because thats when you have something to offer that the other party wants

5) Watch small expenses

-exercising vigilance over every expense to make profits bigger, keeping track of small things also helps you know whos cheating you.

6) Limit what you borrow

-
negotiate with creditors to pay what you can. then when you are debt free, work on saving money that you can invest.

7) Be persistant

-with tenacity and ingenuity, you can win against a more established competitor. Think outside the box to solve your problems

8) Know when to quit

-know when to walk away from a loss. dont let anxiety fool you into trying again unprepared.

9) Asses the Risks

-asking yourself "and then what?" in each situation can help you see all the possible consequences when you are trying to make a decision. this can help guide you to make smarter choices

10) Know what success really means

-dispite his wealth Buffet doesn't measure success in dollars but in his loved ones. "when you get to my age, you'll measure your success in life by how many of the people you want to have love you actually do love you"

I know these are all basic fastlane principles, but I hope it was useful to somebody. Again this is from Parade Magazine

:banana:<--just for fun

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
Kimber, maybe he wrote these for a consumer finance article or something...

I agree with #5 at the moment... small expenses can snowball quickly!

CardinalsFan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 6, 2008
Charlotte
He advises to pay off debt first?
(#6)

yea he said to stay away from debt, especially for non-investments. He also said if you are to go into debt for an investment, do your due diligence. Study every angle of the investment and make the proper decision.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

g-dogg

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 24, 2008
#1 reminds me of a book i read, "the richest man in Babylon", and #8 is the #1 rule of the market "cut your losses short and let your winners run"

KLPInvestments

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jan 22, 2008
Buffett'sBerkshire Hathaway is not always a debt free corporation. Buffett has no problem borrowing at low rates to allocate that money at higher returns than the interest rate of the debt.

Having said that, a large portion of Berkshire's business is in insurance. This means he has access to the float. The float is premiums paid in by clients. Money waiting in a holding pool to eventually be paid out in claims. Buffett uses the float money to invest in other businesses or stocks. It is essentially an 'interest free' loan. Berkshire keeps all the profits and returns the principle back into the float pool. This is an incredible form of leverage!!

Buffett is not against debt. He often borrows money when he does not need it. If rates are low he will borrow. It's better to not need it and get the money at low rates than to wait til you need it and have to pay the going rate, which could be higher at the time of need. Buffet is a value investor. He buys businesses when he can get them at a good price...and he occassionally borrows when he can borrow at a good price(interest rate).

Finally, Berkshire Hathaway is a financial fortress. They have a triple A credit rating and billions of cash on the balance sheet. His company is in great financial condition, as is his wallet.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.