The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"4-Hour Work Week" Has Anyone Pulled This Off FR? I Feel I'm Close But..

G

Guest6x3pod4

1st I read "4-Hour Work Week".. then.. "Unscripted " ... obviously "Rich Dad"(Yawn.. I hate real estate). So Then I began to invent an old idea and bring it to market.

I spent 3 years being super keen on building systems and hiring one or two all stars who I can sub most work to. That I'm good with.

Where I'm struggling is when to sit down. Because my e-commerce/warehouse/distribution is pretty self sufficient and autonomous, I have idle hands. My latest project has been a podcast and I'm consumed with it.. in fact I'm back to 40hrs a week. (guest hunting, AV work, EDITINGGGGG) Oh, and it's non-revenue generating so I can't sub this crap out!

My question is; Is anyone pulling off the 4 HR work week (or close as I know it's not perhaps so literal) and are you happy with the revenue you generate or do you want more therefore work more. When do you put a cap on it?

Much appreciated guys!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
1st I read "4-Hour Work Week".. then.. "Unscripted " ... obviously "Rich Dad"(Yawn.. I hate real estate). So Then I began to invent an old idea and bring it to market.

I spent 3 years being super keen on building systems and hiring one or two all stars who I can sub most work to. That I'm good with.

Where I'm struggling is when to sit down. Because my e-commerce/warehouse/distribution is pretty self sufficient and autonomous, I have idle hands. My latest project has been a podcast and I'm consumed with it.. in fact I'm back to 40hrs a week. (guest hunting, AV work, EDITINGGGGG) Oh, and it's non-revenue generating so I can't sub this crap out!

My question is; Is anyone pulling off the 4 HR work week (or close as I know it's not perhaps so literal) and are you happy with the revenue you generate or do you want more therefore work more. When do you put a cap on it?

Much appreciated guys!

I am working on @Kak's infamous 1,000 hour work week plan. Next, I'll get on to get 100,000 hour work week.

Ask me how? No, actually don't. Ask Kyle.

Revenue. When do I put a cap on it?

When does an artist say that? When do you say I've had enough sex? No honey, I am putting a cap on that. :rofl:

I love being an entrepreneur and have zero interest in quitting / putting a "cap on it".

And I work hard.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
You didn't understand the premise of the 4-Hour Workweek. The idea is to build a business in such a way that eventually it takes only a couple of hours a week to maintain it. But in the beginning it'll likely require many more hours.

Even being very effective, I'd say you need at least 2 hours a day (if working 7 days a week) to build something.

G

Guest6x3pod4

I am working on @Kak's infamous 1,000 hour work week plan. Next, I'll get on to get 100,000 hour work week.

Ask me how? No, actually don't. Ask Kyle.

Revenue. When do I put a cap on it?

When does an artist say that? When do you say I've had enough sex? No honey, I am putting a cap on that. :rofl:

I love being an entrepreneur and have zero interest in quitting / putting a "cap on it".

And I work hard.
I think you put a cap on money when you want to raise your kids to where they don't think the refrigerator is their father.

And you put a cap on sex when you have to get your hips re-aligned from slamming.

Really it's a work life balance question. Not whatever that was⬆️

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Guest6x3pod4

You didn't understand the premise of the 4-Hour Workweek. The idea is to build a business in such a way that eventually it takes only a couple of hours a week to maintain it. But in the beginning it'll likely require many more hours.

Even being very effective, I'd say you need at least 2 hours a day (if working 7 days a week) to build something.
I think I understood it and executed it perfectly if you didn't read it. I spent 14 hours a day for 2 years to get myself to 2 hours a day. Now I have idle hands and too much time.

Yes I can create another business... probably in half the time.

It's a work life balance question. If you'd like to indulge me on how you balance your desire for more revenue with time with friends and family I'd be happy to continue on that.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I think you put a cap on money when you want to raise your kids to where they don't think the refrigerator is their father.

There's no one ever that has a ton of time for their kids that makes more money than your cap. Got it.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

And you put a cap on sex when you have to get your hips re-aligned from slamming.

Really it's a work life balance question. Not whatever that was⬆️

ok, I'll not to be an a**hole here and do a serious post explanation. You are new here and I am taking your posts from my own point of view, as something that happens on this forum a lot. New person shows up and starts asking these types of questions, looking for that "kudos" pat on the back.

But ...

A)
you are missing the point. And a big one at that.

Making more money does not mean working harder or longer hours! If that were true, every barista that doubles her shift would be rich.

It's typically quite the opposite. The whole premise of Fastlane is that you get to where you need to go FAST.

From that angle, what you are asking makes no sense to me. Build a business, create the freedom you want BECAUSE of the business.

B)

4-Hour Workweek is a popular shit book. It's not about taking it literally. Kyle nailed it on his radio show one time when he compared it to having employees and business that's running like on rails. You can get 1,000 hours out of a business in a week while personally working little. If your business isn't getting you what you want, did you earn the right to "rest"?

C)
Your "giving back podcast" that's taking up a lot of your time. What's the purpose of it? Here you are sucking and blowing at the same time. On the one hand you admit you can't still still. On the other hand you just have some FBA with one employee, which probably pays your bills but nothing too exciting. Definitively a far cry from financial freedom.

Why not double down on what works? What is the point of your distraction of "giving back" when you aren't yet at your own goal posts? And here is a bucket of cold water on you - there are thousands of amazing podcasts already. If you aren't even thinking of becoming the best / monetizing it and are at the same time talking about "work life balance" on this thread - you are just wasting time. YOUR time.

In short:
Think BIGGER and you'll work less for un unlimited Revenue potential. Read this thread: GOLD! - Think Big, and Then Think Bigger Than That.

The author of the THINK BIGGER thread - Kyle (@Kak) probably worked 2 hours this week, went for a run EVERY single day (I track him lol) and has two kids, wife, homeschooling, going to run a Half Marathon shortly ... while making a multiple X higher than the VAST majority of people on this forum. How? From his business.

Work/Life balance is stupid. I just live my life, period. Do more of what you want, do less of what you don't want. Do more of what moves you closer to your goals, and less of what moves you away from your goals.

Hope this helps.

G

Guest6x3pod4

ok, I'll not to be an a**hole here and do a serious post explanation. You are new here and I am taking your posts from my own point of view, as something that happens on this forum a lot. New person shows up and starts asking these types of questions, looking for that "kudos" pat on the back.

But ...

A)

Making more money does not mean working harder or longer hours! If that were true, every barista that doubles her shift would be rich.

It's typically quite the opposite. The whole premise of Fastlane is that you get to where you need to go FAST.

From that angle, what you are asking makes no sense to me. Build a business, create the freedom you want BECAUSE of the business.

B)

4-Hour Workweek is a popular shit book. It's not about taking it literally. Kyle nailed it on his radio show one time when he compared it to having employees and business that's running like on rails. You can get 1,000 hours out of a business in a week while personally working little. If your business isn't getting you what you want, did you earn the right to "rest"?

C)
Your "giving back podcast" that's taking up a lot of your time. What's the purpose of it? Here you are sucking and blowing at the same time. On the one hand you admit you can't still still. On the other hand you just have some FBA with one employee, which probably pays your bills but nothing too exciting. Definitively a far cry from financial freedom.

Why not double down on what works? What is the point of your distraction of "giving back" when you aren't yet at your own goal posts? And here is a bucket of cold water on you - there are thousands of amazing podcasts already. If you aren't even thinking of becoming the best / monetizing it and are at the same time talking about "work life balance" on this thread - you are just wasting time. YOUR time.

In short:
Think BIGGER and you'll work less for un unlimited Revenue potential. Read this thread: GOLD! - Think Big, and Then Think Bigger Than That.

The author of the THINK BIGGER thread - Kyle (@Kak) probably worked 2 hours this week, went for a run EVERY single day (I track him lol) and has two kids, wife, homeschooling, going to run a Half Marathon shortly ... while making a multiple X higher than the VAST majority of people on this forum. How? From his business.

Work/Life balance is stupid. I just live my life, period. Do more of what you want, do less of what you don't want. Do more of what moves you closer to your goals, and less of what moves you away from your goals.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I think I understood it and executed it perfectly if you didn't read it. I spent 14 hours a day for 2 years to get myself to 2 hours a day. Now I have idle hands and too much time.

Yes I can create another business... probably in half the time.

It's a work life balance question. If you'd like to indulge me on how you balance your desire for more revenue with time with friends and family I'd be happy to continue on that.

I apologize, I didn't read it well. I must have been too tired.

If you're completely retired, I don't think it's that difficult to balance your desire for more revenue with personal stuff. You simply don't pay much attention to revenue. I have periods of several months when I don't do anything business-wise and everything is just personal stuff. This is usually when I'm traveling or during the summer.

Then there are other periods where I work much more (like now) AS LONG AS I get some enjoyment or sense of progress out of it AND as long as it is or leads to passive income. If it's a complete grind or purely exchanging my time for money, I don't do it, either.

Gary Keller writes about balance in his book The One Thing. He has this concept of spending a few weeks obsessed about business pursuits but then correcting to the other extreme and being obsessed solely about personal life so that nothing ever gets completely out of balance. I'm not sure if I agree with that as a few weeks not paying much attention to your personal life can still be damaging.

Have you read How to Get Rich by Felix Dennis? While most of the book is about making money, the final chapters are about the obsession with money vs living your life.

Lastly, if you're struggling with balance because you want to make more money, there are two possible reasons:
  • You're still worrying about your financial security because you don't have enough. Then I guess you're still not there. Hitting the Fastlane means that working is an option and no longer a necessity.
  • You're fine with money but you're too addicted to the game of making money (like Felix Dennis was). This can be fine if you enjoy it like many entrepreneurs do. Or it can be a trap if all you do in life is pursue bigger and bigger numbers (as was the case for Felix Dennis).

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

But ...

A)

B)

C)

In short:

Hope this helps.

I often get internal resistance when reading your posts as we have very different perspectives on life and particularly business. But this was F*cking gold.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Great question.

Your question basically boils down to “what is the right way to live my life?” In regards to the balance of work, ambition, and non-work activities.

Right now, I can do basically nothing.

We have people on the phones, doing the schedule, doing the work, meeting with quotes, etc.

I can run it all from a laptop in Mexico. I was just there for the last 5+ weeks learning to surf.

I spend my summers jet skiing with my friends and sipping mojitos at the lake house, learning MMA, going new places. This year we’re doing an off road motorcycle trip through Idaho on the BDR. I’m 27 and I’ve been doing this for the last few years.

I could do this all the time for the rest of my life. It’s recurring revenue, it’s not changing anytime soon. Customers come and go, we add some more to the company and things keep rolling along. It’s pleasant.

But I know that if I sit around forever, I’ll be an old man someday. I’ll be sad and feel empty, knowing I could’ve done something great, and I let that greatness die. I would be ashamed. I would have so many regrets.

So I cannot let my potential die that was given to me. I have to grow, learn, struggle, achieve, fail, and keep going because I have been called to do so.

So I am always finding the balance between pursuing a new level and becoming the best I can be, and then stopping to smell the flowers sometimes.

It’s midnight right now.

I’m working on some automations for the company that will save time and help our customer service rep schedule quotes easier.

I don’t have to. But I think in some way I do.

I believe I’ve been given the gift of life, and the gift of youth (for now), the gift of intelligence and the gift of having a vision for what I must do with my life on earth.

I have a fiduciary duty to take care of many things. This body was given to me, I must take care of it. I am entrusted with this business, I must watch over it. This mind was given to me, I must take care of it. This life was given to me, I mustn’t waste it. I feel that God will come down and check in on me, and say “how is that body I gave you? How is that business you were meant to watch over? How is this life I gave you?” And I want him to smile at me and see that I have used it well and appreciate my gifts.

Each man is meant for something different. That is called his “lot” in life. Your lot in life may be entirely different from someone else’s. You may be called for much more or much less than someone else.

There are few one size fits all answers for lifestyle design, work ethic, and goal setting. It’s like food. Everyone has their preferences.

A simple answer is following the regret minimization framework as mentioned by Jeff Bezos in a famous early interview. Live in a way where you won’t regret your choices when you’re older.

Don’t worry about the result being correct or not, worry only about the little voice in your head and not giving in to weakness or fear.

If I have to pick a door and I pick the wrong door but I had no information, I can’t regret my decision.

But if knew that door number 1 was right but more difficult and so I chose the easy door 2, that’s a valid regret. So only worry about making sure your choices are not made out of fear or weakness.

Applied to your question of work and when to cap things… it means if your work takes you from your family too much and you know deep down you’ll regret that someday, fix that shit now. Or if you work 4 hours a week but you are called to make a great company and you don’t, then you’ll regret it someday, get back to building.

Reduce regrets. Only you know what that means.

Last edited:
G

Guest6x3pod4

Great question.

Your question basically boils down to “what is the right way to live my life?” In regards to the balance of work, ambition, and non-work activities.

Right now, I can do basically nothing.

We have people on the phones, doing the schedule, doing the work, meeting with quotes, etc.

I can run it all from a laptop in Mexico. I was just there for the last 5+ weeks learning to surf.

I spend my summers jet skiing with my friends and sipping mojitos at the lake house, learning MMA, going new places. This year we’re doing an off road motorcycle trip through Idaho on the BDR. I’m 27 and I’ve been doing this for the last few years.

I could do this all the time for the rest of my life. It’s recurring revenue, it’s not changing anytime soon. Customers come and go, we add some more to the company and things keep rolling along. It’s pleasant.

But I know that if I sit around forever, I’ll be an old man someday. I’ll be sad and feel empty, knowing I could’ve done something great, and I let that greatness die. I would be ashamed. I would have so many regrets.

So I cannot let my potential die that was given to me. I have to grow, learn, struggle, achieve, fail, and keep going because I have been called to do so.

So I am always finding the balance between pursuing a new level and becoming the best I can be, and then stopping to smell the flowers sometimes.

It’s midnight right now.

I’m working on some automations for the company that will save time and help our customer service rep schedule quotes easier.

I don’t have to. But I think in some way I do.

I believe I’ve been given the gift of life, and the gift of youth (for now), the gift of intelligence and the gift of having a vision for what I must do with my life on earth.

I have a fiduciary duty to take care of many things. This body was given to me, I must take care of it. I am entrusted with this business, I must watch over it. This mind was given to me, I must take care of it. This life was given to me, I mustn’t waste it. I feel that God will come down and check in on me, and say “how is that body I gave you? How is that business you were meant to watch over? How is this life I gave you?” And I want him to smile at me and see that I have used it well and appreciate my gifts.

Each man is meant for something different. That is called his “lot” in life. Your lot in life may be entirely different from someone else’s. You may be called for much more or much less than someone else.

There are few one size fits all answers for lifestyle design, work ethic, and goal setting. It’s like food. Everyone has their preferences.

A simple answer is following the regret minimization framework as mentioned by Jeff Bezos in a famous early interview. Live in a way where you won’t regret your choices when you’re older.

Don’t worry about the result being correct or not, worry only about the little voice in your head and not giving in to weakness or fear.

If I have to pick a door and I pick the wrong door but I had no information, I can’t regret my decision.

But if knew that door number 1 was right but more difficult and so I chose the easy door 2, that’s a valid regret. So only worry about making sure your choices are not made out of fear or weakness.

Applied to your question of work and when to cap things… it means if your work takes you from your family too much and you know deep down you’ll regret that someday, fix that shit now. Or if you work 4 hours a week but you are called to make a great company and you don’t, then you’ll regret it someday, get back to building.

Reduce regrets. Only you know what that means.
Very well said and a great prospective! I think I would regret not helping more poeple. I was a sad construction worker 3 years ago suffering from general fatigue and shame. I wan't to speak to those younger "me's" out there and let them know that if I could do it, so can they. The money isn't the focus.

My business will always be more than enough money. I still get a thrill every night before bed, checking my Shopify account and seeing we made more money in one day than I used to make in an entire month. I can count my blessings and I hope I can help others do the same.

G

Guest6x3pod4

I apologize, I didn't read it well. I must have been too tired.

If you're completely retired, I don't think it's that difficult to balance your desire for more revenue with personal stuff. You simply don't pay much attention to revenue. I have periods of several months when I don't do anything business-wise and everything is just personal stuff. This is usually when I'm traveling or during the summer.

Then there are other periods where I work much more (like now) AS LONG AS I get some enjoyment or sense of progress out of it AND as long as it is or leads to passive income. If it's a complete grind or purely exchanging my time for money, I don't do it, either.

Gary Keller writes about balance in his book The One Thing. He has this concept of spending a few weeks obsessed about business pursuits but then correcting to the other extreme and being obsessed solely about personal life so that nothing ever gets completely out of balance. I'm not sure if I agree with that as a few weeks not paying much attention to your personal life can still be damaging.

Have you read How to Get Rich by Felix Dennis? While most of the book is about making money, the final chapters are about the obsession with money vs living your life.

Lastly, if you're struggling with balance because you want to make more money, there are two possible reasons:
  • You're still worrying about your financial security because you don't have enough. Then I guess you're still not there. Hitting the Fastlane means that working is an option and no longer a necessity.
  • You're fine with money but you're too addicted to the game of making money (like Felix Dennis was). This can be fine if you enjoy it like many entrepreneurs do. Or it can be a trap if all you do in life is pursue bigger and bigger numbers (as was the case for Felix Dennis).
Thank you very much. It clicked for me at your last paragraphs. I do enjoy this process of reaching more people and helping them. Be it a product or a service. Revenue generating or not.

Honestly I’m only doing 40 hrs M-f and at my own pace. I have nights and weekends for my girls so the balance is there.

I will focus on several periods of the year where I try to be “super dad” and “super husband” while my business systems do what they do best.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.