The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I want to put my life on HOLD for a year

Bantty

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 12, 2024
Hello everyone. i just want your input and advice on this please. any decision i make here and any step i take in this will be very critical for my life.

i will try to make it very short and straight forward.

- i'm from Nigeria

- i started university at 2019

- i then start my business in 2020

- I'm a smartphone and laptop software and hardware technician

- i only open my shop during the holidays or anytime i'm free from school work

- i have hundred of customers anytime i opened

- my business is making me good amount of money and it's flourishing

- now i graduated from the university November 2023

Now the problem

- in my country there's a "mandatory" youth service for any citizen who graduated from the university

- he/she will be posted to another state/region of the country to experience a diverse culture which will boosts unity of the country [ that's the service ]

- its for a period of 1 year

- but there are exemption, which are;
1. you are more than 30yrs old and
2. you can just go to the office and tell them you don't want to go due to bla bla bla.. and they will give you an exemption letter and your certificate, finish. (well, it's not so mandatory).

NoW

- Me i don't want to go, because after my graduation last year November i have been stable and diligent in my business and i'm making good money

- everybody know me now in my area and i'm now the go to guy for my service

- i even want to expand it

- i have gotten several request from people wanting to be my apprentice.

- i accepted 1 and rejected 3, because of the issue i need advice from.

The Issue

- My Family is overpressuring me to go for the service. ( i still live with my parent though)

- my dad say i have wasted his money and i have disgrace him among his friends if i don't go.

- everybody is asking me when will i go for my service

- truth is, it's like every youth dream to go for service here

- you are deem as not a complete graduate if you didn't serve the country

- and again the country do pay serving graduate for a laughable $40 monthly and this covers all your expenses for a month. but there is free accommodation ( not in all state ).

- in my business i make quadruple that amount monthly

- my kind of business require me to be present there,, because I'm the expert

- it will be hard to see another expert who is available, and will have to come to my shop and be there in place of me, i can only see people who are not so good, and i don't know if they're honest, i don't want to spoil my shop reputation

- i don't want to go because i feel its a waste of time, 1 year in a new region, doing nothing and abandoning my moving business and allowing my business to die.

- I've just got a new competition now and he is also good, but i'm still the popular guy, cus I've been long here

- i just want to go take an exemption from the service and continue my business but my family and the society is pressuring me to put my life on hold for a year. going to another region, wearing the service uniform ( its a pride for most youth here), staying there for a year, doing community service, Forestering unity and all several bulllshhhhti

please what do you think i should do, my family is expecting to hear from me.. i need to make a decision before the 17th of April, because that's when the can registeration starts

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I know it's a cultural thing and social ostracism is probably crazy in Nigeria.

Having said that, there are few scripts that are more idiotic than "serving" your country. That same country would happily send you to die fighting over imaginary borders.

Everyone around you expects you to do something for their own status without caring about what you want and what you're building.

I say screw them but I know how strong social pressure is. Unless you're really strong-minded, in the end you'll probably bend to their will and lose not only one year of your life but also a flourishing business (which isn't that common; if you have something working better stick to it).

I would take an exemption, double down on your business, and crush it so hard that eventually those criticizing you will start asking you for money and then claiming they've been supporting you all the time lol.

I dropped out after 1.5 years of studying despite my parents' pressure to keep studying. I don't know where would I be had I finished studying but I know one thing for sure: I'd be F*cked. And instead, I'm definitely NOT F*cked and live a life of my dreams.

But I'm much older than you and have already realized that putting yourself first is essential to being your own man. Sometimes you can only learn that after experiencing deep regret bending to someone's will only to realize they never really cared that much about you and only about what others think.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Thanks for sharing.

Honestly reading your post...I think you know deep down what to do next.

If I was a dad, my first priority would be for my son to be able to fend for himself and have a decent income (Fastlane can come eventually). I don't get it why I would get my son into something he hates-- just to save face in front of everyone. Public pride comes and goes.

That being said:

If you plan to continue doing business locally in the next years to come, perhaps the status of having gone to that youth service can serve as a credibility marker. Something that helps you network or even find your future biz partners.

I write copy for some Singapore gurus-- and sometimes they bring up their national service military ranks in their origins story sales pitches.

Bantty

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 12, 2024
Thanks for sharing.

If I was a dad, my first priority would be for my son to be able to fend for himself and have a decent income (Fastlane can come eventually). I don't get it why I would get my son into something he hates-- just to save face in front of everyone. Public pride comes and goes.

That being said:

If you plan to continue doing business locally in the next years to come, perhaps the status of having gone to that youth service can serve as a credibility marker. Something that helps you network or even find your future biz partners.

I write copy for some Singapore gurus-- and sometimes they bring up their national service military ranks in their origins story sales pitches.
Thank you for your input sir.. my dad don't just get it, nobody does. only my elder sister, and her input at home seems irrelevant to everyone.
I know it's a cultural thing and social ostracism is probably crazy in Nigeria.

Having said that, there are few scripts that are more idiotic than "serving" your country. That same country would happily send you to die fighting over imaginary borders.

Everyone around you expects you to do something for their own status without caring about what you want and what you're building.

I say screw them but I know how strong social pressure is. Unless you're really strong-minded, in the end you'll probably bend to their will and lose not only one year of your life but also a flourishing business (which isn't that common; if you have something working better stick to it).

I would take an exemption, double down on your business, and crush it so hard that eventually those criticizing you will start asking you for money and then claiming they've been supporting you all the time lol.

I dropped out after 1.5 years of studying despite my parents' pressure to keep studying. I don't know where would I be had I finished studying but I know one thing for sure: I'd be F*cked. And instead, I'm definitely NOT F*cked and live a life of my dreams.

But I'm much older than you and have already realized that putting yourself first is essential to being your own man. Sometimes you can only learn that after experiencing deep regret bending to someone's will only to realize they never really cared that much about you and only about what others think.
its scary man, my dad say's i can do anything i want and he will support me, but i must go for the service. that after the 1 year service then i'm free to chase anything i want.

they're also saying that when i was still in the university, i do close my shop with for months and come back when it's holiday and still get customers and that my customers will always come, even if i leave for 1 year.

my head is just Full right now

Bantty

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 12, 2024
Thanks for sharing.

That being said:

And yes, many companies demand the service certificate for some positions. but if you apply for exemption, you are going to be given the certificate eitherway.

and well its not a must i need to apply on the 17th april. if i miss to apply with that batch. i can still apply with the next batch or next year or anytime, as far i'm still in the age bracket

Pius perfect

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 24, 2021
I can relate very well to everything you just shared I'm also Nigerian and I just rounded up my one year service to the nation, I think you can easily redeploy back to your state after the 21days camping in which ever state you're posted to, by so doing you can continue building your business and serving at the same time.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Hello everyone. i just want your input and advice on this please. any decision i make here and any step i take in this will be very critical for my life.

- i'm from Nigeria

Now the problem

- in my country there's a "mandatory" youth service for any citizen who graduated from the university

- he/she will be posted to another state/region of the country to experience a diverse culture which will boosts unity of the country [ that's the service ]

2. you can just go to the office and tell them you don't want to go due to bla bla bla.. and they will give you an exemption letter and your certificate, finish. (well, it's not so mandatory).

NoW

- Me i don't want to go, because after my graduation last year November i have been stable and diligent in my business and i'm making good money

The Issue

- My Family is overpressuring me to go for the service. ( i still live with my parent though)

- my dad say i have wasted his money and i have disgrace him among his friends if i don't go.

- and again the country do pay serving graduate for a laughable $40 monthly and this covers all your expenses for a month. but there is free accommodation ( not in all state ).

- it will be hard to see another expert who is available, and will have to come to my shop and be there in place of me, i can only see people who are not so good, and i don't know if they're honest, i don't want to spoil my shop reputation

- i don't want to go because i feel its a waste of time, 1 year in a new region, doing nothing and abandoning my moving business and allowing my business to die.

- I've just got a new competition now and he is also good, but i'm still the popular guy, cus I've been long here

- i just want to go take an exemption from the service and continue my business but my family and the society is pressuring me to put my life on hold for a year. going to another region, wearing the service uniform ( its a pride for most youth here), staying there for a year, doing community service, Forestering unity and all several bulllshhhhti

please what do you think i should do, my family is expecting to hear from me.. i need to make a decision before the 17th of April, because that's when the can registeration starts
I'll be honest, if you make $160 a month then it's not too bad to stop for a year.
It may be a lot of money to you but on a more world based scale is nothing. I don't mean to bully you, I respect your progress heavily and I assume in Nigeria this is a good ammount of money.

However, I make that ammout of money in an afternoon cleaning windows. You can make 10x more money by doing really anything online easily. Some hustles you could try are Instagram page building/flipping (you grow a theme page and then sell it to someone or use it to sell products), youtube thumbnail design, web design etc.
If you make youtube thumbnails for $9 a piece you will double your income if you do ten a week. And you can do it from your phone while doing service.

I can't and won't make a choice for you but give maybe this is some food for thought for you.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
IDK sounds kinda fun. Always nice to get out and see some new parts of the whole or your country while you are young.

Maybe just do it and combine it with some online business.

realbillperry

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 6, 2024
When you're 70, 80 etc years old, most of the ones giving you grief about this won't even be around anymore. Then you'll look back and think about that time in your life you did X or Y. And you'll think about if you did X or Y for them or for yourself.

Jeff Bezos calls this something like the Regret Minimization Framework. Do whatever you won't regret when you're 70 or 80.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

- i'm from Nigeria

Now the problem

NoW

The Issue

Is it a religious service or military?

It’s a very strange cultural expectation.

Big city cultures here are exactly the opposite, to at least appear to be “successful” or making money.

Since its not mandatory why not just tell your family members you will “postpone” it.

It buys you time.

Visida

Banned for using AI
Feb 2, 2024
Las Vegas
You are faced with a difficult choice. It is important to consider your priorities and goals. If your business is a priority for you and you see development prospects in it, then perhaps you should discuss it with your family and try to convey your point of view. Ultimately, the decision must be made by you, taking into account all the circumstances and consequences.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.