The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your take on launching 2 businesses with a friend?

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
I personally understand that there is a ceiling to what I can accomplish on my own, as a sole-proprietor. My gut tells me that the size of a company a single man can own and operate is somewhere between $0 and probably around $1M.

Maybe there is an exceptional business person out there who can, all on their own, create a company that provides $5M of value to the world.

But to create a massive impact you will ultimately need not just one person to rely on...but a whole team.

IMHO the key isn't to find a way to do everything yourself, but to find a way to attract the right people to accomplish the tasks you need done.

(I fully expect you, @Luffy , to somehow twist this into some sort of attack/argument. I am posting this for the benefit of the discussion on how/when to choose the right partner.)
Read my first quote in my signature. I'm fully aware you can't do everything yourself but I'm also not a fan of asking for help or creating partnerships unless it's really necessary.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
No, it's not me I was simply a member but I know the guy who got screwed over. I was a member over there so I heard all members were banned too so I guess I'm out aswell, didn't check though. I didn't really care about that forum besides the beastly domain name. I want to actually buy the domain name or have something similar when I create my own forum. This is why I want to lea you can never rely on someone more than yourself. Besides, partnerships kinda break the commandent of control in CENTS.

That's an example how value is very subjective. I had no idea what "Luffy" was so I had to finally Google it. Now I know who your avatar is, haha. One of my cousins definitely knows all about that stuff.

That's also a pretty great way to capture a niche (group of people) -- through the domain alone. What about "ItsCaptainLuffy.com"? Just a quick thought.

Anyways, I thought of testing myself in starting a practice forum too. I read that https://www.phpbb.com/ is the most popular free and open-source forum software. Check it out if you're serious man. Maybe it's worth using something more advanced like Xenforo though.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
That's an example how value is very subjective. I had no idea what "Luffy" was so I had to finally Google it. Now I know who your avatar is, haha. One of my cousins definitely knows all about that stuff.

That's also a pretty great way to capture a niche (group of people) -- through the domain alone. What about "ItsCaptainLuffy.com"? Just a quick thought.

Anyways, I thought of testing myself in starting a practice forum too. I read that https://www.phpbb.com/ is the most popular free and open-source forum software. Check it out if you're serious man. Maybe it's worth using something more advanced like Xenforo though.
Thanks alot man, yeah I'm serious about it. I already asked an admin on a forum if he could teach me stuff who used xenforo, like mentor me on creating my own site. Yeah it's a niche group and I love the series One Piece, Luffy is my favorite character in all fiction, even counting real movies.

G

GuestUser113

Wheres that Luffy meme when you need it :banghead:

I got you covered, snake.

XhWtpgh.jpg

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Thanks alot man, yeah I'm serious about it. I already asked an admin on a forum if he could teach me stuff who used xenforo, like mentor me on creating my own site. Yeah it's a niche group and I love the series One Piece, Luffy is my favorite character in all fiction, even counting real movies.

You're welcome and take full advantage of that opportunity! I can tell you're a mega fan, haha. :D

The thread is straying off of the original topic, but all the best to you man.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
I say have your friend start something and you start something. Give yourselves 60 days from the "Grand Opening" date to get sales. If you can both accomplish that on your own then talk after about partnering on something. However, I doubt you'll want a partner then... I doubt he'll want you either.

Ses

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 14, 2014
I say have your friend start something and you start something. Give yourselves 60 days from the "Grand Opening" date to get sales. If you can both accomplish that on your own then talk after about partnering on something. However, I doubt you'll want a partner then... I doubt he'll want you either.
Although i already started something, i´m saving this idea in case my business fails/i sell it soon!

Ses

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 14, 2014
One business is hard enough and you want to start 2 at the same time? Yeah you're 18 alright.

Not really what i meant. I meant like having one thing to be able to live off and then, when established, building a flagship business :)

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Not really what i meant. I meant like having one thing to be able to live off and then, when established, building a flagship business :)
Then start and do something. And ditch the friend. If he's not really smart, he's just dead weight. If he's as smart as you say, he'll F*ck you over.

Phillipbro

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 10, 2013
Ontario
Some of the things I learned:
1. Don't mix business with friends.
2. Have full control of your business, no one is going to put in as much effort as you will.
3. Focus on ONE thing, DOMINATE that ONE thing, rinse and repeat.

Ses

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 14, 2014
Then start and do something. And ditch the friend. If he's not really smart, he's just dead weight. If he's as smart as you say, he'll F*ck you over.

See the post two posts above yours ;) And probably true!

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Oil and water.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.