The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Inside the Mind of the $20 Billion Dollar Man: Elon Musk Internal Letter to Employees

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

SouthernCharm

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 28, 2017
North Carolina
From the horse's mouth:

Tesla alone has received ~$2.4B in government incentives and credits: Complete breakdown of the $4.9 billion in government support the LA Times claims Elon Musk’s companies are receiving

Who is paying for those incentives and credits?

I'm not hating on Elon, I like his vision and the products. However, I disagree with the blind praise and adoration for Musk, and how he consistently overpromises and under-delivers. He's not the supremely moral and benevolent genius that the media makes him out to be.

Agree that Elon probably gets more than his fair share of passes and praise due to the sheer magnitude of his endeavors and his general badassery. However, saying that he has squandered government money because he uses contractors and subcontractors is a little off the mark. I have worked as a consultant for all types of Fortune 1000 companies. Every large business uses a preposterous amount of contractors, consultants and subcontractors. Almost all of those contractors and consultants (our firm included) also use subcontractors. So with that logic, we'd have to say any company that has ever used the services of a consulting firm and has been incentivized by the government in some way has squandered money.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
At this point Elon is living in the Unscripted realm ... he's playing with FU money and FU time, pursuing passions and ventures that might never be profitable.

If the gubbermint says, "Hey, you wanna few extra billion to play in your sandbox?" who would refuse?

Bennu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Apr 19, 2018
Elon really has his stuff together. Two of the things giving me impetus is I want a Tesla and I want to take a SpaceX flight.

He's so right about meetings. Having been in companies that were addicted to endless meetings about stuff that could have been easily relayed in an email, I completely agree with him. Same about chain of command. When I had ideas, chain of command only made sure that I didn't get credit for them.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
People respect action takers that tackle tough things. I heard this quote in a podcast, "Nobody looks up to the millionaire that's sits on the beach all day".

I'm a Musk fan, and I don't mean this to be political but let's just compare Musk's businesses to a handful of other billionaires. Suppose the government gave 10 billionaires, $2.4B in grants. How many would put that money to better use in R&D for the future. Isn't this what we want our money spent on?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.