The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your take on launching 2 businesses with a friend?

Ses

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 14, 2014
I am currently 18 and live in a small appartment with a good friend (both studying). I have a blog with a strong social media presence running and would use it for marketing for my new product (everything already planned). As i have more ideas than just that one, i thought about creating multiple businesses with him as he is a very good friend, very intelligent and smart and from my point of view better suited for the fastlane than anyone else i know. I think he would like this idea, since he studies mathematics to "get rich" and he always likes new "adventures" (i don´t know how to express it properly in english). What do you think? Did anyone of you try this? Did it work? Currently i think involving him would be a good idea, since 2 minds can think and work more than 1 mind and we could complement each other.
Thanks in advance for your replies, Ses

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
I'd give it a try, because having a business partner you like could give you the motivation to keep going when things inevitably don't go as you planned.

On the other hand, figure out which is more important to you--keeping your friend or your business--as it very well could come down to that. Sit down with him and discuss the possibility of your partnership failing and your options in case that happens.

Personally, I am starting up a business alone, but would welcome the opportunity to work with friends that own their own complementary businesses--that way you are not in the same exact sphere, but you still work together in a mutually beneficial relationship.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Start with one business.

Also, friends as partners usually suck. Sometimes they don't. But they usually do. Basically, your partner needs to be contributing either (a) labor or (b) capital. A 50/50 partner needs to be putting up as much labor as you do capital, or vice versa, or both. If the partnership falls out, typically the friendship goes with it. Think statistically here.

Also:

(everything already planned)

Somehow I doubt that, mate

Birdie

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 24, 2014
Miami, FL
I am currently 18 and live in a small appartment with a good friend (both studying). I have a blog with a strong social media presence running and would use it for marketing for my new product (everything already planned). As i have more ideas than just that one, i thought about creating multiple businesses with him as he is a very good friend, very intelligent and smart and from my point of view better suited for the fastlane than anyone else i know. I think he would like this idea, since he studies mathematics to "get rich" and he always likes new "adventures" (i don´t know how to express it properly in english). What do you think? Did anyone of you try this? Did it work? Currently i think involving him would be a good idea, since 2 minds can think and work more than 1 mind and we could complement each other.
Thanks in advance for your replies, Ses

What does he really bring to the table?
Has he ever made a sale? Does he know about marketing, setting up a website, doing accounting? What are his SKILLS?
Would he be willing to put capital into the business? What percent of your profits will you share?
What will happen if he gets tired of the business and wants out? Will you keep working for him while he passively receives the money?

I would definitely bring him in once you have already made some sales. Like jazb said, focus on making sales, sales, sales.

Once you have a proven concept, you can bring in anyone who is willing to help with capital or putting sweat equity.

Do not bring him in just to have "someone to brainstorm" or to assure you of your choices. It seems like you look up to him and he would override your opinions since you think he is very "wise".

However, if he is willing to invest into it, then by all means bring him in. He should have a stake in your business- both if you fail or if you win, so that it doesn't feel unproportional, if you are doing all the work and he takes it as a hobby.

Good luck:)

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
I am starting a consultant business. My plan is to productize and pass clients to employees (who are my friends, but they're not partners). Turn that into income with me doing very minimal work then use money generated from that to get into importing, and if i bring a friend there, (s)he will be an employee. Maybe establish you're the boss and he works for you if you're unsure. Also i recommend following my method, build a business, make it passive income, build something with higher margins, repeat

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
I think it might be good if you're both motivated, personally I'm going solo and in the process of learning to create my own website.

Ses

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 14, 2014
wish I had a friend who was as serious about business as I am.

I think he would be, because if he does things, he does them properly (for example, he was the best student
Start with one business.

Also, friends as partners usually suck. Sometimes they don't. But they usually do. Basically, your partner needs to be contributing either (a) labor or (b) capital. A 50/50 partner needs to be putting up as much labor as you do capital, or vice versa, or both. If the partnership falls out, typically the friendship goes with it. Think statistically here.

Somehow I doubt that, mate

I planned the ways i will go, not every situation that will occur on this way :) Solid advice

What does he really bring to the table?
Has he ever made a sale? Does he know about marketing, setting up a website, doing accounting? What are his SKILLS?
Would he be willing to put capital into the business? What percent of your profits will you share?
What will happen if he gets tired of the business and wants out? Will you keep working for him while he passively receives the money?

I would definitely bring him in once you have already made some sales. Like jazb said, focus on making sales, sales, sales.

Once you have a proven concept, you can bring in anyone who is willing to help with capital or putting sweat equity.

Do not bring him in just to have "someone to brainstorm" or to assure you of your choices. It seems like you look up to him and he would override your opinions since you think he is very "wise".

However, if he is willing to invest into it, then by all means bring him in. He should have a stake in your business- both if you fail or if you win, so that it doesn't feel unproportional, if you are doing all the work and he takes it as a hobby.

Good luck:)

Best response in this thread (i think). Thanks :)

Thanks for all the other responses!

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
As my good friend once put it, "The fastest sinking ship, is a partnership."

LOL. That is a fun quote, but they definitely are not all bad.

Both people need to bring something unique to the table. Based on watching some people in my life that own a very successful business and are partners, you both need to work extremely hard, and be able to trust each other 100% without having to micromanage.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
As my good friend once put it, "The fastest sinking ship, is a partnership."

LOL. That is a fun quote, but they definitely are not all bad.

Both people need to bring something unique to the table. Based on watching some people in my life that own a very successful business and are partners, you both need to work extremely hard, and be able to trust each other 100% without having to micromanage.
There is an admin on a certain forum who had a partner who sold the forum behind his back, banned him and changed the site. The one who sold it is also the one who created the site so he was a co-founder, the other guy is undergoing lawsuit after having spent around thousand dollars on the site, that quote is very true in alot of cases.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
It's nearly impossible to do anything great without a great co-founder and great team.

But these relationships are like marriages. They should not be entered lightly.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
It's nearly impossible to do anything great without a great co-founder and great team.

But these relationships are like marriages. They should not be entered lightly.
You won't be very self sufficient with that mindset, I don't share your opinion.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
You won't be very self sufficient with that mindset, I don't share your opinion.
Being self sufficient and creating a $1B+ company are two different things. Fact is very few (if any??) $B companies were sole founder. That's fact not opinion.

Regarding opinions, can you give me a reason why yours is my concern? Or how you can possibly know mine?

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Being self sufficient and creating a $1B+ company are two different things. Fact is very few (if any??) $B companies were sole founder. That's fact not opinion.

Regarding opinions, can you give me a reason why yours is my concern? Or how you can possibly know mine?
You made it sound like not having a team or partner means you can't succeed which I didn't agree with, I don't know what else you're talking about.

mthw

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 14, 2014
You are 18, don't think about ''business'' so hard. just focus on sales. sell one thing...then another...and another

There's a lot of good quotes on this thread, but this was my favorite one cuz that's all that matters to me, SALES. If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense.

But as for you going into business with your friend, it just depends on how invested he will be, if he's actually as serious about it as you are then go for it. But just cuz he says he's serious doesn't mean he is, in the back of his mind he could be thinking something else, that's where trust comes in tho. Either he's putting in work or putting in some cash to help get it started but if he doesn't at least carry his weight then give him the boot, cuz if he's not grinding with you he ain't even gonna trip about getting the boot anyway. I never started a business with my homies, but I know for damn sure I wouldn't be relying on any of em lol, I only have 2 homies that I know I could trust 100% and wouldn't have to be worried about them handling their's, well actually me and those 2 homies used to have a business going, but it was the type of business that Uncle Sam didn't know about lol
But that's why I liked what he said, it's all about getting those sales, if your friend ain't a snake and you trust him then see how it goes, but just remember that nobodies going to put in the same energy, effort, and time into it than you are.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
There is an admin on a certain forum who had a partner who sold the forum behind his back, banned him and changed the site. The one who sold it is also the one who created the site so he was a co-founder, the other guy is undergoing lawsuit after having spent around thousand dollars on the site, that quote is very true in alot of cases.

What was the name of the forum?

[HASHTAG]#Shady[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#DudeWheresMyForum[/HASHTAG]

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
CaptainLuffy.net

I thought you were trolling, but I guess it's a legit site. I almost didn't even check haha. Because of your forum name I'm assuming you were the guy who got screwed over, am I right?

Edit: The site seems to be down now.

Last edited:

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Partnerships CAN be beneficial under the absolute right circumstances. And it is true that sometimes they are even necessary.

So, two questions?

1. How is this partnership beneficial to your business? Like @Birdie said, what does he bring to the table? His strengths should cover your weaknesses. If he is similar to you (like a lot of friends tend to be), then you might just end up spinning your wheels together and not really accomplish your goals.

2. Is having this partnership NECESSARY? Sure, it sounds great to think of having a partner, but will you still feel the same when you are bringing in a few millions of dollars a year in profit and having to give this guy 20 - 50% of it? Will you regret having taken him on at the beginning because you didn't feel confident enough to do it yourself? I'm not saying that you will, or that you won't, but you have to ask yourself this question, and answer it HONESTLY.

If it sounds like I'm against this idea of a partnership, it is because I've had terrible experiences in the past and lost some friendships. For me to enter into another partnership in the future, it would NEVER be with a family member or close friend, and it would ONLY be if it looked something like this:

1. I'm 1000% invested in the idea and the plan. Like I mean so excited that I am having trouble sleeping at night because of it.
2. My partner was so excited that they are having trouble sleeping at night (read: just as invested emotionally in the business as me)
3. They brought something (like money - especially money - or a skill - like a proprietary idea or intellectual property - that I can't hire someone to do - it's usually better just to hire an employee or freelancer!!) to the deal that the business absolutely won't be successful without.

For me, if the partnership doesn't look like the above, I'm going at it alone.

If the partnership with your friend isn't how I described, you might be better off seeing what you can do on your own. You might have some good success, and you'll have a MUCH better idea of what you might need/want in a partner for your future ventures. Just my advice :) Good luck.

MikeRaymond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Feb 15, 2015
Personally I have done a project with both a friend, and, a family member.

Both which let me down to not being able to keep up with my high work rate. This caused massive upset in chemistry and greatly effected profits.

I was refusing for them to make a passive income from nothing.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
I thought you were trolling, but I guess it's a legit site. I almost didn't even check haha. Because of your forum name I'm assuming you were the guy who got screwed over, am I right?

Edit: The site seems to be down now.
No, it's not me I was simply a member but I know the guy who got screwed over. I was a member over there so I heard all members were banned too so I guess I'm out aswell, didn't check though. I didn't really care about that forum besides the beastly domain name. I want to actually buy the domain name or have something similar when I create my own forum. This is why I want to lea you can never rely on someone more than yourself. Besides, partnerships kinda break the commandent of control in CENTS.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
This is why I want to learn stuff myself, you can never rely on someone more than yourself.
I personally understand that there is a ceiling to what I can accomplish on my own, as a sole-proprietor. My gut tells me that the size of a company a single man can own and operate is somewhere between $0 and probably around $1M.

Maybe there is an exceptional business person out there who can, all on their own, create a company that provides $5M of value to the world.

But to create a massive impact you will ultimately need not just one person to rely on...but a whole team.

IMHO the key isn't to find a way to do everything yourself, but to find a way to attract the right people to accomplish the tasks you need done.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.