The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hi everyone

Rosie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 14, 2017
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

I'm Rosie, 29, from the UK. What brought me here was my looking for an escape from my degree program.

A little about me if you're interested. I'm currently a second year podiatry student. I missed my exams due to my Dad's illness. I don't know if I'm going back because I'm completely ambivalent about the course and the establishment. Despite my uncertainty throughout the course, I kept on giving it a chance because I simply feared not knowing what else to do. At the age of 29 I "should" have my shit sorted by now. A stupid expectation I know. I feared if I quit I'd be back to square one and have to get another menial job. TMFL inspired me.

I finished TMFL a few weeks ago and have been reading through the forum ever since. Thank you to each and every one of you for your generosity and knowledge. I know I'm onto a good thing.

My only problem now is me. I have been paralysed by not knowing what to do first and have been piling an insane amount of pressure on myself. I get upset and beat myself up when I don't deliver. How can I deliver when the expectations are so high?! I also have little self belief. This is a massive obstacle and I know I need to start believing in me or I'll get nowhere.

Time and again I have seen on posts here about simply starting by helping others. I'm going to do this, ease up on myself a bit and see how things unfold.

Look forward to getting to know you all :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ascension

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
Hey Rosie, welcome to the forum :)

Maybe try to start by figuring out what you want out of life. How would your perfect life look like? (I know, easier said then done)
After that you have a great starting point from which you can reverse engineer the process necessary to get there. Apart from having something to work towards you'll also get an idea how much money/income is necessary to fullfill that dream.

You might find out that you are way closer than you think.
If for example you dream would be to backpack through the lands you could pretty much go right now and find seasonal work wherever you are

After you have the process layed out, break it down into small, manageable steps. The end goal can be a source of motivation but may seem daunting at first. Don't beat yourself up because you aren't there yet. Just take constant action, each tiny step how insignificant it might seem brings you closer to your goals. This will also build your confidence immensly!

Oh, and don't compare yourself to others except if it motivates you. No one but you has lived your life. Your situation, experiences and dreams are unique to yourself and therefore you have your own path and pace at which you advance through life. Just be happy that you're making progress and enjoy the ride with all its ups and downs :)

Davidlee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jun 7, 2017
Singapore
Welcome Rosie! I am 29 too! I totally understand when you mention "I have been paralysed by not knowing what to do first". I kept thinking what if thats not the right way or the best way to do it, and I keep looking for more answers. What I realise that works is following the formula (Actions > Thinking). Layout the 3 best choices I have currently based on my current experience and knowledge, choose 1 and go ahead with it. If it works thats great, if it doesn't work, at least we learn and find better options ahead. All the best to you! Lets grow together in this forum =D

Nily

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 27, 2016
Sydney
Hey everyone,

I'm Rosie, 29, from the UK. What brought me here was my looking for an escape from my degree program.

A little about me if you're interested. I'm currently a second year podiatry student. I missed my exams due to my Dad's illness. I don't know if I'm going back because I'm completely ambivalent about the course and the establishment. Despite my uncertainty throughout the course, I kept on giving it a chance because I simply feared not knowing what else to do. At the age of 29 I "should" have my shit sorted by now. A stupid expectation I know. I feared if I quit I'd be back to square one and have to get another menial job. TMFL inspired me.

I finished TMFL a few weeks ago and have been reading through the forum ever since. Thank you to each and every one of you for your generosity and knowledge. I know I'm onto a good thing.

My only problem now is me. I have been paralysed by not knowing what to do first and have been piling an insane amount of pressure on myself. I get upset and beat myself up when I don't deliver. How can I deliver when the expectations are so high?! I also have little self belief. This is a massive obstacle and I know I need to start believing in me or I'll get nowhere.

Time and again I have seen on posts here about simply starting by helping others. I'm going to do this, ease up on myself a bit and see how things unfold.

Look forward to getting to know you all :)
Dropped out of my graduate law degree a week ago at the ripe old age of 24 - so you're not alone.

Just like you, I am experiencing some pressure because I want to earn enough money to justify my decision of dropping out. But remember all this pressure is self-imposed. You are experiencing this much pressure because you are at a crossroad. You want something incredible happen so you can shut up all your relatives and friends, who thought you were stupid to drop out and screwed yourself out of a good career. You are craving for an event just for the sake of it.

But in the marketplace, you are invisible. No one knows who you are and what you are doing right now. And that's a good thing. The market only cares about what you can do for them. Everyday they are forking out thousands of dollars buying products and services that are sub-par in quality and they continue to buy them because there are no better choices. And this is where you come in.

This anonymity allows you to work on your business and test the market without any consequences, except your time. Within 12 months you can explode on to the scene and surprise everyone with your offerings. As you get deeper into the game, the values of your products and services will skyrocket. You start to separate yourself from your business. Your customer service gets better. And your customers will love you for it. So embrace this period of uncertainty and the shit storm that is yet to come.

Hopefully that alleviates some pressure. And welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

Rosie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 14, 2017
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your replies. Getting so
Hey Rosie, welcome to the forum :)

Maybe try to start by figuring out what you want out of life. How would your perfect life look like? (I know, easier said then done)
After that you have a great starting point from which you can reverse engineer the process necessary to get there. Apart from having something to work towards you'll also get an idea how much money/income is necessary to fullfill that dream.

You might find out that you are way closer than you think.
If for example you dream would be to backpack through the lands you could pretty much go right now and find seasonal work wherever you are

After you have the process layed out, break it down into small, manageable steps. The end goal can be a source of motivation but may seem daunting at first. Don't beat yourself up because you aren't there yet. Just take constant action, each tiny step how insignificant it might seem brings you closer to your goals. This will also build your confidence immensly!

Oh, and don't compare yourself to others except if it motivates you. No one but you has lived your life. Your situation, experiences and dreams are unique to yourself and therefore you have your own path and pace at which you advance through life. Just be happy that you're making progress and enjoy the ride with all its ups and downs :)

Hey Ascension,

Thank you for the kind reply. I wrote down what I want and I worked out how much I'd need for my money system (a cool £115,00 a month, ha!) which is extremely daunting.

You are so right about the small, manageable steps. Even the tiniest step is still a step.

Thanks again :)

Rosie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 14, 2017
United Kingdom
Welcome Rosie! I am 29 too! I totally understand when you mention "I have been paralysed by not knowing what to do first". I kept thinking what if thats not the right way or the best way to do it, and I keep looking for more answers. What I realise that works is following the formula (Actions > Thinking). Layout the 3 best choices I have currently based on my current experience and knowledge, choose 1 and go ahead with it. If it works thats great, if it doesn't work, at least we learn and find better options ahead. All the best to you! Lets grow together in this forum =D

Thank you for the response Davidlee. I will take your advice on this. It's all about learning as we go along. All the best to you too!

Dropped out of my graduate law degree a week ago at the ripe old age of 24 - so you're not alone.

Just like you, I am experiencing some pressure because I want to earn enough money to justify my decision of dropping out. But remember all this pressure is self-imposed. You are experiencing this much pressure because you are at a crossroad. You want something incredible happen so you can shut up all your relatives and friends, who thought you were stupid to drop out and screwed yourself out of a good career. You are craving for an event just for the sake of it.

But in the marketplace, you are invisible. No one knows who you are and what you are doing right now. And that's a good thing. The market only cares about what you can do for them. Everyday they are forking out thousands of dollars buying products and services that are sub-par in quality and they continue to buy them because there are no better choices. And this is where you come in.

This anonymity allows you to work on your business and test the market without any consequences, except your time. Within 12 months you can explode on to the scene and surprise everyone with your offerings. As you get deeper into the game, the values of your products and services will skyrocket. You start to separate yourself from your business. Your customer service gets better. And your customers will love you for it. So embrace this period of uncertainty and the shit storm that is yet to come.

Hopefully that alleviates some pressure. And welcome to the forum!

Hey Nily,

Good on you for making the leap! Were you able to make the decision fairly quickly?

Haha, you are right on the mark with what you're saying about wanting something incredible to happen to shut all your relatives up. Mine keep saying "you might as well finish it now, it's only a year to go!" Blah blah blah.

Love what you're saying and thanks for your reply, you've given me some food for thought.

Nily

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 27, 2016
Sydney
Thank you for the response Davidlee. I will take your advice on this. It's all about learning as we go along. All the best to you too!

Hey Nily,

Good on you for making the leap! Were you able to make the decision fairly quickly?

Haha, you are right on the mark with what you're saying about wanting something incredible to happen to shut all your relatives up. Mine keep saying "you might as well finish it now, it's only a year to go!" Blah blah blah.

Love what you're saying and thanks for your reply, you've given me some food for thought.

It took me 2 years to take the leap (deferred 6 months for full time work).

After researching salary reports for lawyers, I realised that I couldn't cash down a $1 million apartment (average price in Sydney) and a fully paid Audi R8 by the time I turn 35 as a lawyer. So I went through the five stages of grief to bury my lawyer dream. Then I took the leap halfway through my degree despite huge resistance from my parents. Now I'm happier than ever.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...