The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You've seen it a thousand times, but here it is again

Anything related to matters of the mind

Glorydog

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 8, 2015
Northwest Arkansas
I know y'all see this same post almost EVERY SINGLE DAY. But, I've read most of the threads I've seen on the topic, and I'd like to get some advice specifically for me.

You guessed it, it's another college thread.

For most of my senior year, I have known where I want to go to college. I had it picked, I've applied, been accepted and have most of my tuition paid for. There is about $5,000 per year that I'll have to pay, which includes room and board. I've been planning to go there to study Business Management. Today, however, a new thought dawned on me out of the blue.

There is a community college not far from me that I can go to for free. It's a 2 year institution, but I wouldn't want to take the full 4 years there anyway. I can go to this school and not have to spend $5,000 to go to school per year, PLUS I can get the job at the Police Department that starts at $28K/year. (Due to my background in law, I'm almost a shoo in to get the job. I've been doing a lot of job shadowing and they told me I should fill out an application.) $28k/ year isn't much, but It's $10,000 more than my parents make.

So, today, I've been thinking that maybe I should just go to community college for the first 2 years, and transfer out after 2 years. To be quite honest, I have a feeling I'll end up leaving college for entrepreneurial pursuits anyway. During the 2 years, I could save up a nice nest egg working at the Police Department while getting basically the same education.

I'd just like to hear some other people's thoughts on what I should do. I've tried talking to my dad about it and I even told him I wouldn't be surprised if I left school in entrepreneurial pursuits. His responses were that I've worked to hard to settle for community college, and if I leave, what if the business fails?

But, to be frank, my dad is broke. As the saying goes, if you don't want to be broke, don't take advice from broke people. That's why I'm here reaching out to you guys.

Thanks in advance for any responses :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This is really your choice, and whether you feel what school is worthy of you. I went to both a community college and a Business College. You get two different things. Community college doesn't give a rip if you succeed or fail. They just take your money. They don't care if you show up. At least the Business school I went too wanted to know where you were at if you didn't show up. They wanted you to succeed and was very supportive, pushed you to reach your full potential, and even when I did an internship I was told, I was way more advanced. I was in master level classes in Bachelor's at an accelerated rate ten weeks instead of fifteen. So, I suppose go to school where there is more value for your needs.

Your education is worth as much as you believe it's worth and whether you're willing to invest in it and feel it's worth your investment. Which school gives you more opportunity and growth. I visited five college's before I decided on the Business one. Listened to what they offered, how much it cost, and what served my needs the best. And I made the right choice. The first college was chosen by parent when I was 18 and didn't know what I wanted to do, and dropped out. I went back later. Really it's all about your choices and whatever route you want to take to get to your goals.

Again you can see I'm not doing what I went to college for, but it still is useful in what I'm doing. So the plan of your life and goals change along the way. There is no straight line. Usually it's curvy depending on how many detours you want to take to get there.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Community college hands down.

I was able to try 3 different "careers" in it across 4 semesters (transfer-ready like english, math etc. - slowlane; business management - TMF and this forum is a much better schooling for that; computer science - good experience but so much shit to learn, easier to outsource). It cost me maybe $2000 total ($24-46 per unit). Parties were alright. Girls were pretty ;)

Ultimately I dropped out for good to pursue entrepreneurship. But I felt like I got the full education and college "experience". If you want even more " college experience", live with roommates dorm room style and drive out to a big school campus on Friday nights for parties. I recommend Marketing as a major or at least take some classes for it, they are interesting and useful.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
We can't make that decision for you but.....what are you doing between now and August? Plenty of time to try your entrepreneurial hand and see how you like it. Go sell something this week, it will tell you (and your gut) a lot. Good luck, man.

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
Here's the deal...

No one can really do that much to help you here...it's ultimately up to you. But I'm a couple years of ahead of you. Here's what I've learned...

1. If you go, go for something worth while. Computer Science, Engineering, etc. (not business management) I never made this mistake, but know many people who did.

2. Do NOT take out huge loans to go to school. Ever. (made this mistake my first year)

3. There's no reason you can't take online classes for some of your courses. Online courses allow you to travel, still work a job and make money, and they usually don't take up quite as much time so you can work on your businesses more.

4. You're probably awake for at least 16 hours a day. Unless you've already got a successful business demanding most of those hours, you have plenty of time to focus on work, classes that are worthwhile, and your business ideas. People who say they don't have time for everything are usually full of shit (I know I was).

5. You can still go out and have a good time. Go to cities and campuses close to you. There's people and parties everywhere. And you can experience more than just one scene this way too.

6. Also, 1 other thing. Never throw out a business idea because it's not "fastlane". Every business can be fastlane. You just have to figure out how. Focus on CENTS, but realize that Scale and Time are last for a reason. Find the need, and figure out how to make it fastlane after. That plumber down the street? He could go fastlane. That lady cleaning houses every day? Could easily go fastlane too. Find the need. Then find the fastlane.

If I was you, I would find a way to do classes (the community college or online - study something worthwhile), work at the police department, and work on business ideas until you can make one work.

OR you could always flip a coin. But remember. Your decision is not made when the coin lands, but rather while the coin is in the air.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Take some classes at the CC this summer while signing up for the 4 year in fall. Start a business now and make a sale.

Then you will have more data points to make an informed decision.

Glorydog

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 8, 2015
Northwest Arkansas
This is really your choice, and whether you feel what school is worthy of you. I went to both a community college and a Business College. You get two different things. Community college doesn't give a rip if you succeed or fail. They just take your money. They don't care if you show up. At least the Business school I went too wanted to know where you were at if you didn't show up. They wanted you to succeed and was very supportive, pushed you to reach your full potential, and even when I did an internship I was told, I was way more advanced. I was in master level classes in Bachelor's at an accelerated rate ten weeks instead of fifteen. So, I suppose go to school where there is more value for your needs.

Your education is worth as much as you believe it's worth and whether you're willing to invest in it and feel it's worth your investment. Which school gives you more opportunity and growth. I visited five college's before I decided on the Business one. Listened to what they offered, how much it cost, and what served my needs the best. And I made the right choice. The first college was chosen by parent when I was 18 and didn't know what I wanted to do, and dropped out. I went back later. Really it's all about your choices and whatever route you want to take to get to your goals.

Again you can see I'm not doing what I went to college for, but it still is useful in what I'm doing. So the plan of your life and goals change along the way. There is no straight line. Usually it's curvy depending on how many detours you want to take to get there.
Really insightful. Thank you for your response.

It's a personal decision that nobody can make for you, but from the way you've worded your post, I think it's already clear what you want to do. :)
Well, I do think that CC makes more sense. I wasn't looking for someone to tell me what to do, but my post probably came across that way. I was really just looking for opinions on the matter and maybe some shared experiences

We can't make that decision for you but.....what are you doing between now and August? Plenty of time to try your entrepreneurial hand and see how you like it. Go sell something this week, it will tell you (and your gut) a lot. Good luck, man.
Thanks for the response! As I told Aimee, I wasn't looking for someone to tell me what to do, but I can see where it seems that way. I am currently buying/selling on Craigslist and other local sites. I am also working on a very niche business. Between May (Graduation) and August, I plan to keep doing what I'm doing, and hopefully land the job at the Police Department.

Here's the deal...

No one can really do that much to help you here...it's ultimately up to you. But I'm a couple years of ahead of you. Here's what I've learned...

1. If you go, go for something worth while. Computer Science, Engineering, etc. (not business management) I never made this mistake, but know many people who did.

2. Do NOT take out huge loans to go to school. Ever. (made this mistake my first year)

3. There's no reason you can't take online classes for some of your courses. Online courses allow you to travel, still work a job and make money, and they usually don't take up quite as much time so you can work on your businesses more.

4. You're probably awake for at least 16 hours a day. Unless you've already got a successful business demanding most of those hours, you have plenty of time to focus on work, classes that are worthwhile, and your business ideas. People who say they don't have time for everything are usually full of shit (I know I was).

5. You can still go out and have a good time. Go to cities and campuses close to you. There's people and parties everywhere. And you can experience more than just one scene this way too.

6. Also, 1 other thing. Never throw out a business idea because it's not "fastlane". Every business can be fastlane. You just have to figure out how. Focus on CENTS, but realize that Scale and Time are last for a reason. Find the need, and figure out how to make it fastlane after. That plumber down the street? He could go fastlane. That lady cleaning houses every day? Could easily go fastlane too. Find the need. Then find the fastlane.

If I was you, I would find a way to do classes (the community college or online - study something worthwhile), work at the police department, and work on business ideas until you can make one work.

OR you could always flip a coin. But remember. Your decision is not made when the coin lands, but rather while the coin is in the air.
This is perfect. Very good response, really exactly what I was looking for when I posted this thread. I agree with you on not abandoning business ideas because they're not "Fastlane." I see it all the time on this forum and I always think "Why the hell does it matter? Start a business now, you can always make changes later."

However, I would like to pick your brain on your comment about Business Management. I'm of the opinion that it would be a good degree, since I would learn real life skills that could help me not only in my own business pursuits, but also land a decent job if needed. I don't see McDonald's or Walmart turning down a guy who is applying for a management position who has a degree in BM. Well, I can see that, but I think it would be less likely. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
There's just one thing about your post that really concerns me and that is you're basing your decision on finances; both costs and offsetting revenue. While it's sensible to keep costs in mind, I don't think this should be the primary reason in making any decision. $5k/year is nothing even if it's full-on debt that yo accumulate. Money is abundant in this world; you just need to tap into it. So don't let costs dictate your decision.

Other notes:
School will always be around and available to you at any point in your life. That's one of the best things about it. Nothing is stopping you from going to college later if you do community college now or vice versa.

Instead of thinking about the decision in financial terms or as part of some kind of timeline, focus on what you can gain from each approach to get you where you want to be. Let that drive your decision and then pivot as needed when either your goals change or the environment around you starts making you drift from that goal. From what I'm hearing, something that affords you time to pursue entrepreneurial ventures may valuable to you. If you're spending $5k/year in college but have a few more hours a week available to you for this, is that better than having a job and going to community college when you'll be making more money but perhaps have less time available? Only you can make that choice.

As for the specialization of study (re: engineering comments), even these will only get you so far. You can work towards getting a six figure job and can attain those, but that may be as far as you get. It's still slowlane, as are any jobs where you're working for someone else. SO again, think of it in terms of what you will gain from that path and get alignment with your goals. If BM makes more sense then pursue it! If not, figure out what course of study will get you there.

Lastly, join the INSIDERS. I know, I know...it's been said a million times and it's starting to sound like a telemarketing scam but really...JOIN THE INSIDERS. There is a wealth of info here and tons of people available to help you learn and grow. This place, in itself, is a massive opportunity to educate yourself, at your own pace, with a wealth of one-on-one support from people who are doing things. This is practical learning, not theoretical. It's happening now and is completely relevant to our times instead of something written in a text book from decades before.

Good luck! I'm sure no matter what decision you make, it will be the right one for you. And if not, pivot and keep going!

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
However, I would like to pick your brain on your comment about Business Management. I'm of the opinion that it would be a good degree, since I would learn real life skills that could help me not only in my own business pursuits, but also land a decent job if needed. I don't see McDonald's or Walmart turning down a guy who is applying for a management position who has a degree in BM. Well, I can see that, but I think it would be less likely. What are your thoughts on this?

Glad I could help.

While I agree that you would learn many great life skills and some stuff to help with your business, the stuff you learn is a lot easier to learn on your own than a more technical degree.

You can learn most of the business management stuff by simply taking the time to read books.

One of the biggest advantages of any schooling is having mentors (the professors) and other people there to help you learn. While some professors don't have much real world experience, most are still very knowledgeable (imo knowledge counts more in technical degrees than experience compared to a degree like business management). You're not paying for the knowledge. You're paying for these resources. And these resources are better used in learning a technical skill (something you can use as a backbone of a business) compared to business management.

Basically, like I said, it comes down to this: it's easier to teach yourself business management than a technical skill. Use your resources wisely.

As for the jobs, if you eventually have to use your degree to get one, a technical degree would be of more use then usually. Also, and I know it was just an example, but I wouldn't really want to get a degree and then still be applying to McDonald's or Walmart if I was looking for a job at that point.

Glorydog

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 8, 2015
Northwest Arkansas
Glad I could help.

While I agree that you would learn many great life skills and some stuff to help with your business, the stuff you learn is a lot easier to learn on your own than a more technical degree.

You can learn most of the business management stuff by simply taking the time to read books.

One of the biggest advantages of any schooling is having mentors (the professors) and other people there to help you learn. While some professors don't have much real world experience, most are still very knowledgeable (imo knowledge counts more in technical degrees than experience compared to a degree like business management). You're not paying for the knowledge. You're paying for these resources. And these resources are better used in learning a technical skill (something you can use as a backbone of a business) compared to business management.

Basically, like I said, it comes down to this: it's easier to teach yourself business management than a technical skill. Use your resources wisely.

As for the jobs, if you eventually have to use your degree to get one, a technical degree would be of more use then usually. Also, and I know it was just an example, but I wouldn't really want to get a degree and then still be applying to McDonald's or Walmart if I was looking for a job at that point.

Wow, thanks a lot. I'll be thinking a lot about this in the coming months. You've been really helpful. You'll be the first person I transfer rep to that I can think of!

G

GuestUser113

@Vigilante

I'm just curious, no intentions on going to college. Lets say you went for a business degree. What would be better? Accounting, Finance, Economics, Marketing or Management. Or go Business Admin, get a broader background? Again, no intentions. Just curious.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
For sure go to the cc then transfer. That is financially a safe haven. Getting a degree with 10k in debt rather than 100k. I was in a similar situation as you when I graduated. Knocked out my CC course work and am not getting scholarships to transfer to my school of choice. With the bulk of my 4 year degree knocked out. I also am getting a real estate license that folds into the bachelors degree. The best aspect is the financials. IDK about the CC you are choosing but chances are the classes are smaller and teachers aren't as pressed to fail you. They are there to teach not work on research projects. Also. Not that someone made this decision for me. But @JackEdwards made a good point in his college thread. You only get to do it once. And partying with hot sorority girls comes once a lifetime. If you go at say 25 you are the old dude on campus. You get the best of both worlds. Job experience. Way more money in your pocket when you do go to school. Way more than kids around you. Understanding of Justice system ---> transfer ---> friends, social life, maybe a few months of being careless.

also, how many businesses were started by dudes in a dorm? how many people could you find at school also getting out of the slowlane. Tread carefully.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
@Vigilante

I'm just curious, no intentions on going to college. Lets say you went for a business degree. What would be better? Accounting, Finance, Economics, Marketing or Management. Or go Business Admin, get a broader background? Again, no intentions. Just curious.

My personal opinion is no general business administration or business degree, or no liberal arts degree. There are hundreds of thousands of people out there with generic degrees that find they have no particular skill set to lend to an organization.

"What did you major in?"

"Business."

"What part?"

"Just...um...business."

I recommend that parents assist their kids who want to go to college to pursue a specific, precise expertise. So, accounting, business finance, econ, marketing. Not management, not business, not liberal arts. Specialization. I need to come out of college with a skill set that not everyone has. I want something that differentiates me from the crowd.

If I were going to do it today, here is what I would do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actuary

Hanalore

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 18, 2015
Pacific NW
Hey, you got this!

I will say though, you kind of set us up with your lack of self-confidence by starting off with, “I know y'all see this same post almost EVERY SINGLE DAY. But…” - almost prompting standard responses. With that said, I agree with all Valor’s input for sure. And here’s my comments from more of an analytical point of view, if you can take it…

You have considered changing – You said, “For most of my senior year, I have known… Today, however, a new thought dawned on me out of the blue.”

You have started looking at the process, but not quite there when you said, “There is a community college… “

Then back to considering change, but wham, you revisit ‘event planning’ when you said, “So, today, I've been thinking that maybe I should just go to community college…” Mediocrity, settling, revisiting what you’ve been told about the way things should be done. I suggest you read even the first portion of MJ’s book The Millionaire’s Fastlane with the free download. And if you have read it, read it again and again until you get this.

You are wavering, undecided, even apprehensive, and fearful. It won’t matter what anyone tells you until you decide that you want to change the way you’re doing things. You are searching for a step-by-step plan as to how to get rich – those are events but you need a process on how to do whatever it is you choose to do, whether it’s school, work, or becoming your own boss. Again, read MJ’s book The Millionaire’s Fastlane, not a plug but it is truly insightful.

You are seeking approval but lack your own approval when you said, “I'd just like to hear some other people's thoughts… I wouldn't be surprised if… what if the business fails?” I’ll tell you what I’ve told others – adults wanting to start a business and young adults starting a new life on their own (even my own kids) – you got this! Just make a choice and stick to it. Life does not end with your bad choices or failure… you got this!

G

GuestUser202

I have to say, even reading the free download portion of MJ's book, REALLY inspired me! So I HAD to buy it so I could finish it. Personally, and again, its YOUR choice, I'd skip college and start your own business, especially if you have an idea or plan already. I'm sure anyone on here could mention any number of people that went to college, graduated and are not using their education. Quick Google search and I find 52.3% of people are not happy with their job (http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2014/06/20/most-americans-are-unhappy-at-work/) and 47% of recent college grads do not even get a job within their degree field (http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...degree-many-college-grads-never-work-/273665/).

I can tell you that of the 2 straight years (yes, no summer vacations) of college for me, I am using little to none of my education. Granted, it DID get me jobs in my field of study, but I don't use what I've learned. Interesting note...My 2nd IT job, after I was hired, I heard the hiring manger say, "You hire on personality. Technically skills can be taught," and others around the hiring manager agree in unison.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in college as it works for some, and it's a good backup plan, but all in all, I'd MUCH rather have my own business making ME money, not someone else. The 9-5 rat race is no fun.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.