The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

10 reasons you shold never get a job

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Do you think it is good to copy, word-for-word, what someone else wrote, post it, and then not disclaim you didn't write it?

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
What was it?

I know one reason you should not get a job is because you limit yourself by the hour.

If you work for 12 dollars an hour. Then you limit yourself to 12 dollars an hour and nothing more.

But when you have your own thing going on, you have no limits to what you can make

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm about 98% sure it's a Steve Pavlina article, same title as this thread. You can find it here:

10 Reasons You Should Never Get a Job

This article was actually the reason why I quit my job two years ago, and spent 8 months trying to learn how to use SEO and make websites. I made like $10, but it led me to doing what I'm doing now, which makes quite a bit more. Check it out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Well I dont know if I will get bashed for this..

But the only time I think it is necessary to get a job is when you have a family and have no money to feed your family.

Then from their you can think of income streams while still being able to put food on the table

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Well I dont know if I will get bashed for this..

But the only time I think it is necessary to get a job is when you have a family and have no money to feed your family.

Then from their you can think of income streams while still being able to put food on the table

Absolutely. Getting a job might necessary in your journey to the fastlane. However, it's important to know that it's a stepping stone. You work the job, and then you work twice as hard on your fastlane business.

D

DeletedUser394

I'm going to have to disagree with everyone.

Having a job teaches you many valuable lessons (at least in my case). I'm only listing two because I'm lazy and exhausted.

#1: You quickly learn the value of a dollar.

Before my first job, I had no concept of what a dollar was worth. I had amassed $5,000 through stupid businesses when I was younger (selling crafts, etc).

The money quickly disappeared once I spent it all.

Oh the shock when I realized that with a job I'd only be making $9/hour, and that it would take me a really really REALLY long time to save up my money from this job in order to get that $5,000 back.

That quickly taught me the value of a dollar.

#2 Having a job makes you realize how much you really don't want to have to have a job.

I don't like the 9-5 grind. How do I know I don't like it? Because I had a job doing exactly that.

Now, I work when I want, for myself, and not for someone else.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm going to have to disagree with everyone.

Having a job teaches you many valuable lessons (at least in my case). I'm only listing two because I'm lazy and exhausted.

#1: You quickly learn the value of a dollar.

Before my first job, I had no concept of what a dollar was worth. I had amassed $5,000 through stupid businesses when I was younger (selling crafts, etc).

The money quickly disappeared once I spent it all.

Oh the shock when I realized that with a job I'd only be making $9/hour, and that it would take me a really really REALLY long time to save up my money from this job in order to get that $5,000 back.

That quickly taught me the value of a dollar.

#2 Having a job makes you realize how much you really don't want to have to have a job.

I don't like the 9-5 grind. How do I know I don't like it? Because I had a job doing exactly that.

Now, I work when I want, for myself, and not for someone else.

Well I'm going to have to agree with you. If that works out.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Dont forget that if your young, you get to meet and talk to girls.

I wonder why walmart girls are always hitting at me

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Hmm.....
I agree that you agree to agree that we all agree to agree

taichijedi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Feb 22, 2008
Philadelphia
I concur!!

In legal research, there is a theory that "you know what you were looking for when you find it." This sounds very similar, because in the process of "finding what you were looking for" you find tons of crap you didn't want. That is the same as the job we are talking about. The job keeps food on the table, and it keeps the light on, so you can find what you are looking for in you fastlane plan.

It is a means to an end, that is all. As long as it doesn't become more than that, you still have a chance to excel.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
From my experience.

Never take flyer jobs.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I think the problem in this country is too many people are not willing to work a hard job. Unemployment is high and yet people are not willing to go work at McDonald's or load trucks at Fed Ex. They are lazy and want a job sitting behind a desk so they can message people and post on forums all day.

I think people need to understand that they should not be ashamed to work hard for someone else. But they also need to understand that if they are seeking wealth, then trading your time for money is not a fastlane principle.

Working for other people is ok, depending on the situation you are in. Let's say you have a passion for a business idea you have been dreaming about and working on for years. You know that you need $50k to start it. Going to work for a few years for someone else to save that money is a means to an end. After a few years and you have that amount of money, then it is time to break away from the job that most get sucked into all their lives, and make it happen. Most will like the comfort of knowing where their next paycheck comes from and that they have $50k in the bank, so they will decide to play it safe.

A strong willed entrepreneur will stick to his/her guns, quit the day job and begin working on his own business... sinking in his 3 years of savings.

dyva7

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 13, 2011
I agree, Rem, people are LAZY. Most of them would not even take a job on straight commission where their salary may be unlimited such as sales because they don't want to work hard. I've heard people say they prefer to sit behind a desk and pretend to work so long as there is a paycheck at the end of the week.

Neon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 22, 2011
I think the problem in this country is too many people are not willing to work a hard job. Unemployment is high and yet people are not willing to go work at McDonald's or load trucks at Fed Ex. They are lazy and want a job sitting behind a desk so they can message people and post on forums all day.

I used to think this same thing, but now not so much. Sure, there's a lot of lazy people in the US sitting on their a$$ collecting welfare. But I would say outside of a country like China where people are working in sweatshops 100 hours per week, you aren't going to find any harder working people outside of the US.

How many moms are working 3 jobs to support their kids? Too many. I know too many people that are working a 9-5 and then taking a night job and getting like 4 hours of sleep because that's what it takes for them to support their family.

Having spent some time in Europe the "hard work" vibe was not there. People took long lunches no matter where they worked, they often had Wednesday off in addition to the weekend and are usually given a required amount of summer vacation. The people I've met from Germany, etc. all commented on how hard Americans worked.

I'm not saying that what happens in the USA is necessarily healthy, but I do think we have some really hard workers here. That's just tarnished by a lazy minority that wants to live off of other people.

You might be surprised how tough it is to get crap jobs in some places in the US. I had a friend apply to work at a big box store just doing cleaning or whatever they could offer. He called back later to check on his app status and was told 1200 people applied for the position...the work simply isn't out there in this economy.

All the more reason to get your own business going and decide your own fate I say.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
I see jobs as instant money to cover living expenses (i.e. short term income)

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Titles like this are crap.

If you need money for your biz idea you can earn it with a job.

The point is it needs to be temporary.

Plus, it's about understanding the value of a dollar and what learning means for your life.

Last but not least, I have all the respect in the world for people working a job and working their a$$ off on their businesss venture.

Never forget the pressure you have financially if you have a family to feed.

Never get a job is a hyped up crap title to feed big dreams, all selfmade millionaires and billionaires had jobs in their life.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.