The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Make 2024 the Year FASTLANE Transforms into Realty, with MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Want 2024 to be the best year of your life? With many more to come?

The year everything changed??

The year Fastlane transformed from fantasy to reality?

Sometime in the mid-90s, I did something that unexpectedly changed my life: I spent 20 minutes visualizing my future and wrote it down in a journal. Years later, I stumbled upon that old visualization in a dusty crate while moving to a new home. You can read the entire story here.

1704238182690.png

Now it's your turn to transform your most ambitious dreams into reality.

Over the next few days, I will give you a complete online tutorial for making it happen. 2024 will be your year—the year everything changes.

Part 1: Start with a Bold Vision and Then Plan It Down to the Week. Then the Day.

"A fantastic dream without a fantastic plan is a fantastic fantasy." - MJ

In The Great Rat Race Escape , I emphasized the importance of outlining your future to make good decisions.

Visualize it.
Reverse-engineer it.
Then task it daily.

Win the day. Win the week. And you'll win the year, followed by life.

In other words, start with the end in mind.

Suppose you're skeptical and think this is just fluff. Your loss.

Visualization and backwardization of goal-planning is endorsed by many iconic leaders and authors, myself included.
  • In "The Great Rat Race Escape ," by MJ DeMarco (me!) I describe this engineering process as a 1/5/10 Strategy.
  • In James Clear's "Atomic Habits," he talks about identity shifts: transforming from who you think you are to who you will become.
  • In an extensive interview here, Sahil Bloom reflected on this "backwards" approach to setting and achieving goals.
  • Here's another article on the backwardization of goal planning...
  • In Maxwell Martz's "Psycho-Cybernetics," he emphasizes visualizing and redefining your self-image as the crucial foundation for life changes.
  • In Stephen Covey's "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People," he advocates for Starting with the End in Mind, which is Habit #2. This book has sold gazillions.
These last two books have withstood the test of time. Clear's book has sold gazillions. There's meat on the bone here that THIS STUFF WORKS.

Moreover, setting a grander vision for the future can be transformative in these 3 key ways:

1. Backwardization of goals gifts you a decision-making framework.
In this forum, I often address decision-making questions with the same advice: Choose TODAY what aligns with your long-term vision TOMORROW and where you see yourself in 5 or 10 years.

2. Backwardization of goals reshapes your identity and self-image.
Envisioning your future self ensures that your current self makes choices in alignment with that vision, a concept echoed in both James Clear's and Maxwell Martz's works.

3. Backwardization of goals fuels grit and determination and fires your feedback loop.
Aligning your decisions with a greater purpose transforms tough choices into steps toward your ultimate goal. What might seem like thankless, challenging tasks today are actually integral parts of your journey. I was hired for a lot of shitty jobs. My future vision made these jobs tolerable and part of the process. They weren't failures, but steps.

So, how do you start planning for the future you dream of?

It begins with your system. As James Clear aptly put it, "You do not rise to the level of your goals; you rise to the level of your systems."

Dream it. Plan it. Task it. Habit it. Motivate it.

1704238444483.png

Here's how:

First, grab a free trial (no credit card needed) at GoalSumo.com.com. Yes, I'm pushing the system I use myself and co-founded. But don't worry— if you're more inclined towards traditional methods, you can download my 1/5/10 Planner for FREE.

Either way, you can follow along.

Second, watch the video posted above and follow the instructions for making your first goal.

Third, WATCH this thread as will update it continually.

dream_big_plan_small.png

welcome_goalsumo.png

Follow along and by next year you won't recognize yourself from last year.

And even better, the IDEA of even having a "New Years Resolution" will sound utterly stupid.

~ MJ DeMarco

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Visualize it.
Reverse-engineer it.
Then task it daily.

I don’t like sharing personal details like this, but I have had high-caliber spiritual visions/experiences. The difficult part is interpreting and translating it into the correct language, words, meaning and syntax.

Likewise, you can inspire a vision by writing down language that comes from your true nature.

Anyways, the point is, by visualizing your goals or self. You can access a..different kind of intelligence or terminal realm.

Last edited:

The One

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Feb 25, 2023
UK
Honestly MJ. Nothing but VALUE.

I know this thread is going to be seen by a lot of youngsters, as well as me being a youngster - let me tell ya this.

What MJ is saying is nothing but pure facts. This is where your execution relies on. It doesn't rely on that stupid quotes app, that poster on your wall, the affirmations you tell yourself, your future, your past, your stupid business plan.

THE EXECUTION IS WHAT ONLY MATTERS.

Trust me - I've wasted a year on doing stupid so called "self-improvement" - like do F*cking meditation, take a breath in till you knock out unconscious - obv meditation is all good. But, you are doing meaningless shit that makes you feel good.

Note - self improvement is the way to go ahead - no doubt. However, do not let it action fake you.

As MJ calls it "Action faking". That is what you are doing.

Now, doing what MJ mentioned above is NOT hard. You WILL overthink and that is okay. You probably never have done this before. You are used to TAKING ORDERS, you probably never have done something that YOU WANTED TO DO.

As MJ mentions you want to literally F*cking convert from CONSUMERS to PRODUCERS.

It's NOT hard. You will only overthink it. I promise you. It is NOT hard.

Peace be upon you all.

Epynok

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 20, 2023

Sometime in the mid-90s, I did something that unexpectedly changed my life: I spent 20 minutes visualizing my future and wrote it down in a journal. Years later, I stumbled upon that old visualization in a dusty crate while moving to a new home. You can read the entire story here.

View attachment 53305

Over the next few days, I will give you a complete online tutorial for making it happen. 2024 will be your year—the year everything changes.

Start with a Bold Vision

In The Great Rat Race Escape , I emphasized the importance of outlining your future to make good decisions.

Visualize it.
Reverse-engineer it.
Then task it daily.

Visualization and backwardization of goal-planning is endorsed by many iconic leaders and authors, myself included.
  • In "The Great Rat Race Escape ," by MJ DeMarco (me!) I describe this engineering process as a 1/5/10 Strategy.
  • In James Clear's "Atomic Habits," he talks about identity shifts: transforming from who you think you are to who you will become.
  • In an extensive interview here, Sahil Bloom reflected on this "backwards" approach to setting and achieving goals.
  • In Maxwell Martz's "Psycho-Cybernetics," he emphasizes visualizing and redefining your self-image as the crucial foundation for life changes.
  • In Stephen Covey's "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People," he advocates for Starting with the End in Mind, which is Habit #2. This book has sold gazillions.
These last two books have withstood the test of time. Clear's book has sold gazillions. There's meat on the bone here that THIS STUFF WORKS.

Moreover, setting a grander vision for the future can be transformative in these 3 key ways:

In this forum, I often address decision-making questions with the same advice: Choose TODAY what aligns with your long-term vision TOMORROW and where you see yourself in 5 or 10 years.

Envisioning your future self ensures that your current self makes choices in alignment with that vision, a concept echoed in both James Clear's and Maxwell Martz's works.

3. Backwardization of goals fuels grit and determination and fires your feedback loop.
Aligning your decisions with a greater purpose transforms tough choices into steps toward your ultimate goal. What might seem like thankless, challenging tasks today are actually integral parts of your journey. I was hired for a lot of shitty jobs. My future vision made these jobs tolerable and part of the process. They weren't failures, but steps.

It begins with your system. As James Clear aptly put it, "You do not rise to the level of your goals; you rise to the level of your systems."

View attachment 53309

Here's how:

First, grab a free trial (no credit card needed) at GoalSumo.com.com. Yes, I'm pushing the system I use myself and co-founded. But don't worry— if you're more inclined towards traditional methods, you can download my 1/5/10 Planner for FREE.

Second, watch the video posted above and follow the instructions for making your first goal.

View attachment 53306

View attachment 53307

And even better, the IDEA of even having a "New Years Resolution" will sound utterly stupid.

~ MJ DeMarco

I used the free trial version of this app and I have to say...

It is the BEST productivity tool that exists out there.

Because this thing GENUINELY helps you reverse engineer your goals down to the day.

Thanks a lot, MJ.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I used the free trial version of this app and I have to say...

It is the BEST productivity tool that exists out there.

Because this thing GENUINELY helps you reverse engineer your goals down to the day.

Thanks a lot, MJ.

Thank you, I wouldn't be pushing it if I didn't think it was effective, if not life changing.

This newer system has improved my life in so many ways that I'm now incredibly passionate about it. I can honestly say that this thing has probably added a few years to my life. (I hope I don't jinx myself, I have a dental surgery scheduled today and will go under anesthesia).

Here's how you continually improve your life.

This is how my day starts without having to do a thing...

4 Health Habits chained to a Value (Better health)
1 Business Habit chained to a Big Goal (A new book)
I will manually add a few tasks today that chain to bigger goals.
And some life minutiae tasks not linked to any goal.

1704294451062.png
  • The piano improves my cognitive function as well as relieves stress -- can confirm.
  • The exertion function ensures I'm moving all day (standing treadmill instead of a desk) -- can confirm as I've put on muscle and lost body-fat.
  • The stretching has helped me stay in the gym and put on more muscle in my 50s, than in my 30s -- can confirm.
  • And progress on the new book has been steady. I shouldn't take me 4 years to write it like every other book that I've written.
When I used my pen/paper version of this, the Habits always fell off, and many times I was too busy to rewrite the goals in the sidebar.

Focus, productivity, and results has been 10X'd.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
The piano improves my cognitive function as well as relieves stress -- can confirm.
Didn't know you played the piano. How long have you learning/playing it for? You should post some song/piece that you have played in the hobby thread. Pretty sure everyone would love it (I would love it the most as I have been playing piano for ~6 years as well haha)
When I used my pen/paper version of this, the Habits always fell off, and many times I was too busy to rewrite the goals in the sidebar.
True. Buying GoalSumo.com and INSIDERS subscription will be my first thing when I would earn something.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How long have you learning/playing it for? You should post some song/piece that you have played in the hobby thread.

That's not why I play, and I'm not very good. Much to learn. I played for years in my teens.

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
Have you thought of making this into an App @MJ DeMarco ?
Idk where I heard it, maybe it was an interview or podcast where the other co founder of GoalSumo.com claimed that making an app was a top priority.

Edit: Nvm I am not able to find it now so I might be false recalling stuff.

Last edited:

hopeallornothing

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 29, 2023
Visualize it.
Reverse-engineer it.
Then task it daily.
I had goosebumps reading these words, because I'll be finishing college in 6-9 months and I don't want to go back to my hometown by then. I'm in an EU member state with worst stats for leaving parents' home (literally mid 30's, I'm in my mid 20's and can't bring myself to thinking that I'd have to spend 10 more years with my parents because of poor income and poor chances this country is giving my nation), and I've been thinking for MONTHS now how I will turn the exterior reality into my own new interior (and 1000X better) reality, and that is really by putting a fight with a good strategy as this one. This is literally something I want on my vision board. First years will probably be hell, but if I get to "heaven after that, then it will be worth it. Of course not to mention that I do have some work experience and didn't just sit at home and do college :') because it may sound like that judging by the way I wrote what I wrote.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Yes, an APP is roadmapped. Our primary objective is nailing the web-based version, then we will worry about the App stores.

BlackLands

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jun 5, 2019
I'm already using it to crush my 10 years goal. Nothing to say, Dean and MJ have made something incredibly useful.

Looking forward to see how the project will evolve in the future.

Great jobs guys!

Dean Irwin

The GoalSumo Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Jan 1, 2021
Sandy Springs, GA
Idk where I heard it, maybe it was an interview or podcast where the other co founder of goalsumo claimed that making an app was a top priority.

Edit: Nvm I am not able to find it now so I might be false recalling stuff.

Hi there! I am the person from the podcast and the developer of GoalSumo. : )

At the time of this podcast (9 months ago), we were prioritizing the app very high up on our list of things to do. While we want to have a mobile app in our lineup just as much as everyone else, it can't be our top-most priority.

Here's why:

Early on in a business, you need to prioritize adaptability above all else. You have to be able to modify and follow the features that are the most requested, and do so quickly.

GoalSumo today looks nothing close to what it looked like when we released a little bit over a year ago. If we had to do backwards-compatible updates with mobile/native app versions, we would have a problem where development of new features would slow to a crawl, because now we have to push updates via app stores, get approvals every time we push new software, etc.

Basically, while we figure out exactly what GoalSumo is (and isn't), we can't create technical debt of a native app at the same time.

We want to build a mobile app, but we want to make sure that when we build the app, it's a great one.

There are other things in that podcast interview that I mentioned that we were prioritizing at the time, but when we looked at how people were actually using our app, and what they needed from us to be successful, we prioritized different tools and shifted directions a bit.

I think this is fundamental to always stay alert to the needs of the market, and prioritize what delivers the most value, even if it requires a shift from what was originally planned.

In case you're curious, this is the technical difference between a web-app and a mobile app...
On our web platform, we have built custom tooling to give you folks a new version of GoalSumo within minutes of it being available. We can even refresh the page with a new version automatically, and your clients will update within 2 minutes of release. This is almost unheard of in the mobile app space. (Yes, apps can have over-the-air updates, and our tech stack will embrace this when the time comes, but it's no where near as flexible as a web app)

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Part 2: Back-Up Your Big Plans with Daily Habits
The Super-Simple Way to Create and Build Habits ... and Win the Day.
And Ultimately, the Year.

dream_big_plan_small.png

View: https://youtu.be/TC-hGZR4ycM

I'm already using it to crush my 10 years goal. Nothing to say, Dean and MJ have made something incredibly useful.

Looking forward to see how the project will evolve in the future.

Great jobs guys!

Thanks for sticking with us! It's only gonna get better, and more effective!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You are the CEO of your life.

This video explains why you need to be proactively strategic about your life, like a corporation is strategic with its own assets and strategy.

If you're not thinking about this stuff, someone else will do the thinking for you.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbiNhAZlXZk

fasdrubal971

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Dec 23, 2023

View attachment 53305

Part 1: Start with a Bold Vision and Then Plan It Down to the Week. Then the Day.

Visualize it.
Reverse-engineer it.
Then task it daily.

View attachment 53309

Here's how:

First, grab a free trial (no credit card needed) at GoalSumo.com. Yes, I'm pushing the system I use myself and co-founded. But don't worry— if you're more inclined towards traditional methods, you can download my 1/5/10 Planner for FREE.

View attachment 53306

View attachment 53307

~ MJ DeMarco

Merci MJ.
Je suis Frédéric.
Pourriez-vous traduire GoalSumo en français s'il vous plaît ? >> Could you please translate GoalSumo into French?
Thanks

fasdrubal971

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Dec 23, 2023
Merci, je n'insisterais pas si je ne pensais pas que c'était efficace, voire changeant la vie.

Ce nouveau système a amélioré ma vie à bien des égards, au point que j'en suis désormais incroyablement passionné. Je peux honnêtement dire que cette chose a probablement ajouté quelques années à ma vie. (J'espère que je ne me fais pas de mal, j'ai une chirurgie dentaire prévue aujourd'hui et je serai sous anesthésie).

Voici comment vous améliorez continuellement votre vie.

C'est ainsi que ma journée commence sans rien faire...

4 habitudes de santé liées à une valeur (meilleure santé)
1 habitude commerciale enchaînée à un grand objectif (un nouveau livre)
Aujourd’hui, j’ajouterai manuellement quelques tâches qui s’enchaînent vers des objectifs plus importants.
Et quelques tâches minutieuses de la vie qui ne sont liées à aucun objectif.

View attachment 53322
  • Le piano améliore ma fonction cognitive et soulage le stress – je peux le confirmer.
  • La fonction d'effort garantit que je bouge toute la journée (tapis roulant debout au lieu d'un bureau) - je peux le confirmer car j'ai pris du muscle et perdu de la graisse corporelle.
  • Les étirements m'ont aidé à rester au gymnase et à développer plus de muscles dans la cinquantaine que dans la trentaine - je peux le confirmer.
  • Et les progrès sur le nouveau livre ont été constants. Je ne devrais pas me prendre 4 ans pour l'écrire comme tous les autres livres que j'ai écrits.
Lorsque j'utilisais ma version stylo/papier, les habitudes tombaient toujours et j'étais souvent trop occupé pour réécrire les objectifs dans la barre latérale.

La concentration, la productivité et les résultats ont été multipliés par 10.
Merci. J'utilise la fonction de traduction de mon navigateur pour lire votre post. Mais j'aimerais que GoalSumo soit en français pour bien tester.
Soyez béni MJ pour vos conseils.

fasdrubal971

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Dec 23, 2023
Partie 2 : Sauvegardez vos grands projets avec des habitudes quotidiennes
La manière ultra-simple de créer et de construire des habitudes... et de gagner la journée.
Et finalement, l'année.

View attachment 53368

Voir : https://youtu.be/TC-hGZR4ycM

Merci d'être resté avec nous ! Cela ne fera que s'améliorer et être plus efficace !
Besoin d'un conseil MJ. Si veux réaliser mon premier million d'€ en février 2030, comment je dois découper dès maintenant mes habitudes quotidiennes pour atteindre cet objectif ? --> Need some advice MJ. If I want to make my first million of € in February 2030, how should I cut my daily habits now to achieve this goal?

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
@Dean Irwin

Hey, Dean. I'm trying to understand how GoalSumo helps supports the 1/5/10 year framework.

My problem of late is trying to make meaningful progress on multiple goals / priorities, especially when they're long term (1 - 2+ years). You can't just rank everything #1 through #17 and spend all your time banging away on #1 until it's finished. Scheduling individual tasks and knocking those out is easy enough, but I'm finding it *really* difficult to figure out the right tasks when the goal priority is bouncing up and down from week to week or month to month.

The tools I've used in the past (and currently) just don't work. It's too easy to miss something entirely and it falls off the radar for months at a time. At the moment, I have Google Calendar, 3x5 index cards on the wall, notebook(s) and post its everywhere. Kinda sucky. It mostly seems like an endless list of tasks to check off. Since there's no high level perspective, it's actually kind of discouraging. Kanban was pretty good for seeing things forward, just not for figuring out where to spend time day to day.

GoalSumo: Supercharge Goal Achievement and Turn Your Big Dreams into Reality 2024-01-13 16-31-41.pngThis chart looks great. The app seems like it will help. It's just so different (chains, time intervals, kaizen ideas, etc.) from a CRM or task list type tool that it's a little difficult to understand how it's meant to be used for managing multiple dream goals. MJ's walkthrough is more "push this, push that" kind of tutorial. I can't tell how it helps me figure out what to work on this week vs. next week vs next month vs next quarter and so on.

Last edited:

Dean Irwin

The GoalSumo Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Jan 1, 2021
Sandy Springs, GA
@Dean Irwin

Hey, Dean. I'm trying to understand how GoalSumo helps supports the 1/5/10 year framework.

My problem of late is trying to make meaningful progress on multiple goals / priorities, especially when they're long term (1 - 2+ years). You can't just rank everything #1 through #17 and spend all your time banging away on #1 until it's finished. Scheduling individual tasks and knocking those out is easy enough, but I'm finding it *really* difficult to figure out the right tasks when the goal priority is bouncing up and down from week to week or month to month.

The tools I've used in the past (and currently) just don't work. It's too easy to miss something entirely and it falls off the radar for months at a time. At the moment, I have Google Calendar, 3x5 index cards on the wall, notebook(s) and post its everywhere. Kinda sucky. It mostly seems like an endless list of tasks to check off. Since there's no high level perspective, it's actually kind of discouraging. Kanban was pretty good for seeing things forward, just not for figuring out where to spend time day to day.

View attachment 53542This chart looks great. The app seems like it will help. It's just so different (chains, time intervals, kaizen ideas, etc.) from a CRM or task list type tool that it's a little difficult to understand how it's meant to be used for managing multiple dream goals. MJ's walkthrough is more "push this, push that" kind of tutorial. I can't tell how it helps me figure out what to work on this week vs. next week vs next month vs next quarter and so on.

Hello! All of these are reasonable concerns. Have you signed up for a trial already? We offer a completely free, no credit card required, free trial for 14 days.

If you are currently on a trial, I would recommend checking out one of our guided goals that have been expertly crafted by MJ. This might help to give some context on how to craft the app for your specific goals.

Not sure if this answered your question or not, feel free to send me a direct message if you need anything! We are still working on putting together these docs and they are still a work in progress, but you might find them helpful for some best practices. GoalSumo.com: Unleash productivity, crush goals, stay motivated.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

It's based on the entire concept, but a bit more granular and segmented.

1. Set a big goal of any size or length.
  2. Blueprint, or segment that big goal into smaller, bite-sized goals, right down to small, weekly goals.
  3. Chain most of your daily tasks to any weekly goal. Accomplishing that small weekly goal cascades up into the chain, to the larger goal.
When one attacks a weekly goal on a daily to do list, you're actually attacking the big goal.

Of course, chaining any daily task to a goal or value is optional, but kinda defeats the purpose of thinking big, but acting small.

Win one day. Win one week. And so forth...

It gets people to think big, plan accordingly, but focus on the details of the day.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Another idea—or one would say challenging in the theater of big goal achievement— that is implicit within GoalSumo.

A great read, no matter if you use the service or not.

Apply it and manage the "messy middle."

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Have you signed up for a trial already? We offer a completely free, no credit card required, free trial for 14 days.
Yep, just signed up yesterday. I'll try setting up my 1/5/10 list tomorrow and see how it goes.

YouCanDoThis

Start with Empathy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 2, 2021
Europe
Trying out GoalSumo and I've set up a couple of goal chains. So far I really like that experience, it forces me to walk through the chunking process for bigger goals. The youtube video explaining the process with a running-a-marathon-goal was very helpful in that regard.

I'm a bit confused about the Daily Sumo page. I'm supposed to fill that with tasks that get me to my goals? If so, it'd be really neat if I could see both my goals and my tasks on the same page.

What's the (philosophical) difference between a task and a goal anyway? If you chunk up your goals enough eventually they become tasks — and some of the sub-goals in the templates seem like atomic tasks to me. But I can't simply add these sub-goals as a primary/secondary task, apparently I need to create a task to "Buy running shoes" to complete the goal "Buy running shoes"? That seems redundant?

I think this process would benefit from an explainer video as well. ^_^

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What's the (philosophical) difference between a task and a goal anyway?

A task is something you can achieve today; say "research running shoes"
A weekly goal is a broader objective, something like "buy running shoes" usually requires several tasks to achieve the larger goal.

You chain daily tasks to your weekly goals. That's how you accomplish them, one day, one week at a time.

Weekly goals might have 5 or 6 tasks spread out over several days (or weeks).

While not required, the objective is to get most of your daily tasks chained to weekly goals, which cascade to larger goals.

If so, it'd be really neat if I could see both my goals and my tasks on the same page.

They already are in tabbed format. Click the Goals tab. Having both showing simultaneously is not possible in a UX as both can be quite lengthy.

1705508873742.png

Andy777E

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Dec 8, 2018

View attachment 53305

Visualize it.
Reverse-engineer it.
Then task it daily.

View attachment 53309

Here's how:

First, grab a free trial (no credit card needed) at GoalSumo.com. Yes, I'm pushing the system I use myself and co-founded. But don't worry— if you're more inclined towards traditional methods, you can download my 1/5/10 Planner for FREE.

View attachment 53306

View attachment 53307

~ MJ DeMarco

Love it!

Jinzou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Feb 1, 2024
Germany
Just signed up for the free trial. I'm curious to see how it will support my processes in the next days.

A general problem of mine though (and probably some other people too):
I have the feeling that I tend to mix too much stuff into one goal at once, which makes it hard to find mid-term goals and so on. I would differentiate them into individual goals but I don't want to overwhelm myself with 100 tasks per day and whatnot. Should I better prioritize all these goals and sort them through?

How are others dealing with "breaking down" very big goals? (In specific I mean the process of thinking behind that breaking down part)
I'd be happy for some advice! Thank you :)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Should I better prioritize all these goals and sort them through?

Deploy a template to see how it should be done.

Your mid-term goals should not be distracting you, not sure why you are having issues there.

The only goals that matter are the weekly ones (which optimally chain up to larger goals)

Distraction occurs when you focus on goals outside of the weekly time frame, which is why you can only chain tasks to weekly goals.

Also, our next update will prioritize a "Weekly Goal Focus" so each week, you only focus on 1 weekly goal, until completion.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.